• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Apparently Sabi said the upcoming DQ Hero fighter pass video (like the one Joker got in April right before he released) would be extremely unpopular. What do you think they could mean by this?
No Geno Mii costume confirmed

but yeah, it looks to be implying heavily that DQ content in Smash will be as limited as Final Fantasy content, given that there might be a mix between SquareEnix being super protective of how their IPs are represented and the licensing for DQ's stuff like music and artwork probably being scattered all over the place. I don't really see there being another unpopular way for Hero's Fighter Pack video to go down unless it just so happens that the release date got pushed back to at least mid Fall.

KillerCage

Smash Master
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1045#post-23431754

This user has Discord ties to the leaker Sabi, the one who leaked Banjo and other stuff in the past. Apparently Sabi said the upcoming DQ Hero fighter pass video (like the one Joker got in April right before he released) would be extremely unpopular. What do you think they could mean by this?
Wouldn't this kill Mii Costume Theory as this implies that there won't be a lot of costumes from Square Enix?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wouldn't this kill Mii Costume Theory as this implies that there won't be a lot of costumes from Square Enix?
No, that wouldn't.

Mii Costume Theory is that costumes from the respective companies of the characters being focused on would be revealed in the character specific Direct. Thereby, as the theory suggests, the Hero would be accompanied by Mii Fighter costumes from stuff like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, The World Ends with You, Super Mario RPG, and others.

The scenario that would rid us of the Mii Costume Theory is if Namco or Capcom costumes are revealed alongside Square Enix content, or with Microsoft content in Banjo-Kazooie's mini-Direct. Or at least, that's my take on Mii Costume Theory. The overall amount of costumes means nothing toward the Mii Costume Theory: it's what gets revealed and when.

Basically, the idea (which really isn't all that farfetched if you ask me) is that costumes related to the company of the revealed character are what would be revealed. The only precedent to go off of is Joker and Atlus/SEGA (because SEGA owns Atlus), but the bigger thing is if that precedent continues or doesn't.

So something like:
Hero Direct- Geno, Chocobo Hat, Sephiroth, etc
Banjo Kazooie- Mumbo Jumbo, Gruntilda, Jinjo, Master Chief, Joanna Dark, etc

Obviously it's entirely possible that costumes for different companies would be revealed in these Directs, for example Lloyd Irving and Heihachi in the Hero mini-Direct. I'm not saying that can't happen. It just comes down to what happens in the Hero and Banjo mini-Directs.

I happen to think it's possible that Capcom and Namco do get the final two characters. But by no means is that set in stone.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I honestly feel like the 4 alts for the Hero are not only to represent the overall series but to pad out his pack... since I feel like we won't get more songs than what's in the trailer.. so they made him the extra alts to help justify the lack of other content.. in this case song's and spirits

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
This time, Fatman clearly mentioned the info coming from Sabi's source.
Yeah I hang out in the Geno Thread a lot and even I know it's not a very good idea to take his word as gospel as it's mostly interesting Speculation.

I wouldn't exactly say he has no information whatsoever though as he is in contact with Sabi, Just take what he says with a grain of salt as while he makes a lot of interesting points and shares some information occasionally he still isn't an insider at all.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Actually. I take back what I said.

Boss Rush mode. Add new bosses in to boot:
-Grunty
-Master Core
-Eggman
and...

wait for it.

-A Dark Souls boss

It's true Dark Souls deserves some form of recognition in Smash, and Bamco something else added in, but like with MH, it doesn't have to be with a character. A boss in fact would do a much better job of capturing the essence of what DaS is in Smash too. And Boss Rush mode from Brawl returning would be dope.
Seems to be people responding with the bosses they want to see return:

Duon / Tabuu / Rayquaza / Porky and all the rest of the missing SSE bosses. Including ridley as a boss. You already got Master Core. Giga Bowser’s already there.

I want a Giga Donkey Kong.

I’d like Arceus as a new pokemon boss. If not him one of the fusion legendaries from black and white.

Got to agree with eggman.

Mother Brain would be great, but I’d rather Kraid.

Zoda (Star Tropics. I just want Star Tropics content)

A beatable version of the demon from mega man and the demon from the find mii stage.

Headlok (ARMs)

DJ Octavio (Splatoon)

And what I really want? Asynchronous multiplayer. One player plays as the boss against up to four challengers. At least do it for master hand. You’ve had it playable in 64 and in ultimate.

andree123

Smash Ace
This Laxchris video sounds better than pretty much every "leak" video taken from 4chan and other sites.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1045#post-23431754

This user has Discord ties to the leaker Sabi, the one who leaked Banjo and other stuff in the past. Apparently Sabi said the upcoming DQ Hero fighter pass video (like the one Joker got in April right before he released) would be extremely unpopular. What do you think they could mean by this?
It can only go two ways for me:
1) It's not really that interesting on the long run.
2) It has the Geno Mii costume on it, and maybe some other Square outfits as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Probably the return of the Geno Mii Costume, and/or possibly a Sora Mii Costume or Spirit.

KillerCage

Smash Master
This Laxchris video sounds better than pretty much every "leak" video taken from 4chan and other sites.
Look, I'm willing to defend Billybo10K despite his occasional misinformed opinions, but Laxchris' practices on "leak" videos is indefensible. I recall hearing him say that he does what he does to pay for college. I find Laxchris to be an unreliable source for information.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Back when Isabelle was announced, Sakurai mentioned that he splits characters into two categories, “Cool” and “Cute”.

It’s not likely that Sakurai has any personal quotas for the amount of “cute” or “cool” characters, but for discussion sake, what two characters for the last slots for DLC do you feel would fit this dichotomy of “cool” and “cute”?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Back when Isabelle was announced, Sakurai mentioned that he splits characters into two categories, “Cool” and “Cute”.

It’s not likely that Sakurai has any personal quotas for the amount of “cute” or “cool” characters, but for discussion sake, what two characters for the last slots for DLC do you feel would fit this dichotomy of “cool” and “cute”?
Yuri Lowell and Reimu Hakurei

andree123

Smash Ace

Hmm, I wonder if the rumored female DLC fighter that Milk-BOSATU was talking about was "cute", but I really hope that was Colette because she looks like a fighting game character, she is cute, and plus she has to be paired up with Lloyd to fit in the partner theory.

And Sylux fits in well with "cool".

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

Cool: Phoenix Wright.
Cute: KOS-MOS.

edit: you can even switch them and nothing changes :3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cool: Ryu Hayabusa

Cute: Cooking Mama

It'd be an odd choice to have either of the 2 in the last Fighter Pack (maybe moreso with Cooking Mama), but boy wouldn't it be amazing to see?

KillerCage

Smash Master

Cool: Doom Slayer
Cute: Phoenix Wright

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which Wily Machine though?
I feel like MM8's has the best overall look to it.

They already nailed it by picking the best Wily Capsule. I hope they could do the same with the Wily Machine.
Vergil [Devil May Cry] or M. Bison [Street Fighter]
These make more sense as playable characters than as bosses.
Bald Bull / Mr. Sandman [Punch-Out]
No way. If anyone else from Punch-Out gets to be in the game, it's King Hippo. But I see him as more of an AT than a boss.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Style Savvy for cute - nothing's cuter than a shoujo fighter!

And then really any of the big names in speculation could be Cool right now, such as Resident Evil, any Bamco rep, etc. Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton aren't really in either category but they do have big female fanbases and Phoenix especially is a goofy non-fighter so they could fit cute perhaps. Interesting.

Lugia's song

Smash Rookie
I Hope: Lugia & Ho-Oh For Smash (Even though they put Incineroar in :) )​

I want to make the Picture smaller... Sorry... Also I Know that there is Incineroar in smash...​

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Style Savvy for cute - nothing's cuter than a shoujo fighter!

And then really any of the big names in speculation could be Cool right now, such as Resident Evil, any Bamco rep, etc. Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton aren't really in either category but they do have big female fanbases and Phoenix especially is a goofy non-fighter so they could fit cute perhaps. Interesting.
I think by “cute” he means more cartoony or humorous characters, despite not being cuddly I think someone like K. Rool would fit into the “cute” category due to his goofy animations.

Phoenix is kind of an anomaly, most of the time he’s a goofy character who’s the butt of a lot of jokes, but once he gets his stuff together he turns into a cool and competent badass. Similar situation with Layton except he’s not used as comic relief as much.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Cool: Ryu Hayabusa

Cute: Cooking Mama

It'd be an odd choice to have either of the 2 in the last Fighter Pack (maybe moreso with Cooking Mama), but boy wouldn't it be amazing to see?
I’m a sucker for unconventional fighters, so I would love Cooking Mama as a character in Smash. Would be interesting if she could make her own food items, a self healing character might be a cool gimmick if done correctly.

Lugia's song

Smash Rookie
We are NOT going to start the "Ridley is too big" argument again!

In all seriousness, their problem is being too broken.
Err... i think the guy was talking about the pic i posted...
Sorry if this pic is also too big​

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Apologies for coming in here to semi-vent and I don’t mean to exactly be rude but aside from me being worried about Namco milking Tales even more thanks to how overused it is outside of Smash, I hate how people overplay how popular/sucessful Symphonia was. I’ve stated this several times before: People claiming it was what Namco was known for back in the early 2000’s are completely wrong. Pac-Man World 2 literally outsold it in it’s hayday when it was still a Gamecube/PS2 exclusive. I’m legit getting tired of people acting like it was some sort of magnum opus.

Sadly though for reasons mentioned above: I have a gut feeling Lloyd is getting in and I... I don’t like it. I’ve had enough of the generic looking JRPG protagonists by this point, But aside from Sakurai mentioning him, the character getting a Mii costume and how much Namco loves to shill the franchise to the point it’s dethroned their flagship franchise in terms of production and games getting put out, yeah. I fear the worst.

People also really don’t give the Pac-Man World trilogy the credit it deserves considering it was a huge contributor to why people wanted Pac-Man in Smash to begin with. Yet we got jack squat and his representation has honestly got worse with Ultimate.

Yeah, I’m deeply bitter inside...

Lugia's song

Smash Rookie
I WAS referring to the picture. Lugia and Ho-Oh aren't too big; they're too broken.
Sorry about that... ill try to get a better one... here.

(sorry about what i said earlier about the "Big picture" i think u should forget about it because i only looked at the top message u had)​

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don't know about Lugia, but I distinctly remember that Ho-oh already appears in ultimate in the background of the fire portion of the Kalos Elite 4 stage.

Also a word of advice since you're new, try to limit the number of big images you post as it can cause slowdown for people viewing the thread on mobile devices. You can also put them in a Spoiler tab, which you can create by clicking on the icon next to the smiley face.
Example

Lugia's song

Smash Rookie
I don't know about Lugia, but I distinctly remember that Ho-oh already appears in ultimate in the background of the fire portion of the Kalos Elite 4 stage.

Also a word of advice since you're new, try to limit the number of big images you post as it can cause slowdown for people viewing the thread on mobile devices. You can also put them in a Spoiler tab, which you can create by clicking on the icon next to the smiley face.
Example
oh.. Thanks for that! I'll fix that. And i may just not add Ho-Oh then... Oh, and Lugia's a pokeball...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Are these really mutually exclusive concepts? Because a lot of characters tend to have overlap between those two. (i.e. :ultzelda:, :ultinkling:, :ultyounglink:,:ultpokemontrainer:/:ultpokemontrainerf:,:ultbanjokazooie:,:ultness:,:ultlucas:come to mind). And if Crash were included, he would fall in to this category as well IMO.

That being said, my most wanted character, Andy would fall in both categories as well. Although maybe a more towards the cool side of things with his brash, energetic attitude and summoning all kinds of war units.

If the next two had to be exclusive to one category, it could be something like Doomguy and Shantae (if we were to ignore her Spirit deconfirm).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Apologies for coming in here to semi-vent and I don’t mean to exactly be rude but aside from me being worried about Namco milking Tales even more thanks to how overused it is outside of Smash, I hate how people overplay how popular/sucessful Symphonia was. I’ve stated this several times before: People claiming it was what Namco was known for back in the early 2000’s are completely wrong. Pac-Man World 2 literally outsold it in it’s hayday when it was still a Gamecube/PS2 exclusive. I’m legit getting tired of people acting like it was some sort of magnum opus.

Sadly though for reasons mentioned above: I have a gut feeling Lloyd is getting in and I... I don’t like it. I’ve had enough of the generic looking JRPG protagonists by this point, But aside from Sakurai mentioning him, the character getting a Mii costume and how much Namco loves to shill the franchise to the point it’s dethroned their flagship franchise in terms of production and games getting put out, yeah. I fear the worst.

People also really don’t give the Pac-Man World trilogy the credit it deserves considering it was a huge contributor to why people wanted Pac-Man in Smash to begin with. Yet we got jack squat and his representation has honestly got worse with Ultimate.

Yeah, I’m deeply bitter inside...
I think the reason why people treat Symphonia as Bamco's defining game for that era and not the Pac-Man World games is because the latter are USA titles. I can't find Japanese sales numbers, but it wasn't released on the GameCube there so I'd think it might not be a game that Japanese titles associate with Nintendo that much. In contrast, Symphonia, while less successful commercially, probably had a more even spread worldwide, and is to many people 'Nintendo's Tales'.

There's also the matter of legacy. For non-Japanese audiences Symphonia was more than likely their introduction to Tales. Meanwhile the Pac-Man World games are great, but they're not the first thing most think of when they think about Pac-Man. While Tales keeps getting games to this day, Pac-Man World died after whatever World 3 was.

KillerCage

Smash Master

(sorry about what i said earlier about the "Big picture" i think u should forget about it because i only looked at the top message u had)​
I have no problems with the pictures' size. I was just saying they would be broken in Smash Bros if they were playable.
Does steve fit in the cool or cute catagory
You could argue he goes under "cute," but I think Steve fits in neither.

Last edited:

Lugia's song

Smash Rookie
I have no problems with the pictures' size. I was just saying they would be broken in Smash Bros if they were playable.
I guess they wont be added...
Goodbye to Lugia

Goodbye to Ho-Oh

Edit: Ummm what if they were smaller?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Does steve fit in the cool or cute catagory
In the sense that he's a cartoon style character rather than an action flick style character he fits in the cute "category".
I guess they wont be added...
Goodbye to lugia

Goodbye to Ho-Oh
While I wouldn't say they're unworkable as balanced characters, they are very low on the list of Pokémon that should be in smash.

In terms of Legendary Pokémon for the next (Pokémon related) roster slot, I would pick Arceus since its lore has had the biggest impact of all of the Legendaries.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't have any data for it, but I remember reading a lot of polls saying that the most overall liked Gen II Pokémon was Lugia. Unfortunately, they have the same problem that what I've heard is the Gen III most liked Pokémon, Rayquaza, has, which is that their body doesn't lend itself well to a playable Smash character. Not surprised neither is playable, though they did give a nod to Rayquaza in Brawl by making them a boss.

Lugia is one of my favorite Pokémon so, if miracle ever happened and they became playable, I'd scream a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom