• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
After the first 3 characters being from series with 0 presence in the game, as well as the fact that they bring their own spirits, I would be very surprised to see any “spirit promotions” on the Pass.
Point is there's zero proper evidence they're confirmed dead in the water. The theory doesn't hold up at all as a good point. It's an okay theory, but patterns don't make it true. The point behind them were literally a reworking of Trophies, after all. Due to time constraints, etc. Completely ignore over 1300 choices due to an arbitrary picture is kind of silly. Especially when all they need to do is change the filename or display name at best and boom, instant character Spirit. I mean, obviously they can't just blatantly change the name without potential for tiny errors/bugs to come up in the game, but this isn't that hard to fix compared to outright gameplay fixes. There might be more important stuff to consider, but not because they're a glorified Trophy in itself.

Whilst I'm sure they ultimately don't mean much, looking through the list of 4* Primary Spirits is a who's who of 1st Party speculation. Obviously some characters like Dixie and Isaac are evolved versions (and Shadow for that matter). But I did enjoy that it proves that Sakurai is very much aware of who the most popular character requests are and at least threw fans a bone in making them Legendary.
Well, they might've been Legendary without Sakurai saying so. It's mainly noted he just removed some, but I'm sure he added a few.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would expect the whole name to avoid obvious confusion, though I would not rule out them using the different pronunciation either.
Looking at some gameplay of Ninja Gaiden (2004) he does seem to have his original name pronunciation.
If we can have two Roys with different inflection!
I thought they may do this as well.

Dead or Alive 6 calls the character Hyabusa (Though this character could be canonically different from the one in the Ninja Gaiden series) so I'm really not sure who they'd go with.

After the first 3 characters being from series with 0 presence in the game, as well as the fact that they bring their own spirits, I would be very surprised to see any “spirit promotions” on the Pass.
Some characters like Elma still have a good bit of spirit potential. (They could use characters like H.B., Irena, Gwin, Doug, etc. and that's not even talking about the villains, mobs, or skells.)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not everything needs to be spelled out for us to figure things out, if you ask me.

I used to think spirits weren’t disconfirmations. But based on the how the Fighter Pass I structured this far, I think it’s easy to see why somebody would think they do disconfirm.

On one hand, a .png isn’t going to stop a dude from adding a character. However, each pass will be adding an entirely new selection of spirits. New music tracks. A new stage. 3/5 of the Fighter Pass are entirely new spirits, music, and stage with the character.

I personally find it hard to believe that a spirit would be made into a fighter. Spirits were made to include as many characters as possible in the first place because trophies took too much time anyway, and if all DLC was picked in 2018 as recent news has suggested, the thought process makes sense.

1) decide roster (done waaaay ahead of the following two)
2) decide DLC (assuming Nintendo was very ahead of the game and made these decisions in 2018)
3) Sakurai (hm, who isn’t playable or DLC, and how can I represent hem in some way? Spirits!)

At least, that’s how I see it. I don’t think it’s a theory, I simply think it makes sense at this point that all characters in the Fighter Pass will bring entirely new content.

StormC

Smash Hero
Point is there's zero proper evidence they're confirmed dead in the water. The theory doesn't hold up at all as a good point. It's an okay theory, but patterns don't make it true. The point behind them were literally a reworking of Trophies, after all. Due to time constraints, etc. Completely ignore over 1300 choices due to an arbitrary picture is kind of silly. Especially when all they need to do is change the filename or display name at best and boom, instant character Spirit. I mean, obviously they can't just blatantly change the name without potential for tiny errors/bugs to come up in the game, but this isn't that hard to fix compared to outright gameplay fixes. There might be more important stuff to consider, but not because they're a glorified Trophy in itself.

Well, they might've been Legendary without Sakurai saying so. It's mainly noted he just removed some, but I'm sure he added a few.
Statistically speaking it’s extremely unlikely one of the two fighters left will buck this trend. After three fighters I think it’s very much a safe bet. If Sakurai already knew the Fighters Pass it would be trivial to pick them off the list if they’re already a Spirit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Statistically speaking it’s extremely unlikely one of the two fighters left will buck this trend. After three fighters I think it’s very much a safe bet. If Sakurai already knew the Fighters Pass it would be trivial to pick them off the list if they’re already a Spirit.
The only thing trivial is going through 1300 spirits to avoid using that particular one. Once he has the character chosen, it's literally a case of "does the name clash with a file name and I have to change it? Yes? Well, let's quickly fix that up and move on with the important work." It's a menial task at that point.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, after what I and others have heard about when Banjo was picked, I absolutely think spirits are disconfirmations.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I belive that spirits don't directly deconfirm fighters forever but I do believe they take them out of the running for the fighter pass itself.

The fighter pass must have been decided a while ago anything else wil depend on both new funding and if Sakurai and the team are willing.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
in my perspective, Spirits are as hard a deconfirmation as being an assist.

There are arguments stating that Spirit =/= deconfirmation but those same arguments (Sakuri could upgrade them if he wanted) also apply to assists and mii costumes just as easily.
The way I see it, a spirit is more than just an image, but a gameplay element. To promote a spirit you would have to remove their spirit from the game and possibly alter the story mode, or rename it. Take Geno for example. His spirit is simply called "Geno", and is not a fighter spirit. with other spirits of already playable fighters (Kaptain K Rool for example), it isn't exactly that fighter (in this case, the spirit is not called King K Rool) because it's not entirely the fighter, but a variation. here with good ol' Geno, his spirit name is not "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" or something, but plain old "Geno". As fighter spirits (save weird situations like Advert Children Cloud) do not go by alternate names or subtitles (back to Rool- he is King K Rool, not King K Rool (Donkey Kong Country)), he has no potential fighter spirit name.

And if we are to assume they are to rename it should he get in, I ask- why would they make that "Geno" spirit in the first place if they're just going to change it later? Why go to the effort to make a unique spirit if you know you're just gonna change it later so the character may be added?

IMO, Spirits are generally a way to say "I am sorry your fav is not in the game, but I will put them in as an NPC so you know your prayers have not been ignored".

it also makes no sense from an in-game perspective; imagine there is a spirit of a fighter and a trophy of that fighter in the same game. That would lead to fighting yourself, not an alternate persona of yourself!

Shoddy argument, but that's how i see it

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yeah I dig but I feel someone like Andy or Isaac would be a much better representative for that GBA era. Having been there right at the start and having a worldwide release.
Part of me feel they will become fantastic characters to reveal in the early rounds of Smash 6. Already iconic enough and the GBA needs more representatives. Maybe get Sami as an semi-clone

D

Deleted member

Music is probably the most important yet overlooked aspect of trailers. Not a lot of people seem to talk about what kind of tracks (remixed or not) would be played during a trailer of their most wanted newcomer or how the music can easily identify who a character is.

For Joker, Last Surprise and Beneath the Mask were primarily used in his trailer
For Hero, the DQ XI theme and DQ III's Adventure theme were used in his trailer
For Banjo-Kazooie, Spiral Mountain was used in their trailer

These tracks are recognizable to a lot of people and very important to each character and their franchise. The question I ask currently is what are some track(s) that would be played in the Smash trailers of your most wanted characters to get people to recognize not only who they are but what franchise they come from?

Here's some examples of what tracks I think will most likely be in their trailers if they're in:
Ryu Hayabusa - Unbreakable Determination
Nightmare - Raise Thy Sword or Darkest Shadow
Zhao Yun - Arena, Welcome to China, or Crush'Em All
Yukimura Sanada - Kawanakajima, Komaki Nagakute, or Osaka Castle

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hot take.

If measures were taken to cover up FemCorrin’s thighs, Palutena’s legs, and even Mythra’s legs, I don’t see how Mai Shiranui would work.

I for one get frustrated with censorship, sure. If the original creator had a particular design, then that design should be honored. Let’s be fair though, if Mai’s design is certainly that iconic, and altering that iconic design would get in the way, then I simply don’t see it happening.

We all know it would, especially considering the precedent. If it happened with thighs and bare legs, you can’t tell me a woman with highly exposed thighs, legs, and obviously large breasts (leading to a sexualized design when combined) is getting into Smash unscathed.

Sure, Bayonetta, Zero Suit Samus and others are seen as “sexy”. But they’re covered up in Smash. Bayonetta is at some point or another nude in her own game. She is fully clothed in Smash at all times, even when the wicked weaves strip some clothing away.

It’s a pretty big difference, if you ask me. I have nothing against the character, as she may be entirely unique and interesting to play as. I also, again, may be underestimating just how big SNK and their games are, but I simply see this as a hurdle for the character in question.

D

Deleted member

Agreed.

Here's one, do you think the remaining DLC characters will be from companies already on board or new ones?
Current ones.

I could see something like this as far as Capcom options go:
Resident Evil = Monster Hunter > Ace Attorney = DMC > Okami > VJ
For Bamco:
Tales >= Tekken > Soul Calibur > Xenosaga >= Digimon > God Eater

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Damn I missed a big heated Mai discussion that happened a few pages back. As the owner of the Mai thread I do think that her chances are extremely low, both due to her sex appeal (which is a big part of her character that I don't see being flaunted around in Smash) and more importantly her competition with other SNK characters (specifically Terry who is without a doubt the most likely SNK rep).

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Feel free to go back to whatever topic was at hand.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Something I've always questioned, but could never reach a conclusion about: how big are CDPR's games in Japan? And since The Witcher is technically based on a series of books, would that make Geralt impossible?

I don't really think it's likely, but I'm genuinely curious. It feels a lot to me like the Musou situation that I talked with @Velveeta Dream about a few weeks ago.

How do you guys think that could go?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Music is probably the most important yet overlooked aspect of trailers. Not a lot of people seem to talk about what kind of tracks (remixed or not) would be played during a trailer of their most wanted newcomer or how the music can easily identify who a character is.

For Joker, Last Surprise and Beneath the Mask were primarily used in his trailer

These tracks are recognizable to a lot of people and very important to each character and their franchise. The question I ask currently is what are some track(s) that would be played in the Smash trailers of your most wanted characters to get people to recognize not only who they are but what franchise they come from?

Here's some examples of what tracks I think will most likely be in their trailers if they're in:
Bandanna Dee-A Battle of Friends and Bonds 2, or if it has to be a new song, Boss Battle (Kirby Returns to Dreamland).
Amaterasu-The Sun Rises
Arthur-Stage 01
Rhythm Choir-Title Theme Medley

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here’s a topic to shift gears.

Is there a franchise that is currently not in Smash that, if left out at the end of DLC, you as a fan would feel that there was a hole in the roster?

I obviously feel that way about Resident Evil (it’s been a classic for 2 decades now!). The characters are famous, gameplay is excellent, and it’s a pillar of excellence for the horror genre, which brings in plenty of content for a stage, spirit battles, and the music has plenty of potential.

With so many genre-defining series in Smash already, and with it being the sole-remaining Top 10 Japanese-created gaming series left currently not in Smash, it would just be like a missed opportunity to truly have the “all-star” feel if there isn’t a playable character.

What do you guys think? Which series would make you feel that way?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Something I've always questioned, but could never reach a conclusion about: how big are CDPR's games in Japan? And since The Witcher is technically based on a series of books, would that make Geralt impossible?

I don't really think it's likely, but I'm genuinely curious. It feels a lot to me like the Musou situation that I talked with @Velveeta Dream about a few weeks ago.

How do you guys think that could go?
Frankly the musou thing is interesting, I wouldn't say they would have an issue due to being based on historical (and in the case of DW its originally based on a novel that takes a lot of historical liberties already) but rather that are games with tons of characters and that a lot of the time western audiences are not very interested on the characters.

For the Witcher, I would say that the legal issues CDPR had with the author demanding more money could potentially make a Smash inclusion more difficult if the dude asks for more money.
Dude look at the skin she shows. If:ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf:and:ultpalutena:were censored I can only imagine what they'd do with her as well.

Also a Spirit is different from an full-fledge character part of the roster.
Zero Suit Samus orange and blue short alts say hi.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice

Louie- Titan Dweevil Medley
Hat Kid- Your Contract Has Expired/A Hat in Time Main Theme
Quote- Mischievous Robot/Plantation/Eyes of Flame Remixes
Soma Cruz- Into the Dark Night/Pitch-Black Intrusion
Steve- Minecraft Medley (a more "action-y" remix of several notable songs, ala Galaga Medley)
Serperior- Gym Leader Last Pokemon/N Battle
(I know my choices suck but these are my suggestions)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On the whole Female Fighter leak/rumor.

Nakoruru is definitely another that comes to mind. Not only is she a female fighter from a fighting game but also an "Out There"/"You didn't see that coming" pick Sakurai would do as he had with:ultjoker:

Something to think about.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Is there a franchise that is currently not in Smash that, if left out at the end of DLC, you as a fan would feel that there was a hole in the roster?

I obviously feel that way about Resident Evil (it’s been a classic for 2 decades now!). The characters are famous, gameplay is excellent, and it’s a pillar of excellence for the horror genre, which brings in plenty of content for a stage, spirit battles, and the music has plenty of potential.

With so many genre-defining series in Smash already, and with it being the sole-remaining Top 10 Japanese-created gaming series left currently not in Smash, it would just be like a missed opportunity to truly have the “all-star” feel if there isn’t a playable character.

I don't think there's any franchise that needs to be in Smash left really? Resident Evil, Tekken, Tales and Ninja Gaiden all feel like the most logical choices out of whats left, but I'm not sure any of them have the "finally" feel like some of the other third party characters have. They would all certainly make the game feel more complete as a celebration of (admittedly more Japanese) gaming.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

It's not really for this DLC, or even An unrepped franchise, but Spin offs of first parties need representation.

Where is my Mario & Luigi character?
Where is my Pokémon Mystery Dungeon music?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Smash simultaneously does and will never feel complete. The major names and series' are her along with some fun outliers. However that doesn't mean I won't always want Phoenix Wright or any of my other most-wanted.

I don't think Smash needs to be complete and I don't think it ever will be. It's just trying to be the biggest at this point and to be a toy to play with, smacking your action figures together to create fantasy fights.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm bored but Capcom and Namco reps from most likely to least likely. Doing only five.

Capcom:
1. Resident Evil Rep (Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy)
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monster Hunter
4. Amaterasu
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Heihachi
3. Nightmare
4. KOS-MOS
5. Agumon

Agree or disagree?

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm bored but Capcom and Namco reps from most likely to least likely. Doing only five.

Capcom:
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monster Hunter
4. Amaterasu
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Heihachi
3. Nightmare
4. KOS-MOS
5. Agumon

Agree or disagree?
For Bamco I'd probably put Dark Souls, Katamari Damacy or another retro rep like Dig Dug above Agumon. But otherwise I agree, even if I wish I could think of a reason to put Amaterasu above Monster Hunter

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
For Bamco I'd probably put Dark Souls, Katamari Damacy or another retro rep like Dig Dug above Agumon. But otherwise I agree, even if I wish I could think of a reason to put Amaterasu above Monster Hunter
God dammit. I keep sleeping on said Dark Souls character. :laugh:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
On the whole Female Fighter leak/rumor.

Nakoruru is definitely another that comes to mind. Not only is she a female fighter from a fighting game but also an "Out There"/"You didn't see that coming" pick Sakurai would do as he had with:ultjoker:

Something to think about.
that's a pretty good pick for an out there character

Capcom:
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monster Hunter
4. Amaterasu
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Heihachi
3. Nightmare
4. KOS-MOS
5. Agumon

Agree or disagree?
I agree with this list

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I hope it isn't too long for Hero's video and release to come. Especially since it would make or break the Mii Costume Theory.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Capcom:
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monster Hunter
4. Amaterasu
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Heihachi
3. Nightmare
4. KOS-MOS
5. Agumon

Agree or disagree?
I wouldn't put Ammy above Dante and Monster Hunter.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I hope it isn't too long for Hero's video and release to come. Especially since it would make or break the Mii Costume Theory.
I remember some people saying that there was a notification that the official Youtube channel had uploaded a hidden video. But those things can be done so far in advance it probably doesn't mean much. But we are almost 3 months post Joker, so could be in the next 2-3 weeks for all we know.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I remember some people saying that there was a notification that the official Youtube channel had uploaded a hidden video. But those things can be done so far in advance it probably doesn't mean much. But we are almost 3 months post Joker, so could be in the next 2-3 weeks for all we know.
Yeah, the notification is still there. I don't know how far in advance they would upload the video, but with Joker it was about... two weeks ahead, at best.

And if that "78-day theory" is correct, that means we might get it this week. Then again, we have no guarantee of anything, so don't hold your breath.

If we do end up getting the Hero update, though, that would mean Banjo probably releases in the last week of September or first of October, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom