• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
You can't be serious. There is no way you can have an authentic Lloyd experience without running out of MP in the first minute of battle, then die because your damage output isn't high enough and your healers ran out of MP.
I will never understand how in the world I manage to drain half of my MP in the first 5 seconds of battle.

Ps: Small correction to my previous post, Lloyd has in fact something like a counter, available through an Exskill, but I think we all can agree we don't want more anime swordsman with a counter.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Actually. I take back what I said.

Boss Rush mode. Add new bosses in to boot:
-Grunty
-Master Core
-Eggman
and...

wait for it.

-A Dark Souls boss

It's true Dark Souls deserves some form of recognition in Smash, and Bamco something else added in, but like with MH, it doesn't have to be with a character. A boss in fact would do a much better job of capturing the essence of what DaS is in Smash too. And Boss Rush mode from Brawl returning would be dope.
Has nobody mentioned Necrozma- the only truly "villainous" Pokemon after Mewtwo (who is already a playable fighter), who actively played a role as one in USUM? I get that not many people like USUM because it was like a 40$ DLC but to ignore that amazing boss fight against him would be an insult.
Also, his whole shtick is "Steals light, becomes light monster" something that would have felt less out of place as a boss than say Giga Bowser.

Titan Dweevil would have been a nice boss but Pikmin is too obscure to warrant much beyond a few spirits. Plasm Wraith and that thing from Hey! Pikmin are more modern but the Plasm Wraith has that weird plasm destroying gimmic and nobody played Hey! Pikmin

Duon I would love to see back but Galleom kinda took the "Subspace Mech" role from he.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Cool: Phoenix Wright.
Cute: KOS-MOS.

edit: you can even switch them and nothing changes :3
Sakurai’s cute doesn’t mean cute girls lmao. KOS-MOS would definitely fall under “cool”.

I would argue that Klonoa feels more deserving, Especially after Banjo (Who's been dead for just as long if not longer) got in... but I don't want to seem like I'm promoting propaganda for my own thread or whatever.

Wouldn't even be complaining about Tales if Pac-Man were:

A. Still being used properly as a franchise outside of Smash
or
B. I had some smidget of World representation in Smash. (The U-Air doesn't count, nearly half the roster has similar U-airs. I doubt it was an intentional reference.)

...But alas, Namco has been absolutely terrible with their so-claimed "flagship franchise" as of late.
It’s okay to want Klonoa, but you have to be realistic. The Klonoa series is super niche & didn’t sell well; I had never even heard of it before he started being requested for Smash.

Tales is a much more popular series. When it comes to “deserving” it, then Tales deserves a spot much more. Unless you think all cartoony performers deserve a chance in Smash, for some reason.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And this is what reverted them to making more nostalgia pandering rehashes and worse yet: cheap mobile games and gambling machines.

The CE games are going the way of the New Super Mario Bros. series at this point, Hell, CE2 wasn't even as well-received as it's predecessor. The nostalgia hype train is running dry at this point because gaming has evolved so much at this point. And people like me aren't going to buy the OG Pac-Man for the upbillionth time when we already have owned several versions of it in the past. Also for your last statement, Tales is being overused by Namco themselves so it is kind of their fault. THAT'S why I blame the series and hold such resentment.

I'm sorry, But Championship Edition's time of reigning supreme is coming to an end. People aren't buying into it anymore if CE2's mixed reception is any indication. But because Namco has drove Pac into this evolutionary dead-end, People think there is nothing that can be done with the franchise anymore which is a complete asinine mindset to have.

You can only ride off nostalgia for so long before it starts to wear off. This is legit why Pac-Man is in the rut he is in today.
I mean, is it really in a rut? Championship Edition 2 was pretty great and Pac-Man 256 is a fantastic mobile game. It's only been a couple of years since these, so it's nothing severe.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I haven’t played Vesperia (I own it but haven’t played it yet...deep backlog), I don’t think there would be anything wrong with Lloyd being the pick, especially because I just feel his moveset would be pretty cool.

There was an article brought to my attention today concerning Bethesda and the audience their games bring to the Switch. If I get the link i’ll share it in here.

I’m still feeling pretty good about Resident Evil getting a playable pick (the series itself just seems like it would snugly fit with the other legacy franchises). I may be alone in saying it, but looking at the all-star roster in Smash already, Resident Evil not being there would be kinda weird, just by being among the largest gaming franchises not in Smash, it’s weird.

Other than that, i’m having slight doubts with Namco. Seems like it could be a three-way split between Namco, Bethesda and Activision , with Tekken/Tales, DOOM, and Crash respectively.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Sakurai’s cute doesn’t mean cute girls lmao. KOS-MOS would definitely fall under “cool”.

It’s okay to want Klonoa, but you have to be realistic. The Klonoa series is super niche & didn’t sell well; I had never even heard of it before he started being requested for Smash.

Tales is a much more popular series. When it comes to “deserving” it, then Tales deserves a spot much more. Unless you think all cartoony performers deserve a chance in Smash, for some reason.
I'd rather just have some variety again after 2 JRPG reps. Also, I am realistic... But I'm not happy about it in the slightest. Klonoa doesn't have a great chance, It'd be a miracle if he made it in. But at the same time, I'm expecting the worst and for Namco to end up shilling the Tales franchise more than it already has been for the past 5 years. The fact it's overshadowing their flagship franchise in terms of production and how many games are being put out (Tales is literally close to becoming a yearly franchise) yeah.

I'm sorry if I sound childish, But I have a very good reason for blaming it out of belief it's keeping all their other IPs pretty much dead. And the fact most Tales fans I have met insist their franchise should be milked more and prioritized over everything else is just insulting.
I mean, is it really in a rut? Championship Edition 2 was pretty great and Pac-Man 256 is a fantastic mobile game. It's only been a couple of years since these, so it's nothing severe.
Pac-Man is being seen as that one IP that "you can't do anything with anymore", So yes, It is severe. They drove him into an evolutionary dead-end and failing to give the fans what they actually want is what is making him spiral into irrelevancy. He's drilling down into the earth's core at this point. As much flack as Sonic has gotten over the past few years, People don't think his IP should die off because rather outragous claims or "He was Mario's rival in the 90's"... yet these same people say Pac-Man is something that has outlived his worth and needs to drop dead.

And as it stands, Pac-Man right now is about as good as a dead franchise. If he isn't already, He's a zombie.
1562608792012.png
1562608843064.png

1562608854639.png

I'm sorry, But you are just being in denial if you think his series has any dignity left after Ghostly Adventures. The lack of bigger scale/budget games is outright killing the franchise. This is why Pac-Man is so easily **** on in the gaming community these days: all we've been getting are cheap mobile games (I'll give you 256 but even then that was still a simple mobile endless runner in an already saturated market), random promotions (IE: Red Bull) and of course as of recently: gambling. Konami-level horror. Also I just want to end this off saying I've met plenty of people young and old who grew up playing the original arcade game. They aren't playing 256, CE2 or what have you. This is how low Pac has stooped.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd rather just have some variety again after 2 JRPG reps. Also, I am realistic... But I'm not happy about it in the slightest. Klonoa doesn't have a great chance, It'd be a miracle if he made it in. But at the same time, I'm expecting the worst and for Namco to end up shilling the Tales franchise more than it already has been for the past 5 years. The fact it's overshadowing their flagship franchise in terms of production and how many games are being put out (Tales is literally close to becoming a yearly franchise) yeah.

I'm sorry if I sound childish, But I have a very good reason for blaming it out of belief it's keeping all their other IPs pretty much dead. And the fact most Tales fans I have met insist their franchise should be milked more and prioritized over everything else is just insulting.

Pac-Man is being seen as that one IP that "you can't do anything with anymore", So yes, It is severe. They drove him into an evolutionary dead-end and failing to give the fans what they actually want is what is making him spiral into irrelevancy. He's drilling down into the earth's core at this point. As much flack as Sonic has gotten over the past few years, People don't think his IP should die off because rather outragous claims or "He was Mario's rival in the 90's"... yet these same people say Pac-Man is something that has outlived his worth and needs to drop dead.

And as it stands, Pac-Man right now is about as good as a dead franchise. If he isn't already, He's a zombie.

I'm sorry, But you are just being in denial if you think his series has any dignity left after Ghostly Adventures. The lack of bigger scale/budget games is outright killing the franchise. This is why Pac-Man is so easily **** on in the gaming community these days: all we've been getting are cheap mobile games (I'll give you 256 but even then that was still a simple mobile endless runner in an already saturated market), random promotions (IE: Red Bull) and of course as of recently: gambling. Konami-level horror. Also I just want to end this off saying I've met plenty of people young and old who grew up playing the original arcade game. They aren't playing 256, CE2 or what have you. This is how low Pac has stooped.
I have never heard anyone say Pac-Man as a series should die.

D

Deleted member

In regards to a Tales character, I'm far more interested in seeing the general reactions to Lloyd than I am actually wanting him in Smash since Velvet looks like a better pick for Tales. As much as I think the amount of **** anime swordfighters get is blown out of proportion, I'm curious to see the overall reception to Lloyd, who happens to be a JRPG anime swordsman but with 2 swords. Will it be overall positive? Will it be a mixed bag? Who knows exactly what the reactions would be. I do think putting a Tales character in Smash as the last Fighter Pack would not be as well received than if they were 4th though. Lloyd would've probably benefited a lot more being in the 2nd Fighter Pack if you ask me.

I still think people overall are sleeping on Soulcalibur though in terms of a Namco character being in the Fighter Pass, more specifically Nightmare since Project Soul even has him as their logo. I don't exactly know how different Soulcalibur is to Tekken since they're both 3D fighting games, but I've always loved the idea of closing the Fighter Pass with the very franchise that essentially made crossovers as big as it is today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
alright I know this is off-topic but Here's My 9th question(A pretty scary question if you take a to moment to think about it).

how would you feel if psasbr 2 is announced and then got your most wanted characters(Crash,Spyro,Lara Croft, Sora, 2B, Geno, Doomslayer, LIoyd, phoenix wright, etc.) and put non video characters(Goku, Spider-Man, SpongeBob) along the way just so your most wanted video game characters won't be in smash.

D

Deleted member

I still think people overall are sleeping on Soulcalibur though in terms of a Namco character being in the Fighter Pass, more specifically Nightmare since Project Soul even has him as their logo. I don't exactly know how different Soulcalibur is to Tekken since they're both 3D fighting games, but I've always loved the idea of closing the Fighter Pass with the very franchise that essentially made crossovers as big as it is today.
Soul Calibur might be a tricky one to translate to Smash moveset because it relies on mixing sword movements together and from what I’ve seen of it, doesn’t really have much in the way of aerial attacks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
alright I know this is off-topic but Here's My 9th question(A pretty scary question if you take a to moment to think about it).

how would you feel if psasbr 2 is announced and then got your most wanted characters(Crash,Spyro,Lara Croft, Sora, 2B, Geno, Doomslayer, LIoyd, phoenix wright, etc.) and put non video characters(Goku, Spider-Man, SpongeBob) along the way just so your most wanted video game characters won't be in smash.
First of all, if they put Geno in a Sony crossover, it'd be purely out of spite, which is amazing. They'd have my dollar.

Second, just because a character gets in PSASBR doesn't mean they can't still be in Smash. That sounds like a fan rule to me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I wouldn't really take what Famanonice has to say as gospel.
Basically this. I bring bits and pieces here that I'm allowed to talk about and a lot of it is my own speculation on what we talk about in private. What I say is usually vague or speculative because I'm not the source of the Info. This latest incidence was me mistaking Sabi's main Nintendo source speculation/commentary as an actual statement on what was to come. In short, I'm a garbage person who happens to talk to people who actually matter.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
With Joker having his rebellion gauge and Hero having his mana/menu system, what other gameplay mechanics or gimmicks would you like to be explored with a DLC character?
I could see if Jin or Kazuya are added as a Bamco rep. They could have a devil gauge, which when full they can transform to Devil Jin or Devil Kazuya and be able to have more powerful attacks, use their devil beam and fly. Once the gauge is finished they go back to a regular brawler.

This idea could also work for Dante if he was added, except that his moves would either be empowered. Or have completely different moves in his devil form, since Dante has so many weapons.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Has nobody mentioned Necrozma- the only truly "villainous" Pokemon after Mewtwo (who is already a playable fighter), who actively played a role as one in USUM?
If we're going to have a new Pokemon boss, it should either be Arceus, the all-powerful god of Pokemon. Or Giratina, who is basically Pokemon's equivalent of the devil.

Personally, I'd prefer Giratina, because it's more of a villain. But Arceus would still be fine because it'd just be one of the "Light" bosses of World of Light.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I don't even post much here, and people are talking about Agumon.
Thats great!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Guilty. A vast majority of the games since the arcade era have been hilariously awful. That's why I'm glad Pac-Man in Smash is so charming and well designed concept wise.
Sir, I think we are going to have a problem.

...But I'm not going to argue, I'll leave it at that. I really don't want to escalate drama. All I will say is you are honestly wrong considering the 2000's were essentially the peak of his career post 1980.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Second, just because a character gets in PSASBR doesn't mean they can't still be in Smash. That sounds like a fan rule to me.
Case in point: Raiden, who's playable in the first PSASBR (and high / borderline top tier there IIRC) and a Spirit (Legend tier) in Ultimate. Technically he's the first PSASBR character to cross over into Smash. And before anyone asks, both his All-Stars and Smash appearances draw from his MGS4 / Rising self.

Elated. Mostly.

No seriously. I do feel that Smash needs some competition for its long term health, so Nintendo doesn't get complacent with Smash. We've had enough bad Smash clones as is. I'm not counting Shrek Super Slam though - that game's a "So Bad It's a Mastahpiece!".

Except for characters like Geno being in there, which - even for a non-Geno fan like me - would feel extremely odd. Then again, it a) Doesn't stop Geno from being in Smash, see above,* and b) wouldn't be the first time PSASBR had extremely odd characters (*Big Daddy crashes through the wall to make the point.*). And that's ignoring the characters people had beefs with at the time. Still, if Geno's going to make an appearance I lean heavily towards him going to a Smash game.

That aside, the most important point I'd make about PSASBR 2 is gameplay related. To writ, I have one thing:

Supers should not be the only way to secure kills. Seriously, that alone wrecked Dan Fortesque since his Level 1's aimed at an awkward angle. It would also help the competitive scene: PSASBR 1's high / top tiers all have attacks that can easily kill confirm into supers. Or, in layman terms, attacks that make sure the victim can't avoid the Super at all. Dabuz (Pro Smash player, 4 and Ultimate) actually was the best All-Stars player out there, and by looking at his tourney footage one can see something big: the pros waited until they could kill confirm or have enough reserve energy so they could whiff a super and still have something in the tank.

Also, more thought should be placed into balancing Level 2s / 3s if they are to be retained. Screen clears (which net 3 kills and that's that) are by design going to be underpowered compared to Kratos' transformation, which screams "Screw you, I can one shot you 3 times each for 9 kills!"

*(Conversely, Smash is not stopping Cloud, Snake or Joker from getting into All-Stars 2 - thing is, they're going to be instantly compared to their Smash appearances. So it becomes much harder for Sony to justify them.)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like Pac-Man World 2, I haven't played the other two but they seem nice. Plus, in the third game, Pac-Man was voiced by the same guy who voiced Thomas the Tank Engine, apparently.

Sucks that Namco likes to pretend they don't exist.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Since me and the boys were humoring it, what's the consensus on him?

1562620149265.png

If you don't know, Jonesy is his name. Fortnite was a single-player campaign shooter before it developed the battle royale mode its most known for. He is an actual character with lore, and he's basically the Heavy of the series from what I understand.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

View attachment 230541

If you don't know, Jonesy is his name. Fortnite was a single-player campaign shooter before it developed the battle royale mode its most known for. He is an actual character with lore, and he's basically the Heavy of the series from what I understand.
It could happen. He’s certainly unique enough. He’d have to stand the test of time and prove that Fortnite isn’t just some fad, though. Adding in Jonsey now could be a reckless move. Fortnite is popular, but if it loses that popularity in a year and the next thing comes, then that would be an issue.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Here's something I've never seen brought up before:

I wonder if Gamefreak would have any qualms with Yokai Watch or Digimon being included in Smash alongside Pokemon?

While Yo Kai Watch is now on a sharp decline in popularity, it still managed to steal the spotlight from Pokemon for at least a year. And possibly influenced things like the Sun&Moon anime's art direction and the creation of Z-Moves.

A year is not very long at all in a big company's eyes I'm sure, but we know that Nintendo had more of a say in what characters ended up in the Fighters Pass than usual; I wonder if Gamefreak (who Nintendo doesn't fully own) would request Nintendo to prevent a character from their biggest rival from appearing in the same game as Pokemon?

As for Digimon, I'll admit I know nothing about the series these days. I don't know if Digimon and Pokemon even compete for the same demographic anymore. But the rivalry sure seemed fierce on 90's playgrounds!

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I wonder if Gamefreak would have any qualms with Yokai Watch or Digimon being included in Smash alongside Pokemon?

While Yo Kai Watch is now on a sharp decline in popularity, it still managed to steal the spotlight from Pokemon for at least a year. And possibly influenced things like the Sun&Moon anime's art direction and the creation of Z-Moves.

A year is not very long at all in a big company's eyes I'm sure, but we know that Nintendo had more of a say in what characters ended up in the Fighters Pass then usual; I wonder if Gamefreak (whom Nintendo doesn't fully own) would request Nintendo to prevent a character from their biggest rival from appearing in the same game as Pokemon?

As for Digimon, I'll admit I know nothing about the series these days. I don't know if Digimon and Pokemon even compete for the same demographic anymore. But the rivalry sure seemed fierce on 90's playgrounds!
The rivalry isn’t very fierce nowadays, so I doubt it’d be an issue.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
What are they gonna do, threaten Sakurai?
No. That's... quite a takeaway from my post.
As I said: As far as we know, Nintendo created the first draft of characters, and then Sakurai picked from there. From what he himself said, it seems like Nintendo was more involved in who got into the Fighter's Pass than the base game.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

A year is not very long at all in a big company's eyes I'm sure, but we know that Nintendo had more of a say in what characters ended up in the Fighters Pass than usual; I wonder if Gamefreak (who Nintendo doesn't fully own) would request Nintendo to prevent a character from their biggest rival from appearing in the same game as Pokemon?

Digimon has never been a conceivable threat to Pokemon unlike Yokai Watch. Even in Japan Pokemon crushed Digimon under its heel for its whole run.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

The "rivaly" between Pokemon and Yokai Watch seems to be more of a fanbase thing than a thing between Gamefreak and Level-5. The two companies seem to be on friendly terms with each other from what I've seen. At least Hino himself stated that he doesn't personally view Pokemon as a rival for Yokai Watch.

Even Nintendo themselves are supporting both franchises full on as well in the end, so overall, I don't think Gamefreak will have much of a say about it if Sakurai or Nintendo wanted to include Yokai Watch into Smash.

No comments on Digimon though as I'm not too familiar with what is going on with that series as far as the games go.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
First of all, if they put Geno in a Sony crossover, it'd be purely out of spite, which is amazing. They'd have my dollar.

well when I use the quote [so they never be in smash], I mean Sony forcing several companies(singing their character contracts to only psasbr 2, threating to drop studio support etc.) to put their third party characters to be on psasbr 2 instead of smash just so Sony can make money off of it the wrong way.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Digimon has never been a conceivable threat to Pokemon unlike Yokai Watch. Even in Japan Pokemon crushed Digimon under its heel for its whole run.
Pretty much this. We've already had the definitive Nintendo rivalry in Smash since Brawl. Whilst Digimon and Pokemon or Mario and Crash operated in the same spaces, the rivalries always felt one sided.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

View attachment 230541

Ngl I'd laugh my ass of if we ended up getting a Fortnite character, but only if the default dance is their victory animation. The idea of someone winning a Smash tournament and the loser getting default danced on is really funny to me for some reason.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Case in point: Raiden, who's playable in the first PSASBR (and high / borderline top tier there IIRC) and a Spirit (Legend tier) in Ultimate. Technically he's the first PSASBR character to cross over into Smash. And before anyone asks, both his All-Stars and Smash appearances draw from his MGS4 / Rising self.
Technically, he appeared in Brawl as a sticker before appearing in PSASBR. Also, before Raiden appeared as a Spirit this time, Heihachi appeared as a costume last time.

well when I use the quote [so they never be in smash], I mean Sony forcing several companies(singing their character contracts to only psasbr 2, threating to drop studio support etc.) to put their third party characters to be on psasbr 2 instead of smash just so Sony can make money off of it the wrong way.
I really doubt if we ever get another PSASBR, Sony will fund it with the budget sufficient enough for them to play that kind of superfluous exclusivity hardball with the third-parties.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that Game Freak would prevent a Digimon or Yokai Watch character from getting in Smash.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

View attachment 230541

no.

I'd literally rather Lloyd get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom