• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New To Melee On Keyboard, need help with controls.

yoshiboi8

Smash Rookie
If anyone could help me with the default melee controls on keyboard it'd be appreciated.

I've never played gamecube, so I need the button to what it does for example x = hit (also if there are any combos or things to use for yoshi it'd also help)

Thanks if you can help me out.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Don't play Melee on a keyboard. Melee's controls pretty much require that you use the Gamecube controller since they are so precise.

I'm assuming you are playing on Dolphin. You should be able to check and edit the controls on the settings on Dolphin somewhere. I don't have it so I'm not 100% sure where.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I'm assuming you're playing through Dolphin, since you're using a keyboard?

Are you deliberately trying to play on a keyboard, or are you just not able to use a controller? Playing on a keyboard is bad in so many ways; you absolutely can't play properly on one. Even if you're not planning on playing competitively, you will most likely prefer to use a controller once you try it.

You can use an adapter (amazon.com link here) to play on PC with a controller. If you don't have a controller at all then you can buy those on Amazon too (Smash 4 type black, Smash 4 type white). If you don't have a Wii or GameCube, then 2nd hand ones are quite cheap; you can look on the internet or in local shops that will sell them, or ask people you know if they will give/sell one to you.

You configure your controls in the Dolphin options menu; everything you need is clearly labelled ("Options"->"Controller Settings"->"Configure" for the port/player you want).

If you're just looking for what the buttons do, then the basic controls are below (there are more things but this covers a lot):
A button: normals (when on the ground), aerials (when in the air)
B button: special attacks
X button: jump
Y button: jump
Control Stick: move (walk, dash, run, aerial drift, turn, crouch), jump (by tapping upwards)
C-stick: smash attacks (when on the ground), aerials (when in the air),
L button: shield (when on the ground), airdodge (when in the air)
R button: shield (when on the ground), airdodge (when in the air)
Z button: grab (when on the ground)

All normal and special attacks are directional; you have one for neutral, up, down, and sideways (there's no distinction between forwards and backwards).

For grounded normals, there are weaker "tilt" or stronger "smash" attacks depending on how hard you move the stick for the input; tilt lightly for tilts, smash harder for smash attacks. Each has different uses, like with light/medium/heavy attacks in other fighters.

Holding shield and inputting a direction on the control or C-stick will let you roll (sideways), spotdodge (down), or jump (up). Pressing the A button while shielding will give you a grab.

While you have an opponent in your grab, you choose the direction you throw them with the control stick or C-stick. You can also pummel them using the A button or Z button. There is a distinction between forward and back throws.

If you want more information, then you should read up on advanced techniques and competitive play. Try starting with some of the basic guides linked in The Melee Library.

Last edited:

yoshiboi8

Smash Rookie
I'm assuming you're playing through Dolphin, since you're using a keyboard?

Are you deliberately trying to play on a keyboard, or are you just not able to use a controller? Playing on a keyboard is bad in so many ways; you absolutely can't play properly on one. Even if you're not planning on playing competitively, you will most likely prefer to use a controller once you try it.

You can use an adapter (amazon.com link here) to play on PC with a controller. If you don't have a controller at all then you can buy those on Amazon too (Smash 4 type black, Smash 4 type white). If you don't have a Wii or Gamecube, then 2nd hand ones are quite cheap; you can look on the internet or in local shops that will sell them, or ask people you know if they will give/sell one to you.

You configure your controls in the Dolphin options menu; everything you need is clearly labelled ("Options"->"Controller Settings"->"Configure" for the port/player you want).

If you're just looking for what the buttons do, then the basic controls are below (there are more things but this covers a lot):
A button: normals (when on the ground), aerials (when in the air)
B button: special attacks
X button: jump
Y button: jump
Control Stick: move (walk, dash, run, aerial drift, turn, crouch), jump (by tapping upwards)
C-stick: smash attacks (when on the ground), aerials (when in the air),
L button: shield (when on the ground), airdodge (when in the air)
R button: shield (when on the ground), airdodge (when in the air)
Z button: grab (when on the ground)

All normal and special attacks are directional; you have one for neutral, up, down, and sideways (there's no distinction between forwards and backwards).

For grounded normals, there are weaker "tilt" or stronger "smash" attacks depending on how hard you move the stick for the input; tilt lightly for tilts, smash harder for smash attacks. Each has different uses, like with light/medium/heavy attacks in other fighters.

Holding shield and inputting a direction on the control or C-stick will let you roll (sideways), spotdodge (down), or jump (up). Pressing the A button while shielding will give you a grab.

While you have an opponent in your grab, you choose the direction you throw them with the control stick or C-stick. You can also pummel them using the A button or Z button. There is a distinction between forward and back throws.

If you want more information, then you should read up on advanced techniques and competitive play. Try starting with some of the basic guides linked in The Melee Library.

I do not have/can not get a controller

I have an xbox controller but in dolphin there is no way for me to configure it apparently

Stride

Smash Ace
I do not have/can not get a controller

I have an xbox controller but in dolphin there is no way for me to configure it apparently
An Xbox controller is better than a keyboard, at least, though worse than GameCube controller. What's stopping you from getting one?

What isn't working, specifically? Is the controller being registered but you just can't change the mappings? Do some controls map but not others? Is the controller not registering at all? If you don't know then post a screenshot of your controller configuration screen.

Do you know that your controller is configured to work with your PC at all (i.e. do you have the correct drivers installed or did you just plug it in)? Is it wired or wireless with an adapter (and if so what kind)? Does it work with other programs?

Last edited:

yoshiboi8

Smash Rookie
An Xbox controller is better than a keyboard, at least, though worse than Gamecube controller. What's stopping you from getting one?

What isn't working, specifically? Is the controller being registered but you just can't change the mappings? Do some controls map but not others? Is the controller not registering at all? If you don't know then post a screenshot of your controller configuration screen.

Do you know that your controller is configured to work with your PC at all (i.e. do you have the correct drivers installed or did you just plug it in)? Is it wired or wireless with an adapter (and if so what kind)? Does it work with other programs?

It's wired, worked with games like Team Fortress, but in Dolphin the only controller configuration is for gamecube.

Stride

Smash Ace
It's wired, worked with games like Team Fortress, but in Dolphin the only controller configuration is for gamecube.
What do you mean by that? If I'm understanding you correctly: you have to map the Xbox controller to GameCube controls as if it was a GameCube controller; Dolphin is a GameCube emulator, and the games are still GameCube games.

Last edited:

yoshiboi8

Smash Rookie
What do you mean by that? If I'm understanding correctly: you have to map the Xbox controller to GameCube controls as if it was a GameCube controller; Dolphin is a GameCube emulator, and the games are still GameCube games.
I'm saying I have a wired xbox controll but Dolphin emulator doesn't configure Xbox controllers

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
That makes sense, I feel like an idiot for not realizing that sooner. I guess I'm used to the controller input so it makes sense that it works like that on keyboard because you are dodging the neutral zone entirely on keyboard.

Kadano

Magical Express
That makes sense, I feel like an idiot for not realizing that sooner. I guess I'm used to the controller input so it makes sense that it works like that on keyboard because you are dodging the neutral zone entirely on keyboard.
The supposed requirement to avoid passing through the dead zone is a myth and entirely wrong. You just need to prevent triggering a smash turn, and for initial dashes, that is only possible on frame 2 or later, not on frame 1.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
I figured it was like that but I wasn't sure how quite to word it to get the point across, either way keyboard sucks for melee.

Malistir

Smash Cadet
Layout:
Control Stick :: WASD
Yellow C Stick :: YGHJ
D-Pad :: 8462 (Numpad)
A :: P
B :: O
L :: i
R :: K
Z :: U
X :: .
Y :: /
Modifier :: i
I use this but I dont jump with X or Y

ShamrockG

Smash Rookie
If anyone could help me with the default melee controls on keyboard it'd be appreciated.

I've never played gamecube, so I need the button to what it does for example x = hit (also if there are any combos or things to use for yoshi it'd also help)

Thanks if you can help me out.
I would help you but actually, I was just loking up the same thing

Top Bottom