• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
No, because hes classic for a reason. His first game was on NES and that MM10 is most recent is even more support.
And I said relevant to Nintendo

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Okay...so regarding the roster, why would a "delete" feature even be necessary? I don't get the concept behind it's unless it a customizable Mii.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
A delete feature would be necessary if the DS had a limit for a big roster, and possibly exclusive Wii characters. Im just thinking of a way the transfer system would work if the Wii had more characters since youre the one who said to take the DS to account
Also a trade wouldnt work too well since you would have double characters

OmegaXXII

Ah, okay, now I see where you're getting, I guess it acts as a solution if you wanted to play as a certain character on the 3DS, but I'm saying this function will most likely happen if we either get non-universal rosters or a Wii-U version with exclusives, I guess that could work, the flaw is that people would have a tough time deciding which character to "delete" which I doubt anybody would want to do, unless it loaded up from extended memory stick or something, I think.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Itd only be for single player modes anyway. Dont think of it as moving characters, more copypasta. You delete a character for room and then "copy and paste" the other character from the Wii. Custom roster and still universal.

OmegaXXII

Yeah, I get ya', I guess that works.

Anyway, more single player mini games would be nice such as character specific Break the Targets, Race to the finish (with bumpers), and of course Board the Platforms, those would easily make a single player experience for fin and enjoyable IMO.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Thats only assuming if it doesnt. Just showing reasons why a 55 character roster would be possible

Hell yea! Race to the finish is always fun :D and maybe the mini games from Melee Adv mode too, unless theyd be event matches

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Space is kind of a non-issue, really.

Individual Targets, Platforms, and Races should have online leaderboards and better HIGHSCORE KEEPING in general. Y'know, really make it an arcade experience.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Escape from Brinstar, Mute City marathon and I guess the Zelda maze but with different characters to fight

Then even more reason to have more characters. This is SSB4. MOAR KAIRACTORZ
Btw Oasis, that follow up attack you mentioned? Thats gotta be written down somewhere, its a great idea :3

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's hardly MINE...
I'm sure a lot of games already do that. I just wasn't sure what it was called, and I want to see something like it in Smash.

OmegaXXII

Then even more reason to have more characters. This is SSB4. MOAR KAIRACTORZ

Yes I see, though that Link place in Melee wasn't a mini game at all. XD

Lol..I laughed at the "MOAR KAIRACTORZ" part. :laugh:

I will critique and give you suggestions for a Megaman moveset once I get back, see ya.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Ill be sure to find them when I wake up so lata

@Oasis
Well probably but to suggest it in SSB sounds pretty original. It adds to that "unique" moveset people keep bringing up (which btw no one has answered my question...is it really that hard of a question?)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I honestly don't understand why people feel like Sonic didn't fit in, besides the obvious fact that he's not Nintendo. He's still a very cartoony character and his playstyle wasn't much out of the ordinary at all, save for his crazy speed.

You could pretend like Sega was a subsidiary of Nintendo, and his games were all published under a Nintendo license. His style is very evolved-from-retro just like characters like Mario or Pit. And I can't stand it when people say such arbitrary things as "Sonic just didn't feel right" or crap like that.

I think Megaman (classic in particular) would fit absolutely SSB just fine. It's characters like Snake who have to go out of their way to even begin to fit into SSB. But Sonic and Megaman are natural fits, despite being third-party.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Oasis
Well probably but to suggest it in SSB sounds pretty original. It adds to that "unique" moveset people keep bringing up (which btw no one has answered my question...is it really that hard of a question?)
Surely Kuma or someone has gone on about it before in TALK that probably went over my head.

What was your question again? What makes a moveset "unique"? I doubt I can give a satisfactory answer. I mean, you can tack on a moveset to any character. If you really want to, you can. To be unique... I guess it has to be a moveset that no other character could do. It has to have personality to it, and a general feel that really ADDS to the roster. Like, with my Ridley moveset, I guess I sort of made him a bit like Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, but at the same time I wanted to take advantage of his own abilities or even just his SHAPE. Stretchy tail, weirdo neck, etc. Tried to throw in his brutal personality as well.

DUNNO. I believe Sakurai has made the point that he feels each character in Smash would be able to stand on their own on the basis of how they play, and not their name. Like if you were to remove every Nintendo character and replace them with an original character, but kept the movesets intact, Smash would still be as enjoyable because each character is so different. Something like that.

It's a good sentiment.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
To me, Sonic's games had a completely different feel to them than Nintendo's games did. I loved them both considering that they had very different feels.

Maybe it was the landscape in his games, you know you're playing SEGA when you run in to a landscape like that.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
D*mmit I hate when I make a long post and I get logged out on mobile :mad:
@Oasis
Thanks, that answers unique well and I just remembered that --- answered too: that people overreact to clones. Sure the first reaction in Melee was "wtf theres like 3 Marios" but you end up using them differently (in Marios case I just dont Fair :p)
You basically said what I said, just more specific. Creativity is nice but it shouldnt be the key reason to cut or add someone on the roster
It just surprises me that some people say that Toon Link or Lucas should be cut or that some characters shouldnt be considered because they lack in being "unique".
I just wanna hear a more in depth reason when "unique" is used.

/rant

@Hex
Youre absolutely right they both fit SSB well. Maybe some people are saying that Sonic doesnt because they dont like how he plays since there were obviously a lot of orginal attacks otherwise its probably just plain biased. I mean just looking at him you could tell he already fits

@Luco
All platformers felt the same to me. As those franchises developed its a little harder to tell what feels like Nintendo :O

Well time for me to pass out. Been up for quite some time

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
When it comes to differences between early Sega and Nintendo games, I would say the biggest difference is the aesthetics. Nintendo and Sega approach the aesthetics differently.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
D*mmit I hate when I make a long post and I get logged out on mobile :mad:
@Oasis
Thanks, that answers unique well and I just remembered that --- answered too: that people overreact to clones. Sure the first reaction in Melee was "wtf theres like 3 Marios" but you end up using them differently (in Marios case I just dont Fair :p)
You basically said what I said, just more specific. Creativity is nice but it shouldnt be the key reason to cut or add someone on the roster
It just surprises me that some people say that Toon Link or Lucas should be cut or that some characters shouldnt be considered because they lack in being "unique".
I just wanna hear a more in depth reason when "unique" is used.
Well, clones aren't a good thing. Not the most terrible of things, but still. In my mind, variety is always better. Especially when the clone character has more potential to be unique. Toon Link and Ganondorf don't HAVE to be (semi)clones, but they've been cursed by Melee. And I'm going to have to disagree, moveset potential should be a huge factor in determining characters. It's why I'm so against Toad. Sure he's popular and had (lolol) significance to the Mario series, but that doesn't make him a good choice for a playable character. ESPECIALLY when there are other characters in the series that DO have much more to bring to Smash, such as Junior and Paper Mario (though I sort of disagree that Paper Mario would really bring very much).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
These are rumors floating on the internet. Take it with a grain of salt. But it is interesting none the less.

-Sakurai wants to focus more on characters this time, and less on the extra fluff, though he still wants there to be plenty of extra content.

-Some of the assist trophy characters will become full characters, however Lucario will not be returning. Mewtwo is also out of the question, as are the Melee clones. It's also a possibility that some characters who were starters in Brawl will become unlockable in 4, much like Falcon and Ness from Melee to Brawl.

-Main control scheme will be Classic Controller, as the Wii U is not compatible with Gamecube tech. The tablet controller won't be for controlling characters, but there will be a use for it.

-Pokemon Trainer may get new pokemon. Another Pokemon Trainer character is "Highly unlikely"

-No new characters for "heavily populated" series, more focus will be put on series that need more characters. Star Fox series is "A notable exception" to the rule for some reason...

-No more Pikmin characters. Feels that Olimar is "suitable representation"

-No more F-Zero characters, as Falcon had to have a'lot of work done to become a character, and is the "face" of F-Zero. Having other characters would detract from this...

-No more Mother characters, as the series is still mainly a Japan exclusive. Lucas and Ness represent the major titles effectively.

-No more Donkey Kong characters, though Donkey Kong assist trophies are in high demand, and at least three new assist trophies are planned, including one from Diddy Kong Racing, which will be represented better in Smash 4.

-No more characters for the Yoshi and Wario series.

-No more Zelda characters; if Tingle were to become a character(NOT confirmed), he would get his own series icon and be the sole representative.

-No more Kirby characters.

-Kid Icarus will be receiving a major overhaul. Expect at least one new character, several assist trophies, and a new stage alongside the one from Brawl.

-For Metroid, there will be one new character added. One that fans requested, and was thought to be an impossible addition, but the team have found a way to add them to the game, though it won't be a perfect transition.

-Alternate costumes for characters other than Wario are "being looked into", still nothing concrete.

-No more Fire Emblem characters. Marth represents the old, while Ike represents the new. Fire Emblem is still going to recieve extra attention to other details however, including at least two new assist trophies.

-If a Third Party character has appeared in Smash, they are not likely to leave. In the case of Sonic, his reception was met positively, so SEGA has decided to give the development team free liberty to add him as a playable character. There won't be more than one character per company however. For example, if Capcom allowed the team to use both Ryu and Mega Man, they could only choose one.

-In addition to new stages, there will be a selection of classic stages from all 3 previous Smash titles. One in particular from the original was "missed dearly by the fans".

-Mario will incorporate a new move from the Galaxy series, and the Galaxy series will be represented proper in Smash 4. Galaxy wasen't represented in Brawl due to not having substantial content to work with, but now there is "plenty of content to derive from the Galaxy series, especially with two distinct titles".

Note that is is all tentaive and is subject to change. The game is not in actual development, these are merely ideas discussed by a board of nintendo employees and member of the development team. Kid Icarus is near completion and development will begin a few months after the release.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Clones are gone, but Semi-clones aren't too much better. Especially Ganondorf.... ugh...

D

Deleted member

I have a lot to say about this. After I get homework done, I'll taken a look at this.

Steam

Smash Hero
yeah seeing as the game isn't even in development... they really aren't even discussing these things yet. they should pretty much be treated like the rumors they are XD

lol, focus on new character then saying there will be no new characters from all these big series except star fox... but star fox is honesty lucky to have 3 XD

this is all silly

Thino

Smash Master
as usual those rumors do their best to sound legit, even though development starts in October presumably

nice focusing on the fact that Sakurai is developping Kid Icarus to assume that the game is gonna get more reps , it could almost happen and make those rumors legit

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
yeah seeing as the game isn't even in development... they really aren't even discussing these things yet. they should pretty much be treated like the rumors they are XD
Setting aside the rumors, it is actually quite possible (in fact extraordinarily likely) that there is discussion going on right now about their "battleplan" for the next game. Remember development is going to start within a few months. You don't just begin development half-cocked with no idea what you are doing. Especially when you are paying people for such a high caliber game as Super Smash Bros. It is quite possible there are people from the various teams within Nintendo, throwing out ideas and suggestions. Even if Sakurai is not actively involved, I guarantee you he has somebody in his place to gather the information. So I wouldn't be so quick to say it is out of the realm of possibility.

Even without this rumor, I can bet you ten bucks Nintendo and select members of Project Sora are in talks with first and second party developers at this time. Getting their suggestions and approval on what and what not to include.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
-Some of the assist trophy characters will become full characters, however Lucario will not be returning. Mewtwo is also out of the question, as are the Melee clones.

-Main control scheme will be Classic Controller, as the Wii U is not compatible with Gamecube tech. The tablet controller won't be for controlling characters, but there will be a use for it.

-No new characters for "heavily populated" series, more focus will be put on series that need more characters. Star Fox series is "A notable exception" to the rule for some reason...

- Galaxy wasen't represented in Brawl due to not having substantial content to work with, but now there is "plenty of content to derive from the Galaxy series, especially with two distinct titles".

1. Mewtwo and Roy are the two most requested characters for Smash 4 among the Japanese fanbase. Mewtwo is also among the most requested characters among the Western fanbase. I guess the with both Mewtwo and Lucario being cut, the Pokemon newcomer will almost assuredly be Zoroark.

2. Considering that Sakurai's team made Brawl playable with every possible controller for the Wii (remote, Classic controller, GameCube), I doubt that Smash 4 will not be playable with the Wii U controller.

3. I like how this leaker mentions that they are not giving characters to "populated" series, yet only Metroid and Kid Icarus are getting newcomers. Its absurd that Donkey Kong would not get a third character considering how much clamor there is for one, and how the series continues to get very high sales.

4. No. This is probably the thing that sinks this "insider". Galaxy did not content in Brawl as a result of it being released two months prior to Brawl's release. Keep in mind most of Brawl's content from games released in 2007 were stickers and model/song rips. Galaxy was simply completed too far into Brawl's development cycle (it was likely in debugging by the time Galaxy was released).

Also, the whole comment about how Sakurai simply wants to focus on characters this time also reeks. Sakurai himself said that simply adding "more" for characters and stages would not warrant a Smash sequel this time.

This rumor came from 4ch, so I am already on edge about taking it as truth. However, these were just some of the aspects to it that felt very off.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh it didn't even take me going past the first sentence to know this was fake. Only reason I posted it was to spark discussion. The rumors itself I do not believe. Heck, at least that Japanese list made by that Japanese girl claiming to work for Project Sora was somewhat believable.

OmegaXXII

Yes cartoony and bright, just like Dragon Quest. lol

Haha, I like it.

Edit: What is up with those phonny rumors? Where did you get such things? For all I know they are made up.

Clearly the thing that clearly gave it away was the fact that "Marth is old" and "Ike is new", and no 3rd rep should happen, are you freaking serious??

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Surely Kuma or someone has gone on about it before in TALK that probably went over my head.
I'll go ahead and explain it.

Followup attacks are not necessarily the same as following up separate attacks in a combo. Rather, followup attack exist "within" a particular move. Let me provide and example with my main, El Fuerte.

His Habanero Dash (236+P) has him run forward, but in this run, there are several things he can do.

Backwards Habanero Dash (214+P) - Run in the opposite direction. You can actually dash dance with this. Makes people mad.
[COLLAPSE="Button Followups"]
Pressing these buttons in the Habanero Dash will give you these options.
LP - Stop in place
MP - A overhead bodyslam where you must block high.
HP - A jump in command grab that must be blocked low or evaded.
LK - Step back, used for feinting.
MK - Runs in with a kick which can combo into his super combo among other things.
HK - Slides in causing a knockdown.

From the Backwards Habanero Dash
LP - Stop in place
MP - A overhead bodyslam where you must block high.
HP - A jump in command grab that must be avoided as you can't block it high or low.
Any Kick Button - Jumps back a far distance.
[/COLLAPSE]
With these examples, these moves are only available from the dash. You will have exceptions where an attack is available as both a followup AND a standalone attack.

This kind of followup is used for mixups, making your opponent guess what you're gonna do next, especially on their wakeup. There are other types though, but this example gets the point across.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Okay. I have two tidbits that further disprove this guy.

1. Apparently, some people have looked on /v/ on 4ch to find the original topic for the rumor, and its not there.'

2. The poster of the rumor on GameFAQs, ChronoCactuar, appears to like posting "inside information". Here is a similar thread he posted on the Mario Kart 7 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997822-mario-kart-7/60183260

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Omega, don't take it too seriously. Just somebody trying to run around as a "RoundCactus" figure.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been playing my Street Fighter Iv 3DS and I'm not so sure about this whole 3DS cartridge having a lot of memory thing I've been hearing.

The people in the background aren't animated. They just stand there like paper cutouts or something. Even Street Fighter II had animated backgrounds. NOTHING in the background moves, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom