• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I know I'm going to get digitally yelled at for this, but here goes;

I don't think Assist Trophies flat out deconfirm characters for DLC.

Now that you've finished laughing at me like this Spy, let me just put out some of my personal beliefs in response to these arguments.

1: Sakurai said they wouldn't be playable.
It's true that this is the case for Brawl...
View attachment 187101
...and for 3DS/Wii U.

(Just a reminder, I do like Waluigi, but to avoid accusations of bias, let me say that these were the only instances I could find)
However, it's curious to note that we've heard nothing on the situation of Assist Trophies throughout Ultimate's development cycle; not in the Directs, not on the blog, not even within Sakurai's interviews with insiders. It may not mean much, but it's still notable in that while the devs at SORA got straight to the point on the situation of ATs in the past two games, they've yet to say anything in regards to this installment. Not to mention, we've all heard about the interview where Sakurai admitted that he thought that Ridley was too big. Four years later, and the rest is history

2: Wouldn't they have to remove the Assist Trophy to make it possible?
My answer to that; trick question, they don't need to. Instances of more than one character appearing in fighting games with assisting roles have existed for longer than most would think. In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 17 appeared initially as a part of 18's moveset, supplying assistance whenever necessary.

It wasn't until September of 2018, approximately 8 months later, where 17 appeared as his own fighter separate from 18's moveset. It should be noted that his playable appearance sees him in his park ranger outfit rather than his Red Ribbon outfit.

In a similar vein, another one of Nintendo's fighting games, Pokken Tournament, also has an assist character who was promoted to playable status; Croagunk, who started out as an Assist Pokemon who degrades the opponent's defense.

A year after Pokken released, Croagunk made a surprise appearence as a new fighter on the arcade version of the game, while being subsequently added to the DX version on Switch.

Instances of the same character have been done in multiple fighters in the past. In fact, there exists one in Ultimate itself, and at this point, we've all memed to the moon and back as to who it is.

3. Are the fans really deserving of the characters that they want? Their behavior says otherwise.
I understand that there is some resentment towards certain characters because of the behavior of their supporters because they give of the impression of being dishonest memers or otherwise (not gonna give specific examples, you know which characters and fans I'm talking about). But coming out with this argument is petty; by going by this philosophy, you're ignoring the silent majority of fans who genuinely enjoy the characters, and are thrilled if they're in and disappointed, but not livid that they're not. The best example for this was King K. Rool; when he was being campaigned for (kampaigned?), there was a majority of users who mocked the fans of the character, citing that they only wanted him in for the sake of nostalgia, as well as a majority of fans of the character being mildly annoyed to mega cheesed about the Mii costume in the previous game. But whenthe King actually got in, you know what followed? A heartfelt thank you letter...
...followed by an official response from Nintendo.
This goes to prove that judging the nature of a character's entire fanbase on the grounds of the actions of a tablespoon of idiots has no real standing ground; when it comes to a fanbase, the friendly and honest ones are the silent majority, and the ones who matter most of all.
Sorry for plaguing the thread with this tangent, I just needed somewhere to post my thoughts on the matter, and this was the best recommendation I got from the main discussion thread. Let's just go back to speculating who's in and who's out, regardless of what happens with the characters.
Hmm I think this is a good write up, and I think you make good points using examples from other games, but I don't think the Chrom situation is wholly the same thing. Chrom is in as an echo fighter, and potentially an even easier echo fighter than most because he already had a 3D model from being in Robin's moveset. If anything the fact that he is still in Robin's final smash shows just how little dev time was probably applied to Chrom, they didn't even take the time to go back and change Robin's stuff. So while you would think that same argument could apply to the Assist Trophies the big difference is him being an echo. If they had to create a new moveset for him I don't think he would have gotten in, and I think that same thing can be said about the Assist Trophies for the first fighter's pass.
I think ATs and Spirits are all in the same boat for this first wave, if they had been planned for DLC they wouldn't have bothered making them anything else. Once we're through this and a hypothetical second wave starts I think they won't have any issue drawing from ATs or Spirits for all the reasons listed above.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If i were to give my views on that 5chan leak, as much as I would like it to be true, I'm going to put my expectations in the same way I felt with the Grinch leak.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If i were to give my views on that 5chan leak, as much as I would like it to be true, I'm going to put my expectations in the same way I felt with the Grinch leak.
I feel like it's just a bunch of bandwagoning. Like how the Grinch leak had a bunch of fan requests+catering to Incineroar controversy, the 5chan leak has:
  • Piggybacking off preexisting Erdrick speculation
  • Piggybacking off Verg's "Minecraft content" comment
  • Piggybacking off the assumption that the DLC is all gonna be promos and characters without spirits/ATs

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like it's just a bunch of bandwagoning. Like how the Grinch leak had a bunch of fan requests+catering to Incineroar controversy, the 5chan leak has:
  • Piggybacking off preexisting Erdrick speculation
  • Piggybacking off Verg's "Minecraft content" comment
  • Piggybacking off the assumption that the DLC is all gonna be promos and characters without spirits/ATs
Yeah. Leaks tend to be fake if they excessively pander to other leaks and or fan speculation.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Just to factcheck, when exactly did the 5chan leak appear? And how accurate is the translation?

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Okay so, I’m actually predicting and hoping that Sub-Zero is a DLC character. If that Doom Guy leak is real and we also have Snake and Bayo, I think Sub-Zero can get in!

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Okay so, I’m actually predicting and hoping that Sub-Zero is a DLC character. If that Doom Guy leak is real and we also have Snake and Bayo, I think Sub-Zero can get in!
Well if the Doom leak is real then Sub-Zero can't get in because all the slots are full.

EDIT: unless there is that magical second wave of DLC that invalidates all my arguments lol

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Do people want Sub-Zero particularly to make Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter something of a reality?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know I'm going to get digitally yelled at for this, but here goes;

I don't think Assist Trophies flat out deconfirm characters for DLC.

Now that you've finished laughing at me like this Spy, let me just put out some of my personal beliefs in response to these arguments.

1: Sakurai said they wouldn't be playable.
It's true that this is the case for Brawl...
View attachment 187101
...and for 3DS/Wii U.

(Just a reminder, I do like Waluigi, but to avoid accusations of bias, let me say that these were the only instances I could find)
However, it's curious to note that we've heard nothing on the situation of Assist Trophies throughout Ultimate's development cycle; not in the Directs, not on the blog, not even within Sakurai's interviews with insiders. It may not mean much, but it's still notable in that while the devs at SORA got straight to the point on the situation of ATs in the past two games, they've yet to say anything in regards to this installment. Not to mention, we've all heard about the interview where Sakurai admitted that he thought that Ridley was too big. Four years later, and the rest is history

2: Wouldn't they have to remove the Assist Trophy to make it possible?
My answer to that; trick question, they don't need to. Instances of more than one character appearing in fighting games with assisting roles have existed for longer than most would think. In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 17 appeared initially as a part of 18's moveset, supplying assistance whenever necessary.

It wasn't until September of 2018, approximately 8 months later, where 17 appeared as his own fighter separate from 18's moveset. It should be noted that his playable appearance sees him in his park ranger outfit rather than his Red Ribbon outfit.

In a similar vein, another one of Nintendo's fighting games, Pokken Tournament, also has an assist character who was promoted to playable status; Croagunk, who started out as an Assist Pokemon who degrades the opponent's defense.

A year after Pokken released, Croagunk made a surprise appearence as a new fighter on the arcade version of the game, while being subsequently added to the DX version on Switch.

Instances of the same character have been done in multiple fighters in the past. In fact, there exists one in Ultimate itself, and at this point, we've all memed to the moon and back as to who it is.

3. Are the fans really deserving of the characters that they want? Their behavior says otherwise.
I understand that there is some resentment towards certain characters because of the behavior of their supporters because they give of the impression of being dishonest memers or otherwise (not gonna give specific examples, you know which characters and fans I'm talking about). But coming out with this argument is petty; by going by this philosophy, you're ignoring the silent majority of fans who genuinely enjoy the characters, and are thrilled if they're in and disappointed, but not livid that they're not. The best example for this was King K. Rool; when he was being campaigned for (kampaigned?), there was a majority of users who mocked the fans of the character, citing that they only wanted him in for the sake of nostalgia, as well as a majority of fans of the character being mildly annoyed to mega cheesed about the Mii costume in the previous game. But whenthe King actually got in, you know what followed? A heartfelt thank you letter...
...followed by an official response from Nintendo.
This goes to prove that judging the nature of a character's entire fanbase on the grounds of the actions of a tablespoon of idiots has no real standing ground; when it comes to a fanbase, the friendly and honest ones are the silent majority, and the ones who matter most of all.
Sorry for plaguing the thread with this tangent, I just needed somewhere to post my thoughts on the matter, and this was the best recommendation I got from the main discussion thread. Let's just go back to speculating who's in and who's out, regardless of what happens with the characters.
Piranha Plant is also becoming playable despite being a stage hazard in the n64 Mushroom Kingdom stage.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So those Rare spirit placeholders still in the game files. Are we still treating them as any sort of proof or are we just ignoring them now because everyone seems to have accepted Steve as the newcomer.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Piranha Plant isn't an individual though. It's not weird seeing multiple of them together and there's no risk of confusing them for the player.
It's not that. They'd look entirely weird if Mushroom Kingdom had a 3D Piranha Plant. It's them being 2D that matters. It's hard to confuse them for the actual playable character.

So those Rare spirit placeholders still in the game files. Are we still treating them as any sort of proof or are we just ignoring them now because everyone seems to have accepted Steve as the newcomer.
They’re still keeping me hopeful for Banjo. I have a hard time believing they’re just there by accident, especially now that it’s public knowledge. These Rare files being in the game is a real thing, no reason to just ignore it.

andree123

Smash Ace
Reminder that Rare is still silent about their IPs in Ultimate right after the title of Ultimate was announced at E3 and they are still silent about the rare IPs being leaked in the datamine too.

Reminder that Rare is still silent about their IPs in Ultimate right after the title of Ultimate was announced at E3 and they are still silent about the rare IPs being leaked in the datamine too.
Yep they haven’t responded to any Rare IP-in-Smash related tweets since back in June, nor have any Rare employees on their personal accounts. Very suspicious when they used to respond to those types of tweets all the time. Last thing they ever said was in response to someone asking about Banjo in Smash, to which they said something along the lines of “if that were to ever happen it wouldn’t be our announcement to make!”

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yep they haven’t responded to any Rare IP-in-Smash related tweets since back in June, nor have any Rare employees on their personal accounts. Very suspicious when they used to respond to those types of tweets all the time. Last thing they ever said was in response to someone asking about Banjo in Smash, to which they said something along the lines of “if that were to ever happen it wouldn’t be our announcement to make!”
Steve was actually mentioned rather recently by the Mojang team at the recent Minecon. They were asked if Steve was gonna be in Smash. The team laughed and said they have heard nothing about it and to ask Nintendo about it. I don't know how restrictive NDAs are. But that doesn't seem like the type of thing they would be allowed to say if Steve was getting in.

Rare on the other hand is outright refusing to say anything. So is Phil Spencer who has been known to saying positive things about Banjo being in Smash in the past. Either they are just sick of all the fans asking or something is up.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Piranha Plant is also becoming playable despite being a stage hazard in the n64 Mushroom Kingdom stage.
This is why I still think these characters have a shot. Sure, Captain Toad appears in New Donk (yet I still haven't seen him whenever I play there), but Planty Boi, coupled with the background cameos of King Dedede in Dream Land being removed when Triple D is fighting, as well as Chrom's continued involvement with Robin's FS, ought to give a lot of hope for the dear Captain, or at least Toads in general.

Steve was actually mentioned rather recently by the Mojang team at the recent Minecon. They were asked if Steve was gonna be in Smash. The team laughed and said they have heard nothing about it and to ask Nintendo about it. I don't know how restrictive NDAs are. But that doesn't seem like the type of thing they would be allowed to say if Steve was getting in.

Rare on the other hand is outright refusing to say anything. So is Phil Spencer who has been known to saying positive things about Banjo being in Smash in the past. Either they are just sick of all the fans asking or something is up.
I remember how suspicious everyone was of Wayforward’s silence leading up to Smash, and then it turned out it was because Shantae was a spirit in Smash. Hopefully Banjo (or whoever) doesn’t end up as merely a Spirit, but still it goes to show that their silence speaks volumes.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I remember how suspicious everyone was of Wayforward’s silence leading up to Smash, and then it turned out it was because Shantae was a spirit in Smash. Hopefully Banjo (or whoever) doesn’t end up as merely a Spirit, but still it goes to show that their silence speaks volumes.
Wouldn't that be such a slap in the face. At least Geno had a presence in the WoL. I can see it now. Banjo spirit battle with Steve using a Banjo skin that randomly appears on the Spirit Board. I don't think my heart could take it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be such a slap in the face. At least Geno had a presence in the WoL. I can see it now. Banjo spirit battle with Steve using a Banjo skin that randomly appears on the Spirit Board. I don't think my heart could take it.
Fortunately I can’t picture that happening, since technically Banjo is Rare, and Minecraft is Mojang. Even though Microsoft owns them both, I feel like they’d only have content from one or the other. If both, then maybe we’d get both Banjo and Steve playable. Make everyone happy

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is why I still think these characters have a shot. Sure, Captain Toad appears in New Donk (yet I still haven't seen him whenever I play there)
For some reason they restrict him to only appear after the stage has made at least three laps to the top of the New Donk City building (if I recall correctly).
You can make him appear straight away if you play one of the Captain Toad songs that can play on that stage though.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Since we're talking about companies being silent, Ubisoft twitter and Rabbids twitter has acknowledged the Rabbids spirits in game and tweets about it, but have still been silent with all tweets at them about Rayman being in despite his spirit being revealed. They still like and acknowledge Rayman tweets unless they're smash related

If we got him and banjo I'd die of happiness

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since we're talking about companies being silent, Ubisoft twitter and Rabbids twitter has acknowledged the Rabbids spirits in game and tweets about it, but have still been silent with all tweets at them about Rayman being in despite his spirit being revealed. They still like and acknowledge Rayman tweets unless they're smash related

If we got him and banjo I'd die of happiness
Pretty sure he’s excluded from Smash, and that’s why he got into Brawlhala.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is possible him being playable in Brawlhala means he can't be playable in Smash. That's a possible Agreement that can legitimately happen. It's not unrealistic. When it comes to licensing, companies do make silly agreements like that. So who knows. Though the fact he's a Spirit already makes it unlikely, but simply being "playable" might be the agreement, but not other cameos. NDA and other agreements are not very simple to begin with. There's often stipulations.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It’s kind of the same fate as Shovel Knight honestly. And just because it’s touchy doesn’t mean I can’t say it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It’s kind of the same fate as Shovel Knight honestly. And just because it’s touchy doesn’t mean I can’t say it.
That's quite possible too. With a similar agreement, even. Obviously they can't really speak of what the agreement was anytime soon, since that's classified information, basically. All we can do is speculate, really.

On another note, looks like another interview of Sakurai's is coming up soon. I wish we'd get the full translation, but only bits and pieces so far.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Do you have a quote or link to that because that does seem like it could very well be a soft-deconfirmation?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Do you have a quote or link to that because that does seem like it could very well be a soft-deconfirmation?
Basically a few of the team laughed, they said they had no news, and to basically just ask Nintendo about it.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Thanks, I'll have to watch that later when I'm not at work.
I really did take it as something that is NDA breaking. But then again I have no idea how restrictive NDAs are. It really sounded like a "No it's not happening" answer to me when companies like Rare and Ubisoft suddenly stop showing any sort of Smash support outside of already confirmed news like Rabbid spirits and King K. Rool getting into Smash.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I really did take it as something that is NDA breaking. But then again I have no idea how restrictive NDAs are. It really sounded like a "No it's not happening" answer to me when companies like Rare and Ubisoft suddenly stop showing any sort of Smash support outside of already confirmed news like Rabbid spirits and King K. Rool getting into Smash.
Yeah I know a few people here think that people like to dance around NDAs and give technically correct answers but the more likely scenario is that if the developer is saying no, its a no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom