• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I've always just lurked, but something I can't shake is also something I don't see anyone talking about. Probably because literally none of us want it to happen, but don't you think a Byleth reveal is a very real possibility? He'd be revealed at E3 and release around the same time Three Houses releases next month. Does anyone really think we're getting out of this without another Fire Emblem shill character with standard sword moves and a down B counter move?
Honestly, he'd really just be ANOTHER Marth. It may just be my opinion, but still!

Last edited:

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Call me crazy and extremely biased here considering he's been my top pick for a while, but with all the fuss over new information about FF7 remake finally getting new information, press, and a (quickly) impending release date (most people seemed to think it was gonna be PS5), I think we're going to get a Sephiroth reveal.

The game is severely lacking in FF content and I think this is because Square wants to make their money on DLC rather than one time licensing for the base game. They just revealed art for Sephiroth specifically not too long ago (the first I saw of it was yesterday but it could have been anytime the past week or two). I think they're going to pull what's been considered somewhat of a "sleeper pick" and go with a franchise and character that's much more universally identifiable than Erdrick. I am curious to see how big a focus Dragon Quest takes at Nintendo and Square's E3 presentations though, I have yet to see any E3 push on it from the developers, which is weird if he was going to be included in Smash. Alternatively I could see Square being completely passed over for a later DLC and out of left field Sakurai and team strikes a deal with Disney for Sora's licensing. I might be a little insane, who knows.

Also I predict Banjo. We all know about the Cableguys figurine leaks from Exquisite Gaming. Interestingly enough, it's found online as being listed "NINTENDO Banjo Kazooie", which makes me think he's either included in Smash or Nintendo is doing something wild like buying the IP from Microsoft. The more likely at this point I believe to be the former.

I expect to see one character shadow dropped (if not day of then like a week or two later tops) and another getting a teaser trailer type of announcement (no gameplay). These are going to be my official predictions.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, he'd really just be ANOTHER Marth. It may just be my opinion, but still!
So a third Marth?

Eh, wouldn't be a big deal. (Roy stopped being a Marth as of Smash 4, completely changing up what he's like. We've only had 2 Marths at most in any given Smash game).

We don't really have a second Ike, a second Robin, or a second Corrin, so those could all have fun Echo options.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Alrighty

Here's my hot take (that's absolutely cold, once more), again

Nobody- and I do mean Nobody- who is expected will get in.

No Banjo, no Sora, no Erdrick, no Steve, none of that.

Part of Joker's and Plant's appeal is that (sorry in advance) nobody could have seen them coming. Looking back to Sm4sh DLC (I do recognize it was more casual and unpredictable but still), we can see that, leaks aside, there was no real way of predicting who would be DLC next. Fans predicted the characters they liked best, only to be let down once more when the chosen character was not theirs. Why would Sakuri suddenly switch this peculiar pattern just to suddenly choose your characters?

I'm almost certainly most ignorant. But I do believe most people discussing DLC place their own hopes over the scarce data that exists, acting as though they are surefire hits for the next character (I am guilty of this as well with Hat Kid).
I would very much like for this to happen but one of the first problems with this is that Erdrick and to a lesser extent Steve were not expected characters before credible leaks cropped up with them in it (mainly Vergeben).

DownBCounter

Smash Rookie
Yes, because Corrin didn't come with enough content for a Fighters Pass character.
You mean because Corrin didn't come with a stage and much music? I don't know if I agree that that means Byleth couldn't be in. They could have made a stage and some music for Corrin if they wanted to, but at that time they hadn't committed to "one character, one stage, and music" like they have now with the fighter pass. They could easily slap some generic Fire Emblem arena stage together and pull some music from Three Houses if they want to use Byleth.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I get some reveals are hype and some aren’t as hype. But having another Fire Emblem character, especially a male swordy, from the franchise responsible for the whole “anime swordsman” problem in smash, would be to me the opposite of hype. It would actually be infuriating.
On anything I don’t like or i have no knowledge of, I am neural. But FE is the only thing I openly dislike, borderline hate, as far as Smash newcomer goes.

Last edited:

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
I get some reveals are hype and some aren’t as hype. But having another Fire Emblem character, especially a male swordy, from the franchise responsible for the whole “anime swordsman” problem in smash, would be to me the opposite of hype. It would actually be infuriating.
On anything I don’t like or i have no knowledge of, I am neural. But FE is the only thing I openly dislike, borderline hate, as far as Smash newcomer goes.
Largely the same reason I don't want Erdrick. If you're going to put another swordie in at this point considering we have all the ones of games past it's gotta be someone like Cloud or Shulk that are very distinctly different from the rest of the sword characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can’t see Byleth happening unless they make them use an axe, but apparently Edelgard is the axe user. Sure we could get Edelgard instead, then, but Sakurai’s past statements on FE characters when he released Corrin make me somewhat doubtful on any after Chrom, who was likely heavily considered for Smash 4 before they switched to Robin (if Sakurai didn’t already confirm this; I think one of his articles or interviews did) and Chrom is an echo. He won’t add anymore FE characters unless his team or Nintendo show him how unique they can be, and Nintendo seems to have let Sakurai have at least some authority in regards to DLC.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
unless they make them use an axe
Abilities are more important than weaponry to Sakurai. Look at Robin and Corrin: It wasn't about them not using swords, it was about them doing more than just that.

Which is another reason why I doubt a 3H character.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Largely the same reason I don't want Erdrick. If you're going to put another swordie in at this point considering we have all the ones of games past it's gotta be someone like Cloud or Shulk that are very distinctly different from the rest of the sword characters.
Look, I love Cloud, and Final Fantasy (especially 7 which is my first and favorite) but he’s not exactly the best example when his moveset is ... basically another take on Ike.

A misrepresentation of FF in every level. This is why I have a love-hate relation with this character.

Erdrick would be completely unique, on the other hand. (People tend to just look at his artwork... and tbh I don’t get what goes through their heads... I mean if Injudge like they do by his design alone, then he has a shield at least)
I mean this is me going almost all out, but still trying to cram it all into a single smash Moveset.

Also, labeling Erdrick out of all Japanese game sword protagonists as “another anime sword guy” always seemed to me like the equivalent of calling Superman “another comic book superhero”. At least from it’s homeland perspective where the genre was basically pioneered.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Look, I love Cloud, and Final Fantasy (especially 7 which is my first and favorite) but he’s not exactly the best example when his moveset is ... basically another take on Ike.

A misrepresentation of FF in every level. This is why I have a love-hate relation with this character.

Erdrick would be completely unique, on the other hand. (People tend to just look at his artwork... and tbh I don’t get what goes through their heads... I mean if Injudge like they do by his design alone, then he has a shield at least)
I mean this is me going almost all out, but still trying to cram it all into a single smash Moveset.

Also, labeling Erdrick out of all Japanese game sword protagonists as “another anime sword guy” always seemed to me like the equivalent of calling Superman “another comic book superhero”. At least from it’s homeland perspective where the genre was basically pioneered.
There's no way to say all of this would happen. He might be as simple as Marth/Ike/Roy/Chrom/Lucina are. Of course he has potential. But people should realize that that doesn't meant the potential will be used.

Incidentally, Ike was used as a base to create Cloud, but also to create Corrin, so you're not entirely off. Though Cloud is still vastly different from Ike bar a bodyframe and a few moves. He's not even an alternate take on Ike, he's a completely different beast.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There's no way to say all of this would happen. He might be as simple as Marth/Ike/Roy/Chrom/Lucina are. Of course he has potential. But people should realize that that doesn't meant the potential will be used.

Incidentally, Ike was used as a base to create Cloud, but also to create Corrin, so you're not entirely off. Though Cloud is still vastly different from Ike bar a bodyframe and a few moves. He's not even an alternate take on Ike, he's a completely different beast.
Well I think that’s what we’re all afraid of in the end. Supporters, not supporters and people indifferent or neutral.
It’s also why most people who are aware of DQ, but haven’t really invested a good deal of time in them would prefer Slime. And I don’t blame them. Slime would guarantee a unique moveset off the get-go. Heck, I would love Slime as well. Not one of my most wanted, but still relatively high.

But even if we go through the very basic stuff, Erdrick could at least throw a fireball, change a weapon or two for other attacks, or perhaps use his shield as Palutena does to attack, that already would make him an unorthodox sword fighter.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I think that’s what we’re all afraid of in the end. Supporters, not supporters and people indifferent or neutral.
It’s also why most people who are aware of DQ, but haven’t really invested a good deal of time in them would prefer Slime. And I don’t blame them. Slime would guarantee a unique moveset off the get-go. Heck, I would love Slime as well. Not one of my most wanted, but still relatively high.
Yeah, that's true. It does help that Joker is highly unique, despite taking bits and notes from other characters. But some refuse to see him as unique like he is, which isn't helping either.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Slime isn't picked because he can't think of ways to make limbs workable. Slimy tentacles work, sure, but maybe that's not something Sakurai thinks is a good idea. That would make a Hero inherently easier to work with.

On another note, I heard Luminary is supposed to become the "first" Edrick in lore. Is this correct?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that's true. It does help that Joker is highly unique, despite taking bits and notes from other characters. But some refuse to see him as unique like he is, which isn't helping either.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Slime isn't picked because he can't think of ways to make limbs workable. Slimy tentacles work, sure, but maybe that's not something Sakurai thinks is a good idea. That would make a Hero inherently easier to work with.

On another note, I heard Luminary is supposed to become the "first" Edrick in lore. Is this correct?
Yes, in the true ending he's given the title of Erdrick. The post-credits scene after DQXI's true ending is essentially a recreation of DQIII's opening scene, following the protagonist's mother reading what's implied to be DQXI's story from a book. I would also recommend specifying the tag as DQXI spoilers.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, in the true ending he's given the title of Erdrick. The post-credits scene after DQXI's true ending is essentially a recreation of DQIII's opening scene, following the protagonist's mother reading what's implied to be DQXI's story from a book. I would also recommend specifying the tag as DQXI spoilers.
]Now I'm just more led to believe that Luminary is the actual character. He's "an" Erdrick, which would fit with the weird response Tansut gave. It also would just plain sell better than the mostly Japanese-only character. If there's alts, regular Erdrick better be one, or I'll call foul. Okay, make the original Hero an alt too. Amazing yet simple design~

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I think Slime could be used in so many ways.
Either have other monsters assist him (as limbs for example) kind of how Duck assists Dog in Dog Hunt. Dracky could work as “hands” swing items, or a recovery, stronger monsters (like golem) could work for his Smash attacks, etc.

A little gimmicky, but DQ monsters can come out of nowhere and go out with a poof like in the games.

As for Joker, yeah, I could tell right off the bat that his moves looked similar to Sheik and Falco. So maybe I should be on the mindset that they’ll have to recycle animations from other characters.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Considering every Dragon Quest protagonist has been designed by Toriyama, I don't think it would be too out of the realms of possibilities to have a few alts. Something like Dragon Quest I-III, VIII and XI probably fits the full spread of the series? They all have pretty similar body types, although my experience is limited with the series, so I don't know if there are drastic gameplay differences.

D

Deleted member

Considering every Dragon Quest protagonist has been designed by Toriyama, I don't think it would be too out of the realms of possibilities to have a few alts. Something like Dragon Quest I-III, VIII and XI probably fits the full spread of the series? They all have pretty similar body types, although my experience is limited with the series, so I don't know if there are drastic gameplay differences.
The only real outliers would be the protagonists of II (can't cast magic), V (completely different ability set than that of usual protagonists), VII (body proportions are too small to match the rest), and IX (also too small).
Generally speaking though, in terms of abilities, from III onward Hero is pretty much a defined class with standard abilities and such, which is designated to the protagonist (there is a story reason DQV's isn't that)
I can see it being like this if they were to go the same route as Bowser Jr with DQ protagonists:
DQI (similar enough to the rest, plus in internal crossovers it's pretty normal for old characters to retroactively receive new abilities)
DQIII Male
DQIII Female
DQIV Male
DQIV Female
DQVI
DQVIII
DQXI

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Byleth's special weapon seems to be a whip sword, so at the very least he should be a bit more like Shulk. He also has infantry at his disposal (be they named characters or just the mooks) so I wouldn't worry about him being boring in terms of gameplay. He would be a boring character though. The dude hasn't shown a hint of personality in any of the cutscenes. He just stands there...menacingly.

I shall now stand by the assumption that King Boo is the most interesting promotional pick.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Tomorrow is the Nintendo Direct. Whatever happens, if that character doesn't appear at E3, they still have another chance later on. Also, be prepared for any curveballs Nintendo and even Sakurai will pitch.

Don't end up being engulf in the flames of anger and salt.
Screenshot_20190610-215449_YouTube.jpg

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I'm cautiously optimistic about Steve's chances. Every time Microsoft and Nintendo work together it's because of Minecraft, it's kind of the bridge that is bringing them together. Here's to hoping Steve actually makes it in Smash.
Same. Minecraft began the partnership and it should get the honor of seeing it through in Smash. His big opponent if we are going off Microsoft returns seems to be the big Chief himself, which would be cool in and of itself

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I find Erdrick an extremely peculiar character for them to include at E3. The Erdrick we all discuss, the Dragon Quest 3 Hero, is somebody who is a complete nobody outside of Japan, but within it nothing short of an icon who might not be Mario/Pikachu tier but isn't all that far away. Slime, which is much more popular outside Japan and immediately distinctive, and the Luminary, who comes from the most recent game that Square would want to promote, seem like they would make far more sense for inclusion at E3, where the primary audience is the west. Erdrick would be better suited to, say, a TGS reveal in Japan, where his primary audience is the one watching and the ones who would be blown away.

Erdrick not appearing at E3 isn't the end, but in fact him being a TGS makes more sense to me than him showing up there. That's where he'll be appreciated by everybody, not regarded with confusion by the public at large. Granted, Erdrick DOES have fans in the States and other locations, but relative to even other Smash fandoms, let alone the general public, which is who Nintendo wants to sell this pass to, they aren't that much. A September character reveal is entirely possible, if not quite likely, and I think a TGS reveal while framing it as a loose video for the western world would make more sense than trying to sell a character who's a virtual unknown to a mass audience while the people who WOULD care won't know for a while. Given, of course, there's no other specific reason that mandates that Erdrick must be the E3 reveal (Square demanded it or else they would pull the rights to Cloud, the reveal trailers for 3/4/5 all feature Erdrick, Sakurai just couldn't wait, or maybe something else).

This is written with the assumption that the leakers are completely infallible in regards to Erdrick. I don't believe in leakbait, at least in regards to Smash, but there's nothing saying that the guys who've been leaking Erdrick aren't somehow mistaken.

As an aside, I already feel bad for Erdrick and Banjo's fanbases. Assuming we get one reveal, then one of them is going to be treated as the "winner" who will be attacking the "loser" and their fanbase. If it's neither, hoo boy, those two will both be treated like crap for a long time.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I find Erdrick an extremely peculiar character for them to include at E3. The Erdrick we all discuss, the Dragon Quest 3 Hero, is somebody who is a complete nobody outside of Japan, but within it nothing short of an icon who might not be Mario/Pikachu tier but isn't all that far away. Slime, which is much more popular outside Japan and immediately distinctive, and the Luminary, who comes from the most recent game that Square would want to promote, seem like they would make far more sense for inclusion at E3, where the primary audience is the west. Erdrick would be better suited to, say, a TGS reveal in Japan, where his primary audience is the one watching and the ones who would be blown away.

Erdrick not appearing at E3 isn't the end, but in fact him being a TGS makes more sense to me than him showing up there. That's where he'll be appreciated by everybody, not regarded with confusion by the public at large. Granted, Erdrick DOES have fans in the States and other locations, but relative to even other Smash fandoms, let alone the general public, which is who Nintendo wants to sell this pass to, they aren't that much. A September character reveal is entirely possible, if not quite likely, and I think a TGS reveal while framing it as a loose video for the western world would make more sense than trying to sell a character who's a virtual unknown to a mass audience while the people who WOULD care won't know for a while. Given, of course, there's no other specific reason that mandates that Erdrick must be the E3 reveal (Square demanded it or else they would pull the rights to Cloud, the reveal trailers for 3/4/5 all feature Erdrick, Sakurai just couldn't wait, or maybe something else).

This is written with the assumption that the leakers are completely infallible in regards to Erdrick. I don't believe in leakbait, at least in regards to Smash, but there's nothing saying that the guys who've been leaking Erdrick aren't somehow mistaken.

As an aside, I already feel bad for Erdrick and Banjo's fanbases. Assuming we get one reveal, then one of them is going to be treated as the "winner" who will be attacking the "loser" and their fanbase. If it's neither, hoo boy, those two will both be treated like crap for a long time.
Only problem I see is that Nintendo doesn't seem to be the type to go to TGS. Then again, I'm also the type who thinks the Luminary would be a better choice for a DQ rep since he's the most recent protag and therefore fresher in everyone's minds (it also helps that A. DQXI is getting a Switch version and B. Luminary is more well known in the West while still be very popular in Japan)

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Banjo's fanbases
Assuming Banjo and not Steve

I find Erdrick an extremely peculiar character for them to include at E3. The Erdrick we all discuss, the Dragon Quest 3 Hero, is somebody who is a complete nobody outside of Japan
To be fair, Smash is the same series that ended their last DLC with Bayonetta, a relatively small franchise, and Corrin who was barely known as a character in any territory. Them making interesting choices is nothing new.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I have to agree that Erdrick would be an odd pick for the E3, reveal considering how perfectly suited Joker was to The Game Awards. E3 mostly has western eyes turned to it, with a western crowd interacting with the showfloor afterwards. Last E3 even went with Ridley as its major character reveal, a characteristically western request.

We're less than 12 hours away from the truth, though, so I guess we'll see. Here's hoping for Banjo.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I have to agree that Erdrick would be an odd pick for the E3, reveal considering how perfectly suited Joker was to The Game Awards. E3 mostly has western eyes turned to it, with a western crowd interacting with the showfloor afterwards. Last E3 even went with Ridley as its major character reveal, a characteristically western request.

We're less than 12 hours away from the truth, though, so I guess we'll see. Here's hoping for Banjo.
Cue someone bringing up E3 2014 even though I still somewhat believe it was a combination of wanting to show off custom moves (which ended up being a bust in the long run) and possible bias (I think early Smash 4 was around that period where there was a lot of **** taken from Kid Icarus Uprising. Still, in hindsight, Pac-Man would've been the better header instead of a closed door thing)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It would be weird to reveal Erdrick at E3, especially considering that he's a nobody outside of Japan and E3 tends to cater more to Western audiences.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It would be weird to reveal Erdrick at E3, especially considering that he's a nobody outside of Japan and E3 tends to cater more to Western audiences.
He's not a ****ing nobody out of Japan, Dragon Warrior was big on the NES and the first game was given away with Nintendo Power subscriptions. The remakes all got segments in Nintendo Directs. They had a good amount of sales on the Game Boy Color too and the DQ Monsters games did well too. People know what Dragon Quest is, so cut this **** narrative out.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He's not a ****ing nobody out of Japan, Dragon Warrior was big on the NES and the first game was given away with Nintendo Power subscriptions. The remakes all got segments in Nintendo Directs. They had a good amount of sales on the Game Boy Color too and the DQ Monsters games did well too. People know what Dragon Quest is, so cut this **** narrative out.
Dragon Quest isn't very popular outside of Japan. Apparently, 93% of all copies of Dragon Quest games are sold in Japan. They would be better off revealing him at an event that caters more to the Japanese.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest isn't very popular outside of Japan. Apparently, 93% of all copies of Dragon Quest games are sold in Japan. They would be better off revealing him at an event that caters more to the Japanese.
Even if DQ sells better in Japan, it still sells better than a lot of other JRPGs and popular games with the fandom in the west.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It might be a little weird to reveal him on his own at E3, but having him be available after the presentation, or announcing him alongside another character, would make up for that, I'd think.

Plus, it seems like an effective way to get a large audience of people to look into the Dragon Quest games. Also, it wouldn't be the only time that E3 reveals were handled in an unusual manner - remember when the Mii Fighters and Palutena were revealed in the E3 Direct, only for them to reveal Pac-Man, one of the best-known characters in video gaming and the mascot of Namco-Bandai, in a closed-doors press-only event later that day?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, he's a nobody outside of Japan.

Dragon Quest is known outside of Japan.

That has nothing to do with Erdrick, a very specific character, who is extremely obscure except in Japan.

You're talking about a completely different narrative here. Read Riley's post again. He was not talking about an issue with it being a DQ character whatsoever. He not only doesn't mention the games having issues being known, he doesn't even mention the games as an issue. What he actually said was the character was a virtual unknown.

None of your points prove that in any way wrong(and fans are well aware he's a virtual unknown outside of Japan, they just don't believe that'll matter at all, which is a fair opinion to have).

It might be a little weird to reveal him on his own at E3, but having him be available after the presentation, or announcing him alongside another character, would make up for that, I'd think.

Plus, it seems like an effective way to get a large audience of people to look into the Dragon Quest games. Also, it wouldn't be the only time that E3 reveals were handled in an unusual manner - remember when the Mii Fighters and Palutena were revealed in the E3 Direct, only for them to reveal Pac-Man, one of the best-known characters in video gaming and the mascot of Namco-Bandai, in a closed-doors press-only event later that day?
That'd still be weird either way. It wouldn't be weird to reveal an actual worldwide Dragon Quest character, like Luminary, who just got talked about yesterday, though. That's not just perfect coincidental timing, but the character is still a Hero Class and very popular anyway.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, he's a nobody outside of Japan.

Dragon Quest is known outside of Japan.

That has nothing to do with Erdrick, a very specific character, who is extremely obscure except in Japan.

You're talking about a completely different narrative here. Read Riley's post again. He was not talking about an issue with it being a DQ character whatsoever. He not only doesn't mention the games having issues being known, he doesn't even mention the games as an issue. What he actually said was the character was a virtual unknown.

None of your points prove that in any way wrong(and fans are well aware he's a virtual unknown outside of Japan, they just don't believe that'll matter at all, which is a fair opinion to have).

That'd still be weird either way. It wouldn't be weird to reveal an actual worldwide Dragon Quest character, like Luminary, who just got talked about yesterday, though. That's not just perfect coincidental timing, but the character is still a Hero Class and very popular anyway.
God, I just don't think it's true. In the internet age it takes a five second Google search for Dragon Quest to learn that Erdrick is a major lore figure in the series. Luminary is probably more know do to recency, yeah, but any person with passing interest in the series knows there are legendary heroes and that Erdrick is the prominent one. I hadn't touched a DQ game until this year and even I was thinking they'd add Erdrick back in the Sm4sh days. I don't think it's weird at all to reveal that character. Strength of a series can contribute as well. Sure, I was freaking out over Richter, but I know most people just saw him as Oh Cool Another Castlevania Character.

Maybe I'm just too old man, I remember when the Ice Climbers were revealed and after five seconds of "who?" it took a quick sidebar in NGC Magazine saying "here's who these guys are" to get people to accept it and move on and get excited because hey, it was more Smash. I don't think the perceived relevance or known-ness of a character matters anymore when information about the character is a click away. Or less than that if they do the whole "[Nintendo Direct Guy Voice] The Legendary Hero of Dragon Quest, Erdrick, Joins The Battle!" thing.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Erdrick would do fine, even if he isn’t known, DQ is, and the unique art style of the series will carry his reveal and get the point across that this is a DQ character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
God, I just don't think it's true. In the internet age it takes a five second Google search for Dragon Quest to learn that Erdrick is a major lore figure in the series. Luminary is probably more know do to recency, yeah, but any person with passing interest in the series knows there are legendary heroes and that Erdrick is the prominent one. I hadn't touched a DQ game until this year and even I was thinking they'd add Erdrick back in the Sm4sh days. I don't think it's weird at all to reveal that character. Strength of a series can contribute as well. Sure, I was freaking out over Richter, but I know most people just saw him as Oh Cool Another Castlevania Character.

Maybe I'm just too old man, I remember when the Ice Climbers were revealed and after five seconds of "who?" it took a quick sidebar in NGC Magazine saying "here's who these guys are" to get people to accept it and move on and get excited because hey, it was more Smash. I don't think the perceived relevance or known-ness of a character matters anymore when information about the character is a click away. Or less than that if they do the whole "[Nintendo Direct Guy Voice] The Legendary Hero of Dragon Quest, Erdrick, Joins The Battle!" thing.
Sorry, but it's true.

Reality is, people don't know who Erdrick is because he's not really advertised as a key character outside of Japan. It's not a focus being done on him.

DQ is focused more on mechanics and monsters in comparison in the US. Luminary is one of the few Heroes given actual proper focus.

If you expect people to suddenly research a character they've never heard of, you're asking for way too much. The only reason they would bother is to look for moveset ideas. Not everybody played DQIII either. The first proper appear of Erdrick. Some might've slightly heard his name due to the items in DQ 1 and 2, sure. But that means little. Those games don't really go into the lore of who it belongs to, so they don't have a reason to care beyond the fact they're useful equipment.

You're asking for too much here. For Erdrick to actually be known in the US to any real degree, that would require him to be advertised as important with other DQ games. But he's not here, so it's no surprise people don't know of him. Coupled with the game being the hardest NES game(of the three) to find, and you have yourself in a pickle. He's not going to realistically do very well in the US. Corrin almost didn't, but at least had the fact he was another FE character backing him up, and people knew that series well, plus it was very hot at the time. So Corrin got lucky. Erdrick's in not as good as a position, as DQ is still not as hot as FE is in the US. They're vastly more likely to go with Luminary at this point(or Slime), since they're already vastly known in all regions. Not even as an advertisement pick either. They just plain will sell better.

Plus, they are given the title Erdrick at the end of the game. Which actually explains Tansut's weird information. We're getting an Erdrick, just not the Erdrick people thought of. Just the one who has a remote chance of selling overseas.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
And, I mean, this isn't me saying "Erdrick, defined as the Dragon Quest III hero, won't appear", just that "It'd be a little more sensible to get a reveal at or around TGS if one of them is Erdrick, the Dragon Quest III hero".

So he would still get in, it just doesn't have to be E3 is all. Like how many are expecting Banjo or Steve to ride-or-die at E3.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We are at the mercy of Nintendo and Sakurai, so only we can do is predict and wait.

Nothing else can be done at this point.
Screenshot_20190611-001014_YouTube.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom