• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to melee! Need help with neutral game situation!! Any help is appreciated!

Badddd

Smash Rookie
Hey! I hope im posting to the right thread!

Im pretty new to smash (bronze/silver on netplay if that means anything). I know basic tech and my punish game is mediocre (leaning towards bad but getting better).

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my neutral game specifically in the situation where people just run towards you and Fsmash or do multi jabs / grabs (kind of like what level 9 vanilla melee CPUs do)

I usually beat these kinds of players (by around 3 stocks because I think my punish game is better than theirs) but it really irks me that I get hit enough by jabs and stinkin random smashes that I end up losing a whole stock. Is there a way to avoid being just walk up Fsmashed in neutral as often?

Ive tried rolling behind, shielding, dashdancing out of range, and, WD OOS but i just cant roll out of my dash fast enough and sometimes my WD OOS is too slow/shield is too small and i just get Fsmashed thru the shield or wavedash! Can anyone with a better understanding of neutral help me out with this super frustrating situation that im in/give advice on how to beat this kinda stuff?

Maybe im acting out of shield too late or being too predicable with rolls/DD

Thanks a ton in advance! :)

thomas76

Smash Rookie
So, if you are really sure that he is going to fmash most of what you do, then just dash damce a bit (optional) then run in and shield. Do it right when you get up to him so he cant get you before and then he will likely just fsmash you then. Then you can grab or fair him out of shield easily.

Another option would be dash dancing in and out of the range to bait one out then reacting to it and punishing. This can be hard for less experienced players however because of the speed and range of marths fmash. But with enough practice that will work.

Saria_100

Smash Rookie
Usually dont nair aproach as it can be bad, a lot of new players make this mistake so dont be one of them. It is ok to nair approach in certain situations

Top Bottom