• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Yoshi Side-B?

Yoshi43DS

Smash Rookie
In a chair thinking about Pokemon Trainer amiibo
“Yoshi’s side-b is horrible” We’ve all said that. So..... What are some ideas for a new one? I have some ideas.
1. Bike yoshi. Yoshi transform into his bike form from Wooly world and maybe others (Wooly world is the only game I’ve played in the Yoshi series) He runs across the stage like wario bike and does about 10% to anything in his path. It is faster than wario’s but easier to avoid.
2. Yarn/egg throw. Basically, the Yoshi eggs are thrown like they are in the Yoshi games. A line shows up saying where the egg will go, and when fired, if it hits an opponent directly, it will immobilize a fighter for a short bit. If it barely hits, they are just knocked back a bit.
It takes a while to aim like in the series, where changing your aim can take a couple seconds, cuz this would be broken without it. A great edgeguarding tool
What are you’re ideas? Comment!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Too late for this game, we saw the Egg Roll in the trailer

Anyways, my idea is Poochy, who works as a mix of his current Side Special, Villager's FS, and the Pokeball Gogoat. You can summon Poochy, who appears in front of you. After a second or two, he starts running forward. The reason for the delay is so that you can get on him to travel. He goes forward in the direction the character riding him is looking/straight forward. He does more damage going without Yoshi, but the turnoff is that if a Character gets on him, he does what that character wants. I know it's not much better then the current one, but it's an idea.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The EXECUTION of Egg Roll is what's crap about it, not necessarily that it exists. It's very plausible for Yoshi to have an attack based around encasing himself in an egg, they just need to fix things to make it more useful.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
No offense whatsoever, but I really don't think either of your ideas in your opening post are very good options here. At least, not for regular Yoshi. If Yarn Yoshi actually became an alternate character of his own, then the bike idea would be a pretty good option, but I doubt that would ever happen, and IF Yarn Yoshi gets in, it'll most likely just be an alternate costume if I had to guess (which would be great, but alternate costumes don't get move adjustments). For the second idea.. another egg throwing move? I really don't think that's necessary.

My idea for a new side B is: Keep the Egg Roll.
I already touched upon this in another thread, but I'll re-explain it here in some more detail. Egg Roll can definitely be made into a more viable move. You could potentially reduce the endlag to allow possible follow ups with other moves provided the Egg Roll hits, and you can make it less punishable on shield. The one idea I had that could change this move mostly though, would be to allow this move to activate straight out of shield, as in, Yoshi shields, but can immediately start rolling around with side-B without ever dropping the shield, mostly to surprise those who try to shield pressure Yoshi.
To balance this out some more though as this move would come out fairly quick (and would necessate Yoshi shielding first to get rid of the initial 'jump' Yoshi does when performing side B), the entire side B would be linked to Yoshi's shield as well as well. Upon being attacked during Egg Roll, instead of being hit out of the attack, Yoshi either keeps rolling on, or gets turned around immediately (not sure which one would be better for balancing purposes), but either way, the opponent still takes damage, while Yoshi's shield would also take damage if attacked during the move.
All in all, this would make the move either more, or less safe, depending on how you use it; it could be a very good option to escape shield pressure and immediately create some distance between yourself and the opponent, but use it willy-nilly and opponents will be able to break that shield of yours, and we all know how devastating shield breaks can be. It still might not be necessarily useful as an actual attack on its own for the most part, but it can be very useful if you just need a small breather.

Too late for this game, we saw the Egg Roll in the trailer.
While we did see the Egg Roll, it's not like moves haven't changed between first looks and eventual release before. Kirby's aerial side B comes to mind in the transition from Melee to Brawl, for one, where he had Melee's in early gameplay footage, but he had a new aerial side B by the time Brawl actually released. Not that I think they'll change Yoshi's Egg Roll, but it's still possible; basically anything is still subject to change in the final product.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Yosher Yosher the ideas are neat. I have some of my own.

I'm in agreement that Chinese Food Egg Roll can remain to stay, but mechanics can change about it to make it not only more interesting, but engaging to warrant usage in the move. My suggestions:
  • Roll startup reduced: Frame 31 → Frame 22 (General QoL frame buff. Egg Roll is good velocity, but it takes over half a second to.)
    "Hop" startup revamped to be so Yoshi isn't airborne at all. Simply staying grounded for the animation, & getting ready to roll.
  • Damage-based armor added to the roll so that it's not easily beaten by even the weakest of priority if the egg hitbox size isn't larger.
  • Egg break endlag reduced from 40 frames → 30 at least.
  • Egg Roll used airborne rolls with slightly more airspeed than going nowhere. Damage-based armor can be balanced accordingly.

My two cents.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Yosher Yosher the ideas are neat. I have some of my own.

I'm in agreement that Chinese Food Egg Roll can remain to stay, but mechanics can change about it to make it not only more interesting, but engaging to warrant usage in the move. My suggestions:
  • Roll startup reduced: Frame 31 → Frame 22 (General QoL frame buff. Egg Roll is good velocity, but it takes over half a second to.)
    "Hop" startup revamped to be so Yoshi isn't airborne at all. Simply staying grounded for the animation, & getting ready to roll.
  • Damage-based armor added to the roll so that it's not easily beaten by even the weakest of priority if the egg hitbox size isn't larger.
  • Egg break endlag reduced from 40 frames → 30 at least.
  • Egg Roll used airborne rolls with slightly more airspeed than going nowhere. Damage-based armor can be balanced accordingly.

My two cents.
Don't know about anything else but I'm pretty sure I heard that the hop was removed already.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Don't know about anything else but I'm pretty sure I heard that the hop was removed already.
I was curious about this, so I watched the 22 second trailer and didn't notice a change too noticeable in the egg roll since yoshi was airborne starting the move. It looks quick but I won't go into it.

Lunar Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Egg Roll is great as a move, just needs better execution. It's based of Yoshi's Story when Yoshi gets into an egg and can shoot himself around the stage.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
In my Super Smash Bros. Eternity Yoshi's Egg Roll is changed to his Neutral special and Egg Throw becomes his Side special.

(Egg Roll is same as Jigglypuff's Rollout but faster and controllable, if done long enough the egg catches on rainbow coloured fire burning opponents as it nyoom around)

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
In my Super Smash Bros. Eternity Yoshi's Egg Roll is changed to his Neutral special and Egg Throw becomes his Side special.

(Egg Roll is same as Jigglypuff's Rollout but faster and controllable, if done long enough the egg catches on rainbow coloured fire burning opponents as it nyoom around)
wait were is his Egg Lay?

Top Bottom