• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Tech? Instantly Grabbing Discarded Items

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
So, I was having some matches with a friend a few days ago and discovered this pretty useful tech. I've called it Item Snatching for ease of conversation but *shrug*.

Pretty much all it is is after using Levin Sword's last use with Fair or Dair, airdodging immediately after the aerial is done will cause the item to be grabbed instantly. (EDIT: After further labbing, it appears that you can also immediately catch Thunder Tomes after Thunder, Elthunder, and Arcthunder with an air dodge. Thoron, Arcfire, and Nosferatu cannot be caught by an immediate airdodge, and this tech is impossible to do with Elwind due to free fall) Nair cannot be used to catch as it stalls the item discard. The airdodge can be executed with either the shield or grab button. Not really sure if this has been talked about before so thought I'd throw it here and see if anyone else can get some use out of it.

Here's an updated video with all the new info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZMvYazGNE

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

EdgeMainSupreme

Smash Rookie
Cool find, looks like it could potentially be useful given the right circumstances. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I have no idea if this was already known or not, but it's kinda cool

Is there a reason why it doesn't work with Bair or Uair though? What about tomes?

Last edited:

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
I have no idea if this was already known or not, but it's kinda cool

Is there a reason why it doesn't work with Bair or Uair though? What about tomes?
I'm not 100% sure on why it doesn't work for Bair or Uair, but it may have to do with a similar reason for why Dtilt Tome Manipulation works; the position of Robin's hand before the discard of the tome/sword changes the position of the discard its self. But again, that's just a theory.

I completely forgot to test this with tomes but I'm curious if it works or not with them. I'll be labbing it later if no one else does before my classes are over. I'll also be labbing if Item Snatching can be done with the grab button and Nair (I'm thinking Nair will stall though) and maybe some more uses for it.

EDIT: I've finished labbing and the OP has been updated with the new info and a link to the new video.

Last edited:

UnchosenName0

Smash Rookie
I smell potential for a ridiculous Arcthunder->thunder tome throw combo for early kills and shield breaks.

UnchosenName0

Smash Rookie
I smell potential for a ridiculous Arcthunder->thunder tome throw combo for early kills and shield breaks.
Tested, kills Mario near the edge of FD at 80~90% if you were to pull it off. The longer you wait to throw the tome, the better it'll do. Problem is, I don't know if it's actually doable, or even viable in practice.

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
Tested, kills Mario near the edge of FD at 80~90% if you were to pull it off. The longer you wait to throw the tome, the better it'll do. Problem is, I don't know if it's actually doable, or even viable in practice.
You did arcthunder to book throw? Sounds like it could be doable, though to catch the book you'd need to do the arcthunder in the air which can make landing it harder. I could see arcthunder to book throw being really great on battlefield or smashville if you catch your opponent in arcthunder on a platform. Considering tomes kill at about ~120 this could be useful.

Top Bottom