• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to the Kong, I want some tips.

fancypanda98

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm really new to project m and smash in general and found I had a strange love for how DK plays. I have watched and read everything donkey kong on the forum but I have a few direct questions.

1. After cargo up throw I can never get an up-air. They always DI too far away and I end up having to use a b-air. Is it that I'm not moving enough after the toss or that I just have to throw out the up-air and kinda hope it hits?

2. I'm having trouble edge guarding. Whenever I get them off stage what is usually the way I want to go, hop on ledge or sit on stage and set up my b-airs?

3. Other than the obvious L-canceling, b-reversing, and jump-cancel-grab, do I have to learn any super serious techniques? Being barely 5'3" at 16 I have small hands and have trouble with wave dashing I just want to know if anything super serious (moonwalking and other things) to be an effective Donkey Kong?

Thanks everybody who posts back in reply and I'm glad I have found such a neat character.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
dude i spent several nights writing a long ass DK guide u should start there lol. It's called Donkey Kollege

fancypanda98

Smash Rookie
dude i spent several nights writing a long *** DK guide u should start there lol. It's called Donkey Kollege
I read that ( and btw thank you sooo much for that) I'll go over it again. See stuff I now understand and try to hit the lab asap

POOB

Smash Journeyman
For your first question, usually you want to dash toward the direction they DI and then jump immediately after the dash, and double jump if necessary. Second, there's an edgeguarding section in the guide. And third, there isn't really anything technical you have to learn about DK that I can think of. The only thing that comes to mind that you didn't mention is short hop auto cancel bairs and up airs :)

Trombone Kong

Smash Rookie
Wait what, you can auto cancel the Bair as well? OH WELL. THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING. Thanks you POOB :D

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why i also miss the cargoUp+Uair.Maybe it has been changed in 3.5 and the guide need to be update

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I don't know why i also miss the cargoUp+Uair.Maybe it has been changed in 3.5 and the guide need to be update
Well it is guaranteed on most if not all of the cast, but you do have to read their DI and trust me that was not a change in 3.5. Honestly you just need to practice it because it isn't that hard. What characters are you missing it against?

Last edited:

POOB

Smash Journeyman
TO do up throw up air you should REACT to their DI, DASH toward them (assuming they DI left or right) then jump and up air. Most people leave out the "dash" when explaining how to do it. Focus on your opponents location the moment you up throw so u can react asap to his DI

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Well it is guaranteed on most if not all of the cast, but you do have to read their DI and trust me that was not a change in 3.5. Honestly you just need to practice it because it isn't that hard. What characters are you missing it against?
Usualy against luigi in practice mode at "cruel" difficulty Lebel.

Top Bottom