• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, with datamines having spots in adventure mode for 16 characters with one slot being Plant and five for the current pass. let us do a thought experiment.

Say we get this fighters pass, a season 2, and an echo pass. Who do you put in as your relatively realistic guesses? You get 7 newcomers and 5 echoes

Here is what mine would be.
-Crash
-Lloyd
-Leon/Jill/Chris/Claire (like with Hero)
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Doomguy
-Travis Touchdown
-Sans

As for echoes
-Ninten
-Dixie
-Dry Bowser
-Hilda
-Octolings

Logic was I took a bunch of cool requests for third parties that fit the bill without double dipping for any third party. I know Travis is not happening for season 1 but I could see him being considered for Season 2. I feel this is a relatively solid selection of seven characters. Keep in mind I am assuming no first party stuff since I think we won't get any unless we get bonuses outside passes like with Plant.

As for echoes, took a Zelda echo because that series seems like one that could use some love. Ninten and Dixie are fan fav choices. Octolings because obvious pick. Dry Bowser as a final choice to add a bit of diversity (villain, heavy). Only first parties because I do not think Nintendo would negotiate for third party echoes for DLC.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
This is

exactly my thoughts, maybe Leon with a palette swap of Jill and a tales rep of some kind.
That’s a good idea, Leon and Jill would probably play identically. It’d be really cool if they were alts, each with 4 costumes

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Was Travis directly deconfirmed? He always seemed like a really likely choice for me (first two NMH games were Wii exclusives, there is a new one coming out soon for the switch), but I don't quite know enough on that topic to make such a statement.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
So a little question to Crash supporters, why do you all feel so pumped after the Banjo reveal?
I think that Banjo actually hurt his chances, I mean, another western 3rd party rep from a platformer game of the PS1/N64 era?
It's just a thought I had, don't take it too seriously.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Was Travis directly deconfirmed? He always seemed like a really likely choice for me (first two NMH games were Wii exclusives, there is a new one coming out soon for the switch), but I don't quite know enough on that topic to make such a statement.
Sadly, Suda and the devs had a lengthy conversation about what they would do IF they were approached for Smash back around when Travis Strikes Again was announced, and we in the thread accept it as a likely deconfirmation.

...That said, Grant Kirkhope didn't know until this January that Banjo was going to be picked for Smash, so...there's hope??

(There's no hope, even if he's my second most-wanted)

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, Suda and the devs had a lengthy conversation about what they would do IF they were approached for Smash back around when Travis Strikes Again was announced, and we in the thread accept it as a likely deconfirmation.

...That said, Grant Kirkhope didn't know until this January that Banjo was going to be picked for Smash, so...there's hope??

(There's no hope, even if he's my second most-wanted)
I do feel that, as a Louie supporter. Trav doesn't have a Spirit, at least

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
My """theory""" is that knowing that Suda has asked for so long, Sakurai decided not to tell him because it'd be a much bigger shock

But of course that's just me joking/being hopeful

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So a little question to Crash supporters, why do you all feel so pumped after the Banjo reveal?
I think that Banjo actually hurt his chances, I mean, another western 3rd party rep from a platformer game of the PS1/N64 era?

As a big crash supporter I will explain.

A large part of it is that there is no reasonable barrier anymore. Activision is hella chill, Crash has been a big name again since 2016, he’s in the switch with his big games, western third parties are a thing now, and he is a goddamn icon.

As for banjo filling the same niche, I feel Hero helps disprove that (both JRPGs$.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If anything wouldn’t Banjo help Crash get in? Shows that Western characters can sell well, and all.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

A large part of it is that there is no reasonable barrier anymore. Activision is hella chill, Crash has been a big name again since 2016, he’s in the switch with his big games, western third parties are a thing now, and he is a goddamn icon.

As for banjo filling the same niche, I feel Hero helps disprove that (both JRPGs$.
I’ve never played a Crash game (grew up a Nintendo kid) and I’d love to see him in the game because he was such an icon for Sony in the 90’s.

Mario, Sonic, and Crash all in one game? That would be huge. I also think Banjo helps his chances.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Pete Hines from Bethesda, when talking about Doom (about Eternal and the series 25th Anniversary and such), says at 39:14 "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans".

Is he hinting at Doom Slayer as DLC for Smash?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Pete Hines from Bethesda, when talking about Doom (about Eternal and the series 25th Anniversary and such), says at 39:14 "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans".

I’m not worthy!
Seriously, if Doom Slayer comes to Smash, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it! I wasn’t planning on having a secondary , but Doom Slayer might just be it if he’s included.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
So, with datamines having spots in adventure mode for 16 characters with one slot being Plant and five for the current pass. let us do a thought experiment.

Say we get this fighters pass, a season 2, and an echo pass. Who do you put in as your relatively realistic guesses? You get 7 newcomers and 5 echoes

Here is what mine would be.
-Crash
-Lloyd
-Leon/Jill/Chris/Claire (like with Hero)
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Doomguy
-Travis Touchdown
-Sans

As for echoes
-Ninten
-Dixie
-Dry Bowser
-Hilda
-Octolings

Logic was I took a bunch of cool requests for third parties that fit the bill without double dipping for any third party. I know Travis is not happening for season 1 but I could see him being considered for Season 2. I feel this is a relatively solid selection of seven characters. Keep in mind I am assuming no first party stuff since I think we won't get any unless we get bonuses outside passes like with Plant.

As for echoes, took a Zelda echo because that series seems like one that could use some love. Ninten and Dixie are fan fav choices. Octolings because obvious pick. Dry Bowser as a final choice to add a bit of diversity (villain, heavy). Only first parties because I do not think Nintendo would negotiate for third party echoes for DLC.
Realistically?

Newcomer:

Doomguy
Lloyd
Pokemon rep
Dante
Dixie
Crash Geno/Sora

Echo:
Shadow
Ninten
Octolings
A sword user maybe
Funky Kong

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I’m not worthy!
Seriously, if Doom Slayer comes to Smash, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it! I wasn’t planning on having a secondary , but Doom Slayer might just be it if he’s included.
I wasn't seriously considering it, but...
Which design would they go with? Is Eternal too soon? Would they pull a Hero and have every armor?

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post; one-word spam

Pleeeeeaaaaasssseee!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I feel like there might be a pattern in the selection of DLC newcomers:
Joker: Very relevant and from a new game
B&K: Nostalgia from an older game
Hero: Both nostalgic and getting new remakes on Switch

All 3 were pretty popular requests.

I'd say it's fair to assume the next two DLC fighters could be in one or two of those categories, considering how they want newcomers to be surprises. I'm going to rule out Spirits since at this point it should be obvious that there won't be redundancies with DLC.

It may be likely that we'll get a character from something being remade or ported to the switch and/or another nostalgia request. I have a few characters in mid, what to you guys think?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Perhaps a belated take on the whole "female fighting game character" topic (even though it could very well be nothing)... why are people largely ignoring Sophitia?

SoulCalibur itself has made a resurgence (while being one of few fighting game series to achieve some casual and mainstream popularity) and her design wouldn't be too hard to clean up (or even negotiate for to begin with, due to Namco being dev partners here); a more aggressive short sword style mixed with lightning powers she apparently has now in VI makes her more unique than the "true protagonist" Mitsurugi (and she's still considered a face of the franchise and held the clear protagonist role in earlier games, with them being the first two characters shown together in SCVI).
I'd think she'd be a more obvious pick over almost total obscurity (SNK characters) and a character who's Capcom's Captain Falcon equivalent in mostly the wrong ways

Like, my goodness, are the people here THAT phobic about anybody with a sword?

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
My realistic picks are KOS-MOS and Jill Valentine.

If this fighting game girl thing is true then we have to remember that picking Chun Li doesn't work as she's a spirit and I feel there's so much evidence with the fighter pass that spirits means characters cannot get in. They even add new spirits for the series, etc.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
A female fighting character sounds very interesting. She would be the first 3rd party female fighting character, so that would be different.

That said outside Sophitia and Chun-Li I don’t really see any other female fighting characters being chosen over their male counterparts.

Chun-Li is a spirit and it’s very unlikely we will get another Street Fighter character.

Sophitia I still think has a good chance, outside Siegfried/Nightmare she’s the next iconic Soul Calibur character. Yes her outfit is a bit revealing however they could change it so it’s not so revealing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Perhaps a belated take on the whole "female fighting game character" topic (even though it could very well be nothing)... why are people largely ignoring Sophitia?

SoulCalibur itself has made a resurgence (while being one of few fighting game series to achieve some casual and mainstream popularity) and her design wouldn't be too hard to clean up (or even negotiate for to begin with, due to Namco being dev partners here); a more aggressive short sword style mixed with lightning powers she apparently has now in VI makes her more unique than the "true protagonist" Mitsurugi (and she's still considered a face of the franchise and held the clear protagonist role in earlier games, with them being the first two characters shown together in SCVI).
I'd think she'd be a more obvious pick over almost total obscurity (SNK characters) and a character who's Capcom's Captain Falcon equivalent in mostly the wrong ways

I feel that in the case of Soul Calibur, there are quite a few characters that could be the face of the franchise in addition of Mitsurugi and Sophitia and frankly from my memory the face changes quite a bit. The most popular in the speculation cycle seems to be Nightmare due to sharing the status of mascot of the series which I would argue he was the face from SCII to SCIII where Siegfried kinda gained importance again and was kinda sharing the face role with Nightmare, also I would argue that Xianghua could fit the mold of face at least during Soul Calibur where she was the wielder of the titular sword.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to say who the "protagonist" of SoulCalibur is. Siegfried/Nightmare, Ivy, Kilik, Sophitia, Mitsurugi and more could all have a claim to that title. My main problem with the idea of a SoulCalibur character getting into Smash is: a) SoulCalibur VI isn't on the Switch: and, b) Tekken probably takes priority for Namco.

But then again, SoulCalibur II is a beloved GameCube classic. Sakurai could pull that off if he wanted.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

That's actually pretty cool, I can't think of any other reason why he would hint Nintendo fans that way.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

People are ignoring Sophitia because if anyone from Soul Calibur makes it in, it'd be Nightmare, no question.

osby

Smash Obsessed

The answer of your final question is yes, people complained about Joker because he has a sharp weapon that isn't on a stick.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Despite Banjo-Kazooie's addition to the roster, I still see Crash's chances still being quite good. Not only has he made a comeback with the N'sane Trilogy, and now with Crash Team Racing, but also there is no way that they would let pass the chance to bring in one of the three main mascots from the Console War era (Nintendo v Sega v Sony). I still remember seeing in a GamePro magazine a graphic where they showed Mario, Sonic, and Crash as the mascots for each Company, from a top-side point of view, with a trail behind them (different color for each) as if simulating a race. Also, there were the Crash commercials of him dropping by Nintendo's HQ, shouting with a megaphone calling Mario out. The moment is perfect to make it happen.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

I mentioned Sophitia here.

But to give my cents on her, I'd say she's not as popular simply because people associate SoulCalibur with Nightmare, Sigfried, Mitsurigi, Ivy and Taki.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Doom Slayer would be pretty cool to have in Smash. As with all western characters though, how does he fare in Japan? Doom pioneered the FPS genre but I've always had the sense that the FPS genre as a whole isn't really that big in Japan especially when compared to the rest of the world.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that Sakurai has name-dropped John Romero as a legendary game developer and Doom as a game that revolutionized first person shooters so if nothing else, he's aware of it.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
For fun, of the characters that everyone seems to think are the most likely, which two would you want most?

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

For me - Crash and Doomslayer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Doom Slayer would be pretty cool to have in Smash. As with all western characters though, how does he fare in Japan? Doom pioneered the FPS genre but I've always had the sense that the FPS genre as a whole isn't really that big in Japan especially when compared to the rest of the world.
It's quite niche in Japan - they typically don't like games with a lot of blood/gore, but apparently there is a small but quite dedicated community for Doom in Japan. So, you could say an inverse of Dragon Quest's situation to some degree, lol.
Though in the past Sakurai has acknowledged Doom as an important game, which certainly means it's on his radar.

D

Deleted member

For fun, of the characters that everyone seems to think are the most likely, which two would you want most?

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

Honestly, you could make any combination and I would be happy. The only character from that list that I have no attachment is Crash, which is funny given he is one of the most notorious characters in the list, but I don't have anything against him.
It's quite niche in Japan - they typically don't like games with a lot of blood/gore, but apparently there is a small but quite dedicated community for Doom in Japan. So, you could say an inverse of Dragon Quest's situation to some degree, lol.
Though in the past Sakurai has acknowledged Doom as an important game, which certainly means it's on his radar.
The issue with Doom in Japan also has to do with the gameplay being quite fast and a lot of people suffering from motion sickness. I could only see Doomguy if there's another pick that is overly Japanese honestly.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Regarding my previous post, the more I think about it, the "female fighting game character" can only hold true for a few options. I doubt they would go for any character that isn't "the face" of a series - a protagonist. So far I think the only case in all of Smash history where this happened is Pikachu, and that's because despite not being a protagonist, he's still a mascot.

In face of that, only four really seem to make sense:

Morrigan would be... an interesting pick. But I don't know how much demand she has - both inside and outside the Smash community. I don't think her series being in limbo is a problem - we've danced to this song before - but the problem is how much people would want her.

Ruby Heart is even worse. Her series is technically Marvel Vs. Capcom - which raises a series of questions about how the hell a deal would even be possible, because Nintendo would need material from MvC to go along with her in the FP. I don't think it's happening.

Athena is interesting, because while she isn't the protagonist of the fighting game she appears in, she is the protagonist of her own series. That said, I severely doubt people are clamoring for Psycho Soldier to join Smash, of all things.

Sophitia is a bit of a stretch, but Soul Calibur is strange in the sense that even the fandom seems confused as to who is the protagonist of each game - and Sophitia seems to fit the bill for some. That said, while she has the best chance out of those four... I don't know if Sakurai would do it. He discarded Heihachi before because he was unable to think of a way to translate the 3D gameplay of Tekken to Smash in a faithful way, and the same problem would probably happen with Soul Calibur.

However, if the japanese leaker meant "a female character that appeared in a fighting game" instead of "a female fighting game character", that might open up new possibilities, like Jill, as some people have said. A Ayumi Tachibana , what is the possibility of this being the case? I don't understand japanese and the nuaces of it, so could you confirm that for us?

If the leaker really meant what was in that post, then... I'm at a loss, really. :roll:
The leaker only said "a female fighting game character". I don't see any implied contexts there.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa.

But Crash is great too, and Kos-Mos would be my top choice for

Also I’m all for Sophitia. I’ve name dropped her once or twice as my preferred choice from SC, although they’d probably go for Nightmare (And I’d still be alright with that).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, you could make any combination and I would be happy. The only character from that list that I have no attachment is Crash, which is funny given he is one of the most notorious characters in the list, but I don't have anything against him.

The issue with Doom in Japan also has to do with the gameplay being quite fast and a lot of people suffering from motion sickness. I could only see Doomguy if there's another pick that is overly Japanese honestly.
Ah, I forgot about that too. I do agree that we'd probably get another Japan-centric character if we were to get Doomguy as well.
He's an interesting scenario. There's both a lot going for and against him at the same time... as of now with the DQ heroes in I'd say he's my most wanted character now.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

Definitely Dante and Doomslayer.

There's something about killing demons guilt free that never goes out of style.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

This list needs Phoenix Wright. As much as I adore KOS-MOS I'd say he's more likely than she is.

This is a tough list. Personal bias wants Velvet Crowe and KOS-MOS. I love them both and I love their games. But more likely Doomslayer and Crash. Variety, fun, excitement.

D

Deleted member

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

From this list, Doomguy and Dante. Though if said Tales character was Yuri I'd then say it's a tie between him and Dante.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

First pick is a Tales rep (Lloyd specifically) and I honestly find equal appeal in Crash, Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, and an RE rep to where any of them are good second picks to me.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Regarding my previous post, the more I think about it, the "female fighting game character" can only hold true for a few options. I doubt they would go for any character that isn't "the face" of a series - a protagonist. So far I think the only case in all of Smash history where this happened is Pikachu, and that's because despite not being a protagonist, he's still a mascot.

In face of that, only four really seem to make sense:

Morrigan would be... an interesting pick. But I don't know how much demand she has - both inside and outside the Smash community. I don't think her series being in limbo is a problem - we've danced to this song before - but the problem is how much people would want her.

Ruby Heart is even worse. Her series is technically Marvel Vs. Capcom - which raises a series of questions about how the hell a deal would even be possible, because Nintendo would need material from MvC to go along with her in the FP. I don't think it's happening.

Athena is interesting, because while she isn't the protagonist of the fighting game she appears in, she is the protagonist of her own series. That said, I severely doubt people are clamoring for Psycho Soldier to join Smash, of all things.

Sophitia is a bit of a stretch, but Soul Calibur is strange in the sense that even the fandom seems confused as to who is the protagonist of each game - and Sophitia seems to fit the bill for some. That said, while she has the best chance out of those four... I don't know if Sakurai would do it. He discarded Heihachi before because he was unable to think of a way to translate the 3D gameplay of Tekken to Smash in a faithful way, and the same problem would probably happen with Soul Calibur.

However, if the japanese leaker meant "a female character that appeared in a fighting game" instead of "a female fighting game character", that might open up new possibilities, like Jill, as some people have said. A Ayumi Tachibana , what is the possibility of this being the case? I don't understand japanese and the nuaces of it, so could you confirm that for us?

If the leaker really meant what was in that post, then... I'm at a loss, really. :roll:
Not that it opens up many doors, but the only way that "a female character that appeared in a fighting game" would be an accurate statement for a character that has not originated from a fighting game would be if the "Super Smash Brothers Ultimate x (Game name)" is a fighting game itself. I'm in agreement with you. 98% of fighting games have a guy as the face of the franchise and would very likely be chosen over the lead female. There are only a couple exceptions, Skull Girls and Arcana Heart being a few of them and neither are very likely to be in Smash regardless. It's a very curious leak to say the least.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
As much as I think Ryu Hayabusa is the next character in line from the NES era, I don't think he'll make it in.

That's actually pretty cool, I can't think of any other reason why he would hint Nintendo fans that way.
Labo VR support for Skyrim Switch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom