• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New To "Serious" Melee Play!

Jawz

Smash Cadet
I am rather new to the serious side of melee , my favorite character is link and i would appreciate if someone could give me a few pointers and tips on mastering link, what are his best combos? , iv'e heard of wave dash and stuff , but i need more explanation! and as for a good partner i do have one to train with

Any Thing Would Be Must Appreciated! Thanks!

SAUS

Smash Ace
This video taught me all the basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

It'll show you stuff like wavedashing and all that and how to do it.

Combos in melee are hard to describe. They aren't set in stone - especially Link's. You have a few connecting moves, but a lot of it comes from figuring out where your opponent will be so that you can prevent them from escaping. Some of the nice 1-2 combos and good connecting moves are:
- Dash attack. At certain damages (~30 on marth, ~70 on fox/falcon), it can connect into up-b or down-air or forward-air. It's all dependant on the opponent's character, damage, and DI, so you'll just have to get a feel for it.
- Back-air into down-smash. This is good against the heavier characters. Against lighter characters, I go for back-air into up-tilt.
- If your opponent is "cornered" and they are forced to tech, you can almost guarentee the tech chase with your hookshot. Grabs with Link are EXTREMELY valuable, but at the same time EXTREMELY hard to get, and missing is highly punishable.
- Against floaty characters, you can sometimes chain SHFFL nairs (this is all explained in the video btw). You'll get probably just 2, maybe 3, and you can end it with a boomerang or forward air depending on what you think they'll do/their character can do.
- Back-air into dash attack is pretty good at certain damage. I think it is better against the faster falling characters though.
- Up-tilt into almost any aerial and sometimes another up-tilt.
- Up-air can chain with itself to trap people on platforms or just in the air. It also does a ton of damage, kills floaty characters at low damage, and is almost unbeatable from above. It also combos into down-air against the fast falling characters at certain damages.

For throwing:
- Down-throw into up-tilt can lead into good combos.
- Down-throw into up-b combos almost all the characters at some point. Against shiek-weight/fall-speed, something like 60-70% is where it works. Against fox/falco/falcon, it works around 115-140%, and against the floaties like marth, it is not very good, but can still work at around 30%.
- Down-throw into down-air works against marth and peach when they are at high damage.
- Up-throw into down-smash works against fox and falco. If you get it near the edge, you can possibly get a regrab (nothing fancy, it's just grabbing them against mid-combo - mind you, it does LOOK really fancy :D).

It's probably easier to see most of it than it is to just read it like this. I personally learned a lot from The GERM's combo videos and Aniki's videos against Ken when he went to Japan. Not all of it works, but the things that do, I still use today.
This is The GERM's combo video. I couldn't find it on youtube for some reason.
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2862420/DBR_Evolution_The_Germ
The main things to see in this video are some of the good connecting moves and how he uses them, and how he edge-guards. I still use his edge-guard techniques that he uses against fox and falco in the video.

It's also particularly important to get comfortable with Link's projectiles. They can lead into combos sometimes, and they are very good for zoning your opponent. Link is very slow compared to other characters, so using your projectiles to limit movement can cover for the difference.

I hope this helps you out.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Haha ya sorry. I was just kinda rambling on. If you want to use my list, just look at one at a time. I don't know how familiar you are with the terminology, so just ask if there's something you want more details on.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I was worried about that :p okay I'll just throw out some things that you may not know:
Tilt - if you hold a direction (side, up, or down) and press A, your character performs a medium strength attack. Not a smash, and not just A with no direction. Up-tilt is when you hold up and press A. Link kind of arcs his sword over his head.
Aerial - An A attack in the air. Each character has 5 different aerial attacks (up, down, left, right, and no direction which is called neutral). They are often referred to as neutral-air, back-air, etc. and are shortened to nair and bair, etc.
Dash Attack - When you are running and press A.

I think the other ones are a little more obvious, like down-smash and down-throw. When I say something like down-throw into down-air, there is a jump in there that is kind of implied. You can't do aerials on the ground lol.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
Expect to be bad for at least 2 years. Melee has a brutal learning curve, and playing Link makes it even more brutal. As a Link main, you'll have to be twice as creative to get half the benefit of people who play with the great characters.

Your tech skill is going to be about accuracy rather than speed, and Link isn't allowed to make mistakes. (Accuracy with proper spacing as well as hitting people with projectiles/not hitting them when you don't want to.)

Playing this character will be difficult, but once you learn to make the Fox matchup look even, you'll be a fine smasher indeed.

Top Bottom