• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I'd be kind of surprised if we didn't get a new character from Namco Bandai, so I think Lloyd Irving has a chance. As for my last guess, probably either Rayman or Crash.

Crazy news today! Was hoping to get a new character released today, but waiting is fine when we know who we are waiting for. I imagine the release schedule will be like this:

August 2019: Hero
November 2019: Banjo & Kazooie
December 2019: Final Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct
February 2020: Final 2 Characters

Those last few months would mirror the end of the Smash 3DS/Wii U DLC schedule.

D

Deleted member

Crazy news today! Was hoping to get a new character released today, but waiting is fine when we know who we are waiting for. I imagine the release schedule will be like this:

Christ. That's a HUGE gap right there from the reveal to the release especially when you consider that Banjo-Kazooie actually had gameplay footage. I honestly think Hero will release sometime in late June to Early July with Banjo coming out in early September.

The 4th DLC pack will most likely be released on November and the last pack will be on February.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I kinda hope we don't get a new Namco rep just because it seems too predictable at this point and after those last two reveals I'm really hoping for someone who surprises us.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Well no Steve, Kinda bummed TBH.

Banjo and the Dragon Quest Hero look fun though, but I am disappointed by the lack of Mii outfits so far.

As of now we have two characters left. I still suspect Doom to be a franchise represented in December not going to lie.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well no Steve, Kinda bummed TBH.

Banjo and the Dragon Quest Hero look fun though, but I am disappointed by the lack of Mii outfits so far.

As of now we have two characters left. I still suspect Doom to be a franchise represented in December not going to lie.
As we get closer to the release of both of these characters, I could see them getting a little video like what Joker got, going over their moves, stage, and anything else that's added with them.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
After Daisy I didn't think it could get any better, then Simon happened and I didn't think it could get any better, then K. Rool happened and I officially felt the roster was good enough and there was absolutely literally no way it could get better.

Then Banjo happened. I'm just done at this point.

D

Deleted member

1 of the biggest takeaways from the reveal trailers were that they had CGI scenes, which I never would've expected to see at all.

Another fun bit I took away from it were the characters used in the reveal trailers: Link, Marth, Meta Knight, Shulk, ZSS, Mewtwo, Ridley, Little Mac, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, K Rool, and Duck Hunt (not including anyone from BK's outro thing). Characters that were in previous reveal trailers (other than those being revealed) were Mario, Mega Man, Samus, Luigi, DeDeDe, Bowser Jr, and Villager.

With all of them out of the way, what characters who haven't been used for the CGI trailers do you think would be in the next 2 reveals? I can picture the Kid Icarus cast or a couple of Fire Emblem characters being involved with Nightmare's trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
As we get closer to the release of both of these characters, I could see them getting a little video like what Joker got, going over their moves, stage, and anything else that's added with them.
Yeah, true. Mii Costumes are sure to be there, but what ones do you believe will go along with the characters?

I’m thinking

Summer costumes:
Geno
Chocobo Hat
Slime Hat
Octopath?

Fall costumes:
Master Chief
Steve
Battle Toads
Conker

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'd be kind of surprised if we didn't get a new character from Namco Bandai, so I think Lloyd Irving has a chance. As for my last guess, probably either Rayman or Crash.

I dunno, I'm still of the opinion that there will likely be more DLC than just Plant and the fighter pass because best selling fighting game on wildly successful console instead of highly successful fighting game on a failure of a console (the last Smash 4 DLC came out a year before the Wii U was discontinued and the Switch was released IIRC)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, true. Mii Costumes are sure to be there, but what ones do you believe will go along with the characters?

I’m thinking

Summer costumes:
Geno
Chocobo Hat
Slime Hat
Octopath?

Fall costumes:
Master Chief
Steve
Battle Toads
Conker
That sounds about right. I didn't think of an Octopath class, but that could make for an interesting costume or costumes.

Maybe another Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or Banjo character? I could see Mumbo, Tifa, Barrett, Black Mage, Sephiroth, or Erdrick getting Mii costumes.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Do we think Banjo and Hero will come with company wide spirits? Or be more directly focused on their franchises? Final Fantasy has such poor representation at this point, but it's not like Joker came with spirits for Catherine or Shin Megami Tensei.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I’m thinking

Summer costumes:
Geno
Chocobo Hat
Slime Hat
Octopath?

Fall costumes:
Master Chief
Steve
Battle Toads
Conker
No Fulgore? Awww, man...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I kinda hope we don't get a new Namco rep just because it seems too predictable at this point and after those last two reveals I'm really hoping for someone who surprises us.
That's the ticket. It's looking likely that Bamco are being more modest than last time and let other people's stuff have their chance to shine.

I mean, it just feels good to have no idea who's coming again. Most of the fake leaks are toast to various degrees, even if they got one thing or two about Luminary right.

Do we think Banjo and Hero will come with company wide spirits? Or be more directly focused on their franchises? Final Fantasy has such poor representation at this point, but it's not like Joker came with spirits for Catherine or Shin Megami Tensei.
Remember hearing about that datamine of Blast Corps and JFG's Japanese titles on the game's cart? It might be likely.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Remember hearing about that datamine of Blast Corps and JFG's Japanese titles on the game's cart? It might be likely.
Rare feels more likely. But I'd be intrigued how far out into the wilds of Microsoft they go. Vergeben's only thing that hasn't come true is Minecraft content, but Grant Kirkhope did an interview where he implies they only reached out to Rare shortly before the new year in regards to Banjo. So the timeline seems iffy. Unless Steve was being developed but he was too tricky to implement? But that also feels unlikely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Banjo is a dream come true, and DQ guy is cool too. But the real silver lining is we don't have to drone on about them anymore. :teeth:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
That sounds about right. I didn't think of an Octopath class, but that could make for an interesting costume or costumes.
Well Octopath is a big Switch exclusive, so it seems ripe to get a costume. I don’t play Square’s titles, so I cab’t Say what it’ll be.

Maybe another Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or Banjo character? I could see Mumbo, Tifa, Barrett, Black Mage, Sephiroth, or Erdrick getting Mii costumes.
I can definitely see Mumbo, but I doubt we’ll get much Final Fantasy content judging by the past.

D

Deleted member

At the very least we’ll get spirits more focused on their franchises.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With all the leaked characters out of the way, we can now get to freely speculate the identities of the last 2 DLC characters.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So some people are digging out the leak that says the next two fighters are Edelgard and Sylux. But neither really work as promotions now. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is out next month. Maybe they do a direct between then and now, but a third character without having a release date for the first two feels unlikely.

As for Sylux. I imagine Nintendo want Metroid Prime 4 as their holiday 2020 game (we'll see if that happens), so maybe Sylux hits in February as promotion, but that's a long gap for something if it is indeed supposed to promote a tent pole release.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was hoping Banjo's face wouldn't look a little off to me with the new official render. It doesn't. He looks better in motion though so that's good at least.

EDIT: Also Spiral Mountain is literally just the same notes over and over again...

Last edited:

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
I'll take a few shots in the dark here:

If Nintendo is still reserving all of these slots for 3rd party characters, my dlc 4 predictions are: Crash, Spyro, or Rayman. These are just popular picks that all could very easily make it into the game. All of them would fit the game very well.

If Nintendo isn't, there is like a 99.999999% chance that it's someone from 3 houses. Fire Emblem wouldn't be what it is today without Smash Bros. so it's understandable that including a character from the most recent game has become a tradition more or less. Even if the joke "too many Fire Emblem characters" is true (but not a bad thing necessarily). I don't know if Nintendo will be ready for a Sword and Shield mon yet, but if they are, I have no idea who it would be.

I also predict that there will be another fighter pass after this one completes. No real evidence here, I just think that Sakurai isn't done.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So some people are digging out the leak that says the next two fighters are Edelgard and Sylux. But neither really work as promotions now. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is out next month. Maybe they do a direct between then and now, but a third character without having a release date for the first two feels unlikely.

As for Sylux. I imagine Nintendo want Metroid Prime 4 as their holiday 2020 game (we'll see if that happens), so maybe Sylux hits in February as promotion, but that's a long gap for something if it is indeed supposed to promote a tent pole release.
Yeah, especially considering we know very little about Sylux other than what is detailed on the Metroid wiki

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Christ. That's a HUGE gap right there from the reveal to the release especially when you consider that Banjo-Kazooie actually had gameplay footage. I honestly think Hero will release sometime in late June to Early July with Banjo coming out in early September.

The 4th DLC pack will most likely be released on November and the last pack will be on February.
True, though if Hero's release was less than a month away, I feel like Nintendo would have stated that. At the earliest, I feel like Hero could be released in late July. Realistically, it will probably be August (or September in a worst case scenario) So, if Hero is getting released in July, I could see Banjo in September (and then the last two probably in Nov/Dec and Feb respectively). If Hero's release is later then I could see Banjo being released in Oct/Nov.

I've changed my predicted schedule:

Hero: August 2019
Banjo: October 2019
#4 (Lloyd Irving?): December 2019
#5 (Crash Bandicoot?): February 2020

I just don't really know though. Can't picture it all being a 2 month gap. Guess we will see though!

I dunno, I'm still of the opinion that there will likely be more DLC than just Plant and the fighter pass because best selling fighting game on wildly successful console instead of highly successful fighting game on a failure of a console (the last Smash 4 DLC came out a year before the Wii U was discontinued and the Switch was released IIRC)
That would be great, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is it. Would be nice to get at least one more fighters pass after this one though. I'm sure Nintendo is making a lot of money off of this and probably wants it to continue!

andree123

Smash Ace
Does anyone think that Banjo's info would be released alongside with a announcement of character #74? They done it with Lucas in ssb4.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01

No Rex because XC2 too late, but Edelgard and Sylux? No...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No Rex because XC2 too late, but Edelgard and Sylux? No...
I don't think that Edelgard and Sylux are getting in because FE3H would already be out in the case of the former and the latter's game was completely restarted.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Here's my crazy nonsense Smash prediction (well more like what I'd like to see but w/e):

FIGHTER PASS #1:
Challenger Pack #2:
Hero - July 2019 Release
Challenger Pack #3: Banjo & Kazooie - September 2019 Release
Challenger Pack #4: Doom Slayer - November 2019 Release
Challenger Pack #5: Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy - January 2020 Release

Stand Alone Fighter: Sephiroth - March 2020 Release

FIGHTER PASS #2:
Challenger Pack #1:
Crono - April 2020 Release
Challenger Pack #2: Ryu Hayabusa - June 2020 Release
Challenger Pack #3: Crash Bandicoot - August 2020 Release
Challenger Pack #4: Dante - October 2020 Release
Challenger Pack #5: Gordon Freeman - December 2020 Release
Challenger Pack #6: Master Chief - February 2021 Release

Stand Alone Fighter: Geno - February 2021

Last edited:

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
For my opinion Bethesda is trying it very hard to get a slot in Smash, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom