• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
What are the main applications of D-tilt? I know it hits below the ledge, but I don't see it as useful considering it is mainly a lower-ranged F-tilt.

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
What are the main applications of D-tilt? I know it hits below the ledge, but I don't see it as useful considering it is mainly a lower-ranged F-tilt.
D-tilt, when hit with the tip of Sheik's foot, has WAAAY less knockback than f-tilt, and thus can actually set up for guaranteed up air at kill percents which f-tilt can't. The non-tip can also set up for combos, and during the tilt, Sheik's body has a smaller hitbox. Also, you can slide with it after perfect pivoting or wave landing, which you can't do with f-tilt.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Does anyone know the frame disadvantage on sheik's rising fair on block?
The formula for shield-stun is Damage/1.75 + 2 rounded down. Fair does 4.3/5% damage based on the hitbox. For both you will get 4 frames of shield stun. Sheik's shorthop lasts 32 frames without a fastfall, so around 24 with. Assuming it's a frame-perfect Fair you are -20 frames on block.

Last edited:

Numonik

Smash Rookie
What is the best way (optimal) to punish spot dodge spam?
I find it hard to punish with up smash with delay (charged). The timing is tight.
What do you use to punish it?
Maybe jab or down smash or something else?

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
I find it hard to punish with up smash with delay (charged). The timing is tight.
I use grab or down tilt most of the time, and a smash attack at kill percents

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I suggest an attack whose hit box stays out for a while, like Dsmash or Nair. Since there are only a few frames between spot dodges, it's best to be safe.

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
I suggest an attack whose hit box stays out for a while, like Dsmash or Nair. Since there are only a few frames between spot dodges, it's best to be safe.
There's actually a minimum 10-frame lag window before action after a spot dodge, and technically spot dodge actually comes out frame 2 so it's an 11-frame punish window. :p sorry

(Duck Hunt is the ONLY character with a 9-frame spot dodge lag but that's still a 10-frame window)

Last edited:

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Is it possible to convert to a Bouncing Fish from a ledge trump? The one who is trumped has a 29 frame window where they can't do anything; could you hit them with B-reverse BF from the ledge?

Last edited:

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to convert to a Bouncing Fish from a ledge trump? The one who is trumped has a 29 frame window where they can't do anything; could you hit them with B-reverse BF from the ledge?
No.
(Furiously tests to confirm before any replies)

Because you have to wait some 15 frames before action after grabbing the ledge, the 17-frame bouncing fish is too slow. However, you can get a guaranteed back air

Last edited:

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
No.
(Furiously tests to confirm before any replies)

Because you have to wait some 15 frames before action after grabbing the ledge, the 27-frame bouncing fish is too slow. However, you can get a guaranteed back air
I though at it's earliest BF came out on frame 16? If that is the case, your opponent would have just two frames to get out, and even then some jumps would not get away in time.

Last edited:

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
I though at it's earliest BF came out on frame 16? If that is the case, your opponent would have just two frames to get out.
Wow excuse me, I meant 17 lol. However, it is still escapable, like you said. You'll have to check the actual ledge grab lag because I was just guessing and I can't find it anywhere

Last edited:

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Wow excuse me, I meant 17 lol. However, it is still escapable, like you said. You'll have to check the actual ledge grab lag because I was just guessing and I can't find it anywhere
It's frame 22, acording the the Smash 4 general techniques discussion, so there is no way to land it. Thank you for the info!

Cold_Ninja_Emperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
clauderson
3DS FC
1134-8450-3228
question as a sheik player what each of my control should be on my gamecube controller ???? and do someone has a trick to apply well a fair planning :):):)

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I'm basically pointing out that I covered both of those in the guide. I suppose I can stick them here:
Recommended Controls
It's certainly possible to play Sheik with the default controls, but there are some key optimization that can be made.

The most popular is probably to set the C-stick to Attack over Smash, since her smash attacks are lackluster compared to her tilts, and using Smash stick in the air affects aerial momentum.
Another key change is to assign Jump to one of the triggers - L/R/Z on a GameCube controller or L/R/LZ/RZ on a Wii U controller. This allows you to easily input attacks as soon as she jumps, which is often happening.
Another common change is to set Special to a trigger in order to use the C-bounce tech (link at the bottom of this guide).
Finally, make whatever other changes you feel most comfortable with. If you like attacking with L or grabbing with X, then go for it! Whatever feels best to you is what you should use.
Fairplane
The high speed and low knockback of Fair allow Sheik to use it multiple times in a row and even carry some characters across the stage. In practice, this attack will only combo a few times, as an opponent will eventually be able to jump, air dodge, or interrupt with an attack of their own; nevertheless, it's a good idea to practice this for as long as possible. Keep in mind that the rising Fair is the form of the move most used and that you should fast fall as soon as possible to jump again.

I recommend practicing on a large, flat stage - I made my own huge stage and recommend doing the same - and trying to carry a fat character like Donkey Kong across the stage. This will get you used to the fast fall timing on hit, proper range of the attack, and a general idea of the move's knockback growth. Of course, once you're familiar with the feel of the attack, it's best to practice on a variety of characters of different weight, fall speed, etc.

D

Deleted member

How can i know where the Weak N-Air will send my opponent (In front or behind) ?
The Tip sends in front and the start of the move behind ?

Last edited by a moderator:

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
How can i know where the Weak N-Air will send my opponent (In front or behind) ?
The move's hit boxes are split pretty half-and-half along Sheik's leg, so it should't be too hard to see before it lands

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
You can also actually react to where it sends them if you're not sure. I know this because I practiced it so I could do soft nair > bf consistently. sometimes nair would send them backwards and i couldn't react to it but now i can

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
Heya im having trouble with aerial needles into bouncing fish.
Either i land before down b can come out, or it down b straight up doesnt connect.
Is there a maybe guide to it somewhere Where i can get in depth info on it?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Heya im having trouble with aerial needles into bouncing fish.
Either i land before down b can come out, or it down b straight up doesnt connect.
Is there a maybe guide to it somewhere Where i can get in depth info on it?
It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. A few tips:
  • This is a high-percent combo, so don't expect to get it further down
  • Be sure that you're releasing the needles as soon as you leave the ground; you only have a few frames you can delay it before you can't BF before landing
  • Always use a full hand of needles, and always do it out of a full hop
You can find a full list of the true combo percents here, along with some tips on performing it correctly.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What Sheik moves force tech chases?
Soft nair and fast falling uair at high percent and I believe that's it.

On battlefield/dreamland you can get an fthrow or a fair and they'd tumble down on the side platform. This can be an opportunity to utilt jab lock them but its extremely hard/situational/niche.

Trash Boat

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBossDude
Ok, I've been playing sheik for a while. And I've gotten a good feeling for the character and her fundamentals, but my results have just plateaued and not getting, or feeling any better. I'm able to read DI, plan fairs and know all of the void combos. I want to know if it's my fundamentals of the game, or an I doing something wrong. Thanks.

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I've been playing sheik for a while. And I've gotten a good feeling for the character and her fundamentals, but my results have just plateaued and not getting, or feeling any better. I'm able to read DI, plan fairs and know all of the void combos. I want to know if it's my fundamentals of the game, or an I doing something wrong. Thanks.
You have to give more information than that. Just based on what you said, I'd assume your neutral game isn't as strong as it could be.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
I don't think we have that yet. If I'm wrong, someone please point me to it because I'd love to know that
Well it's understandable. It would take a lot of work.

Often times I'm going even in percents with someone but then my rage is too high for dthrow uair to work lol so it's something to think about

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice

Often times I'm going even in percents with someone but then my rage is too high for dthrow uair to work lol so it's something to think about
I think a lot of Sheiks just unconsciously know the general percent range that it works with and without rage because they've done it so many times

HoSmash4

Smash Ace

I can give you a very ROUGH fairly inaccurate idea to play around with what data i've collected (i.e killed in tourney match because staling/rage is a real thing and too many variables to test)
Take the ranges inbetween as guarantees as when dthrow uair kills.
no rage
Rosalina 113-140
Diddy: 128-160
Sheik: starts around 115
Toon link: 108
MK: 112-158

100-130% rage
Sheik: 88% with 130% rage DOESNT KILL
Olimar: 80% (130%) rage

60-100%
MK can die at 99% with 94% rage.

Very rough, floaties make the downthrow uair stop working earlier
theres probably a 30% range on average that people will die to the downthrow uair 50/50.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
I think a lot of Sheiks just unconsciously know the general percent range that it works with and without rage because they've done it so many times
yeah for sure.

actually if i have too much rage i just toss needles and look for either ftilt or a read from fthrow instead of dthrow

edit: oh snap thanks dude above. yeah floaties really bother me with my throw followups lol

Last edited:

Cold_Ninja_Emperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
clauderson
3DS FC
1134-8450-3228
do someone as link of a thread or the page of this thread about sheik combo ... that willbe appreciated ^-^ ( i sound like an asshole ahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha XD) thank

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
do someone as link of a thread or the page of this thread about sheik combo ... that willbe appreciated ^-^ ( i sound like an ******* ahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha XD) thank
There's a great list of strings and true combos here, and if you're looking for more in-depth information like frame data or percents on particular ones, you'll find all that in the Sheikah Library.

Last edited:

<Chewy>

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamisawesome
So my secondary is Sheik and I can't seem to needle fidget. Am I not doing it right or did they remove it? Sorry, I haven't played Sheik for a while. Trying to make my Sheik better!! :-)

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
So my secondary is Sheik and I can't seem to needle fidget. Am I not doing it right or did they remove it? Sorry, I haven't played Sheik for a while. Trying to make my Sheik better!! :-)
You have to cancel and then use a special attack very quickly - it's just a 3- or 4-frame window - before the air dodge comes out. You also can't cancel until I think 7 frames after the animation starts.
This frame data is off the top of my head, so I'll check it later.

Last edited:

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to time it. All you have to do is press shield then special as fast as you can while charging needles in the air.

Top Bottom