• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I do actually really want Lara Croft. If she, Crash and Spyro had made it into PlayStation All Stars, I really do think it would have been less of a flop.

Those three making it eventually would finish off the 90s gaming icons for me.
That game and Playstatation Classic proved either that Sony arent actually aware of who their classic characters are or aren't willing to put the money down. All those characters you mentioned should be in the game; Alucard, Jill Valentine and Cloud as well. But now so many of these franchises are in Smash.

It's the benefit Nintendo has over all other console makers, they own most of their recognizable IP outright and their bench is so deep, that even now people's most wanted 1st party character isn't in the game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've been a long-time proponent of Lara Croft in Smash. Not only would she be super fun, but she's also one of the very few video game characters to reach the same household name status as characters like Mario, Pikachu, Pac-Man, and Sonic.

SKX31

Smash Master
That game and Playstatation Classic proved either that Sony arent actually aware of who their classic characters are or aren't willing to put the money down. All those characters you mentioned should be in the game; Alucard, Jill Valentine as well. But now so many of these franchises are in Smash.

It's the benefit Nintendo has over all other console makers, they own most of their recognizable IP outright and their bench is so deep, that even now people's most wanted 1st party character isn't in the game.
I'm leaning towards Sony knowing but not willing to put the money down. If the rumored reason Crash didn't get in is indeed true (Activision asking a too high price) that's kind of telling of the general situation. It wouldn't surprise me since Sony eventually gave the answer "It takes two to tango".

All-Stars was unproven as a game and thus Sony and Superbot had to listen to what third parties were asking for. Sakurai could build up his cred with 64, Melee and the Snake reveal / Brawl, to the point he could say to Namco "I much rather have classic Pac-Man!" and have Namco listen without question. That's not to say Superbot didn't do any good - the thing is, the PR issues really took over everything there. Not just because Crash / Spyro, anything Final Fantasy or Lara Croft were missing, but also because Capcom wanted reboot Dante* to push the then upcoming DMC: DMC, Konami wanted to push Revengeance which gave Raiden his spot and inFamous wanted both good and evil Coles.

Didn't help that the competitive scene stagnated quickly (kill-confirms are borken when Supers are the only way to score kills) and Cloud got announced for Smash just months after Caddicarus posted his "All-Stars 2 wishlist roster" video. Really, it's a shame, because there's a lot of potential and good with All-Stars.

(*Which wound up giving even more fuel to that fire incidentally enough)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If I had to go with my gut right now for what the final two are, I would go with Crash and Lloyd. I could also see Jill, Leon, or Phoenix but right now I am going with those two as my guess.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm leaning towards Sony knowing but not willing to put the money down. If the rumored reason Crash didn't get in is indeed true (Activision asking a too high price) that's kind of telling of the general situation. It wouldn't surprise me since Sony eventually gave the answer "It takes two to tango".

All-Stars was unproven as a game and thus Sony and Superbot had to listen to what third parties were asking for. Sakurai could build up his cred with 64, Melee and the Snake reveal / Brawl, to the point he could say to Namco "I much rather have classic Pac-Man!" and have Namco listen without question. That's not to say Superbot didn't do any good - the thing is, the PR issues really took over everything there. Not just because Crash / Spyro, anything Final Fantasy or Lara Croft were missing, but also because Capcom wanted reboot Dante* to push the then upcoming DMC: DMC, Konami wanted to push Revengeance which gave Raiden his spot and inFamous wanted both good and evil Coles.

Didn't help that the competitive scene stagnated quickly (kill-confirms are borken when Supers are the only way to score kills) and Cloud got announced for Smash just months after Caddicarus posted his "All-Stars 2 wishlist roster" video. Really, it's a shame, because there's a lot of potential and good with All-Stars.

I think if the Crash/Spyro Remakes weren't a thing, at least one of each would've been included in the PS Classic. But Sony went 'no, we want you to buy those on PS4.' To them, PS4 was simply more important and they didn't want the Classic stepping on its' toes in any regard. The PS Classic is a really terrible product from all points of view.

- No Dualshocks in the Box
- Started at $100, immediately became $60 (and no one buys it at $60 since it constantly dips to $40)
- Doesn't come with an AC Adapter
- 9 out of 20 games are PAL/50hz versions of games, including Tekken 3

And that's before you look at the poor lineup, questionable UI (I get that it's from the PS Demo Disc, most don't), the open source emulator being used, users being able to access the emulator menu with a keyboard, etc. etc. etc.

As for the topic at hand, if Crash was put into Smash Bros, when he wasn't put into PSASBR, no one would ever Sony seriously ever again in regards to trying to copy Smash. It's a double barrel middle finger shot into the hull that could never be repaired.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking once again on Lloyd Irving, I realized something. After the Hero's reveal, being the second JRPG rep within the fighters pass (if not THE most significant JRPG rep), it is understandable that many began to see Lloyd's chances of being among the remaining two DLC fighters plummet. However, I think that the probabilities of him getting dropping wouldn't be so much due to the "JRPG rep" factor, but more due to the play-style factor. Remembering Tales of Symphonia, if Lloyd's playstyle were to be a faithful adaptation to the source material, it would end up being almost identical to the Hero's playstyle, based on what we've seen so far. Not including the differences that Lloyd would be the first dual wielding swordsman, and thus not having a shield (for easy projectile blocks), if we then come to think of what his special inputs would be like, a faithful adaptation of his playstyle would most likely have him with a similar command menu for each special input. In Tales of Symphonia, each character can have up to four different techs (techniques) assigned to command inputs (very similar to Smash's special inputs). Now, prior to entering fights, if one wishes to use a different tech, one must change the current tech assigned to one of the four command inputs, for the desired tech. This is of course is different to how commands are chosen and performed in the Dragon Quest games, but in order to give Lloyd an interesting playstyle, the course of action would be to give him a similar special mechanic to Hero, by grouping similar techs to specific special inputs (for example: all jumping/aerial techs assigned to Up + B).

Now, I won't deny; I too would like to see Lloyd Irving make it into the SSBU roster, however despite what I mentioned earlier, there could be a way that he might be added despite Hero's reveal. This might sound reaching; out of the realm of possibility; upsetting to some but, if Lloyd were to be added with a similar playstyle to Hero, he could be added as Hero's Echo Fighter. I know he is by NO means the same character as the Hero, however due to the potential playstyle (with differences in his basic moves and specials), his potential special mechanic being the element similar to Hero's, as well as him being a swordsman could allow him to make the cut. True that most echo fighters are almost exact copies of their original counterparts (Dark Samus, Lucina, Dark Pit), but then we have odd ones such as Chrom, who is identified as Roy's echo fighter; despite clearly having different moves (being somewhat of an amalgamation of the main Fire Emblem swordsmen).

It is true that the fighter pass, as stated by Mr. Sakurai himself, will NOT include echo fighters; however, possible scenarios that could have Lloyd making it into the roster under these circumstances could be:

a. Along Hero's release, being shadow-dropped alongside him as his echo fighter
b. Being announced after the release of the 5th dlc fighter, alongside other potential echo fighters

All this is just me theorizing in regards to a potential scenario of Lloyd's inclusion (post-Hero reveal). Just thought it would be an interesting thought to think about; comment; etc.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think if the Crash/Spyro Remakes weren't a thing, at least one of each would've been included in the PS Classic. But Sony went 'no, we want you to buy those on PS4.' To them, PS4 was simply more important and they didn't want the Classic stepping on its' toes in any regard. The PS Classic is a really terrible product from all points of view.

- No Dualshocks in the Box
- Started at $100, immediately became $60 (and no one buys it at $60 since it constantly dips to $40)
- Doesn't come with an AC Adapter
- 9 out of 20 games are PAL/50hz versions of games, including Tekken 3

And that's before you look at the poor lineup, questionable UI (I get that it's from the PS Demo Disc, most don't), the open source emulator being used, users being able to access the emulator menu with a keyboard, etc. etc. etc.

As for the topic at hand, if Crash was put into Smash Bros, when he wasn't put into PSASBR, no one would ever Sony seriously ever again in regards to trying to copy Smash. It's a double barrel middle finger shot into the hull that could never be repaired.
Well, I've heard about how lacklustre the PS Classic was, but that proves that it was put on a massive backburner. Wouldn't surprise me because they also have the PlayStation Store to fall back on. Doesn't excuse nor justify that they did so with the PS Classic (especially when they released it on the market and with the NES and SNES classics already existing), but wouldn't surprise me. Not the first time a megacorp's double dipped the lazy way.

As it stands though, PSASBR's dead and buried as is. PlayStation AllStars Island (the iOS / Android game that quickly followed Battle Royale) proves it, to qoute The Escapist:

... Coke Zero advertisements actually outnumber any single character in this newly-released launch trailer for PlayStation All-Stars Island.
After that, Battle Royale petering out* and Cloud getting in Smash instead, Crash getting into Smash would be like watching Sakurai pick up All-Stars' dead body one last time and giving it one final stare down. Before tossing it back to its grave.

*(Not helped by 2 of the 4 DLC characters - God of War's Zeus and Dead Space's Isaac - being promotional picks and classic character Dart being scrapped when All-Stars shut down. Really, PSASBR needed more Ness / Ice Climber-esque characters like Dart so they could release with at least the Melee roster's size - 26 - instead of just 20.)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
(in response to YsDisciple) That would be a good point, if it weren't for my trump card: the EX Gems are how I think Lloyd could set himself apart from Hero pretty easily.

Lloyd would start a match in a neutral state: all of his moves that are Strike or Technical are not available, instead being their weaker standard versions. However, Lloyd has a shield special in which he can select which of the 9 EX Skills he wants on. The "9th" EX Skill is "Blank", which sends him back to this standard state. There are 4 Skills for Strike and 4 for Technical modes, which immediately affect what Techs/Artes (they will be referred to as Techs, the nomenclature Symphonia uses to refer to what are more commonly known as Artes throughout other Tales games) Lloyd will use. Lloyd's techs do not stop at his specials: a bunch of his normal attacks are considered Techs, and thus are altered. Up to 3 skills can be active at a time, and Blank overrides all of them: whichever side has more EX Skills on determines whether Lloyd is Strike or Technical. I don't think compound EX Skills would be a thing, that's where I draw the line in terms of complicated.

By the way, Lloyd would use the Material Blade, Dual Swords that consist of the Vorpal Sword (ice) and the Flamberge (fire) in his right and his left hand respectively. If you are hit with the Vorpal Sword, it deals Ice damage, and if you are hit with the Flamberge, it deals Fire damage.

Strike Skills
  1. Strong, which increases the damage and knockback Lloyd deals by 5% and 10 units respectively.
  2. Tough, which increases Lloyd's weight (his base would be 100) by 5 and decreases damage taken by 10%.
  3. Personal, which decreases all of the starting, ending, and landing lag of ALL of Lloyd's moves by 5 frames. Keep in mind, all of them would already start up pretty quick: now a lot of his moves are lightning fast.
  4. Lastly, there's Guard Plus, which increases the size of Lloyd's shield and makes it sturdier (survives 50% more shield damage).
Technical Skills
  1. Taunt, which heals 5% HP every time Lloyd uses a taunt, and in online matches permits him to use a taunt.
  2. Dodge, which increases the length of Lloyd's rolls and makes all of his dodges start 3 frames sooner and end 2 frames later.
  3. Dash, which increases Lloyd's run speed from 5th fastest to (either 1st or 2nd) fastest, and his air speed from 4th fastest to 2nd fastest.
  4. And for the final skill, Follow-Up, which increases Lloyd's hitstun dealt to enemies by 5 frames.
For example, if Lloyd had Strong, Dash, and Guard Plus, he would be considered Strike overall. The following moves are Techs, and thus affected by Strike/Technical modes.
  1. Demon Fang, which is a slashing move that fires a grounded projectile across the ground.
    1. Fierce Demon Fang is the Strike version. Instead of being a projectile, it's a strong slam attack that is very powerful.
    2. Double Demon Fang is the Technical version. A second projectile is fired.
  2. Sword Rain, a rapid-fire series of stabs.
    1. Sonic Sword Rain is the Strike version. It deals more damage but takes longer.
    2. Sword Rain: Beta is the Technical version. It hits way more, but if you don't get the finishing hit it doesn't send as far.
  3. Sonic Thrust, a very powerful sword thrust.
    1. Super Sonic Thrust is the Strike version. It's really powerful and deals heavy knockback, but is laggier.
    2. Hurricane Thrust is the Technical version. It has a windbox that sends opponents further, but is much weaker.
  4. Tiger Blade, a jumping slash up then down.
    1. Twin Tiger Blade is the Strike version. Two Tiger Blades in rapid succession that are stronger but lock you into the move for longer.
    2. Tiger Rage is the Technical version. It adds a combo between the upwards and downwards slash, but isn't as powerful as Twin.
  5. Tempest, where Lloyd does a spin in the air. A likely Up Special.
    1. Psi Tempest is the Strike version. It goes much further horizontally than Tempest, which can be both a boon and a bane.
    2. Omega Tempest is the Technical version. It goes much higher vertically than Tempest, but it doesn't do as much knockback.
  6. Beast, a slam attack that involves a monster's head. I can't tell you what the below two are different in because I barely use them.
    1. Hunting Beast is the Strike version.
    2. Raging Beast is the Technical version.
  7. While Techs, Lloyd's Rising Falcon and his (the only one I'll assign a move slot to) Final Smash Falcon's Crest do not care about Strike/Technical mode and can be used either way.

Which would be very, very different from how Hero is set up. Hero has an MP system that Lloyd also wouldn't have at all, and while the EX Gem system I proposed could be seen as a counterpart, it would have a different activation and make him fundamentally totally different. Besides, many doubted that Erdrick could be sufficiently distinct from Robin, and Hero passes that check with flying colors. So I don't think Lloyd's gotta have to be an Echo Fighter, nor could he because he can't do magic and thus 90% of Hero's specials wouldn't work with him, which defeats the point of an Echo (to take as little dev time as possible).

Instead, more pressing questions that could be bad for Lloyd: Is Namco REALLY gonna get a character? What if Tekken, Soul Calibur, Digimon, or something else gets in first? Even if we get a Tales character, what about Yuri or Velvet? Even if it's a Symphonia character specifically, Kratos might actually be popular enough to get the jump on him. And what if his Mii Costume is set to return?

(On the topic of Sony and Playstation stars) As an aside, Snake, Cloud, Crash, Lara Croft, Spyro, Abe from Oddworld (though he probably doesn't have a chance), and to some extent Joker getting in would pretty much be the ultimate style on PSABR if we got all of them in the same game.

I want to ask: will all DLC characters (in the Fighter's Pass) appeal more to adults than kids? Who are some characters who would appeal to kids?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Instead, more pressing questions that could be bad for Lloyd: Is Namco REALLY gonna get a character? What if Tekken, Soul Calibur, Digimon, or something else gets in first? Even if we get a Tales character, what about Yuri or Velvet? Even if it's a Symphonia character specifically, Kratos might actually be popular enough to get the jump on him. And what if his Mii Costume is set to return?
There is underdog support for Agumon at the moment, whatwith Digimon having some events coming up from time to time this year, and the forthcoming Survive. Tekken seems dead in the water for this go-round, seeing everything that gets in Heihachi's way. No idea how likely Soul Calibur is.

Until further notice, Bamco characters seem to be on low priority.

Dragon-Eater

Smash Rookie
I don't think we'll get another Capcom character, I don't think we'll get another Konami character, I don't we'll get another Square Enix character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ll probably link my comment on the different “theories” going around, but moral of the story is that partner theory and trailer theory really don’t have much of anything going for them, while Mii Theory has precedent going for it, with color theory somewhere in the middle.

Basically, partner theory is already inconsistent with Kazooie not lining up with Morgana/Slime, the hints in the trailer theory are misinterpreted, but the other two have something to them. Color theory less, mainly because the colors wouldn’t necessarily indicate any particular characters.

Mii Theory > Color theory > Partner theory > Trailer theory

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would be more than ok with Agumon, despite not really caring about Digimon. He’s still iconic and has a legacy.

Another part of me would love for the DLC pack to close at Doomguy and Lara Croft just so people would shut up about swordsmen and start saying “too many gunmen”.

But nah, I like the popular choices of it ending at Doomguy and Crash as well.

-
I had my share of fun with PS battle royale, but it was very brief. For me it was a bag full of bad decisions. They wanted it to stand out from smash for all the wrong reasons.
I honestly had way more fun with Tmnt Smash Up (I really hope more platform fighters drew inspiration from moveset a here and not just Melee) and even Dream Mix TV.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
The partner theory is already dead because of the inconsistencies and people stretching it to fit their own goals. In my eyes the companion theory is a 'mascot' character who isnt playable but appears in taunts, stages, or even the victory poses. Morgana's appeared in all three and its safe to assume it might be the same for the Hero and Slime as well. Meanwhile Kazooie is literally a part of the character.

I can understand characters like Crash being brought up, but Resident Evil characters or even Yakuza? Now this is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The partner theory is already dead because of the inconsistencies and people stretching it to fit their own goals. In my eyes the companion theory is a 'mascot' character who isnt playable but appears in taunts, stages, or even the victory poses. Morgana's appeared in all three and its safe to assume it might be the same for the Hero and Slime as well. Meanwhile Kazooie is literally a part of the character.

I can understand characters like Crash being brought up, but Resident Evil characters or even Yakuza? Now this is getting out of hand.
Why is Resident Evil where it gets out of hand?

After Dragon Quest, it’s one of the mos tinfoiential series ever created, and brings unique settings, characters, and gameplay potential.

It’d be a great pick.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
(in response to YsDisciple) That would be a good point, if it weren't for my trump card: the EX Gems are how I think Lloyd could set himself apart from Hero pretty easily.

Lloyd would start a match in a neutral state: all of his moves that are Strike or Technical are not available, instead being their weaker standard versions. However, Lloyd has a shield special in which he can select which of the 9 EX Skills he wants on. The "9th" EX Skill is "Blank", which sends him back to this standard state. There are 4 Skills for Strike and 4 for Technical modes, which immediately affect what Techs/Artes (they will be referred to as Techs, the nomenclature Symphonia uses to refer to what are more commonly known as Artes throughout other Tales games) Lloyd will use. Lloyd's techs do not stop at his specials: a bunch of his normal attacks are considered Techs, and thus are altered. Up to 3 skills can be active at a time, and Blank overrides all of them: whichever side has more EX Skills on determines whether Lloyd is Strike or Technical. I don't think compound EX Skills would be a thing, that's where I draw the line in terms of complicated.

By the way, Lloyd would use the Material Blade, Dual Swords that consist of the Vorpal Sword (ice) and the Flamberge (fire) in his right and his left hand respectively. If you are hit with the Vorpal Sword, it deals Ice damage, and if you are hit with the Flamberge, it deals Fire damage.

Strike Skills
  1. Strong, which increases the damage and knockback Lloyd deals by 5% and 10 units respectively.
  2. Tough, which increases Lloyd's weight (his base would be 100) by 5 and decreases damage taken by 10%.
  3. Personal, which decreases all of the starting, ending, and landing lag of ALL of Lloyd's moves by 5 frames. Keep in mind, all of them would already start up pretty quick: now a lot of his moves are lightning fast.
  4. Lastly, there's Guard Plus, which increases the size of Lloyd's shield and makes it sturdier (survives 50% more shield damage).
Technical Skills
  1. Taunt, which heals 5% HP every time Lloyd uses a taunt, and in online matches permits him to use a taunt.
  2. Dodge, which increases the length of Lloyd's rolls and makes all of his dodges start 3 frames sooner and end 2 frames later.
  3. Dash, which increases Lloyd's run speed from 5th fastest to (either 1st or 2nd) fastest, and his air speed from 4th fastest to 2nd fastest.
  4. And for the final skill, Follow-Up, which increases Lloyd's hitstun dealt to enemies by 5 frames.
For example, if Lloyd had Strong, Dash, and Guard Plus, he would be considered Strike overall. The following moves are Techs, and thus affected by Strike/Technical modes.
  1. Demon Fang, which is a slashing move that fires a grounded projectile across the ground.
    1. Fierce Demon Fang is the Strike version. Instead of being a projectile, it's a strong slam attack that is very powerful.
    2. Double Demon Fang is the Technical version. A second projectile is fired.
  2. Sword Rain, a rapid-fire series of stabs.
    1. Sonic Sword Rain is the Strike version. It deals more damage but takes longer.
    2. Sword Rain: Beta is the Technical version. It hits way more, but if you don't get the finishing hit it doesn't send as far.
  3. Sonic Thrust, a very powerful sword thrust.
    1. Super Sonic Thrust is the Strike version. It's really powerful and deals heavy knockback, but is laggier.
    2. Hurricane Thrust is the Technical version. It has a windbox that sends opponents further, but is much weaker.
  4. Tiger Blade, a jumping slash up then down.
    1. Twin Tiger Blade is the Strike version. Two Tiger Blades in rapid succession that are stronger but lock you into the move for longer.
    2. Tiger Rage is the Technical version. It adds a combo between the upwards and downwards slash, but isn't as powerful as Twin.
  5. Tempest, where Lloyd does a spin in the air. A likely Up Special.
    1. Psi Tempest is the Strike version. It goes much further horizontally than Tempest, which can be both a boon and a bane.
    2. Omega Tempest is the Technical version. It goes much higher vertically than Tempest, but it doesn't do as much knockback.
  6. Beast, a slam attack that involves a monster's head. I can't tell you what the below two are different in because I barely use them.
    1. Hunting Beast is the Strike version.
    2. Raging Beast is the Technical version.
  7. While Techs, Lloyd's Rising Falcon and his (the only one I'll assign a move slot to) Final Smash Falcon's Crest do not care about Strike/Technical mode and can be used either way.

Which would be very, very different from how Hero is set up. Hero has an MP system that Lloyd also wouldn't have at all, and while the EX Gem system I proposed could be seen as a counterpart, it would have a different activation and make him fundamentally totally different. Besides, many doubted that Erdrick could be sufficiently distinct from Robin, and Hero passes that check with flying colors. So I don't think Lloyd's gotta have to be an Echo Fighter, nor could he because he can't do magic and thus 90% of Hero's specials wouldn't work with him, which defeats the point of an Echo (to take as little dev time as possible).

(On the topic of Sony and Playstation stars) As an aside, Snake, Cloud, Crash, Lara Croft, Spyro, Abe from Oddworld (though he probably doesn't have a chance), and to some extent Joker getting in would pretty much be the ultimate style on PSABR if we got all of them in the same game.

I want to ask: will all DLC characters (in the Fighter's Pass) appeal more to adults than kids? Who are some characters who would appeal to kids?
I need to get back to grinding ToS. That playstyle implementation is excellent and would indeed make Lloyd very distinct (I completely ignored the possibility of some of the techs being normal moves :facepalm:).

In regards to the theories being mentioned around, Mii costume theory is the most convincing for me at the moment. If the missing Namco and Capcom costumes are to make a comeback, they gotta come with a corresponding representative. Dang... might have to go into hibernation until Fall. :ohwell:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spyro is dead. Japan hates the series.
I don't see too many people making the claim that Doom Slayer is dead due to its lack of appeal in Japan.
And to my knowledge, only the first Spyro game had a bad port in Japan. I think 2 and 3 had the option to use the Western camera.
Not to mention, K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo got in almost entirely out of Western support.
Yes, Crash would come first (unless they come simultaneously), but Spyro is definitely a possibility. I always default to the "Mega Man didn't disconfirm Ryu" argument, because it's the obvious precedent.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't believe Costume Theory, mostly because I believe one of the characters will be one aimed at a younger audience (it'd make bank) and I can't think of any Capcom/Bamco characters who would be a big draw to younger fans. When 3/5 so far appeal to older audiences, I'd bet on at least one of them being a more recent character, or one with eternal appeal to youths.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Bamco costumes were released as loose packs, so that wouldn't really do much for one of those characters. Besides, we're literally one character in when it comes to costumes, at least Color Theory has four characters (counting Piranha Plant) backing it up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm just immediately skeptical of all leaks containing Lloyd because of that guy during pre-release who crowdsourced fake Lloyd leaks to promote the character.

...Honestly the weirdest part was that that happened in the first place, but still.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd be really cautious about generalizing kids, since they have very varied tastes like adults. Sure, children are not likely to play your RE or Mortal Kombat, but they still (were) played by children.

Still, if I'd have to give a couple categories as to what appeals generally to kids:

First, characters that come from very accessible games, like Steve. Depends on where etc. but: if the barrier of entry's really low, that's important since kids don't tend to have lots of money. The original Pac-Man, Fortnite, mobile games etc. Kids shouldn't be underestimated though: they can sink their teeth into complicated games. LoL's and Dota 2's respective global and enduring popularity are prime examples since they're freely available in poorer countries, where Internet cafes are still a thing. One could argue even games like Doom and Mortal Kombat are in this category amongst older kids (10+ mainly) not just because they can be "borrowed" from older siblings / ignore the age rating* but also because of percieved social benefit ("Wow, I'm so cool, playing an ADULT game!").

Secondly, characters that are easy to understand. Cartoon characters fit mostly here (Crash, Spyro, etc. and so on.) Yea, we all know the "Cartoons are for kids!" thing, even if that's been mostly destroyed by this point. There's a point to it though - if a character's really expressive they're usually easy to read. And they are not bound by any silly rules like "what's realistic". One could argue that Banjo's a kid-appeal character, with really good reason - the thing is, the duo's been inactive for too long to fully count IMHO. Of course, that's likely to change to "fully counts" in the near future now that Banjo's active again.

As an important aside, children (note, generally) have a great ability to subtly ignore stuff they don't understand. As long as it's not too front and center / too adult / too weird / too frightening etc. they can get by. Of course, there's a limit when it turns into actual trauma**, but it's a decent rule of thumb.

*(One of my first video games was the original StarCraft, which is hard R-rated. The units literally explode blood - red if human / Terran, green if Zerg, blue if Protoss - and sometimes leave carcasses temporarily when they die. I don't think my parents got the memo when they gave my older brother that game for his 9th birthday, when I was 7 and a half.)

**(Giygas, IIRC was based on Itoi's trauma when he stumbled upon the movie “The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty“. When he was 5 years old.)

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

tbh even if superbot did get crash and spyro they would be using the radical/skylanders design/moveset to promote the titans/skylander games that would pissed off the fans a LOT more than making fans excited(and considering dmc 2013's dante being in the game instead of the original that's kinda saying something)

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I don't believe Costume Theory, mostly because I believe one of the characters will be one aimed at a younger audience (it'd make bank) and I can't think of any Capcom/Bamco characters who would be a big draw to younger fans. When 3/5 so far appeal to older audiences, I'd bet on at least one of them being a more recent character, or one with eternal appeal to youths.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Bamco costumes were released as loose packs, so that wouldn't really do much for one of those characters. Besides, we're literally one character in when it comes to costumes, at least Color Theory has four characters (counting Piranha Plant) backing it up.
Yeah, I'm more a fan of that Trailer theory I saw in the PapaGenos video

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
tbh even if superbot did get crash and spyro they would be using the radical/skylanders design/moveset to promote the titans/skylander games that would pissed off the fans a LOT more than making fans excited(and considering dmc 2013's dante being in the game instead of the original that's kinda saying something)
Isn't Spyro's Skylanders moveset just his normal moveset, but with perma-flight? I suppose it is a bit more generic in terms of game-feel...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
PSABR is a fantastic trainwreck of a game tbh and that frustrates me to no end.

I can see glimmers of what would make a fantastic game. I love the concept of crossover stages. There is a lot of care put into each character's movesets. The idea of rivals is cool, even if some do not make sense to me. The game had a cool idea in having Polygon Man as the final boss. I honestly feel that with different direction this game would have been really good.

Right now I am only truly confident in three potential characters: a RE rep, Lloyd Irving, and Crash Bandicoot. If RE and Crash get in, Nintendo will have done a better job repping the PS1 than Sony ever did. Spyro in a Season 2 would be gravy at that point.

andree123

Smash Ace
What the **** is Trailer theory?
Trailer sequel theory is where one of the existing ssbu trailers is reused and modified to include a new DLC fighter or a counterpart of it is made.

EDIT: My theory tier list from the best to the worst.

Mii Theory > Partner theory > Trailer sequel theory > Color theory

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Trailer sequel theory is where one of the existing ssbu trailers is reused and modified to include a new DLC fighter or a counterpart of it is made.
Not gonna lie, this is stupid. Hero's trailer wasn't a sequel and it's absolutely absurd to use Banjo as evidence for it when it made sense within the context several times over.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't see too many people making the claim that Doom Slayer is dead due to its lack of appeal in Japan.
And to my knowledge, only the first Spyro game had a bad port in Japan. I think 2 and 3 had the option to use the Western camera.
Not to mention, K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo got in almost entirely out of Western support.
Yes, Crash would come first (unless they come simultaneously), but Spyro is definitely a possibility. I always default to the "Mega Man didn't disconfirm Ryu" argument, because it's the obvious precedent.
I've been making the claim that Doomguy is dead because of Japan but nobody listens.

Also even if Spyro 2 & 3 weren't botched they still sold like ass because the first one was just so bad.

Untouch

Smash Master
All of the """theories""" have the same problem that the stupid music theory had. They imply Nintendo and Sakurai would make up dumb patterns like this and make it this easy and obvious, and that there's a pattern this rigid that couldn't change at any time.
Do people actually think the DLC was picked based on the potential colours of the characters or whether or not the characters have companions? Cmon.

"Trailer Theory" isn't even a thing, it was just me pointing out a potential idea for DOOMguy's trailer if he gets in.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Not gonna lie, this is stupid. Hero's trailer wasn't a sequel and it's absolutely absurd to use Banjo as evidence for it when it made sense within the context several times over.
True, but I only latched on to that one because it means the pool of characters to guess from isn't as big and it looked fun even though it's probably bull**** like the rest of the theories

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Partner Theory was always a joke by the Phoenix and Layton fanbases, man. You don't have to "disprove" it if it was always goofs. Color theory is also just a humorous observation that each duo of characters is using contrasting colors on a color wheel and match a rainbow (Green-Red, Purple-Yellow). Neither of them are meant to accurately predict **** and they both started as people joking around and using it as "evidence" they'll get who they want.

It's not that serious.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Mii Theory may only have one reveal going for it, but it could build if the next pack is exclusively Square Enix material, and Banjo-Kazooie brings only materials from that series and other Microsoft series.

Even if you don’t agree, you have to admit it’s more realistic than the others previously mentioned.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The only thing that makes me question costume theory is the Akira Mii Costume's absence from the 3.0 update. Unless there is no plan to bring Akira's costume back (which would be weird, considering he now has an assist trophy to complement it) or there was some other category that Sakurai thought the costume would better fit under (Perhaps another fighting game character?), it seems odd that every Sega costume would be brought back except for that one.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hold on a minute...

>Boxing Ring
>Ken and Incineroar revealed
>Both characters have a fire and fighting motif
>Kyo Kusanagi fits both
>SNK is a a dark horse pick for DLC

Damn, I guess I'm pushing that trailer theory agenda...

cover6.jpg

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
All of the """theories""" have the same problem that the stupid music theory had. They imply Nintendo and Sakurai would make up dumb patterns like this and make it this easy and obvious, and that there's a pattern this rigid that couldn't change at any time.
Do people actually think the DLC was picked based on the potential colours of the characters or whether or not the characters have companions? Cmon.

"Trailer Theory" isn't even a thing, it was just me pointing out a potential idea for DOOMguy's trailer if he gets in.
Counterpoint: Box Theory was real, and that was the dumbest thing ever made.
The only thing that makes me question costume theory is the Akira Mii Costume's absence from the 3.0 update. Unless there is no plan to bring Akira's costume back (which would be weird, considering he now has an assist trophy to complement it) or there was some other category that Sakurai thought the costume would better fit under (Perhaps another fighting game character?), it seems odd that every Sega costume would be brought back except for that one.
I think Akira is 100% not coming back. His costume probably didn't sell that well the first time around, given Virtua Fighter's absolute lack of relevance.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Uh
it just occured to me
I am not going to say this char is a lock, nor that the Smash team could make an UT rep work if they desired, but
With Shantae and SK being hard deconfirmed and Steve might as well being deconfirmed, we have only a handful of noteworthy or nintendo-linked indie reps, among them Candance (Crypt of the Necrodancer). She's been featured in a game favored among a few Nintendo upper-ups, to the point of her creator being permitted to create Candance of Hyrule, as well as being new and her game (CoH) being featured heavily in Nintendo directs. It would be wild straw-grasping to assume she WILL be a DLC fighter or a fighter in the future to begin with, but that attention is weird. Pair that with being a more modern kid-friendly rep and the only real threat to this being an UT rep (which themselves are bogged by most major characters being pacifists), it really makes you think...

Like everything I have predicted thus far is wrong (my leaking career ended before it began, sadly), but this bit here is interesting.

ib4 i am told of like a gazillion indies that would be better at that role than Candance

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I could be completely wrong, but to be honest a lot of reasoning for why “Capcom and Namco won’t get the final picks” screams something at me like, “Ken and Incineroar are lame final picks, so it can’t be the last two!”

I don’t know. I’ve been pretty spot on for this game (because of inside info partially, yes, with both Box theory and Grinch), but the recent expectation of Crash largely upshot after Banjo, and suddenly for some folks anything other than Capcom is getting a pick, despite the many series from Capcom completely dwarfing the significance of many of those series suggested.

A ton of people are dismissing Capcom and Namco getting another pick each to close out the pass, but I get a feeling it’s more of “Nah, if Banjo got in then my pick definitely will too.”

Not to say anybody is wrong to think that, but it really makes me think of past instances where the fanbase gets riled up with unchecked expectations, and then gets pissed that it didn’t turn out the way they wanted.

I’m not saying Mii Theory is the be all end all, and it hasn’t been given enough credit to be considered that just yet. However, I think some folks are dismissing it because it’s not what they want.

Be careful with that. That’s all i’m saying.

Even though, really, Capcom and Namco have excellent characters to choose from like stuff from Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Tales, etc. So many good options my dudes.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It should be noted again that Mii Costume being true would only end up that way because it worked out that way in the end, considering it's overall easier to license another IP from a company already on board with Smash compared to getting another new company on board instead. In which case Microsoft is likely the only new company on board with Ultimate's DLC. Compared to other games with guest characters(which average from 1-4), it's now pretty expensive for Nintendo to juggle all of these licenses they've gotten.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I’m not saying Mii Theory is the be all end all, and it hasn’t been given enough credit to be considered that just yet. However, I think some folks are dismissing it because it’s not what they want.
I'm mainly dismissing it because there's only one data point for it. There's absolutely not enough information to gather from that when it's only happened once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom