• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to maining Ice Climbers, Any Tips?

Jazztag

Smash Rookie
I just started the other day, and I love the mechanics. They're so easy to use, and the punish game is just incredible. Does anyone have some tips as to teching with ice climbers or any stategies?

Thanks!

dvatch

Smash Cadet
start by getting good movement. Wavedashing is your best friend. Practice consecutive full length wavedashes and attacking out of wavedash with jab, grab, fsmash, and turn around downsmash.

Vorporal

Vorpal Scholar
Here's some general advice that I have, learn to live without Nana, although she gives you tools, having a good Sopo is half the battle. The first few posts on The Ice Climbers General Chat talk about a few Sopo combos dthrow nair, bair, and I'd recommend understanding Sopo know his moves, movement options, and percents (you won't find that online it hinders just as much as it helps). There's also a Maining Sopo thread that has some useful info.
Here's a quote from Wobbles when asked how to get good with Ice Climbers "Learn how to wobble. Then stop wobbling. Then start wobbling again." then he said something along the lines of then you'll have an unbeatable punish and a neutral to back it up. That being said Wobbling is an important component of the Ice Climbers' game, knowing its limits early on will help you out in the long run, but using it as a crutch may grant you wins against low level players, but against players with IC knowledge they'll kill Nana in 2 hits and you'll be stuck with Sopo. I'll have an interesting thread on wobbling later (after a new tech thread that I'm currently working on).
Ice Climbers are unique the way Wobbles and Chudat play them are quite different. Understand that they're a hard character to master and you'll have to compensate for their flaws. Like with any character the best way to get things down is to grind and there's a ton of tech just for the Ice Climbers, so expect to grind a lot.
At tournaments expect people to counter pick them with Peach, Fox, or Samus. There are guides I'd recommend reading.
If you want an easy character I don't think it's Ice Climbers...
Other than that, up air is your friend, dsmash comes out frame 6, and DI/aerial drift will get you far.

tHe Chise

Smash Rookie
My Sopo is decent, but I'm having trouble in Neutral with dual climbers. Any tips?

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Well, aside from keeping your partner alive there's a few things y'all should learn as a new :icsmelee: player:
  • For one, y'all have wavedashing and I for one like this means of movement. Start with that, if y'all would. As y'all practice this, try performing smashes and grab out of it.
  • Blizzard and Ice Shot should be employed often for your defense.
  • If y'all are going to do the wobbling nuance, d-tilt and f-tilt are the appropriate moves for miss Nana to use while you pummel. The trick is to hit :GCA: with the right rhythm. I personally practice this tech with the time slowed down.
  • Down air has such low weight-based knockback that y'all should employ this in chain throws.
  • Although :icsmelee: do not like fighting in the air, up-air and back-air are possible kill moves.

Last edited:

Vorporal

Vorpal Scholar
Also does anyone know any applications for desyncs
Desyncs will help you in neutral. You can put out hit boxes to either approach or pressure without giving up percent or stage position. Blizzard walls are great for approaching or playing defensively. You can use Nana as bait with desyncs charge a smash with Nana and release it and most opponents will approach to punish her, so just punish their approach or you can leave her to punish the opponent's bad positioning when they try to punish her. Also desyncs allow for the grab shenanigans such as wobbling and handoffs. On one of Chudat's streams he says that an Ice climber player has to be creative to figure out the ways to use the duo to beat your opponent. The Ice Climbers are unique and require a very different playstyle than the rest of the cast, so most top IC players will have a unique playstyle; Wobbles uses movement and technical desyncs with his ICs, Chudat keeps them together and strategically uses patience to beat his opponents, while Fly Amanita zones and racks up damage using desyncs. The utility of desyncs comes down to the type of player you are, so I'd recommend doing some labbing until you find what works for you.

Top Bottom