• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Vrbtm is not on this thread anymore. Please do not reply to the user, as they cannot reply. No need to send extra alerts.
I don't think anyone quoted or mentioned them in the last half an hour? Am I missing something?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think anyone quoted or mentioned them in the last half an hour? Am I missing something?
I had removed a post, so yeah, somebody did.

Either way, the mod reminder is good to have. ...I wish it wasn't on the last page, but thank you for quoting me to put it on the new page.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
If only you hadn't used the example of Wolverine as the "overly violent" character given how in all his other movies he's more toned down than Logan.

So thanks for helping prove how characters can get both toned up and toned down I guess.
Not the point I was trying to make here, but okay? I was saying implying that Ridley and Doomguy are as violent as each other doesn't ring true for me. Ridley has never crushed someone's head and left a pool of blood on the floor for the rest of the fight. You can watch the cutscenes for Other M, none of them are as violent as Doom.

I'm not arguing against violent characters. Dante, Leon Kennedy, Lara Croft, Ezio Auditore. All violent characters who could easily make it into Smash and would be more than welcome.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
But if that was true, then characters such as Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Isaac etc. would have been front runners for base roster or DLC. They were randomly deconfirmed with ease instead. I think there is something more than just catering long requests.
They probably weren’t as requested as we thought or didn’t make the cut due to a limited roster. Obviously Castlevania passed under the radar for many. Ashley was also never on any ballots and was only majorly popular leading up to the Belmonts. There is also the fact that DLC seems to be 3rd party so no Nintendo characters would have made it anyway. I think these factors put a limit on these characters.

And even some Nintendo icons are still left out, such as Dixie Kong, Toad and the rest of the Star Fox crew. I'm sure that there is some more complex criteria behind.
Ehhh... I can see Dixie being an icon, but the Star Fox crew isn’t major enough for playability as for one, Star Fox is pretty middle rode in popularity, and two what move set could be given to Peppy or Slippy.

Toad is also sort of a weird situation as he really isn’t a major character outside of the Captain, who is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. If Sakurai doesn’t see Bandana Boi as a big enough character, than I doubt Toad would be.

Also no matter how much people make it seems logical that Joker was going to be a DLC in retrospective; before the announcement, nobody would have guessed that he was coming to Smash for real. Nor Piranha Plant.
Both RelaxAlax and Alpharad predicted Joker, and Sakurai’s gushing of the game and stealing of UI for Smash made it apparent that Joker had a big chance. His only problem was the Sony exclusivity.

Also to reiterate, the Plant was a joke fighter and was the only one to break the pattern outside of Ken being historically relevant. Every Smash title has their own joke fighter from Game & Watch to Duck Hunt.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ban all the interesting users why don't you.

Things aren't as fun when everyone is rational.

D

Deleted member

My hopes are pretty much anyone at this point. Im satisfied with the DLC after Joker and the Heroes, and while not a fan of BK the new takes on them are quite good. So Im open on anyone at this point although female picks would be nice, echoes or newcomers alike.

D

Deleted member

Maybe they could pick one of the more original characters instead of the ones based on historical figures then?
I wouldn't really count on it, but I would imagine if they did, it'd be Kunoichi from Samurai Warriors as she was in the first Samurai Warriors game.
Yes, the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors series are based on and use the names of historical and legendary figures. I know we don’t have many rules for inclusion left but originating from a video game is still in play, which elimates any of those characters.
The Warriors Orochi games do have “original” characters, but these are based primarily on Japanese and Chinese folktales/myths, so they would be a grey area.
I don't think the interpretation of historical characters would be counted out of Smash because of their real life counterparts existing at some point in time. Unless there happens to be a complicated licensing process for the rights to use historical figures and events (which I don't think there are), Koei-Tecmo's take on Nobunaga Oda is as much of a video game character as any other.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I could be wrong but given the way how Banjo-Kazooie got reveal I believe that we will get a new foe for one of Nintendo series, AND MY BET ARE EITHER ON BLACK SHADOW OR DEATHBORN !

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So with all the rumours that they were working on Fighters #1-3 at the same time. Do we think they've even started work on #4-5 yet? I'm sure the deals are in place. But could we see something similar to the update that caused the game to crash if people played as Piranha, Mii Gunner and Duck Hunt Duo when they do start work in earnest?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So with all the rumours that they were working on Fighters #1-3 at the same time. Do we think they've even started work on #4-5 yet? I'm sure the deals are in place. But could we see something similar to the update that caused the game to crash if people played as Piranha, Mii Gunner and Duck Hunt Duo when they do start work in earnest?
I think they should have at least started work (or at least planning) on character 4 by now. Especially after Joker and Piranha Plant came out...

D

Deleted member

My hopes are now on Crash Bandicoot.

He’s the only one left for me now.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
So some questions to y'all. Who do you guys think are the final two DLC characters to be revealed and why? I'm thinking Lloyd Irving and an Resident Evil rep (Either Jill or Leon).

How does Banjo's reveal affect Steve's and Master Chief's chances getting into Smash now?

How does Hero's reveal affect any other Square Enix rep's chances now?

Still any hope or chances for them?

Do you all agree that regardless of whoever is next that no one at this point is gonna top Banjo who is probably the biggest reveal that even:ultkrool:and:ultridley:doesn't match?

I'm genuinely curious is all.
I think they final two characters will come from Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo.

Bandai Namco is the really odd company in this DLC so far. They helped make Smash Ultimate and so far they only have Pac-Man and not even a Mrs Pac-Man costume. It would be really shocking to see if this DLC came and went without a second Bandai Namco reveal. If I had to guess it’s either going to be Jin from Tekken or Lloyd from Tales.

Also Koei Tecmo already has an assist trophy is Smash Ultimate. And they are mentioned in the end credits. Due to the relationship Koei Tecmo has with Nintendo and how iconic Ryu Hayabusa is from the NES era. I think this is a safe bet, but who know.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think they final two characters will come from Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo.

Bandai Namco is the really odd company in this DLC so far. They helped make Smash Ultimate and so far they only have Pac-Man and not even a Mrs Pac-Man costume. It would be really shocking to see if this DLC came and went without a second Bandai Namco reveal. If I had to guess it’s either going to be Jin from Tekken or Lloyd from Tales.

Also Koei Tecmo already has an assist trophy is Smash Ultimate. And they are mentioned in the end credits. Also due to the relationship with Nintendo and how iconic Ryu Hayabusa is from the NES era. I think this is a safe bet, but who know.
I think Heihachi is more likely than Jin since he was already considered for Smash 4 and is the one that shows up in crossovers.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I think Heihachi is more likely than Jin since he was already considered for Smash 4 and is the one that shows up in crossovers.
Agree I just thought Namco might choose Jin over Heihachi due to several reasons. 1) Namco are starting to push Jin as the new face of Tekken after the story events of Tekken 7(kind of like they did with Tekken 3). 2) Jin might be easier to make moves for since he has his Devil Jin transformation and can use projectiles and can fly.

This is just my thoughts on it though, if they can find a way to make Heihachi work I’m all for it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus - Very interesting insight.

The character most people talk about is Ryu Hayabusa. With Dragon Quest being in, Ninja Gaiden is arguably the last remaining NES-era icon not already in Smash. Personally, I don't know the possibility of other Tecmo characters, as all speculation seems to center around Hayabusa. The only thing in his way is the fact that he's... well, a retro character. I don't know how willing Nintendo will be to pursue another one after Banjo.
I would also consider Dead or Alive characters as a possibility even though Ryu Hayabusa is a strong candidate to represent Koei Tecmo.

SNK: Seriously, why are you guys sleeping on SNK? They might have lost power compared to the arcade era, but their games are still nothing to scoff at. Along with Level-5, they're the last notable japanese company without any sort of content in Ultimate.

The most obvious rep would be Terry, representing both Fatal Fury and KOF, in a way. There's also Samurai Shodown to take into account. All in all, when it comes to fighting game characters, SNK is toe to toe with Bamco regarding Smash DLC.
SNK are a company thats been putting themselves back on the radar ever since they launched King of Fighters XIV. In addition, they also had some of their characters appeared as guests in different fighting games which include the likes of Geese Howard, Mai Shiranui, Kula Diamond, Terry Bogard and Iori Yagami. My choices of representation would be between King of Fighter's Kyo Kusanagi, Fatal Fury's Terry Bogard or Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru.

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I'm still holding out hope for Artorias but I'm very happy they managed to pick a DQ protag(s) and make them stand out. I'll gladly take that L regarding my "how do you make Erdrick stand out" argument. ALSO OH MY GOD BANJO IS IN OH MY GOOOOOOOD
Aside from Artorias I think Rayman could be next, or Doomguy even. Doomguy would be a great ending for this DLC the same way Bayo was for 4, so hopefully he's in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jin would be a solid choice for Tekken. I don't really have much to add to that. I'm not so sure about Lloyd as I've never played a Tales game before.
However, I think Nightmare would be the 1 chosen to be in the Fighter Pass. His overall design is wicked, and with him being the main villain of Soulcalibur, putting him in the DLC would make a great contrast to all the heroic characters already in the Fighter Pass (cause Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, and hopefully Ryu Hayabusa are all the main protagonists of their respective series).

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Jin would be a solid choice for Tekken. I don't really have much to add to that. I'm not so sure about Lloyd as I've never played a Tales game before.
However, I think Nightmare would be the 1 chosen to be in the Fighter Pass. His overall design is wicked, and with him being the main villain of Soulcalibur, putting him in the DLC would make a great contrast to all the heroic characters already in the Fighter Pass (cause Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, and hopefully Ryu Hayabusa are all the main protagonists of their respective series).
I would be down for Nightmare and hopefully he comes with a Siegfried costume. The tricky part will be his sword as that thing is massive. Not to mention Nightmare is a very slow and heavy character. So that might be a problem or not, I would love to see some Soul Calibur music in Smash though!

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, Heihachi isn't exactly a hero either.

D

Deleted member

Here are the reasons why I find Crash Bandicoot highly likely right now:

>Activision wants him in
>Popular both in the West and Japan
>Currently a flagship Activision property due to how great it sells
>Has a good chunk of cool titles on Nintendo systems
>Returned forever around 2017 (same year DQXI released)
>West picks are now highly likely
>Nintendo considers Crash an icon
>The current relationship between Activision and Nintendo is wonderful
>He and Spyro are getting all of their new games on Switch
>Moveset potential
>Cool music to bring in
>Stage potential like the Time Twister from Warped
>Crash vs Sonic vs Mario

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Here are the reasons why I find Crash Bandicoot highly likely right now:

>Activision wants him in
>Popular both in the West and Japan
>Currently a flagship Activision property due to how great it sells
>Has a good chunk of cool titles on Nintendo systems
>Returned forever around 2017 (same year DQXI released)
>West picks are now highly likely
>Nintendo considers Crash an icon
>The current relationship between Activision and Nintendo is wonderful
>He and Spyro are getting all of their new games on Switch
>Moveset potential
>Cool music to bring in
>Stage potential like the Time Twister from Warped
>Crash vs Sonic vs Mario
I saw you mention cool music Crash would bring in Smash and thought you might like this. Here’s a fan made remix for Crash in Smash.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
On a Tekken rep - Even though there are other viable characters who could be considered for Smash, I would predict that between Heihachi or Jin would be my ideal Tekken rep.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Thank you dezeray112 dezeray112 ! Took a while to compile all of that.

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus - Very interesting insight.

I would also consider Dead or Alive characters as a possibility even though Ryu Hayabusa is a strong candidate to represent Koei Tecmo.
Well, Hayabusa is kind of a regular in DOA, isn't he? I feel his situation is similar to Terry's in that regard.

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus
SNK are a company thats been putting themselves back on the radar ever since they launched King of Fighters XIV. In addition, they also had some of their characters appeared as guests in different fighting games which include the likes of Geese Howard, Mai Shiranui, Kula Diamond, Terry Bogard and Iori Yagami. My choices of representation would be between King of Fighter's Kyo Kusanagi, Fatal Fury's Terry Bogard or Samurai Shodown's Nakoruru.
Yeah, SNK remained popular over here in South America even during their hiatus. I hear they're very popular in China, too. It would be an interesting way of tapping into those markets.

And yeah, people have been talking about Nakoruru a lot. I thought Haohmaru was the protagonist, though? Come to think of it, SamSho is the only fighting game franchise from SNK that hasn't crossed over with anything recently, right?

Besides their fighting games, all I can think of from SNK is Metal Slug. I don't think they would go for MS though. I feel like if SNK has to get one character, it would be a fighting game character, because ultimately that's what SNK is known best for.

StormC

Smash Hero
In a post-Banjo world, Crash is one of the few reveals that I think would be earthshattering. It'd be great if they pulled it off somehow.

D

Deleted member

I would be down for Nightmare and hopefully he comes with a Siegfried costume. The tricky part will be his sword as that thing is massive. Not to mention Nightmare is a very slow and heavy character. So that might be a problem or not, I would love to see some Soul Calibur music in Smash though!
Yeah that sword would probably give him the widest idle pose out of the entire Smash cast. As far as Nightmare being slow and heavy, I don't think that's a problem; in fact, I think it'll make him stand out even more as potentially the heaviest DLC Fighter in the FP.

I mean, Heihachi isn't exactly a hero either.
With Heihachi's Japanese VA passing away a year ago, I'm not as certain with him as I am with Nightmare (plus I also like Nightmare more so yeah). They could use older voiceclips for Heihachi from previous games, but I don't think it's practical enough to make it work. Otherwise, they could always go and recast him.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Hey! Idk about release schedules and stuff, so I'm not gonna predict anything there, but I thought I'd chime in with some quick predictions for the last two Fighter Pass characters. I think they'll be two of these characters:

An Activision rep (Crash, Spyro or Tracer), Doom Slayer, a Capcom rep (either Leon or Monster Hunter), a Dark Souls rep or Sans to represent indies.

I also believe there will be a second Fighter Pass, though I have literally no idea who they'll go with for that. Will it be another third-parties only thing, or will more Nintendo characters join the fray? It's really anyone's guess, but either way, I can't wait to see the rest of what's in store for Smash DLC.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Yeah that sword would probably give him the widest idle pose out of the entire Smash cast. As far as Nightmare being slow and heavy, I don't think that's a problem; in fact, I think it'll make him stand out even more as potentially the heaviest DLC Fighter in the FP.

With Heihachi's Japanese VA passing away a year ago, I'm not as certain with him as I am with Nightmare (plus I also like Nightmare more so yeah). They could use older voiceclips for Heihachi from previous games, but I don't think it's practical enough to make it work. Otherwise, they could always go and recast him.

Hmmm heaviest fighter does sound intriguing. If they can pull him off right, it would be great. Not to mention he would be our first 3rd party DLC that isn’t a hero.

That being said let’s not forget Jin isn’t really a hero either unlike his fighting game rival Ryu. In Tekken 6 Jin literally plunged the entire world into all out war. So he technically would also be a villain if they put him in Smash.

Jin, Lloyd, Nightmare I’m fine with any to be honest, though my Ultimate preference would be Jin.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, there are very few things that could top the DLC we have so far. Considering what I've said before about company and genre variety... the only reveals that could make the internet implode more than Joker and Banjo would be Doomguy, a Dark souls rep or Crash, arguably Resident Evil or Assassin's Creed?

Or Gordon Freeman. We'd see people suplexing their PCs if that happened. I don't think it will though, Half-Life isn't popular in Japan at all.

That said... Nintendo isn't exactly known for saving the best for last.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Under the assumption that we're only getting one rep per company, I think the most likely newcomers are:

Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Doom Slayer, Heihachi Mishima, Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy, and Ryu Hayabusa.

Man, I'd love to put Gordon Freeman on that list. Too bad. :(

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
And yeah, people have been talking about Nakoruru a lot. I thought Haohmaru was the protagonist, though? Come to think of it, SamSho is the only fighting game franchise from SNK that hasn't crossed over with anything recently, right?
On the bolded - That is correct from what I've seen so far.

Nakoruru is one of the popular characters amongst SNK fans.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/here-are-the-ten-most-popular-snk-characters/

Besides their fighting games, all I can think of from SNK is Metal Slug. I don't think they would go for MS though. I feel like if SNK has to get one character, it would be a fighting game character, because ultimately that's what SNK is known best for.
Well, the other SNK franchises that I heard of were Last Blade and World Heroes (although I don't think many will be familiar with their franchises.) Also I do agree with the bolded.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I personally want PaRappa, but Sony doesn't exactly like playing with others. Plus, there's that whole thing with Dred Foxx, and yeah. It's just not looking likely. I already got Robin back in Smash 4, so I'm still content, but it'd be really cool if I could get a second personal favorite.

Outside of personal favorites, Phoenix would be pretty cool as well. I've never played the Ace Attorney games, but I think he deserves the spot, or at least would put it to good use. If we're going reasonable predictions, that's the guy I would go with. Not as big as Banjo, whom I think they should've saved for the last spot, but... yeah.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I think most people are sleeping on a 2nd Bandai Namco rep, it's quite weird in fact that one hasn't shown up already. I also wouldn't rule out Capcom getting another character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
On the bolded - That is correct from what I've seen so far.

Nakoruru is one of the popular characters amongst SNK fans.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/here-are-the-ten-most-popular-snk-characters/

Well, the other SNK franchises that I heard of were Last Blade and World Heroes (although I don't think many will be familiar with their franchises. Also I do agree with the bolded.
Huh. I was not aware she was so popular. Maybe she's the one on those japanese leaks A Ayumi Tachibana mentioned?

I played a lot (A LOT) of Metal Slug back in the day - there were arcades everywhere! It's arguably my favorite franchise from SNK and I think it would be right at home in Smash. However, I treat it the same way I'm treating Klonoa - my favorite Namco character. I would love for it to happen, but... there are just way too many bigger fish, methinks.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I think most people are sleeping on a 2nd Bandai Namco rep, it's quite weird in fact that one hasn't shown up already. I also wouldn't rule out Capcom getting another character.
Agree it’s really odd they don’t have a second rep by now. They have so many great characters to choose from. Not to mention they helped make Smash Ultimate.

I just can’t see Bandai Namco being ok in helping create all of their rival companies 2nd or 3rd characters and not getting a 2nd one of their own.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Here's my opinion on who could be the last two fighters from these 4:

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden): I think this would be the last major franchise from the NES that Nintendo would add (barring Contra) and he would be pretty cool to see in a game like this. The NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy, despite being brutal, is regarded as one of the better trilogies in gaming and seeing such a revered franchise get represented with one of the most recognizable ninja's in all of gaming would be pretty cool to see.

Doomguy (DOOM): DOOM is one of the more plausible influential franchises that can make it here and DOOM recently has been loving the heck out of the Switch with DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal releasing on it. Doomguy himself is also very recognizable and the face of essentially the franchise that made the first-person shooter genre a genre in the first place. Would probably be one of the hardest characters to make at least PG-13 but since they did it with Bayo, I'm sure they can do it with Doomguy.

Master Chief (Halo): I know Banjo also counts as a Microsoft rep, but he's clearly more represented as a Rare rep. Master Chief is full blown a Microsoft rep and would easily be the best inclusion from Microsoft. Halo is one of the more influential franchises of the 2000's with it's first three outings being considered some of the best games of all time. It is Microsoft's golden goose and having him in Smash would be pretty sweet plus it would it'd be a good marketing push for Halo Infinite. Certainly would be a better addition then Steve in my opinion...

Dante (Devil May Cry): Dante is one of the most loved video game characters of all time and Devil May Cry 5 is considered one of the best games of this generation (at least to me it is). He'd easily be one of the more fun additions to a roster like Smash and his quota (having a DMC game on the Switch) has been met with Devil May Cry 1 being on it.

I also want to say Sora, but I think The Hero killed a lot of that hope.

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Agree it’s really odd they don’t have a second rep by now. They have so many great characters to choose from. Not to mention they helped make Smash Ultimate.

I just can’t see Bandai Namco being ok in helping create all of their rival companies 2nd or 3rd characters and not getting a 2nd one of their own.
And with all due respect to Bandai Namco and their fans, their franchises would be less earth shattering reveals than the likes of Cloud and Banjo. It would fit the cycle of Smash reveals having a tepid end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom