• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Well this was obvious.

I'll be perfectly fine with either. Jill is like the mascot of the franchise and has a very distinctive design. But Leon is the most popular, the coolest, and the two games he stars in are widely considered to be the best in the franchise. Personally I would prefer Leon.

I'd rather they don't do the DQ thing because they're very different characters and would likely not play the same (not to mention different builds).
The Hero's moves seem to be just like the Mii fighters, where the moves are just tweaks of the move on that button + direction. A real throwback to Wii U/3DS, honestly. I don't think it can be replicated if an RE character group got in.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I think Monster Hunter is one of the last remaning. The franchise is now huge across the globe with the success of Monster Hunter World. It is easy to give him/her a moveset and the franchise is not unknow from Nintendo's fanbase. The most likely newcomer from Capcom for me.

The other one for the pass is probably a Namco rep. I'm still surprise Namco only has 1 character in the game. Probably Loyd, Yuri or Heiachi.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dunno I feel if it is anyone from Capcom is among the final two it's either an RE rep or Phoenix Wright.

I'd love for it to be Amaterasu but I'm doubtful of her happening.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The likeliest female characters at this point IMO are Velvet, Jill, Reimu, and Nakoruru.

And if Hero does only come with SE mii costumes then It's likely the last two characters are indeed from Namco and Capcom.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Dunno I feel if it is anyone from Capcom is among the final two it's either an RE rep or Phoenix Wright.

I'd love for it to be Amaterasu but I'm doubtful of her happening.
RE would be awesome! Jill or Leon. For Phoenix Wright it's a little bit a "niche" franchise. I know it's not really a problem now that we have Persona in Smash, but it is still a disadvantage compare to the the colossus MH and RE.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Yes, they totally do.
Banjo got in, I think Crash is the most wanted Western character now. He is a legend in Japan too.
Sans/Frisk or any Undertale rep come next, then Fortnite rep and Steve I guess. These are mostly coming from kids.
May be Shantae as well. Not many demands. But I see a lot of people are saying she is acceptable.
I was wondering, what are some characters that have sizeable support in Japan but basically no support or presence in the west?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Back in Smash 4 and Brawl, Arle was one of them, but I don't think that's the case anymore (especially on Twitter).

AuraCuba

Smash Rookie
NNID
Klipso
Switch FC
1143-1102-9840
I expect a Bamco character, and, honestly, I think Klonoa has a decent shot for the spot.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I expect a Bamco character, and, honestly, I think Klonoa has a decent shot for the spot.
Klonoa hasn't gotten a game since the original was remade for the Wii, and they also cancelled a planned movie based on the series.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Klonoa hasn't gotten a game since the original was remade for the Wii, and they also cancelled a planned movie based on the series.
I don't think relevance is a problem. The thing with Klonoa is that, unlike Banjo or Geno, whose fanbases are among the biggest in the Smash community, Klonoa is not only niche, but has a lot of other Namco characters and franchises as competition - all of them with bigger general fanbases, like Tekken, Tales and even Digimon.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
It's a shame that we found out about the code name data and the character model basis'. Nintendo arent going to let things like that happen again, even if in hindsight both of those things were two of the biggest non-leak hints to Hero and Banjo

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I see Leon and Jill's names thrown around a lot, but how would you feel if we got Chris Redfield instead?

Like Jill he starred in the first game during it's most survival horror period, and like Leon he's also starred in one of the more actiony games, and two. He was there at the beginning of the story with Wesker, and he was there for the arc's conclusion...

...on paper he seems like a good choice to me at least. Any thoughts?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I see Leon and Jill's names thrown around a lot, but how would you feel if we got Chris Redfield instead?

Like Jill, he starred in the first game during it's most survival horror period, and like Leon, he's also starred in one of the more actiony games, and two. He was there at the beginning of the story with Wesker, and he was there for the arc's conclusion...

...on paper, he seems like a good choice to me at least. Any thoughts?
Chris just isn't that popular compared to Jill or Leon. The only way he gets in is if Capcom pushed Nintendo to pick him, or all four got in ala Dragon Quest.

I don't think either scenario is likely. I'm personally betting on Jill or Leon by themselves with multiple different costumes.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Like Jill he starred in the first game during it's most survival horror period, and like Leon he's also starred in one of the more actiony games, and two. He was there at the beginning of the story with Wesker, and he was there for the arc's conclusion...

Dunno, I'm not a RE fan myself, but most people seem to favor Jill or Leon a lot more than Chris, right? I think even Capcom themselves used to do, to a certain extent. Jill was the one chosen for MvC2 as the sole character from RE. However, more recently, we saw how Chris was chosen for MvCI instead.

The fans seem to prefer Jill or Leon, either way. I might be wrong, but I think even Wesker is more popular than Chris in Capcom crossovers.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I’m so for a Leon/Jill one two echo punch with Jill being lighter and faster, but Leon bring stronger abs slower

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dunno, I'm not a RE fan myself, but most people seem to favor Jill or Leon a lot more than Chris, right? I think even Capcom themselves used to do, to a certain extent. Jill was the one chosen for MvC2 as the sole character from RE. However, more recently, we saw how Chris was chosen for MvCI instead.

The fans seem to prefer Jill or Leon, either way. I might be wrong, but I think even Wesker is more popular than Chris in Capcom crossovers.
Come to think of it wasn't Chris's return in MvCI not really well recieved on account of him not being Leon?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I think Chris was chosen for MvCI mainly because he already had a move set they could copy and paste from MvC3. That game had a much smaller budget and they brought back a lot of the same characters from 3, even the odd or less popular ones.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Come to think of it wasn't Chris's return in MvCI not really well recieved on account of him not being Leon?
That, and because he looked like **** in that game. Well, a lot of characters did, but... oh well.

I think Chris was chosen for MvCI mainly because he already had a move set they could copy and paste from MvC3. That game had a much smaller budget and they brought back a lot of the same characters from 3, even the odd or less popular ones.
Yeah, plus the whole "functions" thing... they probably thought Jill could have her "role" fulfilled by someone else or something.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Chris was in MvC3 because he was the protagonist of the at-the-time relevant RE5. He was in MvCI because that game was a garbage fire.

In general, Jill was always more popular during RE's original run, and Leon eclipsed her from RE4 onwards.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I was wondering, what are some characters that have sizeable support in Japan but basically no support or presence in the west?
Now DQ is out of the way, Monster Hunter is getting sizeable support in the west too, probably Arle Nadja is the most wanted Japan pick.
For Tales of rep, Cress, Stahn and Yuri. Velvet, Luke and Lloyd too. But I also see people questioning the relevancy of Lloyd.
Reimu/Marisa and Saber/Mash has huge presences.
Goemon, Sakura Shinguji, Pawapuro-kun, Felyne, Atelier series rep, Valkyrie, Shiren, Nobunaga Oda, Yukimura Sanada, Zhao Yun, Mana series rep, Neptune, Haruka Amami, Uzuki Shimamura or Rin Shibuya, Kunio, Shiori Fujisaki, Momotaro, Jibanyan, Wagan. These third party characters I see their names coming up often.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Now DQ is out of the way, Monster Hunter is getting sizeable support in the west too, probably Arle Nadja is the most wanted Japan pick.
For Tales of rep, Cress, Stahn and Yuri. Velvet, Luke and Lloyd too. But I also see people questioning the relevancy of Lloyd.
Goemon, Sakura Shinguji, Pawapuro-kun, Felyne, Atelier series rep, Valkyrie, Shiren, Nobunaga Oda, Yukimura Sanada, Zhao Yun, Mana series rep, Neptune, Haruka Amami, Uzuki Shimamura or Rin Shibuya, Kunio, Shiori Fujisaki, Momotaro, Jibanyan, Wagan. These third party characters I see their names coming up often.
Shiori would actually be a pretty cool character. Seeing a high school girl beating up holy warriors, space pirates, and genetically made killing machines would be fun. Plus, I'd love to see how Sakurai would bring the mechanics of a dating sim to Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Most of those characters are either obscure or lack recognition outside of Japan. Japanese popularity isn't everything when it comes to Smash.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
God the more i think about it, the more I get sad about Saki and Ray 001. Back when we still had Ultimate Speculations, I was thinking Sakurai would give these 2 the Little Mac treatment. They are spirits though, which stinks I guess.

Im just saying, 2 unique nintendo franchise protagonists, that while obscure, have veryblittle representation and cut assist trophies in Ultimate.

Dream DLC for me would be:

- Artorias/Dark Souls rep
- Jill

For the remaining 2 DLC in pack 1. Then, if miraculously a pack 2 was announced, then:

- Porky
- Isaac
- Chorus Kids
- Saki
- Ray 001

Itd never happen, especially over popular characters still missing, like Zelda reps or another FE/Pokemon rep, but the dream lol.
i do really hate to self advertise but

the link in my signature leads to a smash u deluxe with saki in it

shameless, likely banworthy behavior aside...
anyone know if there's a way to DM or the like on this site?
thx in advance!

D

Deleted member

Surprising list, I know there's a few characters in and there that are known here. Tales seems like a good pick global-wise.

How's Biohazard/Resident Evil perception there? I know it is not that big but the games sell decently. I can imagine both Bio and Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban while not unpopular are just dwarfed by MH.

(Also is Oda Nobunaga from the Nobunaga's Ambition (Yaibou) or from the Sengoku Musou?)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm guessing by Mana Series, it means mostly Riesz. I would love to see her. She's one of the earliest physical female RPG fighters plus she uses a spear. But alas it's incredibly unlikely.

D

Deleted member

Zhao Yun and Yukimura Sanada make for some pretty fascinating picks if Koei-Tecmo were to have a character in the Fighter Pass. Both are the mascots of their respective Musou series and very popular among the Japanese Musou fans. If either of the 2 or Ryu Hayabusa are in the Fighter Pass, I'm 100% certian there's going to be a Nobunaga mii costume (and maybe even a Nobunyaga mii hat/costume as well).

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Most of those characters are either obscure or lack recognition outside of Japan. Japanese popularity isn't everything when it comes to Smash.
I think Arle is the only actual possibility. May be Reimu too. But not in the current FP.
For Tales of rep, I think Lloyd is the only choice here.

Surprising list, I know there's a few characters in and there that are known here. Tales seems like a good pick global-wise.

How's Biohazard/Resident Evil perception there? I know it is not that big but the games sell decently. I can imagine both Bio and Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban while not unpopular are just dwarfed by MH.

(Also is Oda Nobunaga from the Nobunaga's Ambition (Yaibou) or from the Sengoku Musou?)
RE reps are considered as highly possible DLC. Phoenix has big supporters in Japan too. But may be you're right about MH demands overshadowing their voices.
And yes, Nobunaga is the guy from yhe Nobunaga's Ambition series. But I don't think any historical figures can make in though.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
What does everyone think of the Undertale/Waluigi leak gaining a tiny bit of heat?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Dunno if this was posted here but the DQ Hero guy posted today again.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If this guy is legit then Reimu is out. Also, assuming his friend (Mr.H) is Harada then I can't think of any popular female characters from Namco that are more popular than KOS-MOS. There's the fact he also says "like" a fighting game character and not IT IS a fighting game female which means even if his friend is Harada then it's not a tekken rep.

KOS-MOS resembles Alisa Bosconovitch in moveset from tekken. They are both gynoids... and Harada manages all Namco franchises now. It's all interesting to put together and smash circles have heavily been speculating that next is a Namco and Capcom character.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think Monster Hunter is one of the last remaning. The franchise is now huge across the globe with the success of Monster Hunter World. It is easy to give him/her a moveset and the franchise is not unknow from Nintendo's fanbase. The most likely newcomer from Capcom for me.

The other one for the pass is probably a Namco rep. I'm still surprise Namco only has 1 character in the game. Probably Loyd, Yuri or Heiachi.
I'd be peeved if it was the Hunter due to already getting content from the series in the base roster. It would seem like they purposely held him back for DLC.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

If this guy is legit then Reimu is out. Also, assuming his friend (Mr.H) is Harada then I can't think of any popular female characters from Namco that are more popular than KOS-MOS. There's the fact he also says "like" a fighting game character and not IT IS a fighting game female which means even if his friend is Harada then it's not a tekken rep.

KOS-MOS resembles Alisa Bosconovitch in moveset from tekken. They are both gynoids... and Harada manages all Namco franchises now. It's all interesting to put together and smash circles have heavily been speculating that next is a Namco and Capcom character.
So either KOS-MOS or Velvet then if this rumor is somehow true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am not entertaining that guy. How hard is it to say a name?

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the more I see it currently, the Mii costume theory could potentially happen as I feel that there are some good things going for it but at the same time I want to see the contents of the Hero DLC pass before supporting it.

I feel it makes a lot of sense for the Mii costumes to be released alongside the parent company DLC but given some haven't reappeared yet, its questionable atm.

My only reasoning apart from this is that a combination of franchises like RE/MH and a Tales rep seem quite balanced regarding interest in the East and West. And the more I read it, I think that western-wise the characters with more chance given their status in Japan are Crash and Dovahkin (Skyrim).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd be peeved if it was the Hunter due to already getting content from the series in the base roster. It would seem like they purposely held him back for DLC.
Not necessarily. Base game had a tight schedule and datamining shows there were no MH character in development when the game released.

Lucas, Roy and Corrin weren't hold back for DLC, even though Mother and Fire Emblem had content in Smash For base game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would definitely say when it comes to Capcom reps that Monster Hunter is in the top 3 to most likely get in alongside Phoenix Wright and an Resident Evil rep.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The thing is Chris sucks and is super boring

Didn't this guy already confess he was joking and knew nothing?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly the only reason I doubt it's Monster Hunter is the fact that Nintendo seem to be making it clear that the Rathalos boss and arena is the "Monster Hunter representation" in a similar way assist trophies basically guarantee that their "representation" is complete and doesn't need to be added on unless reconsidered in a future game.

Looking at Capcom's current marketing I could see a Resident Evil character, Dante from Devil May Cry, or if they wanted to go towards a game with more legacy and/or Nintendo connection, Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.0

I honestly think if it's any character, it's Chris Redfield. Capcom have made it pretty clear that he's the "face" of RE with how he gets represented in crossovers.

I'd certainly like him, but I know for a fact he's the least popular of the RE protagonists thus far...

Well maybe besides characters from RE6, but I never was around for that scene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom