• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dead thread

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've been thinking a lot about the iconic Star KOs/Screen KOs, and trying to stay hopeful. Yes, "Smash Ultimate" is going to be competitive-friendly, and yes, the Star KOs/Screen KOs are returning. But the upper Blast KOs occurring randomly are still a thing, making the top KOs inconsistent. I want consistency for the main part of the game (that is the top KOs). If the Star KOs/Screen KOs (WITHOUT upper Blast KOs) counted as already KO'd as soon as the opponent crosses the blast zone instead of waiting for the animation to finish, I'd be willing to accept that, even if I'm not fond of that idea. However (and this is for me personally), if that's not done right or if that doesn't get implemented in the final game (or if the toggle for Star KOs/Screen KOs with options isn't added), I'll just throw in the towel and say the "Smash" series wasn't really meant for me. I'll play "Smash 64" and "Smash Melee" and watch videos of those games, but that'll be it for me in the future.

I know the game is still in development and some things could change in the future, but I'm just that worried about the main part of the game. If the Star KOs/Screen KOs don't work like the 3 previous games, then I'd like someone to make a mod that always have Star KOs/Screen KOs occurring. I would make it myself, but I don't have any experience with modding, and I simply don't have the time to do that, even if I wanted to. So in the future (in case the upper Blast KOs still occur at random in the final game), if someone makes a mod that always have Star KOs/Screen KOs occurring, it'd be greatly appreciated. If that's the case in the future, I'll no longer care about fairness at that point, and I'll prefer using a mod of that over playing "Smash Ultimate" that I won't enjoy all that much.

I've waited about 5 years on that for "Smash 4", and no mod of that was made. I don't have another 5 years in me to go through all of that again. Knowing that the Star KOs/Screen KOs in "Smash 4" weren't as iconic as the previous games just angers me, and I cringe in disgust every time I see an upper Blast KO occur at random. It's not fun for me to see that at random, and there's just no satisfaction. Even the Star KOs/Screen KOs in "Smash Brawl" were iconic, and that game was bad for playing competitively. In order words, I don't enjoy "Smash 4" all that much because of that main part of the game (yes, I said it). One of the reasons why I didn't watch many videos of it, and still don't watch many videos of it to this day, not even "Smash Ultimate".

The way things are going right now, I personally don't think the iconic Star KOs/Screen KOs have a future, in terms of top KO consistency. Some people seem to think otherwise. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same way as I do...

*To anyone who has something negative to say about me and my opinion on the iconic Star KOs/Screen KOs, keep those comments to yourself.
I don't get it, you want what? Consistent Screen/Star KOs? Them being good? Good competitive play?

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I don't get it, you want what? Consistent Screen/Star KOs? Them being good? Good competitive play?
Consistency for Star KO/Screen KOs: yes. Them being good: yes, but only when they count as already KO'd instead of waiting for the animation to finish (or a toggle for them with options). Good competitive play: yes, as long as the main part of the game (top KOs) stays consistent.

Otherwise, I'm just waiting for someone to make a mod that removes the upper Blast KOs as soon as possible in the future, just in case things don't go what I want for the final game.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Since you're not watching many videos of the new Smash Bros game, I'll keep an eye out for things to come. I understand how you feel, and believe me, I want those things just as much as you do.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
I watched the Smash Bros. Ultimate direct. After watching it, I think it's safe to say that the Star/Screen KO toggle will not be added as of August 8th, 2018. So that's out of the window. Hate to say it, but the future of the top KO consistency is not looking bright at all, and that's a shame because I main Jiggly. So now, the only redeeming factor of the Star/Screen KOs is to make them auto-take stocks without waiting for the animation. I still don't like the Blast KOs at the top, though. Would be better if that was removed altogether.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Maybe with enough pressure we can coax them into adding this consistency. I'd rather not have Star/Screen KO's gone entirely, since they add some flair and nice funny moments. I think a good compromise is this:

1. No Screen/Star KO during the last 30 seconds of the match
  2. No Screen/Star KO if either player has only one stock left
This makes sure the ONE downside of Screen KOs and Star KOs is guaranteed to never happen. A pretty simple solution I think.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I watched the Smash Bros. Ultimate direct. After watching it, I think it's safe to say that the Star/Screen KO toggle will not be added as of August 8th, 2018. So that's out of the window. Hate to say it, but the future of the top KO consistency is not looking bright at all, and that's a shame because I main Jiggly. So now, the only redeeming factor of the Star/Screen KOs is to make them auto-take stocks without waiting for the animation. I still don't like the Blast KOs at the top, though. Would be better if that was removed altogether.
*sigh* I'm even more worried now.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Maybe with enough pressure we can coax them into adding this consistency. I'd rather not have Star/Screen KO's gone entirely, since they add some flair and nice funny moments. I think a good compromise is this:

1. No Screen/Star KO during the last 30 seconds of the match
  2. No Screen/Star KO if either player has only one stock left
This makes sure the ONE downside of Screen KOs and Star KOs is guaranteed to never happen. A pretty simple solution I think.
That is actually one of the ideas I thought of way before the footage of the game.

My original idea for the top KO options was this:
- Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (original)
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (on-stage only)
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (except last stocks)
- Star KOs only (original)
- Star KOs only (on-stage only)
- Star KOs only (except last stocks)
- Screen KOs only (original)
- Screen KOs only (on-stage only)
- Screen KOs only (except last stocks)
- Random

That could've been the way to go. But now, it seems that's no longer an option. And like Tiberus8 said, the only way to redeem this is to make the iconic Star KOs/Screen KOs (WITHOUT upper Blast KOs) count as already KO'd as soon as the opponent crosses the blast zone instead of waiting for the animation to finish.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I really personally utterly despise how the top Blast KOs work. It's completely random if they'll appear until the timer is running out, so you can STILL get screwed over (or win) based on pure luck. The best thing to do would be to disable Blast KOs off the top of the screen until the last 30 seconds/final stock, where they are enabled as Star and Screen KOs are disabled. Otherwise, either top-screen Blast KOs or Star AND Screen KOs need to go. There is NO other fair way to handle them.

Edit: In case I'm not clear, what I mean is that Blast KOs in Smash 4 are ALWAYS enabled, which is the issue. They were supposed to be implemented to prevent Star and Screen KOs from artificially saving/screwing you in the last 30 seconds of a Timer battle. Star and Screen KOs are disabled in the last 30 seconds of a match, but never disabled if there is no timer. But Blast, Star, and Screen KOs are all ALWAYS enabled and occur completely randomly during Stock matches. What should be happening is that Blast KOs are ONLY possible in the last 30 seconds, with it ALWAYS being Star or Screen KOs otherwise (because they were specifically re-balanced to ensure both take the same amount of time so the randomness wouldn't save/screw you).

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I really personally utterly despise how the top Blast KOs work. It's completely random if they'll appear until the timer is running out, so you can STILL get screwed over (or win) based on pure luck. The best thing to do would be to disable Blast KOs off the top of the screen until the last 30 seconds/final stock, where they are enabled as Star and Screen KOs are disabled. Otherwise, either top-screen Blast KOs or Star AND Screen KOs need to go. There is NO other fair way to handle them.

Edit: In case I'm not clear, what I mean is that Blast KOs in Smash 4 are ALWAYS enabled, which is the issue. They were supposed to be implemented to prevent Star and Screen KOs from artificially saving/screwing you in the last 30 seconds of a Timer battle. Star and Screen KOs are disabled in the last 30 seconds of a match, but never disabled if there is no timer. But Blast, Star, and Screen KOs are all ALWAYS enabled and occur completely randomly during Stock matches. What should be happening is that Blast KOs are ONLY possible in the last 30 seconds, with it ALWAYS being Star or Screen KOs otherwise (because they were specifically re-balanced to ensure both take the same amount of time so the randomness wouldn't save/screw you).
In my opinion, making the Star KOs/Screen KOs count as already KO'd instead of waiting for the animation to finish would be better. With that, even if there is only 30 seconds remaining or if the player is on the last stock, there wouldn't be any unfair losses, whether the character is off-stage or not. I actually did a match/goal in "Smash 64" (currently uploaded to YouTube) where it ended with an intentional Star KO, which was part of my goal. Personally, I'm not fond of insta-taking a stock during the Star KO/Screen KO instead of waiting for the animation to finish, but I'm willing to accept that in the long run.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
In my opinion, making the Star KOs/Screen KOs count as already KO'd instead of waiting for the animation to finish would be better. With that, even if there is only 30 seconds remaining or if the player is on the last stock, there wouldn't be any unfair losses, whether the character is off-stage or not. I actually did a match/goal in "Smash 64" (currently uploaded to YouTube) where it ended with an intentional Star KO, which was part of my goal. Personally, I'm not fond of insta-taking a stock during the Star KO/Screen KO instead of waiting for the animation to finish, but I'm willing to accept that in the long run.
I suppose that could also work, but even then it would take a longer time for the player to respawn regardless, so there's still a distinct disadvantage to randomly getting Star/Screen KO'd.

Top Bottom