• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW ZELDA MECHANIC! FARORE'S CANCEL!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
This isn't really ground breaking, but take a look at Zelda at 0:48 seconds in.

Notice something? She reappears early and in fact, at an awkward angle. Furthermore, Zelda KILLS Link when reappearing! It even gives a strong purple/red/black KO line!

What I'm thinking is two things are happening here.

Either Zelda is able to CANCEL the FULL length of Farore's Wind

OR Zelda is able to automatically dectect being able to hit an opponent and hit them (like how Peach's Side B will not hit shields, but is able to dectect when a shield is down in P:M)

So what do you think? Am I mistaken? I really don't think I am. She travels HALF the distance she normally does.

She's never been able (not even in PM, not while midair) to only travel half the distance!

Last edited:

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
ohh wow yeah, that wasn't the full length... it seems to stop whenever it comes into contact with something. Like to a ledge it will go to it without going over it.

Perhaps an opponent could block our recovery as well if they're in between us and the ledge.

very interesting.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Idk it looks like the full length to me. The Zelda player did a Farore boost from the knock back lag and went upwards before the teleport. It is good to see Farore boosting return! If you pause the video right before Zelda teleports you can see that she is well over the top platform of the stage. For a reference: In brawl Zelda can ledge cancel the same way on battlefield that is shown here from the top platforms to the middle ones. If you aim in a tilted direction you can hit the ledge which is right about the same spot she hit in this video.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Idk it looks like the full length to me. The Zelda player did a Farore boost from the knock back lag and went upwards before the teleport. It is good to see Farore boosting return! If you pause the video right before Zelda teleports you can see that she is well over the top platform of the stage. For a reference: In brawl Zelda can ledge cancel the same way on battlefield that is shown here from the top platforms to the middle ones. If you aim in a tilted direction you can hit the ledge which is right about the same spot she hit in this video.
True...........I still hope that we can cancel it though.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
She was NOT a full length by any means. She was about half. You need to check the video again lol. She didn't follow off the edge, either, she distinctly hit Link WHEN she reappeared. If she ledge she would have had no landing lag - but she did.

I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but she didn't teleport the full distance. Unless I'm competely blind. It looks like it has an Ike effect, where it will detonate next to an enemy.

from where she was, if she teleported fully, she would have been much, much closer to the ground.

If you pause RIGHT when she reappears, her head is just RIGHT below the most top left part of the top platform.

ohh wow yeah, that wasn't the full length... it seems to stop whenever it comes into contact with something. Like to a ledge it will go to it without going over it.

Perhaps an opponent could block our recovery as well if they're in between us and the ledge.

very interesting.
Yeah, since she automatically snaps to ledges, it seems they've added further utilty by being able to be intercepted. I don't see this as a bad thing at all: she's going to be able to hit hard (maybe even break a shield, look at the knockback) and I feel its a better approach. If you set it up properly (teleport twice in place, then teleport at them) they're not going to suspect it as easily. It's a double edged sword, but we can just teleport more than one way, rather with how Ike can only go in one direction.

I also updated the OP with actual pictures of the distance. You can easily see for yourself its not ledge canceled, and its not the full length at all

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965

In this picture right before she teleports (she actually travels just a little further upwards right before the teleport) she is directly above the ledge. Where she lands is right in the middle of stage (the exact distance Farore travels)

You can she she traveled just slightly past halfstage (the sweetspot for Zelda's ledge cancel)

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx

In this picture right before she teleports (she actually travels just a little further upwards right before the teleport) she is directly above the ledge. Where she lands is right in the middle of stage (the exact distance Farore travels)

You can she she traveled just slightly past halfstage (the sweetspot for Zelda's ledge cancel)
No. THIS is where she reappears:

the

She is CLEARLY to the LEFT of the middle of the stage, and her hands are almost touching the top left of the top platform.

Again, I already did this for you. The moment RIGHT when Zelda reappears, she is close to the left platform than what your picture is showing. You screened yours too late. You have to consider that what we're looking at is a little angled. You mean to tell me if Zelda, from YOUR starting point, teleported to the RIGHT, she wouldn't have fallen off the stage? By the distance measurements you're providing, she would have landed on the right most platform.

Look how far she's traveling here!!!

How are you still arguing this?

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
...Anyone else like Zelda's new Palatte? Kinda reminds me of ALTTP Zelda.

EDIT: Palette, not Palatte. I kinda want a latte now XP.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I could believe that this may be a possible change, seeing as how Zelda can grab ledges mid-movement, maybe there's a 'detector' hit-box that could detect a foe and cause Zelda to reappear then.
^ Personally, I don't like this idea though.

Also, could you reference another point in the same video where she goes farther to compare? Because to me, that distance looks to be full distance. Screw the 3ds one. There at different visual angles, and the 3ds one was from 3 months ago.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
As someone who likes to attack with Farore's Wind, this seems to be the full distance.

^ Personally, I don't like this idea though.
This. Farore's Wind is also a move allowing to escape, being forced to appear where opponents are seems to be a bad design to me.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Looking at the 3DS gif & @ 「 Derk 」 「 Derk 」 's uhm diagram(?) again, it seems that it is indeed Zelda's full Recovery Length (although the one in the demo seems a little bit longer).

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
D3RKs diagram is incorrect. The second image in the OP shows the exact moment Zelda reappears. She is not going the full distance.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
It doesn't look to me like she's going the full distance either.
I haven't used her in Smash 4 yet (I used my chance at Best Buy to play Villager, forgive me!) but I have watched pretty much every video that's been posted with a Zelda player in it.

Yes, FW is a strong kill move. I hope it can't clash with anything when reappearing.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
You can easily replicate this exact teleport pattern from the video in brawl. If you are still doubting that this is the full distance take 1 min of your time and go load brawl... I just tested this to be sure. Teleporting from the spot in the video places Zelda right next to the left platform exactly like what happened here.

Edit: This will be my last post on the subject because at this point everything that can be said for and against has already been said by both sides and its turned into a "your right and I'm wrong go watch it again" thread.

Last edited:

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Appreciate all the likes for my previous posts, I love the community.

I was thinking though, I don't think we would have to worry about being intercepted and thus losing the ledge. It seems there's a lot of umm... space? room, for Zelda to do what she needs to do. Whether it's hitting an opponent or grabbing a ledge. I'm not going to gather receipts, I do have a life. But I remember one video where Zelda was quite under the stage and attempted to recover from an upward right angle... Seemingly difficult by Brawl standards, probably impossible. And she made it, it didn't seem she would, but Zelda kinda turned around and grabbed it. So that's kind of amazing.
I honestly think we now have one of the best recoveries, especially how ledge guarding or whatever it's referred to is non-existent. Gonna be a huge difference in both playful and competitive play.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Farore's has been ultra buffed this game in a lot of ways, which is something I'm really excited about in general. As for the video, it does look like she stopped travelling before the full distance was up, but then again, the video is poor quality and at an awkward angle - so it's hard to tell with absolute certainty. What is certain, however, is that Farore's is now much faster, much more precise, and an awesome kill move. 10/10

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
You can easily replicate this exact teleport pattern from the video in brawl. If you are still doubting that this is the full distance take 1 min of your time and go load brawl... I just tested this to be sure. Teleporting from the spot in the video places Zelda right next to the left platform exactly like what happened here.

Edit: This will be my last post on the subject because at this point everything that can be said for and against has already been said by both sides and its turned into a "your right and I'm wrong go watch it again" thread.
I won't argue since I haven't played as her yet.
I will say that I certainly hope you're right.

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Even if FW has been buffed to the point of an awesome kill move, it should still remain as a completely situational one.

We still don't have any idea on the shields of this game or what kind of damage FW can do to a shield. It would literally be offering yourself to an opponent to have their way with you.

As far as recovery goes. The pressure is at least now two sided. Mis-timing edgeguards now nets us kills (until they start teching good) but we don't get severely pressured so one-sided now. It'll be nice to have.

I wonder what we can expect from the actual reappearance hitbox as far as size, and range. It'd be pretty kool if it were disjointed.

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
I'm more interested in the fact that it killed at just a little over 100%, and more then that it killed LINK, one of the heavier characters. This could be a big deal for Zelda as she normally struggles in high level competitive play if she gets a character to high percentage and then they start camping her. She just isn't fast enough, especially in brawl, to chase down a highly mobile character with projectiles. This could make her much more punishing to that type of playstyle.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't seem like the full distance, but she is traveling well beyond the halfway point. It sort of looks like 80% of the distance to me, but I'm thinking it's an optical illusion. She is going diagonally and we are seeing the screen at an angle, which may mess with our senses. When she reappears, it's hard to distinguish her from Link, since they are both on fire. I think she is reappearing past Link, and people are confusing Link's position for Zelda's. It happens so quickly, and the video quality isn't the best.

I say the data is inconclusive.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
It doesn't seem like the full distance, but she is traveling well beyond the halfway point. It sort of looks like 80% of the distance to me, but I'm thinking it's an optical illusion. She is going diagonally and we are seeing the screen at an angle, which may mess with our senses. When she reappears, it's hard to distinguish her from Link, since they are both on fire. I think she is reappearing past Link, and people are confusing Link's position for Zelda's. It happens so quickly, and the video quality isn't the best.

I say the data is inconclusive.
I'm pretty sure Zelda reappeared on top of Link. If I remember correctly, landing directly on top of someone is the best way to kill with FWind, and after I rewatched the video, that appears to be what Zelda did. Is there anyone who has the Japanese version who can test the automatic enemy detection theory?

edit: I rewatched again, and the distance Zelda teleports seems pretty close to her full distance, but I still think it's a bit shorter than usual.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Zelda is forced to go full distance if she is airborne. Grounded up-b however you can shorten it. I shown this off in my custom moves video.

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@ NinjaLink NinjaLink
Can you test something for me? Test Zelda recovering to the ledge from above the ledge. Any and all angles you can think of. Distances as well. If what you say is true and Zelda must travel the full distance in the air, we may have lost the ability to hit the ledge from above it.

Then again, I'm also GOD AWFUL TERRIBAD on a 3DS joystick.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
@ NinjaLink NinjaLink
Can you test something for me? Test Zelda recovering to the ledge from above the ledge. Any and all angles you can think of. Distances as well. If what you say is true and Zelda must travel the full distance in the air, we may have lost the ability to hit the ledge from above it.

Then again, I'm also GOD AWFUL TERRIBAD on a 3DS joystick.
You can grab the ledge from any angle and it autosnaps. I found that out during the demo months ago. To clarify what i mean is if there is a platform or ground under you and you do an aerial teleport, you wont just land directly above you. She'll go the remaining distance along the ground. Dont worry. Recovery wont be an issue.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
After some extensive testing, this is an abysmal bad game design flaw. If not by now noticed you cannot up b directly downwards? It's because her up b travels along the ground like an L shape. So pretty much if you up b in the adownward

Top Bottom