• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New (Useful!) Wario Tech - DJPC

Agi

Smash Lord
Double Jump Platform Cancel

Yes, I know it was recorded with a potato. Moving on!
This is a bit of tech I've had on the backburner for a couple of months, before eventually cracking and just using the terrible phone camera. If it's not totally clear what's going on there, it turns out that Wario's ledgejump (AKA Tournament Winner) is actually interruptible through use of his double jump. Although not immediately intuitive, if you turn on the stage collision boxes in debug mode, you'll see why - Wario's initial pose from the jump turns him upside down, and his collision boxes slide up to compensate. When you double jump, they snap back down immediately. If they happen to pass through a platform on the way, the game registers this as you No Impact Landing on the platform, giving you -zero- frames of landing lag to throw out whatever you want!

A lot of characters are capable of doing this (going by memory, :link2::ness2::peach::pit::snake::yoshi2::zerosuitsamus::ike::mewtwopm:), but it's particularly standout for Wario due to his ridiculous drift. All of the above characters are only capable of performing the technique on Yoshi's Story or Warioware due to the platform more or less being immediately above the ledge, but Wario can do it on any stage platforms are at LEAST as close as Dream Land's. This includes Battlefield, Smashville, Norfair, WarioWare, Yoshi's Story, Lylat, Skyworld, and of course, Dream Land. Yoshi's Island, PS2, and Fountain (totally doable, I was wrong) are impossible to DJPC on, and GHZ, while technically possible... well, is technically possible, so go get em!

You'll notice that I'm DJPCing into Shield here. This is because of two things - 1) It's, by far, the most useful/reliable application of DJPC; by holding a light shield press on the way up, you will shield the exact frame you land on the platform. This is unspeakably useful for breaking through ledge pressure, especially when done frame-perfect. You have about three frames of forgiveness to get to the platform and get your shield up while still invulnerable. 2) Brawl replays are notoriously unreliable with PM and I wanted to guarantee showing off SOMETHING.

On Battlefield, you have a two-frame input window - 29 and 30 after inputting a ledge jump. This varies by stage based on platform height, but there's your baseline! Now get out there and board those platforms!

Last edited:

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Are you sure that wario is entirely safe on the way up? I mean i see the debug mode visuals but I thought that most tournament winners were almost instantly punishable.

Agi

Smash Lord
Yep. It's the same theory behind invincible aerials after ledgehop - the intangibility applies from the moment you grab the ledge until 37 frames after, no matter what you do. I've been putting the tech to use in real matches, they try to punish the ledgejump and end up connecting with my shield, leading to a free punish. TW is really, really good in PM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom