• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But even then, I doubt that Activision will go with Skylanders at all since the series isn’t as successful at the moment as Crash or Spyro are.
In that case I'd immagine they'd go with his design in the reignited trilogy if they chose Spyro over Crash for some reason. I wonder what palate swaps they'd get. I assume Spyro would get a darker purple and a red one, and that Crash would also have Coco (at least I think that's her name) as an alternate costume, but other than that I have no idea.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Spyro actually already has a bunch of pallet swaps in his game already through cheat codes, I'd imagine it would be remake colored Spyro, og colored Spyro and then the cheat code colors and a sunglass alt.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Spyro actually already has a bunch of pallet swaps in his game already through cheat codes, I'd imagine it would be remake colored Spyro, og colored Spyro and then the cheat code colors and a sunglass alt.
I just looked up the cheat codes. If they used these I hope they omit the purple one to make room for the sunglasses alt (in this hypothetical situation). I also hope they make each color a bit less monochromatic since some of them are a bit gaudy otherwise. Especially the yellow one.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If they wanted to do Coco as an alt instead of an echo, like if they took the Crash/Coco thing in N Sane like different genders in Fire Emblem and other games (?), thatd be totally cool too. The Japanese Crash design would be great too, previously being playable in Boom Bang if you were using the Japan version and CTTR, both significantly in the Japan version and using a cheat code in other versions.

D

Deleted member

If they wanted to do Coco as an alt instead of an echo, like if they took the Crash/Coco thing in N Sane like different genders in Fire Emblem and other games (?), thatd be totally cool too. The Japanese Crash design would be great too, previously being playable in Boom Bang if you were using the Japan version and CTTR, both significantly in the Japan version and using a cheat code in other versions.
I love Coco Bandicoot.

So I support the idea.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
15 DLC characters all in all seems reasonable for a 3 year cycle honestly, if that 2 more Figgers Pass' rumor is true I wouldn't be surprised. The Switch has been out for only two years, and if Smash Ultimateis this consoles only Smash title, then I can see them wanting to profit off of it throughout the Switch's life cycle. By 2022 the Switch will only be 5 years old and consoles have recently been making it to the 6-8 year life cycle. Barring the Wii U, I mean.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
General consensus is that we're only getting one rep per company in the DLC, right? Or is that technically another tradition that has yet to be broken but very well could be? We have gotten two reps from the same company in the same game before, and what do you know, it's this one! (I regressed to bargaining. I was at acceptance, now I'm back at bargaining.)

D

Deleted member

I'd personally like to see either Terry Bogard, Mega Man X or Chun-Li.

Put that knife down.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
General consensus is that we're only getting one rep per company in the DLC, right? Or is that technically another tradition that has yet to be broken but very well could be? We have gotten two reps from the same company in the same game before, and what do you know, it's this one! (I regressed to bargaining. I was at acceptance, now I'm back at bargaining.)
Same thing happened with Mega Man and Ryu in Smash For...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A Coco Bandicoot skin would require effort, which means it almost certainly wouldn't happen.
I dunno, Smash likes to add as many female options as possible. They could add Coco for that reason. Alternatively they could reject her because their proportions are slightly different. I'd imagine there are some situations where Crash would be decked in the shnoz while Coco would be completely fine. (Or they could just not feel like not making all those denim textures. I dunno)

Same thing happened with Mega Man and Ryu in Smash For...
Super Smash Bros. for Ampersand is my favorite smash game!

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
In addition to Solaire, I wonder what other FromSoftware characters could work in Smash. Maybe Sekiro even though he isn't coming to Switch? A character where parrying proves essential/ important for his/her success could prove interesting. Not to mention his multi-tool arm as well. He feels like a character that could easily be transferred over into Smash Bros, even moreso than a Dark Souls rep.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think there won't be repetitions within a single Fighter Pass. With a hypothetical second and third I wouldn't say it's impossible (there's five third party companies on Smash, so hypothetically we could get three of each), but between Nintendo characters and unrepresented third parties (Bethesda, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard, Level-5, Tecmo Koei, SNK, Sony?) I would expect them to spread out choices rather than double dip.

Though you'd still have to convince me that Sega would go with Arle over a second Sonic character or even Kiryu.

SKX31

Smash Master
To my knowledge only Master Chief and Dante have been deconfirmed. Doom Slayer would be news to me.
To sound (kinda) like a broken record, I'm with Chinderblock's thoughs on the matter in the Master Chief thread:

That's exactly what it means. It's confirmed nobody is in playable state or released. He cannot know.

Don't get me wrong, they might be slightly different statements. He might already know the negotiations fell through, and then is saying he later on downloaded the game and obviously he wouldn't be there(spirit or otherwise). Twitter is kind of bad at allowing paragraphs due to a very low amount of words available. It's really easy for people to write things poorly. Hence why the context appears to be specifically that he knows from downloading the game only, and nothing else.

It's not a good confirmation he's out of the running due to how confusing the statement is, basically. But more importantly, we know that Joker could not have been playable. There's no good reason to believe anybody else was remotely ready(bar maybe Piranha Plant, but he's not part of the other 5 choices that Joker is).
This as opposed to Dante (Gotta get a DMC game on Switch before we talk Smash, according to Itsuno) and Hat Kid ("We wish she was in Smash, but nope she ain't" basically), where specific reasons are given. Master Chief's case sounds a lot like a decon, but isn't a good decon not just because of how vague the tweet is (and we're not given a specific reason), but also because Microsoft and 343 could be under NDA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd personally like to see either Terry Bogard, Mega Man X or Chun-Li.

Put that knife down.
I don't know who Terry is, but I would like to see X and Chun-Li too.

I may prefer to see Crash/Coco and Eight, but those picks are cool for me too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To sound (kinda) like a broken record, I'm with Chinderblock's thoughs on the matter in the Master Chief thread:

This as opposed to Dante (Gotta get a DMC game on Switch before we talk Smash, according to Itsuno) and Hat Kid ("We wish she was in Smash, but nope she ain't" basically), where specific reasons are given. Master Chief's case sounds a lot like a decon, but isn't a good decon not just because of how vague the tweet is (and we're not given a specific reason), but also because Microsoft and 343 could be under NDA.
That's all predicated on the idea that Frank O'Connor, the guy who directs development of the franchise either wouldn't know how the franchise is developing or is being interpreted in such an obtuse, literal way that the clear implication is being discarded in favour of prolonging the hope that something obvious isn't what it means.

He said Master Chief isn't DLC. To take that to mean "well he's not DLC available RIGHT NOW" or to blame it on NDA even though his response was an impromptu reply to a tweet he wasn't even tagged in (and that wasn't even asking the question) is honestly grasping at straws.

I'll gladly run it all back if I'm eventually wrong, but this is one of the most straightforward deconfirmations out there, no reason required.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Assuming we do get another wave or two of fighters for DLC (keep expectations reasonable, it may just be the Fighter's Pass, I guess support it if you want more), they might add in a bunch more new third parties like SNK, Activision, Bethesda, etc. and make "Everyone is Here" virtually even more impossible in the future than it already was lol. But hey, if Nintendo and Sakurai would want such a "go all out" thing for this special Smash iteration, I'm along for the ride!

SKX31

Smash Master
That's all predicated on the idea that Frank O'Connor, the guy who directs development of the franchise either wouldn't know how the franchise is developing or is being interpreted in such an obtuse, literal way that the clear implication is being discarded in favour of prolonging the hope that something obvious isn't what it means.

He said Master Chief isn't DLC. To take that to mean "well he's not DLC available RIGHT NOW" or to blame it on NDA even though his response was an impromptu reply to a tweet he wasn't even tagged in (and that wasn't even asking the question) is honestly grasping at straws.

I'll gladly run it all back if I'm eventually wrong, but this is one of the most straightforward deconfirmations out there, no reason required.
Yea, I can see that.

My big reason for doubting the tweet is precisely because it came out of the blue. With how rumours have swirled around Nintendo and Microsoft, an NDA is not out of the question. If talks did happen and those resulted in something, then Frank has little leeway either way. Even if that is something minor like new Minecraft skins or minor Xbox Live support on the Switch for now. And building things up very slowly. Which I personally find most likely.

Am I grasping at straws? To a large extent, yes. There's just a nagging feeling in my head that the the tweet is not all what it seems. Could just be keeping a ridicolous sense of hope alive. It's not like I completely reject the probability of complete decon. If you ask me, the tweet could deconfirm, but it also could mean not much at all. Either way the tweet covers the bases.

I do agree that Chief's chances only become a major possibility if MCC (or a Halo side game) comes to the Switch, either via Game Pass or its own release. Still, I'm not ruling Chief out if Nintendo and Microsoft have something big in store this coming GDC / E3. Keyword being if in both cases.

In the end, we don't know what's happening behind the scenes. We don't know if it's the minor stuff I mentioned earlier, or something bigger like a Microsoft character (probably Steve) in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe Sekiro even though he isn't coming to Switch?
Who?
Terry is the main character of the King of Fighters series, a very popular fighting game series that seems to be overshadowed by the likes of Street Fighter and Tekken in this day and age. His latest appearance was in SNK Heroines-a game that looks like a shallow "look at all these cute girls!" type game-in which he was genderbent. I don't even know the character that well but I still feel like he deserved better.

D

Deleted member

Who?

Terry is the main character of the King of Fighters series, a very popular fighting game series that seems to be overshadowed by the likes of Street Fighter and Tekken in this day and age. His latest appearance was in SNK Heroines-a game that looks like a shallow "look at all these cute girls!" type game-in which he was genderbent. I don't even know the character that well but I still feel like he deserved better.
I still have to try SNK stuff.
But first, I have to check a game from them that I would really want to buy over other ones.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still have to try SNK stuff.
But first, I have to check a game from them that I would really want to buy over other ones.
If you have a Wii, I'd recommend looking into the King of Fighters Collection - the Orochi Saga. It's the first five games in one pack, with the fifth game (KOF98) being a "Dream Match" game (kind of like Smash Ultimate for the King of Fighters series up to that point, though at least seven characters were missing) that's light on story.

A re-release of King of Fighters 98, Ultimate Match, adds those seven characters, and it's available for download on the Xbox and Playstation marketplaces.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you have a Wii, I'd recommend looking into the King of Fighters Collection - the Orochi Saga. It's the first five games in one pack, with the fifth game (KOF98) being a "Dream Match" game (kind of like Smash Ultimate for the King of Fighters series up to that point, though at least seven characters were missing) that's light on story.
I will see if I find the title somewhere in the island.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I will see if I find the title somewhere in the island.
The Switch also has a LOT of SNK fighting games available for download. I'd recommend King of Fighters 98, though maybe King of Fighters 95 would be less complicated to get into due to the smaller roster. (King of Fighters 94 was the first one, but it was a bit of an oddball in the series; teams were fixed to three specific characters, instead of being able to pick and choose each individual member)

D

Deleted member

I may prefer to see Crash/Coco and Eight, but those picks are cool for me too.
Terry Bogard is a character from SNK's Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series. He's considered to be the unofficial mascot of SNK.

Ornl

Smash Ace
What about a Metal Slug character out of SNK reps? It's a quite popular series.
On this forum, the RTC thread gave SNK rep. ≈ 25% chance, ≈ 5,5% chance for Terry Bogard. When I think about what Metal Slug was originally, I think back to graphic design and animation. And then there was a 3D episode that showed everyone has their limits. There hasn't been a new Metal Slug on console since 2008, but the license continues on mobile phones.

D

Deleted member

I mean since we can't have anime characters, we could put K9999 from KoF in there as a substitute for Tetsuo Shima lol.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
On talk of SNK, this user thinks you can’t include an SNK character without including an “SNK Boss”. Put the infamous Rugal Bernstein in Smash!

Sekiro from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Why not use a search engine next time?

Though he isn’t on a Nintendo platform, is too recent, and is perhaps too brutal, Sekiro, while holding true to his gameplay mechanics (perfectly-timed parrying and dodging, being able to stagger an enemy’s focus and initiating a brutal punish when you parry an enemy’s attack enough times (the enemy can do the same to Sekiro), multi-tool arm with grappling hooks, shields, and assorted weapons), is IMO, the easiest FromSoftware representative to implement in a Smash Bros. setting.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
15 DLC characters all in all seems reasonable for a 3 year cycle honestly, if that 2 more Figgers Pass' rumor is true I wouldn't be surprised. The Switch has been out for only two years, and if Smash Ultimateis this consoles only Smash title, then I can see them wanting to profit off of it throughout the Switch's life cycle. By 2022 the Switch will only be 5 years old and consoles have recently been making it to the 6-8 year life cycle. Barring the Wii U, I mean.
Where did you hear that there will be 2 more Fighter Passes?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Only for characters that have no set gender in their games of origin. Other than that? No, it hasn't happened for anyone but Lucina.
Lucina ended up being pushed to a separate slot as an Echo Fighter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sekiro from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Why not use a search engine next time?
Didn't feel like it. I also only had a first name to go off of so I could have gotten anything (Well...not in this situation but I didn't know that).

Though he isn’t on a Nintendo platform, is too recent, and is perhaps too brutal...
I don't think brutality really detracts from a character but I doubt Nintendo would pick a 3rd party character that hasn't even made it's debut yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Terry is actually the protagonist of Fatal Fury. He also appears in KoF and just happens to be more popular than its own protagonist.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
On the topic of SNK, I did a really big write-up on the RTC thread not too long ago about the chances of us getting an SNK character. It took me over 2 days to write so I encourage you all to check it out.

In a nutshell, I think an SNK character in Smash is far from impossible considering:
  • The legacy of the NEO GEO.
  • SNK's main FG competition (Tekken & Mortal Kombat) seeming less likely to appear in Smash.
  • SNK being very open with their IPs (Geese in Tekken 7, Mai in DoA 5+6, and Terry in EX Fighting Layer to name a few).
  • Increasing relations with Nintendo recently (including a proposed offer to make SNK Heroines a Switch exclusive).
  • SNK being insanely popular in Latin America & China.
  • Other reasons described in the thread.
Terry is definitely the most likely SNK character but Kyo is still my most personal wanted.
Obligatory Kyo support thread post.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Terry Bogard is a character from SNK's Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series. He's considered to be the unofficial mascot of SNK.
Actually he's an official mascot for SNK and shares mascot duties with Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown, and Athena Asamiya from Psycho Soldier/KOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom