• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to smash, learning mario

SCARCASM

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I'm new to the entire series so I don't have all of the movement skills down.. hell i still mess up with short hops sometimes. I know i need to work on that drastically, but for the time being I had some questions to help me out

1- I SUCK at approaching as mario. What are some easier techniques to use?

2- What is the gameplan for when they are around 60%? I know in lower percents when you get a grab you can usually downthrow and string a few up tilts and then maybe catch them with a up/down air after... but when they get to those mid percents you can only really get 1 up tilt before they start going too high. what are the throw combos at that point, or should i worry less about grabs?

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Some approaching options with Mario are short hop down air, short hop neutral air and full hop fireball and then run behind the fireball.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
There's a Q & A thread, so please use that next time.

Mario isn't that great at approaching. You want to space with RAR back airs, throw out neutral airs if you expect them to come to you and slowly work your way in by dashing then shielding and then punishing out of shield via grabs or other out of shield options. Short hop dair isn't really an approach option. It's pretty decent for pressuring opponents who are above you. Fireballs can be used out of a full hop, but it's not the best option.

At around 60% or so, you should try going for up air combos off of grabs. At earlier percents, you can try to use Down Tilt as a combo starter and then follow up with Up Tilt. There should be a combo thread somewhere here so check it out. Try out the combos listed and for the time being, stick to the ones that you find practical. On certain stages (battlefield, dreamland), you can combo up air into itself and finish off the combo with an up-b once you reach the ceiling. This can kill opponents at mid-high percents.

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
I don't main mario, but I do use him effectively as people who do main Mario. You can probably call me Ally Knight :p. Anyways, the best way to approach someone using mario would be his back air. Short hop B-air to fastfall repeat is a good approach for pressuring opponents. Full hop + Neutral B is always good to make non-reflecting characters to approach you.

GibranSalazar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gibran78
Hey guys,

I'm new to the entire series so I don't have all of the movement skills down.. hell i still mess up with short hops sometimes. I know i need to work on that drastically, but for the time being I had some questions to help me out

1- I SUCK at approaching as mario. What are some easier techniques to use?

2- What is the gameplan for when they are around 60%? I know in lower percents when you get a grab you can usually downthrow and string a few up tilts and then maybe catch them with a up/down air after... but when they get to those mid percents you can only really get 1 up tilt before they start going too high. what are the throw combos at that point, or should i worry less about grabs?

Just study Ally's matches honestly

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I would give some tips, but i'm not sure how effective Dr. Mario advice would be since that is the Mario I play...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Nah bruh theres nothing wrong with watching top level play. You can learn so much from it.
I never said there's nothing wrong with it. There is a difference between knowing something and doing something, however. That's the point I am making, which is why you won't attain anything by watching videos of some professional player. That'd be like me watching Ally and then playing against others, expecting to perform better. It doesn't work that way.

BSP

Smash Legend
I never said there's nothing wrong with it. There is a difference between knowing something and doing something, however. That's the point I am making, which is why you won't attain anything by watching videos of some professional player. That'd be like me watching Ally and then playing against others, expecting to perform better. It doesn't work that way.
IDK man. Right now I'm not sure how to approach Rosa, or if I even should to begin with, in Mario vs Rosa. My current plan is to go look at ally vs dabuz that happened a while back and see what Ally did and didn't do to handle neutral, and then I'll try to incorporate those ideas into my own play.

GibranSalazar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gibran78
I would still reccomend watching those videos it would be dumb not to

Crystanium

Smash Hero
IDK man. Right now I'm not sure how to approach Rosa, or if I even should to begin with, in Mario vs Rosa. My current plan is to go look at ally vs dabuz that happened a while back and see what Ally did and didn't do to handle neutral, and then I'll try to incorporate those ideas into my own play.
That would be the appropriate thing to do.

I would still reccomend watching those videos it would be dumb not to
I'm not saying you shouldn't watch them. I'm simply saying that watching them won't mean you'll attain anything. You'll attain knowledge, sure, but not experience. As you can see, I think BSP has the right idea.

GibranSalazar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gibran78
That would be the appropriate thing to do.

I'm not saying you shouldn't watch them. I'm simply saying that watching them won't mean you'll attain anything. You'll attain knowledge, sure, but not experience. As you can see, I think BSP has the right idea.

Lmao of course u wont get exprience from it but IT WILL HELP YOU ALOT smh why is this so difficult

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
The thing about Mario is that he has like NO range so applying pressure is always good to do with Mario Try throwing some fireballs to bait the opponent to come to you or if they keep shielding run in for the grab because a lot of times they will shield expecting another fireball. That's when you unleash Mario's Utilt and Uair barrage. Haha Also use his Bair to space your opponent out because it's his most ranged move and comes out really fast. Also, if you can get your opponent in the air and they are trying to land punish them with an up smash because his head is invincible during it. Dthrow to up B is pretty much a combo at higher percents. Mario is very combo oriented so mixing it up is key. You don't want to be too predictable with Mario.

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
1. In neutral fireballs and RAR back air are best. You might also want to mix it up by throwing in a few tomahawks if the opponent is shielding a lot expecting the other two options.
2. Up air combos, try going to stages like dreamland and battlefield to extend combos.

*Most importantly remember to practice. Being familiar with a character and playing them for a long time can help you understand the character better. Watch videos and try to understand why pros are choosing certain options in different situations.

Top Bottom