• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Wolf

Lux

Smash Rookie
Hi, this is my first post, so I apologize if it's not well formatted.

I wanted to ask what are the essential tech's to learn as a new Wolf player. I've heard about Wolf Flash shortening and Wavelanding Lasers, but I don't get a lot of the jargon or tech seen in Wolf match videos. Or, just how to do those tech. Thanks.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Watch tons of TimeMuffin and Switch vids.

Something I do personally: when I sourspot an fsmash as Wolf I immediately start multishinig because there is not as much hitstun or kb, so you are vulnerable. Learning jc shines, waveshine uair / nair, and comboing nair into shine into something else is very important.

Wolf plays the defensive game freaking well. Waveland blasters control the stage pretty well. Blaster themselves are very good (come out frame 2), and I believe that at close range the blaster itself has its own hitbox, but I'm not sure.

Wolf's neutral is scary good. He has very good options, such as simply fastfalling nairs, retreating fairs, and rar bair (which is a vital part of wolf).

Offense / combo game is also insane. Learn to DACUS.

As for stages, you must know that Wolf lives forever, so I usually try to go to Dream Land, although smaller stages work geat too.

Watch Chillin's wolf tutorial also, I personally learned a lot from it.

Lux

Smash Rookie
A lot is going over my head, but a few things I need explanation on:

I've tried Wavelanding Blaster, but I haven't been able to do it quite yet. Is there just some specific frame that I need to get down to muscle memory? I can do DACUS just fine, but this just gets away from me. I've kind of done a shortening of Wolf Flash, but the same applies to Wavelanding Blaster: it's hard for me to get the frame.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I've tried Wavelanding Blaster, but I haven't been able to do it quite yet. Is there just some specific frame that I need to get down to muscle memory? I can do DACUS just fine, but this just gets away from me. I've kind of done a shortening of Wolf Flash, but the same applies to Wavelanding Blaster: it's hard for me to get the frame.
When I first picked up Wolf I thought you had to fullhop in order to get the waveland, but you don't, but it's pretty close to when you hit the ground. It just takes some time to get the timing down and I still airdodge sideways sometimes.

Lux

Smash Rookie
Okay, I think I get it. After practicing a little, I believe I can try that out.

Also, what works best when recovering back to the field from the top or bottom of the stage? I find myself trying to switch up Side B and Up B to recover, yet missing the angle. I've heard about carrying momentum with your shine, but how does that happen.

I know these may seem like obvious questions, thanks.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
lso, what works best when recovering back to the field from the top or bottom of the stage?
If you are up high you will want to send Wolf at a various angle with Up-B; probably down somewhat, because if you are high they can just up air you, but keep in mind that Wolf falls very, very fast. if you are under the stage, you can actually angle Wolf's side-b up and down to get separate angles. Try this out in training mode, it's pretty cool.

I've heard about carrying momentum with your shine, but how does that happen.
What you are referring to is called a Chillin Dash. It is performed by running off the stage, and just before you fall off, shine-jumping. It is a tough technique and I haven't mastered it yet.

Lux

Smash Rookie
Didn't know about angling Wolf, that might explain a lot.

Randomman14

Smash Cadet
Didn't know about angling Wolf, that might explain a lot.
If Im not mistaken wolf has 3 different angles to his side B that you get by aiming up or down after hitting the B button. He also has 3 different lengths to it but im not sure of the timings.

Lux

Smash Rookie
If Im not mistaken wolf has 3 different angles to his side B that you get by aiming up or down after hitting the B button. He also has 3 different lengths to it but im not sure of the timings.
After playing around for the past week, I've kind of been able to get the shortest and largest length to his Side B, but never the medium. It's kind of similar to wavelanding blaster, I suppose.

Randomman14

Smash Cadet
After playing around for the past week, I've kind of been able to get the shortest and largest length to his Side B, but never the medium. It's kind of similar to wavelanding blaster, I suppose.
Yea it just takes practice. Wolf is kind of a pocket for me. I picked him up so I could get a better understanding of his options when playing against him.

Randomman14

Smash Cadet
i think that everyone should play some wolf at least so you can understand him because he's so good.
I Usually play Zelda against spacies so i wanted to know if i can still use the same combos as well as what to watch out for. plus i felt like i should probably play one of the 3

Lux

Smash Rookie
I Usually play Zelda against spacies so i wanted to know if i can still use the same combos as well as what to watch out for. plus i felt like i should probably play one of the 3
Yeah, just having a spacie in a bag is nice. It's so different than any other archetype.

Top Bottom