• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
As much as I'm not a fan of Edelgard or any FE characters whatsoever, I'd be fine if that leak is real because Sylux has a ton of potential with shock coils, plus a cool design. That's the only leak still not dead as of right now to my knowledge, which is incredible considering Joker was NOT an easy prediction, especially coupled with Banjo, who many thought were "Never Ever" tier. I'd definitely also believe Sylux was cut due to MP4 being restarted, but would be sad that we missed an opportunity for Sylux

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sylux wouldn't be outright cut. He'd have been considered and discarded if MP4 being restarted was a factor.

They aren't going to start work on DLC for characters until they're sure it's worth it. That's a huge waste of time. They actually rarely have worked on characters during other developments as is. For one that are cut, there's going to be a few with very little done or those with barely a file name, maybe music, or a model. Some can go as far as a codename(for instance, the clone variation with ToonSheik) and that's it.

DLC is an entirely different factor. If Sylux had anything really done(beyond a codename and a bit of a bodyframe work, so basically very little), they'd just finish the character or even use him as an AT. There's too much time between games, so setting it up for another game is pretty unrealistic.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Joker was NOT an easy prediction
RelaxAlax and Alpharad would have to disagree as they both called it pretty early on. Also, Sakurai stealing UI from Persona and being a huge fan made it a bit more reasonable to believe Persona 5 would get a character.

I think it will be Phoenix and Doomguy.
Agree....
Banjo made it apparent that popularity is a big factor, which is why I find it strange that more are going for Resident Evil over the character that has actually taken up some high ballot spots. When looking at previous ballots, there were no Namco or Resident Evil characters, so Pheonix would seem the most likely in this instance.

As for Doom Slayer, I have said my piece on why Bethesda would get a rep.

I'm in the pessimistic mood and that (god I hope its fake) leak still holds, and from our experience with Smash 4, an end like that to the DLC lineup wouldn't be surprising at all.
Maybe not, clearly Smash U was in development alongside the DLC, so much of the DLC reused models which is why anime characters took up the bulk of DLC. That seems to be a nonissue this time.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Banjo made it apparent that popularity is a big factor, which is why I find it strange that more are going for Resident Evil over the character that has actually taken up some high ballot spots. When looking at previous ballots, there were no Namco or Resident Evil characters, so Pheonix would seem the most likely in this instance.
Could that be a case of vote splitting though? Quite a few franchises have one definable lead, whereas Resident Evil has Chris, Claire, Jill and Leon. I've seen all four names on ballots, obviously nowhere as high as some of the other requests. But I dont think Resident Evil is a slept on franchise, it's just its fans dont have a rallying point (as this thread has attested)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's less that RelaxAlax and the rest "called" it, it's more that the paltry Joker support base (of which I was a vocal part of) just felt his style and moveset were perfectly fitted for Smash and that his game was incredible. Combine that with Sakurai being inspired by it and you have a "this character who will never get in is the most Smash-ready character ever" sentiment. Support, yes, but no hope or true prediction. The last conversation in the Joker thread before his reveal was us talking to a troll who was telling us we were idiots for even thinking he'd get in with "yeah everyone here knows that, we aren't stupid".

Turns out we needed a little more faith.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Heres a crazy idea, if Bandai Namco get a second rep. What if they choose Sophitia from Soul Calibur?

Now before you start saying thats crazy, they would choose Nightmare over her. Sophitia has already been in a crossover with another company. She was in Warriors Orochi 3 which was made by Koei Tecmo, and she was the only Bandai Namco character in the game. While I don't think she's the most interesting character, she may have a shot.
I've actually been interested in Sophitia as a Soulcalibur rep as well, I even put her in my Dream Fighter Pass that I've made.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
RelaxAlax and Alpharad would have to disagree as they both called it pretty early on. Also, Sakurai stealing UI from Persona and being a huge fan made it a bit more reasonable to believe Persona 5 would get a character.

Two Smashtubers (no matter how big) wanting him in is hardly enough to call Joker an easy prediction, I think.

Popularity was always a factor in choosing characters for Smash. I believe Sakurai himself adresses this in a few interviews. It's no absolute guarantee, though.

And I dunno, several Namco characters usually get somewhat respectable positions in fan polls, mostly Heihachi, Lloyd and KOS-MOS. Of the Capcom characters, I think Phoenix is more wanted inside the Smash fanbase, but you could say the same for Arle regarding Sega characters, and look how that one turned out. At the same time, fan support was apparently a huge deal in Banjo's favor.

I think character picks come from a combination of factors and nothing is really set in stone. It's why, even though my support goes for Phoenix, I could see it going either way, depending on what Sakurai, Nintendo and Capcom would want.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Could that be a case of vote splitting though? Quite a few franchises have one definable lead, whereas Resident Evil has Chris, Claire, Jill and Leon. I've seen all four names on ballots, obviously nowhere as high as some of the other requests. But I dont think Resident Evil is a slept on franchise, it's just its fans dont have a rallying point (as this thread has attested)
I know, it’s weird. I admit, maybe Google images aren’t the best, I just used them as many had the huge pie charts of all their totals. When searching though, Resident Evil never came up a single time. Other big franchises didn’t either though as Tales was not present at all, Shovel Knight was barely seen, etc..

I already posted about what I found, but it seems to me that when combining a bunch of pie charts...

Sora is the most popular character left...
Jibanyan and Puyo Puyo’s Arle are huge characters that many on this thread are sleeping on...
Pheonix Wright is the most popular Capcom character being the only one to appear on lists...
There was never any Namco reps shown to make the list, even in the 15-20 range...
Modern popularity spikes include Crash, Doom Slayer, Steve, Sans, Dante, and even Master Chief...
YouTubers were fearing Freddy as he was a popular choice in 2015...

I want to look at more, but so far these have been my results.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know, it’s weird. I admit, maybe Google images aren’t the best, I just used them as many had the huge pie charts of all their totals. When searching though, Resident Evil never came up a single time. Other big franchises didn’t either though as Tales was not present at all, Shovel Knight was barely seen, etc..

I already posted about what I found, but it seems to me that when combining a bunch of pie charts...

Jibanyan and Puyo Puyo’s Arle are huge characters that many on this thread are sleeping on...
Pheonix Wright is the most popular Capcom character being the only one to appear on lists...
There was never any Namco reps shown to make the list, even in the 15-20 range...
Modern popularity spikes include Crash, Doom Slayer, Steve, Sans, Dante, and even Master Chief...

You cleared your cookies before doing these searches, right?

Mainly to get accurate results and all.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

I've played around with a few lists, but I've been wanting to do something comprehensive for a while. Take a load of ballots from a wide array of sources and locations and aggregate them all. Obviously want stuff with high sample sizes, but since I literally do data analysis for a living we might be able to find *something* out from it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Despite revisionism, Joker was not a widely held prediction.

There's also a big difference between wanting something to happen and expecting it will. I suspect Joker supporters primarily landed in the former camp.

If the only qualification for being expected was that someone predicted you, basically only WFT and PP would be "surprise" picks.

Agree....

As for Doom Slayer, I have said my piece on why Bethesda would get a rep.
Popularity is a big factor, but that popularity need not come exclusively from the Smash camp. In fact, if you look at all the third-parties that have been DLC, most were outclassed by other third-parties, Smash popularity-wise. Many hold a more general, gaming-wide popularity, which obviously has been and will continue to be a factor. While the fanbase gets served with one hand, the other tries to beckon new players closer.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So people were digging up this guy's tweets and found this.
It's the same guy I brought up before that keep on saying a female fighting game character is coming as DLC.

ら〜a.k.a.Milk-BOSATU@おうち太鼓持ち
‏ @niconico_test_1
未来人なら予言してみろと言われそうなので言います
ニンテンドースイッチVRが発売されます。
馬鹿なので発売日は覚えてません。
スマブラ(NS)にドラクエの主人公(女除く)と格ゲーのキャラ(覚えてない)が追加
震災とかは大きいのは(M9以上)はあまり来ません。
しかし貴方は信じない
何故??
1:30 - 2018年10月11日
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1050302553118859265

I think people gonna say if I'm from future then show some prophecies so I will.
Nintendo Switch VR will be released.
I'm stupid I don't remember the release date.
Dragon Quest Heroes (without females) and fighting game character (forgot who) will be added in Smash Bros. (NS)
Not many earthquakes bigger than M9.
But you won't believe me.
Why?
1:30 - 11th October 2018
I believe this is before Vergeben's 7SE lists come out.
What's interesting here is that this leaker was specifically saying that there will be no female alts for DQ Heroes.
I think no other leakers were saying that.
Fighting game character part was could be mentioning Ken but later he's saying "a female fighting game character for DLC".
Switch VR thing is kind of correct. But this was guessable.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
It's the same guy I brought up before that keep on saying a female fighting game character is coming as DLC.

What's interesting here is that this leaker was specifically saying that there will be no female alts for DQ Heroes.
Fighting game character part was could be mentioning Ken but later he's saying "a female fighting game character for DLC".

What do you guys think?
There has been a Morrigan rumour floating around. It felt kind of ****posty though. (Was Erdrick, Morrigan, Banjo and Doomguy)

Interestingly enough, the costume theory actually supports a fighting game character.
Jacky and Akira aren't a part of the Joker pack.
Ryu's fighter pack contained a bunch of fighting game characters (like Jacky and Akira), not Capcom characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What do you guys think?
A female fighting game character you say?

and here I questioned if Sophitia would be too revealing for Smash. Although, there still are other candidates that could fit that category.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

What do you guys think?
Can you post where he says there's a female fighting game character coming? Because this just says a fighting game character.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Can you post where he says there's a female fighting game character coming? Because this just says a fighting game character.
I think I brought them up before but these leaks are currently hot in Japan.
These leaks got some things right but not that super big to make them credible enough yet imo. The first two are from the same person but the last one is not.

スマブラSPの製作現場見たリア友がいて、
DLCキャラまだ作ってないっていうのは嘘みたいだって。
よく聞いてないけどしずえさん予言してたから信憑性ある
その友が言うには鳥山明デザインのキャラと女性の格ゲーキャラ?らしい。
とりあえずどうでも良いからネプテューヌ来い
19:58 - 2018年12月14日
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1073789370606354432?s=19

I have a friend irl saw the development of Smash Ultimate, and he said that they're not making DLC yet statement was a lie.
I wasn't listening to him well but he predicted Isabelle so he has credibility.
He said Akira Toriyama art style character(s) and a female fighting game character? are coming.
I don't really care about them just give me Neptune.
19:58 - 14th December 2018

そういえばスマブラリーク「brave」、
リークじゃない説が自分の中にあるよ。
リークじゃなく、本当のこと。
ニンテンドーと親しい友によるとドラクエ主人公と女性格ゲーキャラは
ほぼ確実に確定してる。
ニンテンドーと親しい人の話も聞いてないくせにリーク作るのはちょっとね…
いけない(何様だよ)
1:48 - 2019年4月22日
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1120248092148686849?s=19

By the way, that Smash leak "brave", I have a theory that it's not actually a leak.
It's not a leak, it's the truth. (I think he is using the word leak as false rumor.)
My friend who's close to Nintendo is saying that Dragon Quest hero and a female fighting game character defenitely exist.
Without listening from someone close to Nintendo and making leaks is a little...
Not good (who do I think I am).
1:48 - 22nd April 2019

58 番組の途中ですがアフィサイトへの転載は禁止です (ドコグロ MM71-G+PC) sage 2019/04/27(土) 14:00:15.18 ID:bGOXrRH0M
狭い界隈だけど東方のZUNさんにあってお話したわ
PS4とSwitchに格ゲーの方移植とスマブラにゴニョゴニョ…みたいな話聞いちゃった
https://leia.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/poverty/1556340765/58

It's a small circle of communities that I'm in though but I met and talked with ZUN of Touhou.
And I heard stories like a fighting game port coming to PS4 and Switch and something Smash is mumble mumble...
14:00 - 27th April 2019

DQ Heroes and AoCF Switch port became true but the first could be just piggybacking and latter might be just a lucky guess.
Reimu is technically a fighting game character as well but I don't think it's the case though. But the third leak could be just talking something similar to the rumored Minecraft content treatment. Maybe spirits or Mii costumes.
Here.
Edit: Quote didn't work. Fixed it.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we do get a fighting game character, it's probably Heihachi. Sakurai considered adding him before, but wasn't able to figure out how to implement him at the time (for Smash 4), and Bandai Namco is probably getting a DLC character.

Although Nina Williams would be amazing.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's a shame Spirits seem to be a big deconfirm in my eyes because you could stretch that to be Tron Bonne or Chun-Li, two characters I'd be overjoyed to have in Smash.

Reimu? Female SNK character like Mai, Nakoruru, or Athena? or King . Or going bolder, Anna or Nina Williams from Tekken or even someone crazy like Alisa Boskonovitch?

Jill Valentine was in a fighter already too...

Fascinating...

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
You cleared your cookies before doing these searches, right?

Mainly to get accurate results and all.
I just kinda looked through images, I mentioned that in both my searches. I was bored and at the air port, so I looked at various charts.

It’s not perfect, but maybe it can work as a base + it does bring up some previously unmentioned characters...

There's also a big difference between wanting something to happen and expecting it will. I suspect Joker supporters primarily landed in the former camp.
Relax Alax did actually predict Joker though, he wasn’t just a want. He brought up tons of evidence for him in one video and then made a “told you so...” video after the reveal. This is why I don’t think Joker was as crazy as most believed. We had tons of reasoning from Sakurai’s interests to the literal design of Smash’s menus and the red, white, and black vibrant colors that highlight most of Smash. This title was big on copying Persona’s design and aesthetic, so it really wasn’t much of a stretch to believe Persona, a potential Game Awards winner, would be included in Smash eventually.

I've played around with a few lists, but I've been wanting to do something comprehensive for a while. Take a load of ballots from a wide array of sources and locations and aggregate them all. Obviously want stuff with high sample sizes, but since I literally do data analysis for a living we might be able to find *something* out from it.
Let’s do it then!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The more I think about it, the more sense Mai Shiranui makes. Leaks or no, SNK has constantly been considered an underdog with massive potential to be added to Smash, and if it's not going to be Terry the next most popular KOF character has got to be Mai. True, you have outliers like Nakoruru and Marco, but still. Plus, there have been several outfits for Mai that aren't too revealing for Smash, so I don't think that should even be considered.

She's worth considering.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
There is that Sylux, FE three houses rep (forgot which one it was) one that is still standing as far as I'm aware but that's more or less it.

Any other insiders that predicted the DLC correctly so far haven't revealed or hinted the identity of character 4 and 5 though as far as I'm aware.

There is also Vergeben who apparently still stands by that minecraft content is coming, but its that, content, not necessarily character specifically, so it could also be a Spirit or Mii costume or something I suppose...
For weirdly absent spirits that could potentially be fighters in DLC, there's a couple besides Sylux and Eldegarde, namely the well known Porky, Poochy, and Adeline, but (I'm almost certainly looking too far into things) the President from Pikmin, an important plot character and playable character at one point, is also weirdly absent, in addition to several notable Pikmin spirits (final boss from Pikmin 2, infamous enemy from Pikmin heavily linked to the final boss of the third game, almost all representation from Hey! Pikmin, etc).

I know for sure dear ol Sacho here is certainly not going to be DLC, but it is a possibility they could have something cool for him in the (reportedly) upcoming Pikmin 4, which was stated to be "nearly complete" at the time the DLC for this game was likely decided. A friend of mine proposed a moveset where he used the various treasures and other mechanical tidbits from the games for his moveset, tho fanon has little impact on the game itself.

Again, I highly doubt this links to what the next DLC is, but Pikmin should not be discounted as a possibility if we are to consider weirdly absent spirits with ties to upcoming games.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I hope we get some Microsoft costumes alongside Banjo in the autumn. I think a Minecraft one is likely based on Verge’s insistence on Minecraft content, but I also hope we see the Chief.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

What do you guys think?
Hmm......interesting. Well if it were a female fighting game characters:

CAPCOM: Street Fighter does have a lot of different female characters in which it had already established the likes of Chun-Li, Cammy, Sakura, Rose, Karin, Ibuki, Juri, Laura atc. But if they were to pick a female character from the Street Fighter franchise, it would most likely to be Chun-Li since she is one of the popular female characters within fighting games. Of course its not just Street Fighter that Capcom had worked upon on, they do have other dormant franchises such as Darkstalkers in which it featured the likes Morrigan Aensland, Felicia, Hsien-Ko, B.B. Hood etc, although I feel that their chances of being in Smash maybe slim at best.

Bandai Namco: Tekken had also established a number of female characters within their fighting games which include the likes of Nina Williams, Ling Xiaoyu, Lili Rochefort, Alisa Bosconovitch etc as well as SoulCalibur which had Sophitia Alexandria, Taki, Seong Mi-Na, Xianghua etc. It is quite difficult to pick one, but if there were someone to choose from the two franchises, it would be between Nina Williams and Sophitia Alexandria.

SNK: SNK had developed a lot of different fighting games in the past which include King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown etc. Based upon the Famitsu fan poll on the top 10 SNK characters of all time, Nakoruru (3rd), Mai Shiranui (4th), Athena Asamiya (8th) and Yuri Sakazaki (10th) are the four female characters that had featured within the poll. Personally I think Nakoruru would be my personal pick.

SEGA: The Virtua Fighter series is what comes to mind in terms of fighting games. It would be between Sarah Bryant or Pai Chan if they were to pick someone from the franchise.

Arcsys Works: This would be between someone from Guilty Gear or Blazblue. Although I can't exactly say on the chances of a female character being picked from either franchises.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
If really are getting a female fighting game character I'd bet on Athena Asamiya from KOF, who is sort of an unofficial SNK mascot, a company that has a good relationship with Nintendo and is yet to be featured in Smash.

Chun-li is a long shot as a third Street Fighter rep, and Capcom's other fighting game properties would not be given priority over IPs like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter.

Sophitia from SoulCalibur might be it, but I'd be surprised to see SoulCalibur get in over Tekken.

From SNK, we could get Mai Shiranui or Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown instead, but Mai might be "too" sexy, and Nakoruru not recognizable enough.

Finally there's Mortal Kombat and ArcSys properties, but I see those as reeaally unliklely.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

What do you guys think?
Interesting... the first few ones that come to mind are Sophitia and Nakoruru. The latter is very popular, even if she's technically not the protagonist of SamSho, I think.

There's Morrigan, but Darkstalkers doesn't seem to get many requests. I'm not familiar with DoA, but didn't the director of that series say something about which characters he'd want for Smash?

Mai... I can't see her being picked over Kyo or Iori, personally, but maybe she has just enough star power? Same for Blazblue and Guilty Gear characters like Noel or Dizzy.

Heihachi or Kazuya are obvious choices for Tekken instead of Xiaoyu. Same regarding Scorpion or Subzero for MK.

Maybe Athena Asamiya, since she originated from another game, like Terry? Though I can't see her being a "head-turner" like the rest of the DLC so far.

It would be crazy if it was Ruby Heart. She technically is exclusive from Marvel vs Capcom (the first part of the title is what makes me doubt her chances), but would blindside everyone for sure.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Interesting... the first few ones that come to mind are Sophitia and Nakoruru. The latter is very popular, even if she's technically not the protagonist of SamSho, I think.

There's Morrigan, but Darkstalkers doesn't seem to get many requests. I'm not familiar with DoA, but didn't the director of that series say something about which characters he'd want for Smash?

Mai... I can't see her being picked over Kyo or Iori, personally, but maybe she has just enough star power? Same for Blazblue and Guilty Gear characters like Noel or Dizzy.

Heihachi or Kazuya are obvious choices for Tekken instead of Xiaoyu. Same regarding Scorpion or Subzero for MK.

Maybe Athena Asamiya, since she originated from another game, like Terry? Though I can't see her being a "head-turner" like the rest of the DLC so far.

It would be crazy if it was Ruby Heart. She technically is exclusive from Marvel vs Capcom (the first part of the title is what makes me doubt her chances), but would blindside everyone for sure.
If this is how Ruby Heart returns I would lose my mind. I always felt she needed her own game or series; she's too awesome.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If only Capcom were working on a new Darsktalkers game, then I would say she will possibly gain more recognition.

If they were to pick a female character from the DoA series, I would go with either Kasumi, Ayane, Marie Rose or Honoka.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Sylux wouldn't be outright cut. He'd have been considered and discarded if MP4 being restarted was a factor.

They aren't going to start work on DLC for characters until they're sure it's worth it. That's a huge waste of time. They actually rarely have worked on characters during other developments as is. For one that are cut, there's going to be a few with very little done or those with barely a file name, maybe music, or a model. Some can go as far as a codename(for instance, the clone variation with ToonSheik) and that's it.

DLC is an entirely different factor. If Sylux had anything really done(beyond a codename and a bit of a bodyframe work, so basically very little), they'd just finish the character or even use him as an AT. There's too much time between games, so setting it up for another game is pretty unrealistic.
Assuming Sylux was chosen as a DLC character right before/after launch, they hadn't started working on him yet. Only the first three (Joker, Hero and Banjo). So discarding him and choosing another fighter likely wouldn't lose them a lot of time, BUT it seems to me like there has been a small delay in the release schedule if we don't get the Hero this month. The game's amiibo schedule also backs this up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there is a fighting game character it'll be Heihachi, Scorpion, or someone from SNK.

The female part makes me think it's fake, because aside from Chun-Li (who is from an established franchise) all of the main characters for the new potential franchises are dudes. Maybe Sophitia could rep Soulcalibur but I don't think Soulcalibur has a shot. Anyone thinking Morrigan's likely is deluded.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
If there is a fighting game character it'll be Heihachi, Scorpion, or someone from SNK.
Only SNK imo, Heihachi was killed off in Tekken due to his VA passing I believe and I think they would respect that plus Mortal Kombat doesn't even release in Japan iirc.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

The female part makes me think it's fake, because aside from Chun-Li (who is from an established franchise) all of the main characters for the new potential franchises are dudes. Maybe Sophitia could rep Soulcalibur but I don't think Soulcalibur has a shot. Anyone thinking Morrigan's likely is deluded.
This was my conclusion too, with the only one even touching Chunners being Mai from KOF. She has several variants on her iconic outfit that wouldn't be too revealing for the game and she's as recognizable as Terry for SNK. But I really feel like it's an outside choice and a strange one at that - how would one know it was a female fighting game character but not which one?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Only SNK imo, Heihachi was killed off in Tekken due to his VA passing I believe and I think they would respect that plus Mortal Kombat doesn't even release in Japan iirc.
Tekken 7 was released over a year before Heihachi's second voice actor (Unsho Ishizuka) passed away, and they kept using him after the passing of Daisuke Gouri, his original voice actor.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tekken 7 was released over a year before Heihachi's second voice actor (Unsho Ishizuka) passed away, and they kept using him after the passing of Daisuke Gouri, his original voice actor.
Heihachi might be retired permanently like Roy Campbell was. It's also hard to bring him back in Tekken because he is dead.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think that's as definitive as most people. Heihachi's VA has passed before, and Heihachi himself has been killed before.

Plus Dark Samus shows that it doesn't really matter if a character is dead. Heihachi is still one of the most iconic fighting game characters.
This was my conclusion too, with the only one even touching Chunners being Mai from KOF. She has several variants on her iconic outfit that wouldn't be too revealing for the game and she's as recognizable as Terry for SNK. But I really feel like it's an outside choice and a strange one at that - how would one know it was a female fighting game character but not which one?
Yeah, but I struggle to believe Mai would be considered. I don't think they would go with anyone that isn't Terry. So I would be surprised if she was chosen.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Whether it's Heihachi or Jin, I think Tekken is the likeliest fighting game property to make it in as DLC. It's the biggest fighting game franchise not yet represented, and Bandai-Namco already has a character in. I don't think SoulCalibur would ever take precedent over it.

The curveball would be to tap SNK instead of Namco for DLC, in which case there are reasonable arguments to be made for Terry, Kyo, Iori, Mai, Athena, Haohmaru or Nakoruru. SNK is such an underdog that any of their picks would generate some shrugs anyway.

ArcSys is too niche and not close enough to Nintendo to compete, and Netherrealms is out of the question, considering Mortal Kombat is largely banned in Japan. Other possibilities would be Tecmo's Dead or Alive series (unlikely due to reputation and losing to Ninja Gaiden), and Reverge's Skullgirls (unlikely on account of being indie).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I don't think that's as definitive as most people. Heihachi's VA has passed before, and Heihachi himself has been killed before.

Plus Dark Samus shows that it doesn't really matter if a character is dead. Heihachi is still one of the most iconic fighting game characters.
Thing is, they are officially retiring him now after Tekken 7. Maybe if he is back in Tekken 8 I could see it but idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom