• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to the Suirtile.

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys! Name's NyTR0, Sonic main, pleasure to meet you all! Been playing PMDT for a looooong while now and back in 3.0 I remember touching Squirtle but never really ever decided to learn him but for some reason today I decided that I actually wanted to pick him up and it feels great cause I never got experience his old stuff so the changes never really hit me hard. Any tips you guys can give? MU? Is there MU that Squirtle has that maybe sonic struggles against? And preffered stages? Thanks and I can't wait to be more in touch with the squirtle forums!

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
Hey, guys! Name's NyTR0, Sonic main, pleasure to meet you all! Been playing PMDT for a looooong while now and back in 3.0 I remember touching Squirtle but never really ever decided to learn him but for some reason today I decided that I actually wanted to pick him up and it feels great cause I never got experience his old stuff so the changes never really hit me hard. Any tips you guys can give? MU? Is there MU that Squirtle has that maybe sonic struggles against? And preffered stages? Thanks and I can't wait to be more in touch with the squirtle forums!
I don't know... try doing a sling-shot **** cancelled shell shift aqua rest and see how that works

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
I don't know... try doing a sling-shot **** cancelled shell shift aqua rest and see how that works
I actually managed to get down the shell shifting mechanics. Jump canceled grabs, hydro grabs, smash attacks, wave dashes and stuff like that. I'm still trash though. Thanks for the link, dude!

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
So Sonic plays quite similar to Squirtle. Just need to adapt to the different tools. Instead raw speed in dd/run, Squirtle abusing the weird turn around (as you know). Most of it is pretty intuitive, but here's an example anyways. You land a spaced bair on shield. You dash away expected them to retaliate with a Nair. This whiffs and you immediately shellshift hydrograb and zip in and grab them. There are lots of situations like that where because they have less options, you can bait and abuse your burst speed.

Other non-hydro stuff. Dtilt is great. Like a Roy dtilt (interupt on frame 23). First hit can always be asdi'd down and shield before the second hit, be wary. Safe on shield, combos almost always, and its quick (frame 3).

Bubble is your go to anti cc option. Puts them in a trip tech situation. Also safe on shield when spaced. Tech chase with it. Also deals with dis joint quite well. Only loses to projectiles (can't clank) and preemptive jumps. Also slows you down a bit. If you have good reaction speed, try working on reaction tech chasing. Its great.

Our initial dash is really short (like sheik), so crouch out of run dtilt/bubble is really good. Most tail attacks have intangible tails during strong hits (up air, back air, down air, f tilt, D tilt,). Nair has a low angle (30?), dair stuffs most verticle recoveries, bair does most horizontal. Water gun is like sheik needles. Leads to grabs when close, off stage is really good on horizontal stuff. Withdraw is safe on shield. Uair into up b is pretty good. Weak up air (the back hit) has a 90 degree angle and is weaker, so it into aqua jet is amazing.

That's most of the raw little things. Otherwise just slide everywhere and do stuffs.

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
So Sonic plays quite similar to Squirtle. Just need to adapt to the different tools. Instead raw speed in dd/run, Squirtle abusing the weird turn around (as you know). Most of it is pretty intuitive, but here's an example anyways. You land a spaced bair on shield. You dash away expected them to retaliate with a Nair. This whiffs and you immediately shellshift hydrograb and zip in and grab them. There are lots of situations like that where because they have less options, you can bait and abuse your burst speed.

Other non-hydro stuff. Dtilt is great. Like a Roy dtilt (interupt on frame 23). First hit can always be asdi'd down and shield before the second hit, be wary. Safe on shield, combos almost always, and its quick (frame 3).

Bubble is your go to anti cc option. Puts them in a trip tech situation. Also safe on shield when spaced. Tech chase with it. Also deals with dis joint quite well. Only loses to projectiles (can't clank) and preemptive jumps. Also slows you down a bit. If you have good reaction speed, try working on reaction tech chasing. Its great.

Our initial dash is really short (like sheik), so crouch out of run dtilt/bubble is really good. Most tail attacks have intangible tails during strong hits (up air, back air, down air, f tilt, D tilt,). Nair has a low angle (30?), dair stuffs most verticle recoveries, bair does most horizontal. Water gun is like sheik needles. Leads to grabs when close, off stage is really good on horizontal stuff. Withdraw is safe on shield. Uair into up b is pretty good. Weak up air (the back hit) has a 90 degree angle and is weaker, so it into aqua jet is amazing.

That's most of the raw little things. Otherwise just slide everywhere and do stuffs.
Thanks a ton, man!

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
When I was messing around with sonic I remembered one more thing. Side b grabs the ledge out of the cancel animation.

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
When I was messing around with sonic I remembered one more thing. Side b grabs the ledge out of the cancel animation.
Yep usually when I want ledgehog as sonic I run off stage and quickly side b to grab ledge. I noticed with squirtle if you cancel his withdraw you can do pretty much the same. Pretty neat.

Last edited:

Cp022

Smash Rookie
Squirtle Definetly looks like an awesome main IMO, but I just can't seem to be able to c-stick out of WD, any help :p?

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle Definetly looks like an awesome main IMO, but I just can't seem to be able to c-stick out of WD, any help :p?
Only reason why he's not my main is cause I've been maining Sonic since 3.0.
If you plan on maining Squirtle I definitely recommend you do. Super fun to play and amazing options for almost anything. When you say WD do you mean wavedash or withdraw? If you mean Withdraw, to do up smash just jump as soon as you do the WD and then cancel your jump by immediately hitting the c stick up before squirtle even leaves the ground. (Basically ALMOST at the same time)

Top Bottom