• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to the site but not to smash.....still need help training

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
Good evening everyone, I am new to the side but not to the world of Super Smash Brothers. I've actually been browsing this side anonymously without any membership for a couple of weeks now, just now getting my feet wet. I've been playing Super Smash Brothers since its beginning back in 1999 and I have kept up with each game since. Unfortunately I don't play much smash 64 melee or brawl anymore, mostly super smash for the Wii U and soon to the 3ds.

When I first started playing smash on the Nintendo 64 my main was always Mario mainly because of his coin jump and down b technique, I kept him as my main in melee but then I started to switch to Fox. I never played much brawl because I never owned a Nintendo Wii but both of my close friends had a Wii and I would play whenever I could and often main either Mario or sonic. Now in the new instalment, my new mains our little Mac and the mii brawler. I also main cloud and villager from time to time. For the most part little Mac is my main, I have been playing with him ever since the games debut.

As my title says, although I am a veteran in the series I am still very much a rookie and from what I have seen I cannot keep up with the current competition lol I am hoping I can gain insight from everybody in the forums and definitely step my game up so I can compete professionally next with my team. Sorry for the long introduction lol

Ps-excuse any typos

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here or here to socialize and have fun.

Check out the new Smash Connect forums for user based services including artwork and customization services.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
What's up, dude. Always good to see people picking the series back up from when they were younger.

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
What's up, dude. Always good to see people picking the series back up from when they were younger.
yeah its beena few years since i have played it so much lol i was playing 10-12 hours a day on my off days from school when melee first came out, i couldnt be stopped lol never been to a single tournament and just challenged friends and peers from my school. my mother was always so scary and strict so i never went to any tournaments when i was heavy on the melee and street fighter scene. now i have decided to give it a shot and have changed my mains quite a bit but now im on fox for ssb wii u. just need to find a good training regiment so i can keep up and improve so i can compete professionally. i play online each time i get on the game,just to fight people stronger than me so i can see what im up against. any other suggestions? its been a while since i have played. i skipped brawl because i never owned a wii

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
yeah its beena few years since i have played it so much lol i was playing 10-12 hours a day on my off days from school when melee first came out, i couldnt be stopped lol never been to a single tournament and just challenged friends and peers from my school. my mother was always so scary and strict so i never went to any tournaments when i was heavy on the melee and street fighter scene. now i have decided to give it a shot and have changed my mains quite a bit but now im on fox for ssb wii u. just need to find a good training regiment so i can keep up and improve so i can compete professionally. i play online each time i get on the game,just to fight people stronger than me so i can see what im up against. any other suggestions? its been a while since i have played. i skipped brawl because i never owned a wii
First establish a main, a name, and a mission. You need to see who you will play, what your persona will be in regard to your local play, and an idea of your immediate goals. Where are you from, my guy?

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
First establish a main, a name, and a mission. You need to see who you will play, what your persona will be in regard to your local play, and an idea of your immediate goals. Where are you from, my guy?
ive chose fox as my main but im not sure how to train with him, thats where i am needing guidance. my mission is to work on my reaction time and practicing at faster speeds, i am a speed junkie which is why i main fox and mac. i am from tennessee, never ever considered looking for a local scene until now but i dont want to start playing outside of level 9's until i can getting my feet wet a bit more. i can barely keep up with level 9's at this time,im working on learning the basic movesets and working my way up

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
ive chose fox as my main but im not sure how to train with him, thats where i am needing guidance. my mission is to work on my reaction time and practicing at faster speeds, i am a speed junkie which is why i main fox and mac. i am from tennessee, never ever considered looking for a local scene until now but i dont want to start playing outside of level 9's until i can getting my feet wet a bit more. i can barely keep up with level 9's at this time,im working on learning the basic movesets and working my way up
The feeling of being too bad to learn from one on one play is understandable but also kind of silly. Learning to play Fox is an challenging but rewarding climb.

Here is a Playlist outlining basic competitive techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHhCC2OA-oEzBEzwP6xgEadqHI4IxG1cF

Here is a playlist tailored specifically to improving with Fox.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHhCC2OA-oEwlh6T367pfm21Eq86S7ieG

What area of Tennessee do you live in?

ZCUB3D

Smash Rookie
NNID
zman27
3DS FC
3695-0025-4699
Good evening everyone, I am new to the side but not to the world of Super Smash Brothers. I've actually been browsing this side anonymously without any membership for a couple of weeks now, just now getting my feet wet. I've been playing Super Smash Brothers since its beginning back in 1999 and I have kept up with each game since. Unfortunately I don't play much smash 64 melee or brawl anymore, mostly super smash for the Wii U and soon to the 3ds.

When I first started playing smash on the Nintendo 64 my main was always Mario mainly because of his coin jump and down b technique, I kept him as my main in melee but then I started to switch to Fox. I never played much brawl because I never owned a Nintendo Wii but both of my close friends had a Wii and I would play whenever I could and often main either Mario or sonic. Now in the new instalment, my new mains our little Mac and the mii brawler. I also main cloud and villager from time to time. For the most part little Mac is my main, I have been playing with him ever since the games debut.

As my title says, although I am a veteran in the series I am still very much a rookie and from what I have seen I cannot keep up with the current competition lol I am hoping I can gain insight from everybody in the forums and definitely step my game up so I can compete professionally next with my team. Sorry for the long introduction lol

Ps-excuse any typos
hey man, looks like we're in a similar situation. While I haven't played forever, I'd love to play against some other people, plus we're both new to the forums. Lemme know

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
hey man, looks like we're in a similar situation. While I haven't played forever, I'd love to play against some other people, plus we're both new to the forums. Lemme know
Would love some do training partners, PM me so we can exchange information and play online

UpsettedFizz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Defender5X
Would love some do training partners, PM me so we can exchange information and play online
If you ever need a sparring partner I'm always down, my NNID can be found under my avatar and I can be contacted on Skype, Kik, and Discord through the username "UpsettedFizz"

YoYo-She

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2981-7171-0997
I'm new too, and starting to get the hang of using Yoshi (though losing to the level 9 CPU is pretty bad.) I'm just trying to understand the frame, lag, etc. part.

Mr.Bond

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-9475-7122
iam in the same boat as you new to the forms played since 64 n melee not brawl and wasnt around when smash4 came out but i got it a few months ago and cant put it down. would love to get wayyy better. i main link and roy mostly link feel free to send me your friemd code (only on 3ds no wii u ;(

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
I'm new too, and starting to get the hang of using Yoshi (though losing to the level 9 CPU is pretty bad.) I'm just trying to understand the frame, lag, etc. part.
Are you trying to play Yoshi in melee?

He's one of those characters that takes a long time to git gud with but is actually amazing like Puff or Pikachu. You won't have immediate success like a Sheik, Icies, Marth or Falco might have.

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22

Ps-excuse any typos
yeah, I'm looking for sparring people as well. I can't say I have a set schedule of when I can play. I'll try to pop in for at least 30-60 minutes if I can.
WiiU NNID: AscendingPsychic

Greasy Mawf

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm looking for a sparring partner as well, I usually main with link and am training my Lucas game. I'm typically on after 8pm est until 11pm. My nnid is greasy_mawf

Top Bottom