• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Mewtwo. where do i start?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Hello Mewtwo mains! I'm kind of on the quest to find my secondary characters to round out my roster. I main Roy but M2 looks both strong and like he could be fun but i have no clue how to effectively play him. What kind of starter tips would you guys give a new Mewtwo player?

• Strengths?
  • Weaknesses?
  • good and bad MUs?
  • effective mindsets while playing M2?
  • general move combos?
All tips are welcome

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Mewtwo is one of the best characters mobility wise.. so during matches you should be thinking of ways to not get hit.

Mewtwo is also hella broken atm, so practice taking advantage of the character and all his broken features. uptilt beats more things than you'd think at max range. shadow ball camping is good. teleport hover nair is crazy.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
hold up and press A. if it hits. keep holding up and mashing A while pressing jump. gg =P

jk. but definitely up tilt -> up air/fair combos is important on m2. and everything samsun said above is true.

also learn how to woop. its great for ledge hogging when u teleport onto ledge from stage and u can refresh invincibility as much as u want for easiest ledge hog in the game

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Oh, one more thing, Uair does 14%. ****.

Uair a lot. it's hella fast and gigantic and it combo's into itself. teleport around the stage until you're good at moving around all slick, and get good at nailing the teleport where you go from the stage to the ledge.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
5 Mewtwo essentials

1. Learn basic fundamentals and get a GOOD feel for tail spacing and how to abuse the anti-air functions of his tilts. This allows you to play a proficient defense oriented Mewtwo while you're still learning the character. Also if number 4 is getting hard read by the opponent, this'll work like magic.
2. Learn how to never drop edgeguards. Your back air is your best tool by far.
3. Ledgewoop. Don't drop edgeguards. This is a part of that.
4. SH horizontal Teleport hover nair. Very non commital, free 16-20%, and you can float downwards and land during the middle of the nair for free grabs.
5. Learn each and every individual movement mixup. B-Reversals. Moonwalks. Wavedances. Teleport autocancels. Hover Cancels. Plus more.

You know this video? I know its Melee and Fox too, and the guy is nearly frame perfect, but notice before the main combo video, notice how Dark shows off how fluid his Fox movement is. Your Mewtwo movement should be nothing less. Unpredictable, slippery, tricky, unreadable. Use what you have to the max. A true psychic type.

Optional: Learn how to abuse neutral air's IASA frames. At mid to high percents (50-70 on lights, 85-90 on midweights and 100-110 on heavies) neutral air into TP forward air/up air/back air is virtually guaranteed. All you have to do is react to the direction of the KB that the neutral air sends the opponent at. It can be tough sometimes.

Top Bottom