• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Style Boutique - Style Savvy for Smash Switch!

Luminario

Smash Lord
Smash needs to be a bit more Fashion Forward~
Style Savvy, or New Style Boutique as it's called over here in Europe, is a Fashion Sim game where you can work as a Boutique Manager, Make-up Artist, Hair Stylist, Designer, and Model. Customers come to you on advice on outfits, hair styles, and make up choices, and you help them out by listening to what the want and trying to find the right look for them. You can sell your own fully customised clothes, and model them on the catwalk.
How would a Style Savvy rep fight?
Due to being from a game dominated by fashion, hair, and make-up, it seems clear to bring such vital aspects of the game over to Smash. She can fight with clothes and accessories, use make-up products as projectiles, use hair-styling equipment with a variety of different effects, the possibilities are truly untouched in the Smash world. Here's a moveset I created that shows off what could be a main gimmick to a Style Savvy rep, changing outfits to switch up specials:
This specific idea for a Style Savvy rep focuses on variety rather than power. Due to being able to work as a Fashion Designer, Hairdresser, and Makeup Artist, I incorporated these 3 jobs into this moveset (with the modelling aspect added into her general moveset), allowing this character to switch between the 3 jobs with unique specials to counter different playstyles on the go. While her moveset has incredible variety, she has to take time to switch outfits and has a hard time getting kills to balance it out. For convenience, I chose the name Sophie as she is the first character you meet in Style Savvy: Fashion Forward and has presence throughout the game.

Entrance: A changing room curtain appears before swiftly opening and Sophie twirls onto the battlefield. Default outfit is the Fashion Designer. Always holds a handbag with the strap at her elbow.
Idle animation: 1) She takes out her phone and interacts with it. 2) She brushes dust off her outfit.

Jab: 2 slaps with the handbag. Good range.
Ftilt: Horizontal sweep forward with a hanger holding a dress.
Utilt: Spins a bowler hat into the air. 3 hits and good vertical range.
Dtilt: Swipes along the ground with a stiletto in her hand.
Dash: Spins forwards at an angle holding scissors in one hand and a comb in the other. 3 hits.

Fsmash: Summons a mannequin in front before accidentally letting it fall over. Deceptively powerful but kinda laggy.
Usmash: Poses towards the camera with one hand pointing straight up with the other hand on her hip. Hitbox on her arm pointing up.
Dsmash: Poses towards the camera as 2 stage lights appear on either side of Sophie facing her. The stage lights turning on are the actual hitboxes. Hits foes the opposite direction of the attack.

Nair: swings the handbag around in a wide circle.
Fair: Takes out her phone and takes a picture forwards. The flash of the phone is the hitbox.
Bair: Takes out her phone and takes a selfie. The flash extends past Sophie to an area behind her.
Uair: strikes across upwards with a stiletto. Pretty quick.
Dair: Digs into the handbag and drops a small accessory. Power varies depending on the item (it can be lipstick, a coin purse, compact mirror, etc) but the difference in negligible. Can be reflected. Essentially a projectile so great range downwards.

Grab: Attempts to grab the opponent by the hand. Less than average range but not too bad.
Pummel: Bops the opponent on the face with a powder puff.
Fthrow: Takes the opponents picture that blasts them away.
Bthrow: Spins the opponent around before taking a picture of them behind her.
Uthrow: Stage lights appear on either side of the foe before flashing on and shooting them upwards.
Dthrow: Drops a perfume bottle underneath the foe that explodes in a pink cloud.

Down B: Outfit Switch. A curtain falls around Sophie for a second as she switches outfits. Switches outfits between Hair Stylist (Jacket and trousers), Make-up Artist(T-shirt and Skirt) and Fashion Designer(Sleeveless dress). Each outfit comes with it's own B moves. Can only be used on the ground.

Hair Stylist
B: Hair Clip Bite. Throws out a hair clip onto the ground in front. If the clip is stepped on or attacked it snaps shut, potentially doing damage. 1 onscreen at a time.
Side B: Show-me-the-back Mirror. Holds out a mirror in front of her to reflect projectiles. If a physical attack hits the mirror it breaks and requires a certain amount of time before it can be used again.
Up B: Blow Dry Boost. Holds a hair dryer below her before it shoots out a gust of wind, propelling her upwards. Weak spike right at the point the hair dryer shoots out the gust. Can be angled slightly.

Make-up Artist
B: Perfume Bomb. Sophie throws a perfume bottle in an arc that explodes in a pink cloud on contact with the ground or an enemy. Charging the move throws it in a wider arc.
Side B: Makeover. Command grab. Sophie pulls out a makeup bag as a sparkly circle appears in front of her. If an opponent is inside the circle then they are stunned as she pats their face with a powder puff(which obscures their face in a swirly cloud) then quickly goes to work with mascara and lipstick before finally taking a photo of her work, which blasts the opponent away. The command grab is rather quick in execution, and the entire attack lasts around like 3-4 seconds. If Sophie misses the grab she is left with notable endlag which can be punished easily.
Up B: Lipstick Swipe. After a small startup, Sophie takes out a lipstick and starts swiping it in the direction chosen 3 times. Has little endlag.

Fashion Designer
B: Show-me-the-outfit Spin. Counter move. She takes a stance that if hit during she spins and poses, stunning the opponent. The stronger the opponents move the longer the stun.
Side B: Stiletto Strike. Sophie throws a stiletto heel forward that flies back boomerang-style. Unlike Link's Boomerang this attack simply flies out ahead a few feet, does multihit damage, before shooting the opponent above her on return. Follows Sophie's momentum no matter what direction she's heading in (so it'll always stay perfectly horizontal to her) but can be reflected, where it'll hit her away on return. Can't be acted out of until the shoe returns.
Up B: Iconic Pirouette. Spins straight upwards surrounded by sparkles. Has good vertical range and multihits opponents upwards with her but very predictable.

Final Smash: Fashion Forward. Upon pressing B, Sophie strikes a pose and all characters in an area around her are transported to the end of a catwalk. Sophie walks out doing multiple poses before reaching the edge of the stage, striking a final pose, which deals heavy damage and knockback to the opponents.

Taunt 1: Sophie takes a selfie.
Taunt 2: She does multiple poses.
Taunt 3: She takes out a compact mirror and checks how her make-up is holding.
Why should Style Savvy have a playable fighter?
Apart from the clear gimmick she could bring to the game mentioned above, a Style Savvy rep would be seen as a left field choice similar to WFT. There's also a lack of characters from series that are primarily advertised towards girls and characters from Sim games, as the only character that ticks both of those boxes so far that I can think of is Villager. A Style Savvy rep would also aesthetically add something to the game no other character can add, thanks to the focus of fashion, make-up, and such in their main games, as the only other character who would be as feminine as this character is Peach.

Signature banner done by vaanrose

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Was hoping for someone to do this since Dusty had been inactive lately (I do see him from time to time). Glad that somebody could step up and make a new support thread.

And you can sign me up. I've had a soft spot for her since the first game on the DS. The series had been improving for the better too, love the newest entry alot. Just wonder what more you can really do with it in the future.

I think the clothing should definitely play a big role in her skill set. Like each on being based on which style you prefer, they should probably have an effect on how your stats would work. Sure that would be a lot of work and taking Shulk's thunder, but that would definitely be as fanservicey as it would get when taking anything from Style Savvy.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Support! I actually bought Style Savvy Trendsetters as a joke when we found out it was getting a song in the Wii U version. I ended up liking the game (though I never got to finish it) and support the idea even more now. Prior to that point I had no idea the series existed, but once I knew it was a thing it's an idea that interested me as a joke/surprise character like WFT.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Was hoping for someone to do this since Dusty had been inactive lately (I do see him from time to time). Glad that somebody could step up and make a new support thread.

And you can sign me up. I've had a soft spot for her since the first game on the DS. The series had been improving for the better too, love the newest entry alot. Just wonder what more you can really do with it in the future.

I think the clothing should definitely play a big role in her skill set. Like each on being based on which style you prefer, they should probably have an effect on how your stats would work. Sure that would be a lot of work and taking Shulk's thunder, but that would definitely be as fanservicey as it would get when taking anything from Style Savvy.
Clothing having an effect on stats or other attacks was an idea I was playing around with before I settled on just changing the specials for simplicity and balancing. Would you say it should only affect stats or should it affect other moves too?
Also for future games they could always add in male fashion again or expand on social media inside the Style Savvy world. They got a few things left to explore.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Clothing having an effect on stats or other attacks was an idea I was playing around with before I settled on just changing the specials for simplicity and balancing. Would you say it should only affect stats or should it affect other moves too?
Also for future games they could always add in male fashion again or expand on social media inside the Style Savvy world. They got a few things left to explore.
It mostly depends if they would want to give her different animations to reflect the clothing or set that she chooses. Stat changes would add a deeper strategy to her character than making her just as frail as WFT (coming from a main). Though leaving it all to specials would make things less super complicated and suit the "pick up and play part" of her character.

Agreed. There's still more untapped potential in more male clothing despite the all-female focus and I wouldn't mind seeing the social aspects getting dialed up for more depth. I kind of want to make real texts in the series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can see trophy cameos of some of the Style Savvy characters. However, Style Savvy really isn't a franchise for playable representation.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I can see trophy cameos of some of the Style Savvy characters. However, Style Savvy really isn't a franchise for playable representation.
Any particular reason why? It's had 3 games and a rep from the series can clearly be the left-field pick of the game and can have quite a unique playstyle. Is it due to the relaxed nature of the source games?
It mostly depends if they would want to give her different animations to reflect the clothing or set that she chooses. Stat changes would add a deeper strategy to her character than making her just as frail as WFT (coming from a main). Though leaving it all to specials would make things less super complicated and suit the "pick up and play part" of her character.
If they wanted to go all out they could create 3 different playstyles. I can see the Fashion Designer being slower yet having more disjoints, Hair Stylist having a quicker, more aggressive playstyle, while the Make-up Artist is in the middle and has quite a few projectiles.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
:4wiifit::4villager: these two throw the relaxed nature thing out the window, though I think what Mario & Sonic Guy is getting at, is that while these two are certainly left field/unexpected sorts of characters,(Wii Fit Trainer more so than Villager, but Villager was still a little surprising at first due to Sakurai's previous stance on the character.) they are still from pretty big series.

Wii Fit was extremely well known and sold very well during it's time and Animal Crossing of course remains a very popular Nintendo franchise. Style Savvy is a much smaller series and much less known compared to others among Nintendo's lesser known franchises.

The general public likely won't know Style Savvy, Golden Sun, or Starfy. Nintendo savvy fans will likely know Starfy and/or Golden Sun, but many will still miss Style Savvy. You're either a Style Savvy fan to begin with or an extremely dedicated Nintendo fan who knows most if not all their series if you're familiar with it. That's my understanding at least.

That said, I'm not actually sure how popular the series is. Though with that in mind, I wouldn't have known it was a Nintendo series (let alone that it existed) if it weren't for the song included in Smash For. But that's just me. For all I know it could actually be doing gangbusters, but not getting recognized because many fail to recognize that it's a Nintendo IP in the first place.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Any particular reason why? It's had 3 games and a rep from the series can clearly be the left-field pick of the game and can have quite a unique playstyle. Is it due to the relaxed nature of the source games?
That's pretty much it. Style Savvy is too relaxed of a franchise to have playable representation. In fact, Style Savvy is even more relaxed than Animal Crossing, since no violent actions can ever be performed.

In Animal Crossing, you can intentionally tick off the other residents by pushing them around or smacking them with a bug-catching net; both of which can be violent in nature. You can't do anything like that in the Style Savvy franchise, since at worst, you can leave customers dissatisfied, but it's not a violent action by any means.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's pretty much it. Style Savvy is too relaxed of a franchise to have playable representation. In fact, Style Savvy is even more relaxed than Animal Crossing, since no violent actions can ever be performed.

In Animal Crossing, you can intentionally tick off the other residents by pushing them around or smacking them with a bug-catching net; both of which can be violent in nature. You can't do anything like that in the Style Savvy franchise, since at worst, you can leave customers dissatisfied, but it's not a violent action by any means.
I get where you're coming from, but I think the argument can still be made for a joke character. And regardless of the minor/infrequent cartoon violence in AC, both Villager and WFT still fit the bill of characters who fight by not fighting. Something similar could still be achieved with Style Savvy.

Granted, I'll give you that it'd require a lot more creativity since there's less to pull from, but I think the idea is still plausible. Wii Fit Trainer fights using yoga poses, so who's to say a Style Savvy character couldn't fighting by using modeling poses and the like?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I get where you're coming from, but I think the argument can still be made for a joke character. And regardless of the minor/infrequent cartoon violence in AC, both Villager and WFT still fit the bill of characters who fight by not fighting. Something similar could still be achieved with Style Savvy.

Granted, I'll give you that it'd require a lot more creativity since there's less to pull from, but I think the idea is still plausible. Wii Fit Trainer fights using poses, so who's to say a Style Savvy character couldn't fighting by using modeling poses and the like?
It would still feel very strange when talking about a franchise that doesn't show any signs of violent actions. Trophy cameos can work (examples can include some of the Fashion Forward characters like Evie, Sophie, Callie, and Ricky), but other than that is pretty much a long stretch, if not impossible.

Luminario

Smash Lord
:4wiifit::4villager: these two throw the relaxed nature thing out the window, though I think what Mario & Sonic Guy is getting at, is that while these two are certainly left field/unexpected sorts of characters,(Wii Fit Trainer more so than Villager, but Villager was still a little surprising at first due to Sakurai's previous stance on the character.) they are still from pretty big series.

Wii Fit was extremely well known and sold very well during it's time and Animal Crossing of course remains a very popular Nintendo franchise. Style Savvy is a much smaller series and much less known compared to others among Nintendo's lesser known franchises.

The general public likely won't know Style Savvy, Golden Sun, or Starfy. Nintendo savvy fans will likely know Starfy and/or Golden Sun, but many will still miss Style Savvy. You're either a Style Savvy fan to begin with or an extremely dedicated Nintendo fan who knows most if not all their series if you're familiar with it. That's my understanding at least.

That said, I'm not actually sure how popular the series is. Though with that in mind, I wouldn't have known it was a Nintendo series (let alone that it existed) if it weren't for the song included in Smash For. But that's just me. For all I know it could actually be doing gangbusters, but not getting recognized because many fail to recognize that it's a Nintendo IP in the first place.

Yeah those reasons together would likely be one of the main things holding a Style Savvy rep back.
While I know that this series is somewhat popular over here in Europe, the crossover between Style Savvy fans and Smash fans is minimal at best. The only reason I stumbled upon it was also due to the song and because the demo was advertised on my 3DS.
I'd say it still has quite the chance for a joke/left-field pick along the lines of :4wiifit: but since it's not as iconic as Wii Fit a rep would be unlikely. I think being a relaxed series might hold it back in the eyes of Sakurai but it does still have good moveset potential with a bit of creative liberty.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It would still feel very strange when talking about a franchise that doesn't show any signs of violent actions. Trophy cameos can work (examples can include some of the Fashion Forward characters like Evie, Sophie, Callie, and Ricky), but other than that is pretty much a long stretch, if not impossible.
I agree that's extremely unlikely, but after a character like Wii Fit Trainer, I don't think it's impossible. The nature of the series, lack of recognition, and possible lack of potential move set inspiration are definitely big hurdles, but looking at so many characters among other games that fit the comical joke character role of accidental fighting I don't think it's far fetched in concept at all. A bit of a pipe dream? Yes, I can concede that, but it's still a perfectly doable idea.

That aside, I would take some trophies and more music if that's all we have a chance of getting. I'd say a stage as well, but I don't see that as very likely either.

EDIT: Also to continue off my previous post, I don't know how reliable vgchartz is, but if they're at least close on their numbers for this then Style Savvy has actually sold more than Golden Sun...

SS series total = 4.5mil
GS series total = 3.77mil

However it doesn't seem like it accounts for Wii U VC sales of GS, so those numbers could potentially close the gap.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
We got a fourth Style Savvy game coming soon.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/13/new-style-boutique-3-styling-star-announced-europe-japan/

Just got announced in the Japanese and European directs. And there could be a new mechanic about singing. Or it's just theatrics stuff for the trailer.
Damn, I knew I should have watched the UK stream instead. I wonder why it wasn't shown on the US stream. Looking at the sales of past games I guess Style Savvy games just don't sell as well in the US as it does elsewhere so they just decided to leave the US out for the sake of saving money.
From what I can see the singing part is simply a cutscene with the clothes that you picked for the singer, though adding on rhythm gameplay like idol games might be a good direction for the series.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I think Style Savvy is the perfect candidate for the next Wii Fit Trainer. She might be in my top 5 (and I haven't played her game) and yes I'm being serious. I mean imagine stomping on your enemies feet with the back of a high heal. Or maybe this:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I think a Style Savvy stage could potentially be hilarious. xd
I actually want that to happen alot.

If not a character, a stage with remixed tracks from all four games can suffice.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Wow, there's some good new stuff in this sequel: working as idols, bringing back male fashion, I think I saw an actress job in there too, I like it. Even more potential for Smash.
The same things are holding it back such as completely non-violent game and girl-centric demographic, but I feel it's important for Smash to show all aspects of Nintendo games, including incredibly feminine games such as these. A work-around for the non-violent argument could be used if the game does contain an actress job, as Smash could be seen as an action movie audition :awesome:.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While I still don't think that the Style Savvy franchise will ever get any kind of playable representation, at least a new game could help expand the possible trophy cameos, along with BGM options.

I will have to ask why the Style Savvy franchise is limited to handheld systems only, but I'm probably guessing that the Nintendo Switch lacks the features that the 3DS can take advantage of (most notably, the touch screen).

Sadly, with Miiverse coming to an end in a few more weeks, you'll have to find some other way to show off your work in the next Style Savvy installment; this is not easy to do when you consider that Miiverse is the only way to take screenshots at (almost) any portion of a 3DS game.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Sadly, with Miiverse coming to an end in a few more weeks, you'll have to find some other way to show off your work in the next Style Savvy installment; this is not easy to do when you consider that Miiverse is the only way to take screenshots at (almost) any portion of a 3DS game.
I'm pretty sure I heard the words Twitter and Facebook at the part with screenshots on a timeline in the trailer, I don't know Japanese but I'm assuming you can upload to both of them after Miiverse gets killed off.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh good, we have new news on the game. And those new features look great. Glad that we have male clothing again.

And the worst part s having to wait months for a US localization. And I agree with Mario & Sonic Guy that a console Style Savvy game is a great idea due to the Switch being semi-portable., They just need a bigger team to support it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh good, we have new news on the game. And those new features look great. Glad that we have male clothing again.

And the worst part s having to wait months for a US localization. And I agree with Mario & Sonic Guy that a console Style Savvy game is a great idea due to the Switch being semi-portable., They just need a bigger team to support it.
You know, I wonder if Style Savvy would work out on the Switch. That's not to say I wouldn't want one, but still...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know, I wonder if Style Savvy would work out on the Switch. That's not to say I wouldn't want one, but still...
The touch screen already provides for ways to pick your clothes and shop. Or even use a camera.

As far as unique gimmicks, not really sure. Perhaps a dancing minigame for the catwalk? But this isn't Just Dance.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The touch screen already provides for ways to pick your clothes and shop. Or even use a camera.

As far as unique gimmicks, not really sure. Perhaps a dancing minigame for the catwalk? But this isn't Just Dance.
Oh, right. Well, I've just been wondering how Style Savvy could use the Switch's hardware to the fullest. Your suggestions certainly make it work. Heck, maybe the dancing mini-game would bring in more people. I mean, isn't Just Dance successful enough in that regard that Style Savvy could do something similar?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
> Digital only

I'm sorry, but that really killed my hype. Does Nintendo of America even HAVE faith in the series anymore? Think of all the physical only gamers they are alienating.

Still, glad that the wait won't be very long.

Last edited:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
> Digital only

I'm sorry, but that really killed my hype. Does Nintendo of America even HAVE faith in the series anymore? Think of all the physical only gamers they are alienating.

Still, glad that the wait won't be very long.
Ah I think nowadays buying stuff digitally is taking over in the way people buy games. So I wouldn't overthink things, it may come out in a physical copy later on. Only time will tell.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being eShop exclusive isn't that big of a deal if you've purchased the previous installments digitally as well.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
Style Saavy now officially has more games than Mother/Earthbound and Kid Icarus. I say go for it: It's only fair. She should at least be an Assist Trophy. Saavy Stylist takes the stage, but she just dresses everyone in new outfits instead of doing damage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Stylist has it all:
  • The potential for crazy movesets
  • The game power showoff (look at how fast we can render new models on the fly)
  • The sales figures
  • The WHAAAAA?! factor
  • The "wasted slot" salt. Oh my, the salt. I'm talking massive pillars of sodium chloride here.
If Animal Crossing and Wii Fit can fight then there's not reason not to bring this series on board.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Style Saavy now officially has more games than Mother/Earthbound and Kid Icarus. I say go for it: It's only fair. She should at least be an Assist Trophy. Saavy Stylist takes the stage, but she just dresses everyone in new outfits instead of doing damage.
I don't know if that would work out, since that would require the developers to take even more time to design the outfits for all the standard fighters (probably not worth the effort).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This would be hilarious, I support this

KatKit

Smash Lord
Bumping this. She is hands down my most wanted character for Smash Switch. I was disappointed she wasn't in Smash 4, but I did appreciate the songs and trophy from the series.

Let's see:

She's a 1st party character, from a relatively new IP, represents a handheld era that didn't get many reps, comes from a successful and fun franchise, is highly unique, underrated, comedic, unexpected, etc. Plus she will induce so much fabulous salt from haters.

Last edited:

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
I came back to Smash Boards as soon as I saw the trailer.
I hope Style Savvy gets a rep. >w> ♥

Top Bottom