• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important [New Tech] Jump Refresh

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Hi, everyone! Allow me to introduce myself. I started playing competitive Smash from the ground up when Sm4sh 3DS was released, and some of you may recognize me from back then. I remember @pichuthedk helping me a lot with the Rosalina MU and critiquing some of my VODs, for example. Today, I am coming to you as the premier (only) labber for the ZSS Discord and a player with many PR wins in Chicago.

(Note: I am going to refer to the kick of Flip Jump as "Flip Jump kick" or "FJK.")

Enough about me, I'm here to present a new tech; a tech whose usefulness, rated on a scale from 1-10, is probably a 3, but a new tech nonetheless. I believe it was Shaya Shaya that recommended that I start sharing my stuff on Smashboards, so, instead of a Google Doc or a long post in the Discord, here it is: Jump Refreshing!

What: Jump Refreshing is something found and presented to me by user Soka in the ZSS server. This tech, which requires frame-perfect timing, uses the endlag of a connected FJK to refresh ZSS' Flip Jump and Double Jump! Shaya informed me that a similar tech, known as Infinite Second Jump Renewal (ISJR) existed in Brawl and was heavily abused by Bowser players. Here are two examples of the tech being executed:

How: What the labbing done by me and Soka shows is that this tech is executed by spacing/timing the FJK to bounce off in such a way that allows the endlag of the kick to end within (what seems to be) a frame of landing, allowing her to essentially double jump or Flip Jump off of the ground, refreshing the one she doesn't use during execution.

In the examples shown above, Soka only demonstrates a refreshed Flip Jump, but, if you expend your Double Jump, FJK with the correct timing/spacing, and use the refreshed Flip Jump to go offstage, you will find that you magically have a second double jump as well.

The way that I determined whether or not I was successful when trying to Jump Refresh was that I would double jump before landing and see that the circle made with my double jump (every double jump produces a circle below the one who double jumped) was about halfway into the stage, and ZSS' leg seemed to be touching the ground during her double jump animation.

Here are screenshots of what I mean by that:

(^ after ZSS has jumped away)

Why: The reason I rated this tech low on the usefulness scale is the difficulty of execution. It is very unlikely that you will pull this off consistently enough to use in competitive play, but if you could theoretically pull this off 100% of the time, it would be useful for movement and pressure mixups. For example, you could FJK Luma away from Rosalina, Jump Refresh, and Flip Jump away from Rosalina if she tries to catch your landing too slowly. It also works on platforms, so you could FJK the top of someone's shield, Jump Refresh on a nearby platform, and escape or execute a Nair > FJK and refresh the Flip Jump to continue pressure. Pretty niche, but hey, it's a possibility and is sure to throw off an opponent that thinks they know the ZSS MU.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I mentioned this to Equinox, but this technique 'existed' in Brawl, known as Infinite Second Jump Renewal (ISJR; I prefer the simplicity of Jump Refresh though)- and it was something mastered by Bowser players with their side-b usage.
From what I recall, the technique didn't exist (at least for the bowsers?) in Smash4. So it's interesting it's found itself on ZSS.
It was a universal technique in Brawl, just very few had any reason to use it (+ was difficult).

Last edited:

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I mentioned this to Equinox, but this technique 'existed' in Brawl, known as Infinite Second Jump Renewal (ISJR; I prefer the simplicity of Jump Refresh though)- and it was something mastered by Bowser players with their side-b usage.
I figured since it worked with Flip Jump, too, that I would give it a name that didn't imply just a double jump or a Flip Jump.

By the way, I couldn't find any easy ways to demonstrate it to yourself via an item in Training Mode or anything, but I can confirm that it does work on platforms, so you can do Nair > FJK > jump refresh > FJ offstage to continue pressure, or something like that. (I found this by kicking early and bouncing off of the top of Bowser's head while he stood at the ledge of Battlefield, thus bouncing and jump refreshing on the nearest platform.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Hey Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen , figured this might catch your eye
This is pretty cool! I think it adds to the double-state phenomena people have found so far. I just thought of that name, so I'll explain:

A double state phenomenon occurs when two have states overlap for whatever reason. Frame syncing involves hit lag and landing lag, the untechable stage spike involves hit lag and the wall tech window, and this seems to involve the very end of move lag and the jump state.

Also, question: if the spacing is correct and you're set up to "land" on the correct frame, can the refreshed jump be buffered?

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Also, question: if the spacing is correct and you're set up to "land" on the correct frame, can the refreshed jump be buffered?
Yup. It's much easier to test that way since you only have a frame to jump.

Also, another example of double-state would be spike cancelling, which involves you using SDI to go airborne while teching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom