• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to P+EX modding and have some questions about it.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm brand new here. I've only recently gotten into modding my Smash bros Brawl(P+EX is the one I'm using) on my dolphin emulator.
I'm not sure if this goes here, so let me know if I need to post elsewhere.

I've gotten down how to edit portraits, Stock icons, battle portraits, etc.
But recently I've wondered if its possible to edit the effects of a character based on what skin/costume it is.
I know someone has made it to where Dry Bowser has blue fire effects instead of Bowser's default, I've wanted to do this as well with some characters.
It's something to do with editing the fit.pac of the character I want, but I have no clue how to edit the colors, nor get it to only show on a specific costume.
Can anyone assist me or at least guide me on how to do this?

D

Deleted member

You have to make costume specific moves in psa compressor, look for pm Mario's fire ball via article selection. That will give you the blueprint to see how it is done.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
You have to make costume specific moves in psa compressor, look for pm Mario's fire ball via article selection. That will give you the blueprint to see how it is done.
I know that part somewhat, I get confused on the coding section since I don't want to mess something up and cause my game to break and I don't exactly know which part of the code to edit.

D

Deleted member

First create a copy of the pac you want to edit. Open Mario pac in psa compressor, there should be a tab for articles. One of the articles should have a subroutine. Double click routine, the data for the doc b and original Mario b is there. Just copy the data via the compressor, then open the psa you want to have the data on, paste it. From there you can edit the move and costume limitations you want from there.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
First create a copy of the pac you want to edit. Open Mario pac in psa compressor, there should be a tab for articles. One of the articles should have a subroutine. Double click routine, the data for the doc b and original Mario b is there. Just copy the data via the compressor, then open the psa you want to have the data on, paste it. From there you can edit the move and costume limitations you want from there.
Okay now I'm lost. Do you mean the specific tab that says articles or a thing inside the events tab or something.
And I don't know where to find all that, I've looked through and I still have no idea where that coding would be and if I need to be on a specific offset on the compressor. Sorry, I'm totally bad at coding stuff and I don't wanna break something.

D

Deleted member

I don't know if you are using psa compressor or regular psa. You can't edit articles easy in psa, you need psa compressor. If you had arcade I could have assisted you easier, but you need psa compressor. If you have then, there are 5 tabs compress, events, attributes, articles, data. Articles is what you want for Mario. That is where his blasters are located.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
I don't know if you are using psa compressor or regular psa. You can't edit articles easy in psa, you need psa compressor. If you had arcade I could have assisted you easier, but you need psa compressor. If you have then, there are 5 tabs compress, events, attributes, articles, data. Articles is what you want for Mario. That is where his blasters are located.
Yeah I have compressor. I head into the articles tab and wondering if its the sub actions I click on or the actions. I do see the flame article tab here. Is this what I'm supposed to change?

D

Deleted member

No do not change anything, if this is pm Mario the gfx file should have a subroutine, click it. Copy the data there or examine the data to learn how pm was able to get fire balls for Mario alt and pills for Dr Mario alt. That should teach you everything you need to know about costume specific moves.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
No do not change anything, if this is pm Mario the gfx file should have a subroutine, click it. Copy the data there or examine the data to learn how pm was able to get fire balls for Mario alt and pills for Dr Mario alt. That should teach you everything you need to know about costume specific moves.
I think it's PM? P+ex is technically a mod of project M itself I believe, so I'd think it'd work the same way considering Dry bowser has blue fire instead of Bowser's default. And I'm still lost since the article tab does not have a subroutine tab in it, it has actions, sub actions, parameters, data offset and compress.

D

Deleted member

I am sorry, sub actions, then gfx. Article 1, sub action is where you want to look. Double click on goto address in the gfx list.

D

Deleted member

Copy the address and paste it at: events tab and then click sub routine.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
I am sorry, sub actions, then gfx. Article 1, sub action is where you want to look. Double click on goto address in the gfx list.
So I did that, and I saw all of this. Is this where I change the colors and set a specific costume?

If Compare: LA-Basic[29] >= 20.0
And Comparison Compare: LA-Basic[29] < 30.0
If Roll A Die: 3
Graphic Effect (Attached): File#=1, Graphic=C, Bone=0, X Offset=0.0, Y Offset=0.0, Z Offset=0.0, X Rotate=0.0, Y Rotate=0.0, Z Rotate=0.0, Size=1.1, Terminate with Action=true
Else:
If Roll A Die: 2
Graphic Effect (Attached): File#=1, Graphic=E, Bone=0, X Offset=0.0, Y Offset=0.0, Z Offset=0.0, X Rotate=0.0, Y Rotate=0.0, Z Rotate=0.0, Size=1.1, Terminate with Action=true
Else:
Graphic Effect (Attached): File#=1, Graphic=10, Bone=0, X Offset=0.0, Y Offset=0.0, Z Offset=0.0, X Rotate=0.0, Y Rotate=0.0, Z Rotate=0.0, Size=1.1, Terminate with Action=true
End If:
End If:
Else:
Graphic Effect (Attached): File#=1, Graphic=F, Bone=0, X Offset=0.0, Y Offset=0.0, Z Offset=0.0, X Rotate=0.0, Y Rotate=0.0, Z Rotate=0.0, Size=1.0, Terminate with Action=true
End If:

D

Deleted member

LA basic 29 is the costume that is specified, meaning if LA basic 29 is x number that is the costume used to activate the next function. The rolling of the dice is a randomizer, ignore the dice roll for now focus on LA basic 29.

D

Deleted member

LA basic 29 = 20 is Dr Mario's costume set going to 30.

D

Deleted member

The second costume for Mario would be LA basic 29 = 1. Now you entered the realm of hours and hours of trial and error. Always save a backup.

D

Deleted member

0 is costume 00 which is costume 1. 1 is 2. Also to change the color of the flames is a totally different thing all together.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
I know the second part is doing stuff in BrawlCrate. I just figured I'd set it up to be only on a specific costume first.
I'm wanting to make the second Bowser costume(the black one) firebreath purple. I think I know how to do the color editing part? I know making a PTCKoopafireBreath is where I'd start. So I figured I'd have to do this in order to make that work only on that specific costume.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget to add And Comparison Compare: LA-Basic[29] < 2. That limits the function to only the second costume. 2 is the third costume.

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
Don't forget to add And Comparison Compare: LA-Basic[29] < 2. That limits the function to only the second costume. 2 is the third costume.
So what would the full code look like if I were to do this correctly? (Also without messing up any other costumes firebreath since Dry Bowser has his own color of firebreath.)
Sorry I just wanna be thorough with this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Compare: LA-Basic[29] >= 1
And Comparison Compare: LA-Basic[29] < 2
(Function to be used)
Else:
(Function not to be used with costume)
End If:

Last edited by a moderator:

EllenWitch

Smash Rookie
If Compare: LA-Basic[29] >= 1
And Comparison Compare: LA-Basic[29] < 2
(Function to be used)
Else:
(Function not to be used with costume)
End If:
Okay I think I have the code correct.

If Compare: LA-Basic[24] >= 1.0
And Comparison Compare: LA-Basic[24] <= 2.0
Graphic Effect (Attached): File#=C, Graphic=1, Bone=0, X Offset=0.0, Y Offset=0.0, Z Offset=0.0, X Rotate=0.0, Y Rotate=0.0, Z Rotate=0.0, Size=1.1, Terminate with Action=false
Else:
Graphic Effect (Attached): File#=C, Graphic=2, Bone=0, X Offset=0.0, Y Offset=0.0, Z Offset=0.0, X Rotate=0.0, Y Rotate=0.0, Z Rotate=0.0, Size=1.1, Terminate with Action=false
End If:

But now I'm stuck on how to make it purple, I know its gotta be done in BrawlCrate, do I have to name the PTCFireBreath a certain name to give it to the second costume?

Top Bottom