• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

--New use For F-air--

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
Hey, I feel like contributing to the tactical aspects of falco's game and i have found a cool way of using the f-air. so i will show you all this maneuver.

this works best at mid to higher percents

when you knock your opponent of the stage and he is recovering from below about a 45 degree angle from the ledge, walk off and do your f-air while holding foward the whole time, each hit from fair should connect and the last hit should knock him far enough away from the stage that is beyond recovery.

then to get back on stage use your double jump, and Up+B.

its a risky move but you can get it 85% of the time with practice and works when the opponent is in the right position.

there might be better ways to kill but it gimps vertical recovery very nicely. it doesnt work with opponents who have super armor when they recover ex: snakes up+b ,yoshi's double jump.

!!!!!!!!!!!EDIT EDIT EDIT!!!!!!!!!!

Vid posted by Exousia --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEXOhNe1AQ
more on the way!

PhantomBrawler

Smash Apprentice
I have a dazzle, I can record it for you what is your wii number? Ill give you mine in a sec

Here it is 0580-3181-7718-1419

Jski

Smash Apprentice
This is my first time posting here i do not know if this is new but if you are able to hit f air as your going up from a jump and you hit an enimly when they are on the ground or in the air some you will take them up to the high of falco jump. It nothing amazing and i am still realty new at this game sry if it been see before. Also, my gramme and spelling never well up to par pleas forgive me.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If there's ever a situation where you could use fair, there's probably another aerial that could perform the job as good, or even better than fair.

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
Phantom i will PM you check your messages

If there's ever a situation where you could use fair, there's probably another aerial that could perform the job as good, or even better than fair.

After i get a vid up you will change your mind, i found ONE good use for it. and actually its decent for racking damage for foes who jump up from a ledge instead of weakening your Bair early. just as they are about to jump recover from a ledge, short hop into Fair.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
Well the thing is, the fair takes them down with you. I don't know if its better because of that, but it does.

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
Well the thing is, the fair takes them down with you. I don't know if its better because of that, but it does.
that is excatly what it does, it knocks them down and away from the ledge so they cannot recover unless they have freakish recovery like pit or the 5 jump characters, but at higher percents it will probably work better on good recoveries like that.

J4pu

Smash Champion
How would Fair be better than Dair in that situation?
i believe because he mentioned that this is allowed instantly without the large chance of accidentally fastfalling to your death, whereas to do Dair safely (at least for me) i have to run off then use my 2nd jump and Dair while rising so as not to risk fastfalling, I suppose you could cstick the Dair but its long duration still makes it dangerous
also, i believe if you are in contact with someone while using Fair it slows your downward momentum even more than non-fast fall speed

just my thoughts on the subject

SnaggleTooth

Smash Cadet
It's called an air dodge... Ever heard of it? It's pretty godly in Brawl. Most decent characters will airdodge right through your Fair and Bair you to oblivion (GaW for example)

:D

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
It's called an air dodge... Ever heard of it? It's pretty godly in Brawl. Most decent characters will airdodge right through your Fair and Bair you to oblivion (GaW for example)

:D
actually not even decent characters will expect it. and if they air dodge, they are below the stage so they will kill themselves, and falco can recover from a f-air below the stage

nice try.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing this for weeks now, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one that used it this way. I would only use it when I cannot Bair the dude or risk a Dair Spike

Using it after your opponent uses his double jump is when it does a critical blow to their recovery. This tactic works better if your opponent is under the stage.

Snake has a slim chance to recover if you gimp his double jump. Actually, you MUST gimp their mid-air jump. Thats the only way this tactic is even going to be useful at its fullest. If you do it correctly, you wont even have to use your mid-air jump, just run off the stage, fair them, and recover back up and edge-hog just incase. If you have to jump, i suggest RAR Bair or Rising Dair Spike them.

The way the Fair works is it will sent them down diagonally for a brief second then depending on their percentage, will knocked them back horizontally. So Unless you did it wrong, they should NOT be able to recover even with a super recovery such as snake's, peach's Wolf's, Fox's, etc...

actually not even decent characters will expect it. and if they air dodge, they are below the stage so they will kill themselves, and falco can recover from a f-air below the stage

nice try.
Just to clarify, an air dodge(or actually anything) still helps AS LONG as the opponent hasn't used their mid-air jump. But with the priority of the Fair's hits, I'd say it would be difficult to air dodge out of it or counter in anyway. But as I said, if the mid-air dodge isn't gimped, your only way is to somehow edge hog for the entire time they try to recover.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Seems like you would get gimped since fair doesnt have that much knockback.. so then someone like pit or MK would gimp you.
Well you gotta be smart about when/against who you use it as was said before it's better when they are out of jumps because all they care about at that point is trying to get back and counter-gimping you is the last thing on their mind.

ValorInVendetta

Smash Rookie
It's a shame, but I've found almost no use for the fair in any situation. As people have said, all of his other aerials have equal or better application to anything that the fair can be used for.

It has little knockback, cannot be used to begin or end a decent combo, and the lag afterward will get you punished against any serious opponent. Probably Falco's only "bad" attack

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Seems like you would get gimped since fair doesnt have that much knockback.. so then someone like pit or MK would gimp you.
If you gimp Pit's Up-B recovery in anyway he wont be able to recover at all.

And it would be unwise to even trying it on MK for his size. This is the situations where your other aerials are better options than the fair.

Well you gotta be smart about when/against who you use it as was said before it's better when they are out of jumps because all they care about at that point is trying to get back and counter-gimping you is the last thing on their mind.
Well put.

It's a shame, but I've found almost no use for the fair in any situation. As people have said, all of his other aerials have equal or better application to anything that the fair can be used for.

It has little knockback, cannot be used to begin or end a decent combo, and the lag afterward will get you punished against any serious opponent. Probably Falco's only "bad" attack
The Fair has 4 separate chain of attacks with high priority. Think of it like Fox's Fair. Unless you land every hit, you wont get the moderate knock back from the final blow and get grounded before it finishes.

Falco's fair IMO is a good counter shield if SH'd(try to shield grab it and you'll get hit before you can) or good for a ledgehopped recovery because of the air you have before landing and its massive priority. And if you land all the hits, you will get a very decent knock back depending on the opponents damage when done, but still good even at lower percentages.

The Key to using Falco's fair, is to have enough air to complete the attack. (Thats why Falco prefers the air people)

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
but what it does is each hit stuns them as you fall farther away from the stage so its more of your body pushing them away then them getting knocked back. but the last hit will push them back enough beyond recovery, and like i said before guys like MK or pit it wont work with unless they are most likely at high percents in which case you should just kill with a smash or Bair.

sakujo

Smash Rookie
it does work the way you are saying you just have to becarful not to go out to far with them. falcos upb does not go as far as fox's so sometimes you cant recover. but it does work i have done it before pretty cool move!

moj4991

Smash Cadet
Honestly I say everybody should shffbair in that situation. its really easy to recover from and it has higher knockback and is longer. Bair is godly. In fact it's how i approach. SHFFBair because it hits people in front of you as well they don't have to be behind you.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
then that would mean you have more ways to attack wouldn't it?

Nair and SHDL are better approaches than trying to ShffBair(maybe if you were doing an RAR but keep Bair for Killing since the more you use it the weaker it gets). And using the shffFair is something that should be practiced for surprise attacks.

In other things, i got a video of mm training against a lvl 9 CPU in which I perform the off-stage Fair and successfully recover. Although not an actual match, it should work for real if timed correctly.
I'll try to upload that part of the replay ASAP.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
Drop a bair on them.

Or two.

Unless I see a video of your precious fair doing some miracle work since I don't want to go try it now, then I'll stick to using bair.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
As previously stated, in my experience the Fair works wonders against constant shield-grabbers and as a ledgehop.

As to its other uses I would argue that due to its bonus airtime and stupendous amount of hitframes, it can be used to effectively counter moves such as Phantasms, as you can simply hover where you project they are going to intersect and Fair, nice cancel, decent enough damage, with enough knockback that they have to recover again.

Massiveguns

Smash Apprentice
YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT!!!!
the Fair lasts for like 3 secounds so if they try to spot dodge or if ur timing is less then perfect then it will connect anyway
ALSO THE FAIR HAS SET KNOCKBACK! u can gimp people at like 20 % using this its amazing every1 saying this guy is dumb should feel bad great post and good job pointing out a REALLY UNDERRATED move.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
I've actually done this on accident while try do a dair after my chain-grab. it does work wonders but make sure u hit with it, you'll get easily gimped if u miss. it's also good for shield grabbers as someone said on this thread.:psycho:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
then that would mean you have more ways to attack wouldn't it?

Nair and SHDL are better approaches than trying to ShffBair(maybe if you were doing an RAR but keep Bair for Killing since the more you use it the weaker it gets). And using the shffFair is something that should be practiced for surprise attacks.
Doesn't matter if your Bair gets weak. You just need to do a total of nine other moves to make it strong again. This is much less troublesome then it may seem. For example, if you grab someone and mash A, each of those hits count as a move that will help replenish your Back Air. You can also still combo out of that grab into another move (besides the obvious chain grab). Dash A to Upsmash is pretty useful and can also come out of a grab. Falco can also laser spam, Forward B, and Shine. Also, each hit in the Nair counts as a move.
Fox, Falco, and Metaknight are among the easiest characters to replenish weakened moves. For example, Fox has fast lasers, repeative Dair and Fair hits, very fast grab hits, a fast character in general, etc. Very important to keep Fox's crazy upsmash and back air as strong as possible. Metaknight is pretty self-explanatory.
Also, I personally think SHFF Fair is trouble in every way. You don't get as many hits and Falco has major lag apon landing. I only use it to catch people in the air, sometimes from a ledge hop, and off a chain grab when I can't Dair spike them. Basicallly, whenever I know the lag won't screw me over.

GuiltyPleasure

Smash Cadet
The only use ive seen it work successfully better then a nuetral air is if

A. nuetral air has been used quite a few times and you feel like having a fresh damage count

B. ledge hopped into opponent

other then that nuetral or back air has always worked better for me

Vro

Smash Lord
Fair has the most horizontal knockback in that situation. You could drop down to do a bair, but the generous and long lasting hitboxes of fair just make it easier in that situation.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You can do a backwards forward air just off of the stage above the ledge and fast fall with it. If the opponent gets hit once, they will get sucked in and taken below to a spike off the wall. It's hard to tech because it's hard to predict when they will be hit off into the stage. Sets up pretty nicely for a footstool too Also, this move has a lot of priority. It beats Meta-Knight's glide attack. Don't use it where you're going to land on anything with it still lasting and you should be fine. You can go off the stage with it, just don't second jump before you use it and don't fast fall it unless you're really high or you're asking for death.

Rat

Smash Lord
This is ok. I find it better just to walk off and bair. You face them as you hit but it does pretty much the same thing.

The only other good use for Fair is off of a Dair. About 40-60% they will pop right in front of you. SH Fair is pretty much a guaranteed hit.

GuiltyPleasure

Smash Cadet
Honustly I find up B more usefull then foward air if only for aerial mindgames

Something ive found works quite well using it is trying to intercept someone in the air, and when they go to air dodge it you up+b instead (after playing them for a bit and knowing they'd air dodge) the lag of it works to your advantage and gives you the opportunity to hit them with atleast a bit of damage

does anyone know the priority on foward air? maybe its usefull for beating out other attacks (as said in the prevoius post)

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I feel like contributing to the tactical aspects of falco's game and i have found a cool way of using the f-air. so i will show you all this maneuver.

this works best at mid to higher percents

when you knock your opponent of the stage and he is recovering from below about a 45 degree angle from the ledge, walk off and do your f-air while holding foward the whole time, each hit from fair should connect and the last hit should knock him far enough away from the stage that is beyond recovery.

then to get back on stage use your double jump, and Up+B.

its a risky move but you can get it 85% of the time with practice and works when the opponent is in the right position.

there might be better ways to kill but it gimps vertical recovery very nicely. it doesnt work with opponents who have super armor when they recover ex: snakes up+b ,yoshi's double jump.

(NOTE: If anyone has a webcam, a video editor and a youtube account please leave a note in this thread as well as PM me and i will send you the Vid through WiFi so you can tape it, edit it towards the maneuver part, and post it on your youtube channel, then just PM me the link and i will post it here, Thanks!)

(if you cant host the vid for me and still wanna see it just pm me wifi details)
This is exactly what I was thinking of suggesting it works pretty well and has great priority and when you connect with it you will drag your opponent down with you and then knock them back at an angle that it is hard to recover but it can miss which is annoying and leaves you scrambling to grab the edge before your opponent which is hard to do with the up-B.

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
Im tired of his Fair. Although sometimes it sets the opponent up for a sspppiike!! lol
so yeah i guess the move is alright..

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
1) Is it really true that fair has set knock back?
Can it get through Yoshi's super armor?

2) How much priority does it really have?
Specifically, can it break through another character's recovery move? i.e. Marth's b-up-esque priority (godly), or Mario's b-up-esque priority (seems like a lot, but not really that much)

GuiltyPleasure

Smash Cadet
I disagree, I use it very sparingly but if i know my opponent is going to attempt to airdodge through my attack in the air, instead of attacking I upb and chase an opponent with it, if you get the full effect the knockback from it keeps you safe

The only reason I use it is becuase no one ever uses it, you'd be suprised how often you can catch someone with it

Top Bottom