• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Melee from Ultimate (have mercy) need to ask some questions.

jJOEe

Smash Rookie
I have melee emulated on my PC using dolphin. First off I wanted to ask about monitors. I have seen it said that to play melee properly you either need a CRT or you need to be playing on a proper monitor. The monitor I have is a https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL241...&qid=1543757123&sr=8-4&keywords=144hz+monitor and I was wondering if that is fine. Melee seems very clunky when playing for the first time, I assume that is because the removal of the notorious Ultimate buffer makes it so you need to be a lot more precise with your inputs and on top of this I will need to adjust to smash stick and tap jump. Literally everyone who plays melee says the movement in melee is one of the main things that makes it so great, so should I mainly practise just getting used to the melee movement and getting proper control of my character before moving onto practising any tech skill? And the final question is when I do get around to learning tech, what are the first ones you should learn? Melee has a lot of tech but I assumed the ones I should start with would most likely be L-cancelling and wavedashing/landing, are those the best place to start? I want to learn Fox, for the anyone who wants to suggest character specific practise and techs.

TL;DR Firstly is my monitor good enough to play melee? Secondly should I practise mastering the simple movement e.g: uptilts with tap jump, moving properly without ultimate buffer holding my hand etc before learning any tech skill? And finally when I get onto learning tech skill what should I look to tackle first (Want to learn Fox first cos I think he looks fun AF)

Thank you for any help you can give me. Hopefully my monitor is OK and I just need to start putting in the hard work.

ONE LAST THING: I HAVE 20XX, IS UNCLE PUNCH BETTER FOR LEARNING???

Last edited:

BIG D Was Taken

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BIGD#791
I have melee emulated on my PC using dolphin. First off I wanted to ask about monitors. I have seen it said that to play melee properly you either need a CRT or you need to be playing on a proper monitor. The monitor I have is a https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL241...&qid=1543757123&sr=8-4&keywords=144hz+monitor and I was wondering if that is fine. Melee seems very clunky when playing for the first time, I assume that is because the removal of the notorious Ultimate buffer makes it so you need to be a lot more precise with your inputs and on top of this I will need to adjust to smash stick and tap jump. Literally everyone who plays melee says the movement in melee is one of the main things that makes it so great, so should I mainly practise just getting used to the melee movement and getting proper control of my character before moving onto practising any tech skill? And the final question is when I do get around to learning tech, what are the first ones you should learn? Melee has a lot of tech but I assumed the ones I should start with would most likely be L-cancelling and wavedashing/landing, are those the best place to start? I want to learn Fox, for the anyone who wants to suggest character specific practise and techs.

TL;DR Firstly is my monitor good enough to play melee? Secondly should I practise mastering the simple movement e.g: uptilts with tap jump, moving properly without ultimate buffer holding my hand etc before learning any tech skill? And finally when I get onto learning tech skill what should I look to tackle first (Want to learn Fox first cos I think he looks fun AF)

Thank you for any help you can give me. Hopefully my monitor is OK and I just need to start putting in the hard work.

the movement in melee seems clunky because of the lack of buffer, buffer is what allows you to press a button while your character is in the middle of something else and still have that button work.
Since there's no buffer in melee, if you press a button while you're in the middle of doing something else, nothing will happen,
in smash ultimate, to get a frame perfect aerial, you just jump and attack at around the same time and the game will pull out the aerial at the first frame where you are airborn, but in melee, you truly have to be frame perfect. As usual, training fix this, its up to you to grind the timings or get a sense for things.
20XX isn't that useful, its more information based while Uncle Punch provides true exercises that are easy to get into with added tutorials and much more information than 20XX while also having UCF already installed.
Good luck for your future training.

Reactions: MyB

Abefroman

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ABEF#110
Switch FC
SW-7672-2689-2784

I don't know much about monitors if i'm being honest. Mine is just a regular ass pc monitor and it works great though, so you should be good lol.
You pretty much got the rest of it spot on though. The movement feels wonky bc no buffer, and the first thing to work on should 100% be working past that. The glory in melee is being able to do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it. So definitely get some shmooves down first. After that, L canceling and Wavedashing are definitely the most simple and widely used techs. SHFFL'ing (Short Hop Fast Fall L Cancel) is super good with fox, as his shffl'd nair and dair are great pressure tools. also learning how to do everything out of shine is important for budding spacies.
https://discord.gg/QrNHVtbhEA <---- here is a discord for new players who probably suck just as much as you do! Get on that grind, young padawan, you can make it.

(Oh, and 20XX and Unclepunch are both good for different things. Install them both and see what you like better.)

Last edited:

AndresSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
PKLS#218
I would recommend watching SSBM Kira "You're a character main if" series. I can understand the appeal to Fox, but sometimes there might be a better character for you, as someone who made the switch from ult to melee, the buffer system in melee (or the lack of it) is something you just need to get the feel for, after a week or two you'll have a 100% better feeling for melee.

TheBoyFromNowhere

Smash Rookie
yeah practice movement first. melee is a fighting game with simple attacks and complicated movement. compared to traditional fighting games where you have complicated attacks and simple movement. the faster you can get from point a to point b is what will keep that combo string alive. practice wavelands/shield drops/ledgedashes/backdashing etc.

Top Bottom