• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Wario Main

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
So I finally got a new controller to play Project M and after testing out all the characters, I'm loving Wario the most. I decided to pick him as my Project M Main. So any tips about Wario?

Agi

Smash Lord
Lessee, basics. Your Chomp is an incredibly versatile tool, especially the aerial version. You can tap a direction after biting someone to quickly throw them that way, tap B (or just wait) to chomp them again for some decent %. It's a DI mixup, if you throw them in one direction and they DI incorrectly, they pop out right in front of your face and you can grab them. Landing bites is a matter of getting in on your opponent and catching them in their shield - you can UThrow them onto a platform based on % and jump to intercept their getup with a bite as well, potentially quickly tossing them right back onto the platform to reset the situation.

Use your Waft. Not just as a finisher, not just at full charge. Keep an eye on the timer - every ~30 seconds (actually a bit less, trying to pinpoint it - is this bite dependent?), you'll reach mid charge which can be used as a mid % combo finisher near the edge to seal a KO, or boost your recovery, or launch up that extra distance to land an UAir/USpecial finisher. It reaches full charge after a minute (again, very slightly less) at which point you really want to get that waft out of your system. If you're not using it, even for damage application in low % combos, that charge time is just going to waste.

Watch out for the Corkscrew. If your back is to the stage, you have a major blindspot when it comes to recovery - the point at which Up B-ing at full height will put you above ledgesnap height, and too low to drift back onto the stage. This is especially a pain on stages like Skyworld/Lylat (and to a lesser extent, Battlefield/Smashville,) where angling the corkscrew isn't an option as it'll put you underneath the stage.

The shoulder bash is a great tool for much more than raw knockback and damage. You no doubt already know you can jump out of it (I'd recommend doing this 9 times out of 10 when you come to the end of an SB - much less punishable if you're in the air and you can comparatively act out of it sooner), but there are also two great cancels you can do with it. The first one happens when you land from a shoulder bash in the air - you immediately go into your landing animation and can follow up with any grounded move. Jump onto a platform from the ground or run off a platform and land, it functions the same. The second cancel isn't really a "cancel" so much as a nice aspect of the move's IASA frames - a little bit after the apex of your jump on a grounded SB, you'll be able to jump out of the attack into your standard double-jump. This can be good for maintaining offstage presence with a SB followed by a NAir on a recovering opponent. NAir lasts something absurd like 23 frames in total, 8 on the first hitbox and 15 on the second. It's an incredible gimp.

Speaking of offstage SB, watch out for going -too- deep with this move before SB jumping. If you hit it at the deepest point, before the IASA frames, you won't be able to get back to the stage - you'll go too far out there. When it comes to coming BACK to the stage, SB may immediately seem to be inferior to the corkscrew, but it snaps to the ledge far more quickly and can be angled slightly up and down to do such.

UThrow chaingrab on spacies, DThrow chaingrab on floaties, BThrow essentially gives you control of the entire stage for free and can force a tech on fastfallers if you space yourself so they land on stage (which can be followed up with side B on a read,) FThrow's good both charged and uncharged for a kill throw at mid-high %s and a DI mixup to follow with aerials respectively. UThrow deserves special mention for its use below platforms - it's a great way to position yourself for a sharking Chomp opportunity. DTilt's a good poke (though you can be grabbed out of it) and can hit a few times with bad DI, FTilt lets you lean backward a bit to charge so kindasorta functions as a counter, UTilt lingers forever and can lead to USmash/grab/grounded bite/more UTilt - it's pretty slow, though. It's the move I find myself using the least. DSmash is an absolute killer against people who are bad at teching, especially near the ledge. You can keep hitting it into itself until they manage to roll behind you or crouch cancel it. USmash is great, again linking into itself against fast fallers at low-mid %s, and Wario's DACUS goes pretty far. FSmash does come out one frame faster than SB, so it's pretty quick.

As for Wario's aerials - man, does he have some good ones. Already mentioned the NAir, which your opponents will quickly learn to respect. FAir does a surprising amount of damage and links into itself, can be used to set up a waft at mid %s too. BAir's reach is huge, using it repeatedly in neutral can help you establish stage control with its threat. Apparently it has auto-cancel frames which I haven't found yet... either way, it has sweet and sour spots, but is overall really strong. UAir's another one of those kill/combo moves, great after UThrow. And of course, everyone's favorite DAir - risk/reward on the meteor, but man is it satisfying. I actually find myself using it when I'm near the top blast zone to speed my descent back to the stage/ledge - you can jump out of it after you've fallen a good distance. You can also tap UTaunt to fart when you hit your opponent with it. This fart does nothing.

So yeah, Wario's not super technical or anything. Once you learn what all his moves do, it's just a matter of knowing which ones to throw out where and how to mix 'em up, minimizing mistakes while maximizing punishment. He can definitely struggle in neutral/when the opponent gains momentum, but once he gets going he's a hard beast to stop. Best of luck.

EDIT: Oh god that's a huge wall of text. I'm still used to MYM playstyle sections, I'll just... color that up or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom