• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tech? Nair Aerial Interrupt Attack

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I recently uncovered a tech with Doc which involved using his ECB pattern of Upair to cancel the move into landing while rising above a platform. Much like an Aerial Interrupt, but has active hitboxes. Been messing around with a bunch of chars and found this with pichu.

http://gfycat.com/FearlessGrandioseEidolonhelvum

In the gfy, I do the nair AIA then immediately up-tilt the first frame I can.

It's pretty fast and I'm pretty sure it's the fastest way to get on a platform. Having the hitbox out could allow for fast followups, I dno I'm not a pichu main, and you can do it whilst moving left/right, and you can edgecancel the landing lag.

Here are the frame numbers:

Battlefield:

1 - Jump
2 - Jump
3 - Jump
4 - First frame airbourne
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 - Nair
10 - | L-cancel window
11 - |
12 - |
13 - |
14 - |
15 - |
16 - |
17 - Cancels - Land on Platform with landing lag
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 - Wait (can now move/attack, this is where i start the uptilt)

Full hop to airdodge down - act on frame 27
Nair AIA - act on frame 23

Dreamland is easier to do because its later in the jump and has a 2 frame window:

1 - Jump
2 - Jump
3 - Jump
4 - First frame airbourne
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
11 -
12 - ~ Window to Nair
13 - ~ Window End
14 - | Window to L-cancel
15 - |
16 - |
17 - |
18 - |
19 - |
20 - If nair on frame 12 - Cancels - Land on Platform with landing lag
21 - If nair on frame 13 - Cancels - Land on Platform with landing lag
22 -
23 -
24 -
25 -
26 - If nair on frame 12 - Wait (can now move/attack, this is where i start the uptilt)
27 - If nair on frame 13 - Wait (can now move/attack, this is where i start the uptilt)

Full hop to airdodge down - act on frame 30
Nair AIA - act on frame 26/27

You can do it on the highest version of FoD platform with battlefield timing, you can do it on various parts of the slant on yoshis, and you can't do it on PS neutral. I would forget bout those though.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Interesting. I haven't played with aerial interrupts much except on accident, but this interests me.
Especially from edgecancel.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I use doc's mostly for the edgecancel. 2 quick upairs for quick damage, and I can still follow up afterwards.

bokunosmashbros

Smash Rookie
I discovered this on my own a couple days ago and I was just about to post this. At low percents I've been able to nair from below and grab pretty fast. Unfortunately it takes really good timing to do this correctly

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah someone asked about nair to grab earlier, made a gfy for it. And also other stage timings.

Hmm I dunno, it did 12% the way I spaced it. Wouldn't it just depend on your position relative to your opponents?

Nair AIA to Grab
http://gfycat.com/FearlessUnripeAmurratsnake

You gotta be pretty close to them. This will work at low percent, at higher you will have to jc grab.

The timings are

Battlefield
1 - Jump
3 - Jump
9 - Nair
17 - Land
23 - Can move/attack

Dreamland
1 - Jump
3 - Jump
12 - Nair
20 - Land
26 - Can move/attack

Yoshis flat
1 - Jump
3 - Jump
4 - DoubleJump
7 - Nair
15 - Land
21 - Can move/attack
Fullhop won't work on the flat, but will at lower points of the slant. You can do later DJ timings, but nair timing changes.

PStadium
1 - Jump
4 - DoubleJump
9 - Nair
17 - Land
23 - Cam move/attack
Different DJ Timings will work, but change nair timing, Fullhop will never work.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
So I'm playing with these now and one thing I really like (havent applied it against real players yet) is nair interrupt to dsmash and dtilt.

bokunosmashbros

Smash Rookie
I've messed with this some more and I there is a really really quick trick you can do with this. Basically, what you do is you start on one of the platforms (say, Battlefield), and then you very quickly drop, fast fall, and then jump + nair at the same time, and finally finish with whatever follow up you want. It's very difficult to pull off, and I've only gotten it down a few times. One of those times, I could barely tell anything happened since it was so fast. If I had access to TASing (I don't because my computer isn't strong enough to emulate gamecube games), I'd try to do it multiple times in a row to show it off. Might be useful, but almost impossible to pull off.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I've messed with this some more and I there is a really really quick trick you can do with this. Basically, what you do is you start on one of the platforms (say, Battlefield), and then you very quickly drop, fast fall, and then jump + nair at the same time, and finally finish with whatever follow up you want. It's very difficult to pull off, and I've only gotten it down a few times. One of those times, I could barely tell anything happened since it was so fast. If I had access to TASing (I don't because my computer isn't strong enough to emulate gamecube games), I'd try to do it multiple times in a row to show it off. Might be useful, but almost impossible to pull off.
This is just a variation of the same AI, you are timing it so frame 8 of nair is just above the platform so frame 9 ecb extension can hit the platform. You must also wait at least 10 frames after a doublejump (for it's ecb update) before this would have an effect. So the fastest you could do would be nairing on DoubleJump frame 3.

Here are the possible timings:

FastFall on airborne frame | DJ on airborne frame | Nair on dj frame | Total frames with landing lag
3 | 13 | 7 | 32 4 | 12 | 3 | 27 4 | 13 | 5 | 30 4 | 14 | 8 | 34 5 | 13 | 4 | 29 5 | 14 | 6 | 32 6 | 13 | 3 | 28 6 | 14 | 5 | 31 6 | 15 | 7 | 34 7 | 14 | 4 | 30 7 | 15 | 6 | 33 7 | 16 | 8 | 36 8 | 14 | 3 | 29 8 | 15 | 5 | 32 8 | 16 | 7 | 35 9 | 15 | 4 | 31 9 | 16 | 6 | 34 9 | 17 | 8 | 37 9 | 17 | 9 | 38 10 | 15 | 3 | 30 10 | 16 | 5 | 33 10 | 17 | 7 | 36 10 | 17 | 8 | 37 11 | 16 | 4 | 32 11 | 17 | 6 | 35 11 | 17 | 7 | 36 12 | 17 | 6 | 35 12 | 18 | 8 | 38 12 | 18 | 9 | 39 no ff | 17 | 3 | 32 no ff | 18 | 5 | 35 no ff | 19 | 6 | 37 no ff | 19 | 7 | 38 no ff | 20 | 8 | 40 no ff | 20 | 9 | 41

* there are possible timings with later fastfall then frame 12 but I stopped documenting when I realised they were generally worse then no ff timings.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Why did I start playing ics :; ( I can pivot better than I can l cancel now and pichu tech skill is so boring to master and hard and niche.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu stuff is pretty fun to play with, but IC stuff is sooo crazy and ridiculous. I can talk about both characters forever.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I did an upair nair(AI) into another nair

I could've dragged them down to a side platform with fair or kept up the nair chain I'm so hype for this

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
A strange phenomenon occurred where i was able to do the AI without L-cancelling. I pressed up on the anolog at the time when you should L-cancel. It looked the same but I wasn't sure so i repeated a few times in training mode. It's wierd but it seems to be the non-Lcancelled version.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
it doesn't need to be l canceled, though you should do it anyway. you're moved downward during nair, so that's what you land on the platform.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ooh I gotta practice this. At least to try and be able to do it...xD

EDIT: I did double jump upair on a Fox in the top platform, and it did something similar, like I landed with upair rather than going over, and it hit Fox :o is that the same thing, or something diferent?

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Ooh I gotta practice this. At least to try and be able to do it...xD

EDIT: I did double jump upair on a Fox in the top platform, and it did something similar, like I landed with upair rather than going over, and it hit Fox :o is that the same thing, or something diferent?
that's a platform warp. i discovered it a while ago and schmooblidon has frame data on it in his platform warp thread. it works because during the first 10 frames when you're airborne, pichu's true position is set, and when pichu hits someone when he double jumps, he'll spend a few frames in hitlag, which wears out the time where is position is set in one spot, and then the game reads where up air would put him. up air has pichu going down in that time, so his position moves downward and lands on the platform. it's really hard to do on command, sadly, but go for it if you want.

Top Bottom