• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Game Announced During Nintendo Direct

What do you think this new Smash game will be?

• A Deluxe version of Smash 4

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • An all-new Smash game

Votes: 119 82.1%

• Total voters
the_most_remarkable_thing_about_you_standing_in_the_doorway.jpg

After being announced on relatively short notice, the March 8th, 2018 Nintendo Direct ended with an unexpected announcement.

The teaser starts with a short scene of a shootout between two inklings amidst a white void. As they're fighting, their surroundings go dark, and the inkling girl turns to see a bright, glowing object behind her. As the reflection in her eye comes into focus, we catch a glimpse of the object - a burning Smash Ball emblem.

After zooming out to see how enormous it truly is, we catch a glimpse of two more characters: Mario and Link, both of whom are rendered in silhouette, illuminated from behind by the flames. Notably, Link seems to be wearing the Champion equipment from Breath of the Wild, rather than the traditional Hero's Tunic.

After a fade to white, two bits of text are shown on the screen: a Super Smash Bros. logo, followed by the year 2018. The message is clear: a new Smash game will be released by the end of the year. It is currently unknown whether it'll be a new game entirely or a deluxe release of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U.

Smashboards will continue to provide coverage for this game as new information emerges.

Last edited:
Scribe

Comments

It won't take long for people to make a meme and insert different logos in the Inkling's eye.

Anyways, I'm hyped. I think it will be a new entry. Here's hoping for Savvy Stylist (look it up) to be playable. Highly underrated character. Yes, I will shamelessly plug her in until the end of time.

Last edited:
time to unify the entire smash scene with a smash4 including all melee engine tricks , tech and pace.
4xM exists, so there is that. I doubt Sakurai will bring back (much) Melee mechanics because it increases the skill gap of players, which his goal is to welcome as many players as possible. You cannot please everyone in the world (plus I think L-Cancelling is a dumb mechanic, similar to what Mew2King said in his SSF2 video).

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Hoping to see more characters revealed during E3, specifically the return of Wolf and Ice Climbers.

I bet Sakurai’s going to make the genius idea of mixing Brawl and 64 to make one whole new (broken) game!

It wasn't as hype for me, because I knew it was eventually going to happen. It was a matter of when it was going to happen, but I didn't expect it to happen this soon.

The hype would probably die down when the game is released, similar to how the Final Video Presentation hype died down when the final DLC was released (and how busted Bayo was back then).
Nobody is going to comment here, because everyone is busy on all the character speculation threads for a while. XD
And I seem to be wrong. lol

I think we all knew it was going to happen. Regardless, it's official, and many of us will probably ritualistically stalk the game for updates and comment on them and whatnot.

I mean, I'm not super active on this site, but I came out of the shadows because of the reveal and I'm pretty much sticking around until it's out, real life be darned.

Last edited:
I think we all knew it was going to happen. Regardless, it's official, and many of us will probably ritualistically stalk the game for updates and comment on them and whatnot.

I mean, I'm not super active on this site, but I came out of the shadows because of the reveal and I'm pretty much sticking around until it's out, real life be darned.
Same here, this is my first time posting in a couple of years I think. This is absolutely amazing. The Inklings were also one of the top newcomers I wanted to be in the next game, and what a way to announce it.

And the floodgates open once again. This is gonna be a wild rest of the year.

Personally, I think this is something in between a port and a new game. A hybrid of sorts, like Super Mario Galaxy 2 was.

Honestly I believe this is a new smash game from personal belief. For a few reasons:
  • The way they presented the new title (around the time it showed the logo). It wasn't a smash 4 style. It seemed more dark and ominous. even the music helps with that feeling. Like everything is in ruins
  • If this is a port of smash 4, why bother redesigning the logo? Even if it may be placeholder
  • Sakurai hates re-releasing games, so even if a port is possible, it's less likely.
  • They would have presented the trailer in a different approach than they did if this was a port of smash 4.

Last edited:
so here's a (not so original crazy idea...) botw link....think he'll replace current link? or will he be another different version like Toon link?

might end up calling them different names on the select screen, Hero of time and Hero of the wilds....

I think it's possible he'll be a different link, where his ability to swap weapons is his gimmick. He down special has him switch between a sword, spear, and mace/longsword weapon. His entire moveset changes depending on what he's got equipped.

Honestly I believe this is a new smash game from personal belief. For a few reasons:
  • The way they presented the new title (around the time it showed the logo). It wasn't a smash 4 style. It seemed more dark and ominous. even the music helps with that feeling. Like everything is in ruins
  • If this is a port of smash 4, why bother redesigning the logo? Even if it may be placeholder
  • Sakurai hates re-releasing games, so even if a port is possible, it's less likely.
  • They would have presented the trailer in a different approach than they did if this was a port of smash 4.
Yeah, if it was a port they would've already shown gameplay. Why hide gameplay of a port that everyone has seen? It's the approach I'm curious about since they put 2018 at the end of the trailer.

so here's a (not so original crazy idea...) botw link....think he'll replace current link? or will he be another different version like Toon link?

might end up calling them different names on the select screen, Hero of time and Hero of the wilds....

I think it's possible he'll be a different link, where his ability to swap weapons is his gimmick. He down special has him switch between a sword, spear, and mace/longsword weapon. His entire moveset changes depending on what he's got equipped.
All we can do is wait and see what the deal with this Link is about.

Sakurai is working on this ****, I am not getting my hopes up for a game that is anywhere close to Melee, PM, or SSB64.

Last edited:
all right, Nintendo Cultists... better start drawing your stars on the floor and sacrificing older games to whatever lord you pray to.

seriously, the Switch really could have stood to wait another year or so... because I feel the Smash Bros. development team desperately needs some fresh faces taking the helm, somebody a little more willing to devise ways to genuinely bridge the gap between the casual market and the competitive crowd. Smash 4 was carried by what I call Hype Culture, which my friend best explains as the constant question of "What's Next?"

the game had a lot of very neat things in its package, but almost none of it was really interlinked with each other, and a majority of the extras could have been thrown out for a game that, in my opinion, was carried by the vocal fans' cries and demands. and when the patches stopped, the majority of players tore each other apart (and still won't stop whining about how strong Bayonetta is)

should this new game get into development, I want to see the whole package be something that feels complete... a fully fleshed out Single player element that lets newcomers get a grasp of the game's mechanics (sort of like how Brawl's Subspace Emissary had you make use of jumping and stuff during Pit's intro stage), the unlocks for the game would be after certain distinctive milestones with ALMOST nothing randomized, side modes that actually provide a different use of gameplay... and if there's customization options, I demand it be something that draws from every character's history and be at least mostly different.

TL:DR fan mods like Project M have the right idea on at least trying to strike a balance... if this potential new Smash is going to hold any lasting power without resorting to cheap hype tactics and catering to salty tears and shortsighted demands, then there can't be "extras", everything in the game should serve a purpose in the experience, and not serve to prop up the multiplayer. Players will carry the multiplayer themselves, don't do it for us.

Last edited:
The moment I watched this, I actually thought this was going to be more Splatoon news and when the Smash logo came up, I was surprised!

I'm definitely getting this game then.

I'm expecting a lot of roster cuts this time around (probably not as much as Melee's) but here's my prediction for cuts:

Likely Cuts!

Wii-Fit Trainer will be cut: Reasoning- Her series hasn't been relevant since the Wii/Wii U era and nobody wanted her in Smash at all, so she's the first likely one getting the boot.

Rosalina and Luma will be cut: Reasoning- Rosalina hasn't been nearly as popular in the mainstream Mario games as of lately (she was nowhere to be found at all in Odyssey), and if the Ice Climbers are returning (which isn't likely as they only have one game and Sakurai only adds in retro characters if he knows they are getting a new game in their series (which was another reason why the Icies didn't return for 4 (on top of 3DS limitations), they would replace Rosalina and Luma (unless they add in Pauline, which would be quite a shock as a replacement (would she rep Mario or Donkey Kong's series?)

Dark Pit and Lucinia are getting cut: Reasoning for Dark Pit- Kid Icarus hasn't had a new game since Uprising and Dark Pit was a highly unpopular choice for a roster spot so he's definitely going (unless Sakurai favors him to a degree for some reason)! Reasoning for Lucina- Fire Emblem Awakening is no longer the flavor of the month as it was back when Smash 4 was coming out, and she was a direct clone of Marth, I'm expecting Corrin to return over her (and Robin, but Robin is a unique character so he's a 50/50%).

Cloud will probably be cut: Reasoning- Square and Nintendo only agreed to allow Cloud in because Sakurai was being generous at the time and since Cloud has no history on Nintendo at all (aside from FFVII almost becoming an N64 entry), like Snake, Cloud won't be back!

Toon Link will probably get cut: Reasoning- Has his series been relevant at all lately aside from getting his games ported over? (and he's still a clone, granted if Breath of the Wild Link (which is replacing Twilight Princess Link) is getting a brand new moveset, maybe having Toon Link back might not be soo bad!

Greninja will be cut: Reasoning- Gen VI has come and gone, so I'm expecting a new Pokemon rep (likely either Decidueye or Incineroar will be the one to replace Greninja, since we have yet to get a proper Ghost or Dark type fighter in Smash (the closest one being Mewtwo).

Duck Hunt will be cut: Reasoning- They were meant as a retro replacement for the Ice Climbers, and since this is going to be a true sequel, this adorable (but very much hated) duo will finally be removed!

Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings will be cut: Reasoning- Bowser Jr. almost didn't make it into Smash 4's roster and I'm expecting him and his siblings to be removed as he's hasn't been quite relevant as of late!

50/50% Cuts (and those who are likely staying)!

Mega Man and Ryu: Depends on whether or not Capcom is willing to offer another go at it, since these two are quite popular with the fans all over, I can see both of them returning! (and if Cloud gets booted, maybe we might even get another rep from both series (Zero or Proto Man for Mega Man, and either Ken or Akuma for Ryu).

Sonic and Bayonetta: Since Bayonetta 3 is Switch exclusive (and Sonic had gotten 2 games on the Switch himself being Sonic Mania and Forces), these two are definitely staying put, I cannot fathom a Smash game without Sonic in it (Bayonetta maybe, but as stated before, she's getting an exclusive game on the Switch, hopefully she gets a massive massive nerf like Meta Knight did in Smash 4).

Pac-Man: Same as Mega Man and Ryu, since Namco-Bandai was the one who leaked that they would partner up with Nintendo again on Smash 6, Pac-Man has a 50/50% chance to return or being cut!

Mewtwo: Definitely staying put (as is Lucario), Sakurai would be very stupid to remove Mewtwo a 2nd time, if he does cut him again, fans will be outraged even more than them losing Ice Climbers or Wolf!

Robin: Even though Fire Emblem Awakening is now in the past, Robin is the only unique character that I can't see going, granted if he gets cut for a different reasoning than Lucina (who is a poor girl's version of Marth) it'll be that he's no longer as relevant!

Newcomers!

Inklings (confirmed, judging by the way they fight in the trailer, this implies that they might be replacing Mega Man, if this is indeed the case, then Ryu gets cut as well.)

A character from Arms (which wouldn't be too shocking, in before Lola Pop gets a roster spot)

New Pokemon rep to replace Greninja (Decidueye or Incineroar are likely to be the choices to replace him and god if Mewtwo gets cut, then both of these guys gets a spot).

Those are pretty much my predictions!

I'm expecting a lot of roster cuts this time around (probably not as much as Melee's) but here's my prediction for cuts:

Likely Cuts!

Wii-Fit Trainer will be cut: Reasoning- Her series hasn't been relevant since the Wii/Wii U era and nobody wanted her in Smash at all, so she's the first likely one getting the boot.

Rosalina and Luma will be cut: Reasoning- Rosalina hasn't been nearly as popular in the mainstream Mario games as of lately (she was nowhere to be found at all in Odyssey), and if the Ice Climbers are returning (which isn't likely as they only have one game and Sakurai only adds in retro characters if he knows they are getting a new game in their series (which was another reason why the Icies didn't return for 4 (on top of 3DS limitations), they would replace Rosalina and Luma (unless they add in Pauline, which would be quite a shock as a replacement (would she rep Mario or Donkey Kong's series?)

Dark Pit and Lucinia are getting cut: Reasoning for Dark Pit- Kid Icarus hasn't had a new game since Uprising and Dark Pit was a highly unpopular choice for a roster spot so he's definitely going (unless Sakurai favors him to a degree for some reason)! Reasoning for Lucina- Fire Emblem Awakening is no longer the flavor of the month as it was back when Smash 4 was coming out, and she was a direct clone of Marth, I'm expecting Corrin to return over her (and Robin, but Robin is a unique character so he's a 50/50%).

Cloud will probably be cut: Reasoning- Square and Nintendo only agreed to allow Cloud in because Sakurai was being generous at the time and since Cloud has no history on Nintendo at all (aside from FFVII almost becoming an N64 entry), like Snake, Cloud won't be back!

Toon Link will probably get cut: Reasoning- Has his series been relevant at all lately aside from getting his games ported over? (and he's still a clone, granted if Breath of the Wild Link (which is replacing Twilight Princess Link) is getting a brand new moveset, maybe having Toon Link back might not be soo bad!

Greninja will be cut: Reasoning- Gen VI has come and gone, so I'm expecting a new Pokemon rep (likely either Decidueye or Incineroar will be the one to replace Greninja, since we have yet to get a proper Ghost or Dark type fighter in Smash (the closest one being Mewtwo).

Duck Hunt will be cut: Reasoning- They were meant as a retro replacement for the Ice Climbers, and since this is going to be a true sequel, this adorable (but very much hated) duo will finally be removed!

Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings will be cut: Reasoning- Bowser Jr. almost didn't make it into Smash 4's roster and I'm expecting him and his siblings to be removed as he's hasn't been quite relevant as of late!

Mega Man and Ryu: Depends on whether or not Capcom is willing to offer another go at it, since these two are quite popular with the fans all over, I can see both of them returning! (and if Cloud gets booted, maybe we might even get another rep from both series (Zero or Proto Man for Mega Man, and either Ken or Akuma for Ryu).

Sonic and Bayonetta: Since Bayonetta 3 is Switch exclusive (and Sonic had gotten 2 games on the Switch himself being Sonic Mania and Forces), these two are definitely staying put, I cannot fathom a Smash game without Sonic in it (Bayonetta maybe, but as stated before, she's getting an exclusive game on the Switch, hopefully she gets a massive massive nerf like Meta Knight did in Smash 4).

Pac-Man: Same as Mega Man and Ryu, since Namco-Bandai was the one who leaked that they would partner up with Nintendo again on Smash 6, Pac-Man has a 50/50% chance to return or being cut!

Mewtwo: Definitely staying put (as is Lucario), Sakurai would be very stupid to remove Mewtwo a 2nd time, if he does cut him again, fans will be outraged even more than them losing Ice Climbers or Wolf!

Robin: Even though Fire Emblem Awakening is now in the past, Robin is the only unique character that I can't see going, granted if he gets cut for a different reasoning than Lucina (who is a poor girl's version of Marth) it'll be that he's no longer as relevant!

Newcomers!

Inklings (confirmed, judging by the way they fight in the trailer, this implies that they might be replacing Mega Man, if this is indeed the case, then Ryu gets cut as well.)

A character from Arms (which wouldn't be too shocking, in before Lola Pop gets a roster spot)

New Pokemon rep to replace Greninja (Decidueye or Incineroar are likely to be the choices to replace him and god if Mewtwo gets cut, then both of these guys gets a spot).

I dont think they would cut many people really. Unless they absolutely need to, I dont see a point in cutting charectors left and right. Good predictions still!

Sakurai himself said that he was stretching the limits for character roster. It's way to hard to balance a game when there are that many characters.

Likely Cuts!

Newcomers!

Well, time for the inevitable counter-arguments. Ahhhh... You truly don't know how much you'll miss something until it's gone...

The Cuts:

Wii Fit Trainer: Marth was literally the same way, and she was received positively. Doubt she's getting kicked at all.

Rosalina & Luma: If that's your reasoning, then no... She was in Mario Kart 8 Delux... On top of that, she's in the new Mario Tennis game.
On a side note, Sakurai had a working version of Ice Climbers on the Wii U version of Smash, so they're most likely coming back.

Dark Pit and Lucina: I think only one of them are getting cut while the other is going to get a new moveset. It wouldn't make too much sense for them to cut potential like those two. But yeah that's just me, I don't have a real argument in their defense.

Cloud: Are we still saying that? Denial won't make that argument relevant anymore. I'm not sure if Cloud will return or not, but it needs to be said that if he doesn't, it won't be for the reasons you listed. If that "needs to be on a Nintendo console" rule really mattered at all, Sakurai's whim wouldn't have convinced anybody to let Cloud in the game.

Toon Link: No... He's definitely coming back as a clone... Him being in Smash 4 alone all but confirms that.

Greninja: That's literally no reason for him to get cut... At all...

Duck Hunt: Ooooor they'll stay because him being a retro character has no bearing on anything. Point in case: Game & Watch.
In all honesty, he should've been in the 50/50 area.

Bowser Jr.: And I'm expecting him to stay since he was a highly requested character that Sakurai managed to force in!

50/50 guys:

Robin: This is the only one I disagree with in the sense that relevance doesn't play a factor in deciding who stays and who goes. Half of the roster and their requested characters wouldn't even be here if that were really the case. Retro characters wouldn't be a thing if that were really the case. Shiek would've been gone by Brawl, let alone coming back for SSB4. Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo would've been gone for good. Ness, Captain Falcon, Marth (who'd be replaced by Lucina), Lucario, Jigglypuff, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and several more would have been cut if relevance ever dictated who got cut and who stayed. Hell Pac-man and Cloud wouldn't even be in the game if it mattered that much. Whether Robin makes it back is up in the air, but relevance will play too little a role in that decision, I can guarantee you that.

The Newcomers:

I think Sakurai is gonna pull from the Mii DLC costumes for the New character choices.
Specifically:
King K. Rool
Geno
Lloyd (50/50)
Takamaru
Chrom (50/50. Hopefully as a companion to Robin, similar to Nana or even have him in the background and switch between him and Robin using the d-special)
Zero (50/50)
And Heihachi
But hey, that's just my two cents on the newcomer roster.

Last edited:
4xM exists, so there is that.
Almost nobody wants to buy a failed system for Melee-like play on Smash 4, especially given the project's numerous limitations (input delay, anyone?)

You cannot please everyone in the world
So why should we care when 95% of people will play the game without any thought to how it actually plays? Do you think when Melee came out, people went, "Ugh! I can't play this! It's too hard!" :omegalulz:

Last edited:
all right, Nintendo Cultists... better start drawing your stars on the floor and sacrificing older games to whatever lord you pray to.

seriously, the Switch really could have stood to wait another year or so... because I feel the Smash Bros. development team desperately needs some fresh faces taking the helm, somebody a little more willing to devise ways to genuinely bridge the gap between the casual market and the competitive crowd. Smash 4 was carried by what I call Hype Culture, which my friend best explains as the constant question of "What's Next?"

the game had a lot of very neat things in its package, but almost none of it was really interlinked with each other, and a majority of the extras could have been thrown out for a game that, in my opinion, was carried by the vocal fans' cries and demands. and when the patches stopped, the majority of players tore each other apart (and still won't stop whining about how strong Bayonetta is)

should this new game get into development, I want to see the whole package be something that feels complete... a fully fleshed out Single player element that lets newcomers get a grasp of the game's mechanics (sort of like how Brawl's Subspace Emissary had you make use of jumping and stuff during Pit's intro stage), the unlocks for the game would be after certain distinctive milestones with ALMOST nothing randomized, side modes that actually provide a different use of gameplay... and if there's customization options, I demand it be something that draws from every character's history and be at least mostly different.

TL:DR fan mods like Project M have the right idea on at least trying to strike a balance... if this potential new Smash is going to hold any lasting power without resorting to cheap hype tactics and catering to salty tears and shortsighted demands, then there can't be "extras", everything in the game should serve a purpose in the experience, and not serve to prop up the multiplayer. Players will carry the multiplayer themselves, don't do it for us.
Well put.

Last edited:
Top Bottom