• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can't wait for people to say Viewtiful Joe is 100% confirmed just because Sakurai replied "hmm" to Kamiya.
What did Kamiya say? I can't read his tweets (he blocked me, which I find funny), but I know Kamiya put up a poll a while back asking which of his characters people would like to see in Smash. (I mainly remember it because responding to that in English is what got me blocked, but he had Wonder Red, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, and Dante in that poll)

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
What did Kamiya say? I can't read his tweets (he blocked me, which I find funny), but I know Kamiya put up a poll a while back asking which of his characters people would like to see in Smash. (I mainly remember it because responding to that in English is what got me blocked, but he had Wonder Red, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, and Dante in that poll)
He said "Ma-Kun, where is Joe?" something like that according to pushdustin.
Sakurai replied "hmm".
Edit: About the response of Kamiya to Sakurai, I dunno.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Viewtiful Joe would be one of my most-wanted Brawl era people being added. I'd love even a Mii costume!

And if it is a Mii costume, perhaps that means a Capcom rep...which bodes well for Phoenix...

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Viewtiful Joe would be one of my most-wanted Brawl era people being added. I'd love even a Mii costume!

And if it is a Mii costume, perhaps that means a Capcom rep...which bodes well for Phoenix...
True, but imagine if in a different timeline we got a Phoenix Wright Mii costume, he would be doing all kind of sick moves and stuff in the air, which isn't accurate to the character at all, and I probably would laugh/cry a lot.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I say the other two will be a capcom and a Nampo bandi character

Based on the costumes still missing

We should end up with the geno and Chocobo costumes in “the hero” pack

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So some questions to y'all. Who do you guys think are the final two DLC characters to be revealed and why? I'm thinking Lloyd Irving and an Resident Evil rep (Either Jill or Leon).

How does Banjo's reveal affect Steve's and Master Chief's chances getting into Smash now?

How does Hero's reveal affect any other Square Enix rep's chances now?

Still any hope or chances for them?

Do you all agree that regardless of whoever is next that no one at this point is gonna top Banjo who is probably the biggest reveal that even:ultkrool:and:ultridley:doesn't match?

I'm genuinely curious is all.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Who do you guys think are the final two DLC characters to be revealed and why?
Don't know, I think a Bamco rep, and a Capcom rep.
Bamco, a Tales of, I would love to see Lloyd, because he is an anime swordsman but he has TWO swords!
As for Capcom, Phoenix Wright, if Banjo told us something is that the the character doesn't need to be a massive icon or relevant to be DLC, that list Nintendo gave Sakurai probably had a good variety of character so I don't think Banjo was the only Microsoft choice available.
Now in the hypotetical scenario that Sakurai had the freedom to choose a new Capcom rep and somehow Phoenix Wright was in that list, well, I think the choice would be obvious.
Looking at Banjo and how his moveset feels totally fresh and new, as well as DQH having such an interesting gimmick, I think Sakurai is really challenging himself to create the movesets for the characters, and who better to give the man a true challenge than literally a frinkin lawyer from a VN.
How does Banjo's reveal affect Steve's and Master Chief's chances getting into Smash now?

Not in the rest of this fighters pass.
Do you all agree that regardless of whoever is next that no one at this point is gonna top Banjo who is probably the biggest reveal that even:ultkrool:and:ultridley:doesn't match?
Totally agree, not even Kratos would top that.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hopes: Arle and SpongeBob (meaning that once Arle shows up, I'd take anything, not literally SpongeBob but he's a part of anything and my go-to for filler choices that won't actually happen). There is a second pass, after some time, and if she's not here, Arle is among them.

Hopes more people would consider realistic: I'll just settle for Crash. Lloyd would be awesome too. After a year or two, we do get a second pass.

Expect, if Costume Theory dies: Crash Bandicoot and one of the following: Doom Slayer, Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell/Heihachi, Frisk/Sans, or Leon/Jill/Monster Hunter. This is the end of Smash Ultimate DLC.

Expect, if Costume Theory proves true: Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell/Heihachi Mishima/Nightmare and Leon/Jill/Chris/Wesker or Monster Hunter/Phoenix Wright/Amaterasu. This is the end of Smash Ultimate DLC.

Frontrunners if a second pass is confirmed, more of the first (new companies focus): Any of the above from Non-CT who don't get in, with a few more like Hollow Knight, Ryu Hayabusa (who could even show up in Pass 1), and even more that I can't name. THIS is the end of Smash DLC.

Frontrunners if a second pass is confirmed, more of the first (bulk up repped comanies): Arle (I will acknowledge that Kazuma Kiryu has a chance so Sakurai doesn't smite me), Monster Hunter/RE/Phoenix Wright/Amaterasu, Lloyd/Yuri/Heihachi/Nightmare, Goemon (can't think of a way for Gradius to work, and without Bomberman...), Crono/Lara Croft/Gex.

Frontrunners if a second pass is confirmed, Spirit promotions: Bandana Waddle Dee, Shantae, Geno, Paper Mario... uh, those are the only four I can think of. Maybe Tails if they decide to go that route.

Frontrunners if a second pass is confirmed, Assist and Spirit promotions: Waluigi, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Bandana Waddle Dee, Shantae, maybe Bomberman.

I like to have my bases covered.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now that I think about it actually. The only character I can arguably see matching Banjo is Geno. I still give out my hopes that the supporters gets their star warrior despite the odds right now.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
So some questions to y'all. Who do you guys think are the final two DLC characters to be revealed and why?
Scorpion, he's household name and would cause as much of a shock to people (positive and negative) as say, Joker did.

I see people constantly say that it wouldn't happen because Mortal Kombat isn't popular or even known in Japan, but it's very clear to me that the Fighter Pass is going to be full of characters with fanbases that would support it. I think because of how iconic he is, it nullifies all of his negatives. Plus, he'd be unexpected.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Geno is currently in the position of semi-disconfirmed. He's a Spirit, which I consider more important than Hero's inclusion, though others might be willing to hold Hero against Geno.

If Geno were to get in, it would break the Spirits barrier and the "one character per company in the pass" fan-rule, the latter of which I'd go crazy over.

As an aside, we have yet to receive a character who is unknown or even (last I remember) unpopular to Japan, and something tells me that it's unlikely to change in DLC. I won't count Scorpion out entirely, but he's not high on my prediction radar.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
So some questions to y'all. Who do you guys think are the final two DLC characters to be revealed and why? I'm thinking Lloyd Irving and an Resident Evil rep (Either Jill or Leon).

Morrigan, Phoenix Wright, a RE character, a Tekken character, a Tales character, Doomguy, a SNK character. It can go in many different ways, really.

I don't expect companies to get a second character in this Pass. It can happen, but I don't expect them. Granted, Banjo means Microsoft characters are fair game now.

Master Chief, Sora and all other Square/Microsoft characters will probably have to wait for another Pass or another game.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
With Banjo and Kazooie in... I don't care who else gets in. Sure I'd enjoy having Shantae and maybe even Sora or Master Chief (never played a Halo game and still think he'd be cool) but... I'm satisfied.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I don’t know, but I do think there has to be one character that is Simple and Clean and Dearly Beloved.

I believe Bethesda will be getting a fighter, likely the Doom Slayer, as I think Nintendo will want to throw in at least one more 3rd party company into the mix outside of Microsoft/ Rare. Bethesda has also been very persistent on getting a rep and with their high involvement with the Nintendo Switch, I think Nintendo will just give it to them regardless of popularity from ballot. Obviously ATLUS was a huge Nintendo partner and got Persona even with a lack of ballot, so I can see one more swinging that way as then we’ll have 2 or 3 (depending on how you see DQ) more business and more minor popularity picks along with two likely ballot killers to even it out.

As for the last fighter it has to be a big ballot pick, but not Rayman, Geno, Shantae, Wonder Red, or Shovel Knight. Sora is the highest at the moment and has been for a while, but he really teeters on the idea of two reps given to a single company for DLC. Other options include Phoenix, Jibyanyan, or Layton.

The last fighter could also be a Ninja Gaiden character, which is honestly more disappointing than DQ or even Ken and Incineroar.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doom Slayer would be sick to get.

Icing on cake as Amaterasu, Crash, Elma, Phoenix Wright or Sylux would be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So some questions to y'all. Who do you guys think are the final two DLC characters to be revealed and why?
Ryu Hayabusa and Nightmare are not only the 2 I most want but the 2 that I'd say will be fighters in Smash. Plus, they'll be the most realistic swordfighters in Smash when you consider all of the other swordfighters are drawn in a cartoony/anime style, which would be the freshest breath of air for those that have criticized Smash for supposedly putting too much anime swordies in Smash (like seriously FE gave swordfighters a bad rep).

I'm not counting any other Microsoft character in Smash, and the same definitely goes for SE. However, a Master Chief Mii Gunner Costume seems pretty possible.

Now that I think about it actually. The only character I can arguably see matching Banjo is Geno. I still give out my hopes that the supporters gets their star warrior despite the odds right now.
I don't believe for a second that Geno's reveal would match Banjo's reveal at all. Sure, he might get similar reactions for those that have been wanting him since Smash 4, but I just don't see everyone looking at him and going HOLY **** HE'S IN SMASH like I saw with Banjo. BK's pretty much looked upon as a cultural icon to even the casual crowd. If Geno's reveal would make even them go crazy, then I'd be wrong about this whole thing, but I doubt that they would since he's a major side character from a game that's a few decades old and has only made 1 cameo appearance since then.

As far as who could possibly top Banjo's reveal, there isn't any top contenders that could. The fan demand for Banjo was huge in both Japan and the West for years. I could say it would be Sora since Disney owns him or Doomslayer based on how shocking it'd be, but I imagine the fan demand for both of them haven't been as strong or lasting as long as Banjo's demand.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
At this point my best guess would be that one of the remaining is a Capcom Rep, I'm like 75-80% sold on that right now. I have to agree with others in the thread that the likely picks for that one would be Phoenix Wright; If he can work in UMVC3 he can certainly work in Smash, frankly I think he would work better in this game. Or a RE rep either Chris, Leon or Jill as the most likely picks there. Beyond that I have no idea.

Regardless of who the last two characters are I am still super happy with what we have right now and I'm completely satisfied with the roster as is.
Edit: Thinking about it more even this sounds iffy to me Capcom already has 3 reps if you count Ken. I'm begining to doubt that they would get a fourth. But now I have zero clue who it would be.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
My current predictions are Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil and Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. As much as I don't want the last two characters to be painfully obvious Bamco and Capcom characters that's the only thing I foresee right now. I have absolutely zero connection to either of those characters and would not care in the slightest if they were to be included but I'm being realistic here.

Edit: Though there are many others I still see as perfectly viable candidates. I mentioned Steve earlier because we still don't know what exactly this Minecraft content Vergeben keeps talking about is and then there is one first party character that Banjo has convinced me is back in the running after giving it some thought but I'll elaborate on that at a later time.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'm pretty confident that there won't be a second Square Enix rep or a second Microsoft rep in this Fighter Pass.

And unless they somehow make Waluigi playable, Banjo isn't even gonna be close to beat.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Doom Slayer would be sick to get.
Agreed, he’d add a sharp contrast to the rest of the fighters and be a huge addition in general. He just didn’t have much ballot pull until recently.

Icing on cake as Amaterasu, Crash, Elma, Phoenix Wright or Sylux would be.
I’d add Rayman to that list if we are counting Elma who has a spirit

Honestly, I hope our next two picks are new 3rd parties. I love Capcom and the rest of the pre-existing supporters, but seeing Bethesda and Ubisoft would be cooler. If one of the partners had to get another rep though, then Namco all the way as they only have 1 in comparison to everyone else’s 2-3 fighters and franchises. Namco needs a Tekken, a Tales, a Soul Caliber, or even an arcade rep just to even out the old 3rd parties from games past.

After them, Capcom

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
My current guesses of likely characters right now for this pass. Keep in mind we might get a wave 2.

Leon/Jill/Chris/Resident Evil, Lloyd/Yuri, Chosen Undead/Solaire, Crash Bandicoot, Doomguy, Sans, and Phoenix Wright.

I would say my three most likely would be Leon, Lloyd, and Crash. It depends on costume theory tbh.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I see the special Bethesda relationship argument after seeing how Doom Eternal was treated during the presentation. When ports of Resident Evil 5 and 6 get more attention than one of the big new third party titles for the year.... And it's not like the reason was because of a showcase during Bethesda's show, because Nintendo started that conference with a mini Square Enix segment.

If Doomslayer is indeed one of the last two fighters, then you think you'd want to at least have a bespoke trailer for the next game that they're appearing in?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Personally, I want Rayman, Phoenix Wright, and Shantae; they're my top 3 most wanted right now. I think only Wright really has a chance, but we shall see.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not sure I see the special Bethesda relationship argument after seeing how Doom Eternal was treated during the presentation. When ports of Resident Evil 5 and 6 get more attention than one of the big new third party titles for the year.... And it's not like the reason was because of a showcase during Bethesda's show, because Nintendo started that conference with a mini Square Enix segment.

If Doomslayer is indeed one of the last two fighters, then you think you'd want to at least have a bespoke trailer for the next game that they're appearing in?
On the other hand they really pushed Skyrim, and gave it crossover content. It's possible Nintendo has some restrictions on how much visceral violence they'll accept in a general Direct. And that's a big hook for DOOM (and Wolfenstein), hence their limited spotlight. I mean overall it's pretty clear that Nintendo and Bethesda have a fairly close working relationship atm.

Plus, it's not like they showed Persona 5 Scramble at all.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Just out of curiosity, with these two reveals, who do you hope the last two DLC characters are?

I'm hoping for Dante to be one of them, but I'm torn between Doomguy and Sans - both of them could be entertaining. We could use a second Namco-Bandai character, but with the possible exception of Agumon, I don't know if I'd be excited for one of them as I would be for those three.
Kyo Kusanagi. I could care less at who the 5th one is, because that'd be the cherry on top at that point.

KatKit

Smash Lord
With Banjo/Kazooie (leaked) and The Hero (datamined) revealed, there's literally no clue as to who fighters 4 and 5 are. Unless somebody leaks something, it's a complete mystery. I know which characters I'd like to see, and which ones I think have a chance, but I honestly don't know what they're going to do for the last two. I kinda like not knowing, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I would say:

If custome theory is true:
- Bandai Namco: Dark Souls character / Lloyd Irving
- Capcom: Phoenix Wright / Resident Evil character

If custome theory is false:
- Bandai Namco: Dark Souls character / Lloyd Irving
- Bethesda: Doom Slayer

Remember Bandai having only Pac-Man, but being a developer for Smash too. So I fully expect a second Bandai Namco character.

Capcom already has THREE characters: Ryu, Ken, Mega Man. This is the most, together with SEGA (Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker). I don't expect a company to get more than three characters, but if custome theory is true... well. It would be a little bit of a Capcom overkill. Capcom has their own set of fighting games (vs. Capcom series).

Then, Bethesda being buddy-buddy with Nintendo CAN mean something. On the other hand, Ubisoft is also buddy-buddy with Nintendo and they didn't get a character in Smash. If they wanna end of this Smash speculation cycle with a bang, then Doom Slayer can be the perfect last character. Bringing some more "dark"/"mature" characters to Smash with a Dark Souls character and Doom Slayer, could bring new fanbases to Smash and make some new possibilities possible.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Completely random, but it's so weird to think how much the narrative around Dixie Kong has changed. I remember when she was perceived as a sure thing and K. Rool was a silly pipe dream character only kept alive by vocal fans on the internet. To say nothing of Banjo-Kazooie. Now both of these old and forgotten Rareware characters are in Smash Bros... and Dixie is still MIA.

Dixie very well might be the most overpredicted Smash character ever.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Completely random, but it's so weird to think how much the narrative around Dixie Kong has changed. I remember when she was perceived as a sure thing and K. Rool was a silly pipe dream character only kept alive by vocal fans on the internet. To say nothing of Banjo-Kazooie. Now both of these old and forgotten Rareware characters are in Smash Bros... and Dixie is still MIA.

Dixie very well might be the most overpredicted Smash character ever.
>When you realize Dixie was also planned to be in Brawl as a tag team partner with Diddy Kong.

She really got the short end of the stick, didn't she...?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Whilst I do have a feeling that the remaining two DLC characters are possibly going to be third party

1. Bandai Namco Rep - Considering that Capcom, Konami, SEGA (since Atlus is owned by SEGA if I read correctly) and now Square-Enix are getting a second character from their franchise, it would make sense for Bandai Namco to get a second character as well. If I were to pick someone from Namco's franchise it would be between a Tekken or a Tales character.

2. A character from a different third party developer - This one is where I feel it would be difficult to predict as there are many other third party companies who have yet to be represented in Smash such as Level-5, Tecmo Koei, SNK etc. Personally, if the a Tekken character is not confirmed as part of the Fighters Pass, then I would pass it onto someone from the SNK franchise. After all, SNK is on the rise and with several of their characters making guest appearances in other fighting games, then there is a possibility that they may bring someone from SNK's franchises mainly between Kyo Kusanagi, Terry Bogard or Nakoruru.

In addition, I'm aware that there is a 4chan rumour which somewhat guessed three of the five fighters accurately and claimed that Fire Emblem Three Houses's Edelgard and Metroid's Sylux. I remember that I shot this down quickly as he did say that he will post the uncompleted models of some of the characters in which this user has yet to do so and it would be much more difficult now considering the way Nintendo is approaching to anyone who leaks their contents. Either way, I would put it as a 50% possibility that the claims could be right for now.

I personally do not expect anymore Microsoft characters in the Fighters Pass. If they were to do another fighters pass, its a maybe.

Like I said with Microsoft, I don't highly expect anymore characters from Square-Enix even though I am not entirely ruling the possibility that it could happen if Smash were to do another Fighters Pass.

Well, thats hard for me to say as I enjoyed most of the trailers they had revealed so far. But I did thoroughly enjoyed Banjo's and Hero's trailers.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If the Mii costume theory is accurate, which I could definitely see, then a Capcom rep and Bamco rep make sense. If we go by that logic my hopes are Phoenix Wright and Velvet Crowe. Jill Valentine/Leon S. Kennedy would be great to rep Capcom and Resident Evil is a legendary series, but Ace Attorney has been a Nintendo series since the GBA and Phoenix would be hilarious, fun, unique, and also bring some absolutely incredible music along. As for Velvet, she's my preferred Tales Of rep because as much as I like Symphonia and Lloyd, Velvet has a super unique moveset with her death hand as well as access to Artes like Lloyd would have.

That said, an outside shot for Bamco would be KOS-MOS, as she's constantly used in their crossovers, and I'm a huge Xenosaga fan so that would be awesome.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is the list of the current DLC fighters for Smash Ultimate
Free/Nintendo: Piranha Plant
Altas/SEGA: Joker (Persona 5)
Square Enix: The Hero (Dragon Quest XI)
Rare/Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie
???: Challenger 4
???: Challenger 5

Untouch

Smash Master

Skyrim was the only third party game shown in the Switch unveiling.
Bethesda was the 4th third party to announce games for the Switch, the other 3 are Square Enix, Sega and Ubisoft (2 of which already have DLC, 1 has new content in the game).
There has never been a Bethesda game on Nintendo before this. (Unless we count DOOM, which we don't as they were not Bethesda at this point).
Obviously this doesn't prove a character is in, but after the disaster of the WiiU, this didn't just happen randomly.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
When do you guys predict they will unveil challengers 4 and 5 of the fighters pass?
If I was to guess, unless they do another double reveal, I can see a direct in November with Banjo release and #4, then #5 at the game awards.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
When do you guys predict they will unveil challengers 4 and 5 of the fighters pass?
Probably sometime after Fall/ begin Winter, when Banjo is released. At least fighter 4.
Though they might pull a Cloud and reveal a Smash Direct to where they will reveal fighter 5 and a surprise reveal of a fighter 6 along with a confirmation of a second fighters pass lemme dream darn it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom