• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Smash 4 Sheik, looking for advice

Who is the best character in Sm4sh?

• Diddy

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Cloud

• Sheik

• Bayo

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Rosaluma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the Above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bboss

Smash Journeyman
After a lot of research I have concluded that Sheik (along with Bayo) is the best character in the game. (Plz, these are just my opinions, dont get defensive if you're a Cloud player and you think he is the best). So I am new to her, and I know that Bouncing Fish, Up-B, and Usmash are all great finishers. I know fthrow -> bouncing fish is a good combo, and I know dthrow works wonders into uair and fair, but other than that im clueless. Anyone have any advice?

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
I'd go check out the Sheik section in guides and on the forums, there is a ton of information on how to play her, finishing options, play-style choices etc. and you should also check out the following channels on YouTube: Deku Tree, Fyasko, Beefy Smash Doods, Izaw.

In terms of VOD's some top players of Sheik include and are not limited to Void, Mr R, Vinnie, K9Bruce, False and Puppeh.

At this point there is so much information about Sheik available for you to find but this lot should definitely get you started.

Sheik is a lot of work though, so if you want to play her effectively and to a high standard you do need to put in a lot of time and practice to get her movement down.

She is very technical but extremely rewarding once you start to master her. She benefits very highly from fast falling and it is a basic requirement for Sheik mains because of her bread and butter combos and Fair strings.

Killing can be an issue as there is a heavy requirement on reading your opponents options but there is a lot of content on YouTube and here on SB that should help you understand what options you want to look for.

She can also utilise tech such as wave-bouncing, b-reversing, jump cancelling and needle cancelling to help improve on her already amazing neutral and movement game. Although this is stuff you want to focus on later down the line once you have your fundamentals, movement and grasped the concept of reading down.

First thing I would do though is learn to use Tilt Stick (Change C stick from Smash to tilts). This allows far greater control for Sheik with her tilts which can lead into some extremely strong combos. This makes using Smashing slightly harder but since they aren't great overall it shouldn't affect you to much. Her Up Smash is great though but can be worked into your game plan using Jump cancelling which will soon enough become just as natural.

Another controller change would be to set L to either Jump or Special, this is because it makes it far easier to buffer needles whilst jumping for the Needles to bouncing fish combo. Although this can be learn later down the line quite easily.

Otherwise good luck, shes a top 5 character no doubt and a lot of fun to play but she does require a lot of dedication and hard work to master. It should all be worth it by the end though!

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice! I am just wondering why Tilt Stick is important. My friend who regularly wins tournaments uses tilt sticks, and he is very very talented, but he mains falcon. It's not like I can't do tilts with the A button... is it just faster? Or more convenient?

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Thanks for the advice! I am just wondering why Tilt Stick is important. My friend who regularly wins tournaments uses tilt sticks, and he is very very talented, but he mains falcon. It's not like I can't do tilts with the A button... is it just faster? Or more convenient?
It gives you more control over aerial movement when doing SH aerials and makes Perfect Pivot Tilt string realistic.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
what i dont understand is the shorthop aerial movement... how does it make it better? its not like tilt stick can skip the first few frames of animation of a nair or uair... is it just easier to reach with fingers?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
what i dont understand is the shorthop aerial movement... how does it make it better? its not like tilt stick can skip the first few frames of animation of a nair or uair... is it just easier to reach with fingers?
If your c-stick is set to smashes then doing aerials using it will force you to change your momentum, making it impossible to do retreating fairs. Fair moves you forward with smash stick so you can't fall back with it. Same applies to other aerials. It's a very annoying bug/mechanic.

This doesn't happen with tilt stick. You can test it yourself, the difference is very noticeable. With smash stick falling back while using fair on c-stick is like going against a really strong current, you can't do it. Tilt stick is smooth and seamless.

I also think tilts out of walking with Sheik are REALLY important/very very good and that's an added bonus to using tilt stick.

Last edited:

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
If your c-stick is set to smashes then doing aerials using it will force you to change your momentum, making it impossible to do retreating fairs. Fair moves you forward with smash stick so you can't fall back with it. Same applies to other aerials. It's a very annoying bug/mechanic.

This doesn't happen with tilt stick. You can test it yourself, the difference is very noticeable. With smash stick falling back while using fair on c-stick is like going against a really strong current, you can't do it. Tilt stick is smooth and seamless.

I also think tilts out of walking with Sheik are REALLY important/very very good and that's an added bonus to using tilt stick.
Yeah pretty much this, it also can dramatically help with your neutral game imo. Sheik's tilts are far more worth while than her smashs and having instant access to them for strings will help stop your opponent escaping them because you can complete them near as possible to frame perfect. I found it near on impossible to play without tilt stick with Sheik as I ended up using Smashes when I didn't want to. Might not be the case with everyone but I definitely found that to be my experience!

Best thing to do is try it and see for yourself, it'll be strange at first but worth it in the end since you really want to be avoiding using most smashes over than Up Smash. I personally only ever side smash for a harder read for a horizontal kill or down smash to punish players who roll to much. But even then your normally better doing something else.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Thanks a lot. So it's just a bug in the game's code that you can't do a retreating fair with smash stick?
1. If you use Smash-Stick for areals, you can't control your areal movement while holding the Stick in one direction.
2. Tilt stick also helps you when using PP tilts.

Top Bottom