• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
I find myself frequently dismissing Touhou for some reason, yet it's been going on for so long and has a very large following. Maybe it is because it's such a niche demographic? I'm not an otaku so I have no clue.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I find myself frequently dismissing Touhou for some reason, yet it's been going on for so long and has a very large following. Maybe it is because it's such a niche demographic? I'm not an otaku so I have no clue.
Outside of japan yes its more niche, still somewhat a niche in Japan though. ZUN allows the fans freedom to create numerous fan works, whereas bigger name companies would try to shut that down. This amount of freedom is mainly how it became popular in the first place. There has been a large fan base in western countries but you have to know where to look to find them. In the past it was difficult to find the games if you lived in western countries, but ZUN still allowed people to upload the games onto the internet for people to download if you lived in the west.

Reimu can bring unique mechanics into Smash that no other character can bring, which is one of the main reasons people support her. This is because of how Touhou games work with both bullet hell and the fighting games. Making a move set for Reimu will be extremely easy due to 6 official fighting games all have Reimu in them as playable character.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Imagine not getting a Microsoft rep, how you think the community would react?
I'd be super surprised, but I don't think I'd mind either way. The only reason I'm hoping we get one is because that's what will define whether I buy the Fighter Pass (If it's anyone that isn't Steve that means I'm safe, but I don't want to buy it and end up paying for him)
So, honest question: what's the current general consensus regarding the Google Theory? Don't know what's everyone's conclusion on it.
Personally, fake or real, I'd say its line-up is fine, I just think the way it's presented (Google ads, seriously?) just makes it not possible for me.
It's hella fake.

andree123

Smash Ace
So far, we had two sources that there will be a 2nd Fighters Pass DLC.

This picture originally came from Banjo and Kazooie support thread but in my opinion, it is most likely misinformation that was actually supposed to be for Steve (Minecraft) being one of the candidates for the 2nd fighters pass, another reason is because I am one of the people who believe that Duck Hunt Century smash save SD card corruption glitch has possible leftovers when Duck Hunt is used as a base for Banjo.

Just in case if the image is broken for you
There was another earlier rumor that the 2nd fighters pass may have ATs becoming fighters, if one or more new Golden Sun games are in the works, Isaac will join in the 2nd fighters pass as a playable.

Last edited:

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
I'm withholding any hopes for a second fighter pass until after the current one runs its course or we hear definitive confirmation otherwise. It just feels too early to already have plans for more DLC when the current batch isn't even finished being developed. We still have a whole 4 fighters to speculate over, why worry about anything more yet?

D

Deleted member

This picture originally came from Banjo and Kazooie support thread but in my opinion, it is most likely misinformation that was actually supposed to be for Steve (Minecraft) being one of the candidates for the 2nd fighters pass, another reason is because I am one of the people who believe that Duck Hunt Century smash save SD card corruption glitch has possible leftovers when Duck Hunt is used as a base for Banjo.

There was another earlier rumor that the 2nd fighters pass may have ATs becoming fighters, if one or more new Golden Sun games are in the works, Isaac will join in the 2nd fighters pass as a playable.

No rumor about a 2nd Fighter Pass happening should be taken seriously.

Wait until such a thing is said by Nintendo themselves after February 2020 comes.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

No rumor about a 2nd Fighter Pass happening should be taken seriously.

Wait until such a thing is said by Nintendo themselves after February 2020 comes.
Only reason I think a second pass could be a thing is because it wouldn't make sense to just stop a year into the game's life and 3 years into the Switch's life (a system Nintendo wants to last for 7-10 years), especially with the Switch being a huge success and Ultimate being the best selling fighting game of all time (unless you count both Smash 4 versions and all the Street fighter 2 versions as one game). Sure, Smash 4 only had a year's worth of DLC, but the DLC season for that game ended a year before the Wii U (which was pretty much a commercial failure) was discontinued and the Switch came out.

D

Deleted member

Only reason I think a second pass could be a thing is because it wouldn't make sense to just stop a year into the game's life and 3 years into the Switch's life (a system Nintendo wants to last for 7-10 years), especially with the Switch being a huge success and Ultimate being the best selling fighting game of all time (unless you count both Smash 4 versions and all the Street fighter 2 versions as one game). Sure, Smash 4 only had a year's worth of DLC, but the DLC season for that game ended a year before the Wii U (which was pretty much a commercial failure) was discontinued and the Switch came out.
All good things come to an end. Especially when the development team gets smaller and smaller with each released DLC.

D

Deleted member

First pic mentions IF remarked in uppercase as its something not set in stone, so I wouldn't count it as a sure thing. Plus regarding the AT, your pic says they are remaining as AT.
The more fighters you add, the more you need to work on issues like balance. Plus teams move to other projects.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that it is simply too early for the Smash team to think about a 2nd Fighter Pass. They're only 1/5 of the way through the first one.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Maxwell from Scribblenauts would be a pretty neat inclusion.

Shame he has next-to-no chance.
Maxwell is one of my most wanted characters that I know won’t make it in.

I love fighters like villager or Game&watch who use everything and the kitchen sink as apart of their moveset. Maxwell would be cranking that up to 11, he can literally use anything and everything. Heck he probably could hit you with an actual kitchen sink if he wanted to.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice

We really out here trusting IGC (indiegamerchick)? A person who only really seems to know about indie games and not much else? Cause if so then where's the N64 mini?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We really out here trusting IGC (indiegamerchick)? A person who only really seems to know about indie games and not much else? Cause if so then where's the N64 mini?
I personally don't have much reason to trust her either. She's closer to Microsoft than any other company as an indie game collection compiler of some sort, but even so, I wouldn't put too much water into what she says. Sabi trusts her to an extent, but then again (as much as I think Sabi's a pretty cool gal), she also trusted Xenother, who's since been deemed a total fraud. Not something I'd bank my chips on, really.

where is my n64 mini nintendo, i need it nintendo, where is it nintendo

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Would be funny if Nintendo decides to have music to represent Minecraft instead of a playable character. Similar to Tetris, Minecraft does have good music.

Creeper, Enderman, maybe the End Dragon could work as assist trophies

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Would be funny if Nintendo decides to have music to represent Minecraft instead of a playable character. Similar to Tetris, Minecraft does have good music.

Creeper, Enderman, maybe the End Dragon could work as assist trophies
Honestly, I think the best of both worlds scenario would be to have Banjo come with a Minecraft stage that's randomly assembled from pre-made chunks, kinda like Mario Maker.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think the best of both worlds scenario would be to have Banjo come with a Minecraft stage that's randomly assembled from pre-made chunks, kinda like Mario Maker.
I agree. A Minecraft stage like that would be really cool to see. Including music from both Banjo and Minecraft

SKX31

Smash Master
Something that was never guaranteed despite everyone's insistence that Microsoft playing nice with Nintendo means we're for sure getting Banjo or Steve?

Community would be stupid and get pissy.
Even though it's their own fault for setting expectations based around trivial things. :V
Yeah, there's a whole bevy of possible Western companies - enough for a theoretical "Western Pass" without MS - which is the big reason I don't think Microsoft's guarenteed:

* Ubisoft
* Bethesda
* Valve
* Activision
* Warner Bros. (through their ownership of Netherrealm, also has Scribblenauts)

All good things come to an end. Especially when the development team gets smaller and smaller with each released DLC.
As for that I'm of the opinion that it's too early to tell. Not only because we haven't even seen the 2nd out of the 5 characters - but also since Sakurai can decide between "I want to make a 2nd / 3rd Fighter Pass" or "I really don't want to make a 2nd / 3rd Fighter Pass". I'm not sure where to lean since Sakurai's a massive workhorse and relishes in working, but also enjoys his time off as per his statements.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not sure where to lean since Sakurai's a massive workhorse and relishes in working, but also enjoys his time off as per his statements.
Working on more DLC would be the perfect compromise, since it's much less work than a whole game.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Working on more DLC would be the perfect compromise, since it's much less work than a whole game.
Yeah, you know, I know, we all know that Japan's work force culture is nuts. If Sakurai doesn't work on DLC, he'll probably have to work on a new game, and that landed him with an IV drip at his office. DLC is probably the best scenario behind a total break, the latter of which probably isn't possible.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, there's a whole bevy of possible Western companies - enough for a theoretical "Western Pass" without MS - which is the big reason I don't think Microsoft's guarenteed:

* Ubisoft
* Bethesda
* Valve
* Activision
* Warner Bros. (through their ownership of Netherrealm, also has Scribblenauts)
throw in a wildcard out there and put Devolver Digital on that list too since they've ported a bunch of games to the Switch. A great amount of games from them could fit the ideal Indie Game rep as much as Shovel Knight or Shantae would.

The 1 thing I wonder about Warner Bros is if they're any different to Disney when it comes to licensing and stuff. I'm not really a big fan of the idea of Scorpion in Smash, but is he in a similar pickle with Sora because they're both owned by companies larger than those in the gaming industry? I don't usually see anyone bring that up whenever someone talks about Scorpion in Smash.

SKX31

Smash Master
throw in a wildcard out there and put Devolver Digital on that list too since they've ported a bunch of games to the Switch. A great amount of games from them could fit the ideal Indie Game rep as much as Shovel Knight or Shantae would.

The 1 thing I wonder about Warner Bros is if they're any different to Disney when it comes to licensing and stuff. I'm not really a big fan of the idea of Scorpion in Smash, but is he in a similar pickle with Sora because they're both owned by companies larger than those in the gaming industry? I don't usually see anyone bring that up whenever someone talks about Scorpion in Smash.
Nintendo's not above working with Universal (the Mario movie via Illumination* / Mario theme park) nor Warner Bros. (distribution of The Detective Pikachu film** / MK11 coming to the Switch) so I could see either or both of Scorpion and Sora getting in. Now, it should be noted that Smash's a different beast than other commitments, so I think your concern is warranted. As for how little Warner Bros. is talked about, I suspect that it's due to any noticeable overlap between MK and other WB stuff being contained to the Injustice guest appearances. Sora's case is a bit different when Donald and Goofy are his travel buddies for his three main games. Sora can work without any Disney elements yes (Edit: Changed my mind on that, can't recall who pointed it out to me though), but the Disney stuff is more tightly connected to Sora than any other WB stuff is connected to Scorpion.

*(The Sony email hack revealed that Nintendo was in talks with Sony about making the Mario movie, but that fell through. TIL.)
**(Legendary Pictures, who helped co-create Detective Pikachu, has the Chinese mega-giant Wanda Group as their parent company.)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In regards to the IndieGamerChick stuff, Sabi has confirmed that IGC said she's only heard Banjo-Kazooie; the person who told her this new info on Discord was from IGC's team, though...but it could be misinfo. Sabi also trusted Xenother, yes, but wasn't sure about what they were saying, just she knew they were being honest with what they heard.

You made good points there, well done.

In Japan its definitely more popular to point where it doesn't feel like an indie game anymore. The popularity is mainly due to the amount freedom the fans have when comes to fan made material. Still the amount of popularity is strong enough to get Reimu considered for smash, no matter how big the western fan base is. Hopefully ZUN will allow it since an official game is on the way to the switch. No doubt the front runner for bullet hell rep is Touhou.

One thing i forgot to mention is that since Touhou already has official fighting games with Reimu and Marisa being playable in all 6. So Reimu already has quite of few options available for Sakurai to use for movesets and mechanically be more unique than Steve. Not sure what Steve can bring into smash that would be unique mechanically and as a character. I mean hell, Marisa is popular enough that she could be in smash instead of Reimu, 99% likely it will be Reimu though.
Agreed. From the recent shareholder Q&A, Nintendo wants to prioritize appealing to as diverse of a demographic as possible. And what you say is true - while Touhou is niche compared to Minecraft, Reimu's inclusion would definitely be turning a lot of heads that Steve wouldn't even be able to touch. And considering the current demographic shift with the Switch, I'm quite confident that we're getting an otaku-appealing rep, whether it be Reimu, Saber, Miku or Katalina. I'm personally hoping for Reimu.
I'm sure a character from Touhou could be unique based on what I've seen, but Steve could be unique by using blocks or any of the unique items from Minecraft; there's lot's of things he could do. Not that it matters, because they're completely unrelated to each other.

And I'm certain he would turn a lot of heads as well, due to how many people like the game and possibly haven't bought Smash (though I'm sure there's some overlap with Smash as well, which is already apparent with some wanting Steve on twitter among other places such as this site, but I guess that's for everything).

Plus, Steve wouldn't be competing with Reimu or any other indie character, as Minecraft isn't an indie anymore, anyway (plus, as I said, they're unrelated). Even if it was, there's a possibility Sakurai doesn't care about representing indies with a single character, as he'd consider the character and their game alone instead of looking for someone to fill some made-up "indie" quota, as I'm sure he doesn't look for characters to fill some quota for a specific genre, either. He likely goes for who he thinks would be good characters among other reasons, but we have no way of knowing if he chooses anyone based on representing something other than the character's game itself (the only exception I recall is Pac-Man, who still mostly takes from his own arcade games and is the most-iconic character from Namco at least among their arcade).

Of course, Nintendo has influence over who is chosen this time around (at least, it seems, more than they have had before, if at all), but I'm sure some of this stuff would apply to them as well. If we're basing who's likely on who Nintendo may want to attract, Minecraft certainly has one of the largest crowds available (though I believe Banjo-Kazooie may get in instead, which would make me happy as well, as they may be chosen as a fan-pick or to appeal to some of the older crowd or Microsoft fans who likely found their game through gamepass, and what they've been getting recently seems to show Microsoft has plans for them, since their games are even being put on those demo-things in stores).

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Smash Bros's strategy could be to compete with Sony:
- Metal Gear: in recovery attempt from Sony.
- DLC Final Fantasy: in recovery attempt from Sony.
- DLC Bayonetta: in recovery attempt from Microsoft and Sony.
- DLC Persona: in recovery attempt from Sony.

- Dragon Quest: shared in Sony and Nintendo.
- Minecraft: shared in Sony and Nintendo.
- Resident Evil: in recovery attempt from Sony.
- Monster Hunter: shared in Sony and Nintendo.
- Yakuza: Sega hit from Sony.
etc.

A second half, with Pac-Man, Mega Man, Simon, Ryu and Sonic, would remain representative big icons of Nintendo and Sonic Team.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

etc.

A second half, with Pac-Man, Mega Man, Simon, Ryu and Sonic, would remain representative big icons of Nintendo and Sonic Team.
I don't think that's likely.

D

Deleted member

etc.

What's next? Devil May cry?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I highly doubt that they would base most of their third party decisions on ways to compete with Sony. Also, I highly doubt that there will be 2 Sega characters in the Fighter Pass.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or does the “brave” code name seems a little vague? There are multiple genres and series of video games where bravery is a theme. Survival games, Bullet Hells, shooters, adventures, etc...

Its feels like using a code name like "brave" is being used on purpose with the intent of throwing us off to the point where there is a high chance where the character is actually one most of the people don't expect. It may be not be Erdrick as many are expecting, it could be Reimu, Sora, Monster Hunter, Steve, Another Zelda character, too many characters to consider. I get some are still more likely than others, still can't help but wonder if it this was really an intentional and clever move by Nintendo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is it just me or does the “brave” code name seems a little vague? There are multiple genres and series of video games where bravery is a theme. Survival games, Bullet Hells, shooters, adventures, etc...

Its feels like using a code name like "brave" is being used on purpose with the intent of throwing us off to the point where there is a high chance where the character is actually one most of the people don't expect. It may be not be Erdrick as many are expecting, it could be Reimu, Sora, Monster Hunter, Steve, Another Zelda character, too many characters to consider. I get some are still more likely than others, still can't help but wonder if it this was really an intentional and clever move by Nintendo.
Yeah. A whole bunch of characters can fit the name and the stats.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I'll say it again: They could've just picked a word that starts with the second letter of the alphabet to match the second FP character.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Makes me wonder if they'd intend to be all smart with a codename, but still somehow mess up by having the data discoverable through extreme datamining, to then remove it after word got out.

Assuming they definitely mean the English word "brave", maybe it could be an quirky name for a character of seemingly incapable, underwhelming qualities for the fight.

Like the Chorus Kids of Rhythm Paradise who aren't usually versed in fighting and

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Crackpot theory: What if "brave" is a reference to the fighter, but not via definition? What if the important part of it is what the word "brave" is - an adjective-. Brave is Maxwell.

D

Deleted member

Dunno, but at some points it seems people try to fit the codename "brave" to ther picks rather than actually seeking characters more related to the term.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dunno, but at some points it seems people try to fit the codename "brave" to ther picks rather than actually seeking characters more related to the term.
It doesn't help our codenames for other stuff is all over the place. So it's kind of hard to tell what they're going for with zero consistency otherwise.

That said, I know of the codenames Jack, Jane, Packun, Doyle, and Brave. Did any of the other Persona 5 characters have a codename? At least Jane has a possibility of being Kasumi(and being she's meant to be kind of a female counterpart to Joker overall, the name being a Jane Doe thing makes a lot of sense). Jack, unlike Doyle, is not as clear. Was it meant to be that the Persona 5 characters are based upon various fictional character names? Is Jack a playing card reference? Is he about his abilities of being a Jack-of-all-Trades? We don't know. We have little to tie the Jack name together with Joker at this point(that's concrete, anyway). This means we can't even say Brave is meant to be an adjective. It's a likely scenario, but it could be a synonym for Courage and intended to be super mysterious and apply to tons of possibilities. Or maybe it's more significant. I'd like to believe it is, but until I know more of the Persona 5 cast(the question I asked a bit earlier), I'm far more skeptical on Brave relating to something significant right now.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't help our codenames for other stuff is all over the place. So it's kind of hard to tell what they're going for with zero consistency otherwise.

That said, I know of the codenames Jack, Jane, Packun, Doyle, and Brave. Did any of the other Persona 5 characters have a codename? At least Jane has a possibility of being Kasumi(and being she's meant to be kind of a female counterpart to Joker overall, the name being a Jane Doe thing makes a lot of sense). Jack, unlike Doyle, is not as clear. Was it meant to be that the Persona 5 characters are based upon various fictional character names? Is Jack a playing card reference? Is he about his abilities of being a Jack-of-all-Trades? We don't know. We have little to tie the Jack name together with Joker at this point(that's concrete, anyway). This means we can't even say Brave is meant to be an adjective. It's a likely scenario, but it could be a synonym for Courage and intended to be super mysterious and apply to tons of possibilities. Or maybe it's more significant. I'd like to believe it is, but until I know more of the Persona 5 cast(the question I asked a bit earlier), I'm far more skeptical on Brave relating to something significant right now.
P5 characters codenames in the Smash game files are the same as in P5 (i.e. Anne = Panther, Ryuju = Skull, etc). Really the only ones with different codenames are Joker and Arsene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

Yeah, and the only reasons people are connecting it to Erdrick tends to be a combination of noticing how the Japanese word for Brave is also the Japanese word for Hero (default DQ protag name) and because people still believe Vergeben's word regarding DLC

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
P5 characters codenames in the Smash game files are the same as in P5 (i.e. Anne = Panther, Ryuju = Skull, etc). Really the only ones with different codenames are Joker and Arsene.
Then that sounds like it's pretty much still name-based.

Which means Jack probably was a reference to Jack Frost too.

This is the funny thing; Brave has zero correlation to any of the others. This means it's far more mysterious than we thought. I wouldn't put any stock into it being all that meaningful if none of the other codenames were some kind of "class" description at all. Being something entirely new, it's probably meant to be completely meaningless so nobody can figure it out.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
People are deluding themselves if they don't think each codename is extremely specific to their respective character.

Packu is derived from Pirahna Plant's Japanese name, Pakkun Flower.

Jack is widely believed/accepted to tie in with Jack Frost in SMT/Persona (dataminers had the game even before the official release/reveal at the Game Awards, though it wasn't made known to the public until much later), seen as a mascot for Atlus. Additionally it fits with the naming scheme, as it could be seen as a reference to King, Queen, JACK, Joker.

Even Arsene has an oddly specific codename, referred to in game as Doyle (the character being named after Arsène Lupin, which had a crossover with Sherlock Holmes, whose author was Arthur Conan Doyle).

Jane could be some leftover/placebo thing, or it could have been a scrapped concept (the ponytail artifact/theory just caught on because a lot of people thought it would be cool/a good tie in with P5R).

Very few would make the connections just based on the names alone if they were to be leaked, hence why I think they're going with this naming scheme. Brave isn't trying to throw any of us off, it likely is as simple as it seems. But only time will tell for sure.

Edit: hadn't refreshed in a while, didn't see the last couple of posts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom