• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Tech Discussion: Footstool Platform Cancelling - Sheik

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Recently on Twitter, @Ryukred posted this tweet showing footstool platform cancelling with captain falcon:
https://twitter.com/Ryukred/status/786199483218399232
Platform cancelling with footstool has been around a long time, popping up here and there, but no-one had figured it out until now (or at least shared that they'd figured it out, in the case of Pendalink Pendalink )
Soon after ryukreds tweet, BeefySmashDoods (@vyQ @cFive ) posted this tweet showing a couple more options with it:
https://twitter.com/BeefySmashDoods/status/786294649770082305

I've tested a little bit with Sheik, and here's a couple things I've found, to start some discussion:
First off a quick explanation. The platform cancel happens when the first frame of you being airborne after the footstool lines up with the platform. No special inputs, just footstool at platform height and it'll work. Good way to practice is with falcon falling upair to footstool on sheik at 40%

Setups
Sheik vs Sheik on Smashville

Ftilt > Footstool platform cancel: 46% - 51%
I'm not actually sure how true ftilt > footstool is but it gets the idea across :p

Tipper Dtilt at ledge: 85% - 92%

Combos
Ftilt Footstool Platform Cancel > Run off Bair Lock

I'm 99% sure it only works on moving platforms, as so far I can only get it on smashville platform, the central moving platform of T&C, side platforms of T&Cs 2nd transformation and all of lylats platforms (yay for lylat). Probably the dog on duck hunt too but it's hard :p
In theory it'd also work on lylat main stage, if you footstool someone while going through the stage as shown in this video by stylesx2, but I have no idea how I'd test that.
T&C Middle
T&C Phase 2
Lylat Centre
Lylat Side
Haven't gotten it on the dog yet because it's hard :/

I encourage everyone to have a go labbing some of this! I'll add anything found into the OP, and eventually make it look like some kind of a nice post, with %s it works on every stage etc.
If you need footstool setups I have some that work at high-ish %s in my footstool dair thread. Also Ledge Cancel needles > footstool is a thing so that could work.

Last edited:

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
This is a pretty awesome mixup option! I'll be labbing this over the rest of the weekend for sure.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I have now a friend who also mains Sheik so we have a lot of fun labbing Sheik stuff.
We will take a look on this soon. I'll post any relevant discovery.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
I wonder if it's possible to do this tech after a phantom footstool.
I doubt it, but now I want to try.
I doubt it because it platform cancels on the first frame of being airborne after the footstool where you have a jumpsquat kinda thing on their head. Phantom footstool doesn't have that.

Pendalink

Smash Rookie
NNID
pendalink
By no means was I trying to take credit for it's discovery, but I have had this happen. Fox Dair->footstool->platform cancel drop through nair on smashville might be useful against characters he can't fall and nair on.

Pendalink

Smash Rookie
NNID
pendalink
This should be possible after a phantom footstool. If my understanding is correct, this happens when you jump exactly at the height of the platform. This can be done using a double jump off a spring, so it must not require a jumpsquat..

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Does this require any special inputs or does it just cancel automaticly?

Top Bottom