• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Namco was much easier since none of the characters here are already in Smash in any way, nor have they been deconfirmed.
3.- Heihachi (58) / 7. - The Prince (108).
Pac-Man's Namco Roulette includes the exclusive characters from both the WiiU and 3DS versions. Additionally, Heihachi Mishima from Tekken and The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy have been added ;)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if this is true, all we gotta go off is a female character who fights hand to hand and it's super well known.

It's kinda self defeating as a clue as every time I get someone I second guess myself and wonder if they're too iconic to be forgotten like that.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah, she may be not even a fighting game character.

Doomguy, straight up a gaijin character from a gaijin game. The green Samus with a real gun. Maybe Master Chief is more well known. The other green Samus with a real gun. Most of them can't even tell the difference between Dommguy and Chief. Or maybe thinking they're literally the same character from the same franchise.
Ryu Hayabusa, they know he is probably the last big third party icon from the NES era. Understandable, but I think still people find him as a gaijin pick. I mean he is a ninja after all so yeah.
Out of curiousity, do they want Crash over there?

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So what are the most wanted female characters at the moment?

Velvet, Jill, Lara Croft and KOS-MOS?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

In the west, probably Shantae, then Dixie. But neither of them is gonna make it.

Jill is only going to get more popular from here on out. After that there's a definite drop.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Elma probably ranks up there despite being a Spirit, and in the pipe dream crowd we have 2B. There's also Ammy, Chun-Li, and others who are less requested but still popular.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Elma probably ranks up there despite being a Spirit, and in the pipe dream crowd we have 2B. There's also Ammy, Chun-Li, and others who are less requested but still popular.
Can't tell it's just coincidence that a lot of the obvious female character candidates are from Capcom or from companies made up of Capcom alumni...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Mine are Amaterasu, Elma and Medusa.

Granted I admit Elma is the only one I see that really has a shot at this point although Amaterash could prove you be a surprise pick.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really don't see them adding a female character for the sake of it.
I don't think anyone was suggesting they would.

Mine are Amaterasu, Elma and Medusa.

Granted I admit Elma is the only one I see that really has a shot at this point although Amaterash could prove you be a surprise pick.
When it comes to Elma, I think it's time to give up the ghost.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Bandai Namco are retiring Heihachi, but I don't buy this idea some said here that the Tekken rep in Smash HAS to be him and nobody else. The series story slowly moved away from him to focus on Jin vs Kazuya, with Tekken 7 being his last game on the spotlight. I'm not ruling him out either because he's still one of the most important characters, but it also would be a lot smarter for Bandai Namco to focus your future promotional crossovers on the Father-Son rivalry. Also:

Assuming it's true and it's a female SNK character, I'm PRAYING it's not Mai. Mai's seen enough love from SNK when it comes to crossovers, let someone else have the spotlight.
I agree with this and I think the same about Heihachi.

I find Heihachi to still be in an iffy situation with the VA passing away. Even if the character being retired happens to be a made up thing, I'm not so sure if BN (and maybe Sakurai) would want to go scouting for VAs to fill in that role before the February 2020 deadline. Unless they had some voiceclips they could use for Smash or managed to get find a new VA in such a tight schedule or even make him a mute character, I don't think we'll be seeing him anytime soon.
His Tekken 1&2 VA, Banjo Ginga, is still very active.

Ps: I had so much I wanted to say about this "female character that looks like it's from a fighting game", but I'm not sure if it's worth speculating anymore lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So if this is true, all we gotta go off is a female character who fights hand to hand and it's super well known.
Clearly This means the next DLC fighter is Tifa.

I don't think Bandai Namco are retiring Heihachi, but I don't buy this idea some said here that the Tekken rep in Smash HAS to be him and nobody else. The series story slowly moved away from him to focus on Jin vs Kazuya, with Tekken 7 being his last game on the spotlight. I'm not ruling him out either because he's still one of the most important characters, but it also would be a lot smarter for Bandai Namco to focus your future promotional crossovers on the Father-Son rivalry.
From what I understand Heihachi is the character everyone knows about but Jin is the actual main character. Due to his recognize-ability Heihachi is the better DLC pick, but if they wanted to they could instead hold off until next game where they could add both characters, or just Jin as a base roster character. (Or they could do Jin & whoever Kazuya is.)

Also isn't Heihachi Jin's father?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just for fun, I decided to look at the 10 most wanted Capcom and Namco characters (including the number they ranked) in Source Gaming's massive poll, which is kind of outdated due to Banjo and Hero's reveals, but because of its size, I thought it'd be interesting.

For Capcom, I had to omit a bunch of characters because they were either deconfirmed, or already appeared in Smash. There's a huge gap in some of them as you can see.
1.- Phoenix Wright (13)
2.- Amaterasu (21)
3.- Leon S. Kennedy (30)
4.- Monster Hunter (41)
5.- Viewtiful Joe (94)
6.- Jill Valentine (158)
7.- Arthur (165)
8.- Albert Wesker (217)
9.- Jon Talbain (232)
10.- Morrigan (237)
The omitted characters were Dante (14), Zero (73), Chun-Li (93), X (175) and Proto Man (190).

Namco was much easier since none of the characters here are already in Smash in any way, nor have they been deconfirmed.
1.- Klonoa (28)
2.- Lloyd Irving (41)
3.- Heihachi (58)
4.- Solaire (66)
5.- Yuri Lowell (76)
6.- KOS-MOS (82)
7.- The Prince (108)
8.- Velvet Crowe (135)
9.- Taizo Hori (150)
10.- Chosen Undead (180)
I was surprised to see such a wide gap between Leon and Jill for RE. Is Leon really that popular?

For Namco, I'm glad people are still fighting for Klonoa, but I dunno... I just have little hope for him in general when it comes to Bandai Namco characters. It would be good to see them give Klonoa one more chance, though.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Wait
A female character from a fighting game
Hasn't 2B been in like several fighting games?
Granted, i doubt the legitimacy of this leak, but ya never know

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I was surprised to see such a wide gap between Leon and Jill for RE. Is Leon really that popular?
I imagine a combination of Resident Evil 4 being the "Nintendo" Resident Evil game and Resident Evil 2 Remake being fresh on everyone's minds when the poll was done

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Clearly This means the next DLC fighter is Tifa.

From what I understand Heihachi is the character everyone knows about but Jin is the actual main character. Due to his recognize-ability Heihachi is the better DLC pick, but if they wanted to they could instead hold off until next game where they could add both characters, or just Jin as a base roster character. (Or they could do Jin & whoever Kazuya is.)

Also isn't Heihachi Jin's father?
Heihachi is Kazuya's father. Kazuya is Jin's father, they even share the spotlight on the Bandai Namco logo intro in Tekken.

And yes, Tifa would be awesome :)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm curious.

What's the general consensus on the Leon v. Jill debate? If we were to see a RE rep, who would it be?

I've also seen some people throw around the idea of making a Resident Evil character similar to Hero, where they have Leon, Jill, Chris, and Claire skins. It's a cool idea, but I don't know how well it would work given the character's different builds and heights.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm curious.

What's the general consensus on the Leon v. Jill debate? If we were to see a RE rep, who would it be?

I've also seen some people throw around the idea of making a Resident Evil character similar to Hero, where they have Leon, Jill, Chris, and Claire skins. It's a cool idea, but I don't know how well it would work given the character's different builds and heights.
Yeah all the plyable DQ heroes in Smash are late teen boys with strong but unexagurated builds.

Jill and Leon have entirely different builds from each other, and that's not even taking Chris "I use protein shake instead of milk in my wheatabix" Redfield into account.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Yeah all the plyable DQ heroes in Smash are late teen boys with strong but unexagurated builds.

Jill and Leon have entirely different builds from each other, and that's not even taking Chris "I use protein shake instead of milk in my wheatabix" Redfield into account.
"We're proud to announce Charizard is getting Rock Smash back to commemorate Chris Redfield's inclusion".

D

Deleted member

I really don't see them adding a female character for the sake of it.
I could see them adding a female character due to a few of them being quite popular.
I'm curious.

IMO, I feel that both Leon and Jill are good picks for RE. They kinda alternate appearing in the main titles up until 6 (in 5 Jill originally is an NPC but becomes playable in the DLC and is the MC of Revelations) which is cool as they kinda end up showing the different mechanics and evolution of the franchise. Plus ability-wise they have a little bit of everything you can do in the series to show like knife-wieilding (Deadly Silence and 4), roundhouse kicks (Revelations and 4), multiple guns and grenades, and so on.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
God the more i think about it, the more I get sad about Saki and Ray 001. Back when we still had Ultimate Speculations, I was thinking Sakurai would give these 2 the Little Mac treatment. They are spirits though, which stinks I guess.

Im just saying, 2 unique nintendo franchise protagonists, that while obscure, have veryblittle representation and cut assist trophies in Ultimate.

Dream DLC for me would be:

- Artorias/Dark Souls rep
- Jill

For the remaining 2 DLC in pack 1. Then, if miraculously a pack 2 was announced, then:

- Porky
- Isaac
- Chorus Kids
- Saki
- Ray 001

Itd never happen, especially over popular characters still missing, like Zelda reps or another FE/Pokemon rep, but the dream lol.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I could see them adding a female character due to a few of them being quite popular.

IMO, I feel that both Leon and Jill are good picks for RE. They kinda alternate appearing in the main titles up until 6 (in 5 Jill originally is an NPC but becomes playable in the DLC and is the MC of Revelations) which is cool as they kinda end up showing the different mechanics and evolution of the franchise. Plus ability-wise they have a little bit of everything you can do in the series to show like knife-wieilding (Deadly Silence and 4), roundhouse kicks (Revelations and 4), multiple guns and grenades, and so on.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I know very little about RE), but the way I see it, Jill represents Resident Evil in the 90s, which was focused more on the survival horror aspects. Meanwhile, Leon represents the modern, more action-oriented titles.

Am I right or wrong in this assumption?

But damn it I wish they would!!
Yeah, me too, but every fighting game SE puts their content in seems to get different characters. Dunno if this is actually a thing or if the devs of those games hand-picked each character on their own. There's 2B in SC6, Noctis in Tekken 7, Cloud and Hero in Smash Ultimate. Did I forget anyone?

Even then, with Square already having content in the Fighter Pass, I think this is it for them.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong (I know very little about RE), but the way I see it, Jill represents Resident Evil in the 90s, which was focused more on the survival horror aspects. Meanwhile, Leon represents the modern, more action-oriented titles.

That's pretty much right. They're both equally iconic but I feel that there's something of a generation gap in terms of which one you see as the face.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Jill was the co-lead of the first game (along with Chris Redfield) and lead of Resident Evil 3. Leon is co-lead of Resident Evil 2 (with Claire Redfield).

Resident Evil 1-3, Code Veronica and 0 are the old school games with fixed camera and tank controls. But then Resident Evil 4 underwent about a billion iterations and came back with the over the shoulder camera and basically revolutionised the genre. It starred Leon as the main character which is why hes the face of that version.

They're both known for the old school style, but Leon was in the game that leapt the series ahead. And Jill hasn't really had a starring role in a mainline game since 3 (until the Remake comes out)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well here's a list of potential 3rd party females I've compiled. It's by no means complee but it's most the bigger ones I know.

Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Chun-li (Street Fighter)
Monster Hunter (Little Big Planet, where do you think?)
Tifa (Final Fantasy 7)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Jonah Dark (Perfect Dark, very long shot based of her getting merch the same time as Banjo)
Shantae (A lot of indie games)
Alex (Female default avi from Minecraft)
Reimu (Touhou)
Cooking Mama (the -Mama series)

SKX31

Smash Master
Speculating whether we get a second pass feels pointless at the moment. I don't know what the normal attach rate for video game DLC is, but I feel like the only way this game gets 5 more fighters is if this batch sells insanely well. Like it's a complete no brainer to ask Sakurai to stay on for another year.

But then, a second fighters pass would inevitably have a steep drop off from the first in terms of numbers AND be choosing from a potentially less hype pool. Like if the fighters pass ends up being Persona, DQ, Banjo, Resident Evil & Tekken. Theres no way they can match the size of the franchises or just general want levels for the game.

It's fun to speculate that we might end up with 85 unique fighters when all is said and done, but I think we all have to prepare for 75 being the top and the next game inevitably making cuts
I'm not so sure you'd have a neccessarily steep drop off in hype. The second pass can still choose from, in that scenario:

* Steve or Master Chief
* Crash or Spyro
* Soul Calibur or KOS MOS
* Rayman or Ezio / Any other Assassin
* Lara Croft or 2B
* Doomguy or The Dragonborn
* Capcom has probably the strongest collection of characters outside of Nintendo.
* And whatever else I'm not mentioning like Ryu Hayabusa or surprise indie characters like Freedom Planet's Lilac.

I think what's happening is that we're starting to run out of obvious Japanese third parties to add (with Koei Tecmo being the only unrepresented company discussed in any major capacity). Of course, Nintendo has always the option to add its own characters at any point (second pass or not), but if Smash continues (second pass or Smash 6), most new third parties will soon start shifting to Western characters.

As for a second pass, I don't think we have the neccessary info to really judge its chances (or rule it out). Nintendo's only been doling out DLC consistently since the Wii U days, and there are companies who've been doing it for far longer and thus established their own standards with DLC. That, and both Nintendo and Sakurai have the flexibility to decide how long they want to support Ultimate. Then there are possible other factors like Nintendo perhaps eyeing to promote its own new releases (a bit more subtly than Corrin this time) and / or possible agreements with Ubisoft, Bethesda or whatever. The arguments pointing against a second pass are valid, I just don't think they're conclusive.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Don't forget Arle Nadja. Puyo Puyo's still a relatively successful series with a long history, and Dragon Quest getting in really boosts the chances of franchises considered to be Japan-locked.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well here's a list of potential 3rd party females I've compiled. It's by no means complee but it's most the bigger ones I know.

Chun-li (Street Fighter)
Tifa (Final Fantasy 7)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Jonah Dark (Perfect Dark, very long shot based of her getting merch the same time as Banjo)
Reimu (Touhou)
2B from NieR Automata is a pipe dream but popular
Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria is the most recent Tales protagonist not counting Arise
Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo is a classic face of her franchise and was a popular Japanese ballot pick
Mai Shiranui is a popular crossover fighter and SNK rep, arguably as iconic to the King of Fighters series as Terry Bogard

If nothing else I like that this list is nice and varied. Lots of cool picks here.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Chun-li (Street Fighter)
Tifa (Final Fantasy 7)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Reimu (Touhou)
I think Nakoruru could also be added to the list. If we get an SNK rep, it would either be her or Terry Bogard.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If we have to get a Resident Evil character, I'm holding out hope for Wesker single-handedly because of ProtonJon's streams.

Though really, I could see it being Chris/Leon/Claire/Jill way before I actually see it being Wesker.

Also, if not this pass, Hero is a massive help to Arle and she's one of those I really see getting in next pass/game.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Out of curiousity, do they want Crash over there?
Yes, they totally do.
Banjo got in, I think Crash is the most wanted Western character now. He is a legend in Japan too.
Sans/Frisk or any Undertale rep come next, then Fortnite rep and Steve I guess. These are mostly coming from kids.
May be Shantae as well. Not many demands. But I see a lot of people are saying she is acceptable.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The man was capping, we move.
Well this was obvious.
I'm curious.

I'll be perfectly fine with either. Jill is like the mascot of the franchise and has a very distinctive design. But Leon is the most popular, the coolest, and the two games he stars in are widely considered to be the best in the franchise. Personally I would prefer Leon.

I'd rather they don't do the DQ thing because they're very different characters and would likely not play the same (not to mention different builds).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom