• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Pokemon Type Ideas

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
So, this has probably been done before...sometime in the past. But as of right now, no such thread exists... that I'm aware of. :p

So, anyway, here's the topic: If you could create a Pokemon type, what would it be? Weakness and Resistance? Thoughts on Pokemon from the past that should be coupled up with the new type? I'll start out with the most screamingly obvious choice: Light.

Strong Against:
Darkness (Obv)
Psychic
Ghost
Ice (Sunlight melts it)

Weak Against:
Steel (Reflects light)
Grass (Absorbs light)

Resistant to:
Darkness
Ghost
Psychic

Weak to:
Steel
Grass

The most obvious choice for a past Pokemon to be light type in my opinion would be Ampharous... simply because it is the light pokemon, and works in Olivine Lighthouse. But Light can be taken two ways... As in Good, and as in Light, much as Dark can be taken in Evil, and as in Darkness. In that regard, I feel Blissey would also be a good canidate. So...that's what I think Pokemon needs! :] Thoughts?

Ilex

Smash Ace
We already have a Light type, it's just represented by Psychic, Normal, Electric, and sometimes Fire.

I want to see a nuclear/mutant type.

Burrbomb

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm......Light, that might not be a bad Idea!

My type: Sand

Strong against: Rock, Ice, Steel, water

Weak against: Poison

Resistance: Fighting, Flying

Weakness: Ground, Grass, Fire

I figure you could make Trapinch/Vibrava a sand type.

Sand types strive in heat and cold and can live w/o water and other necessities for a long time. Over time they wear and tear against rocks to create sand. When mixed with Fire it creates glass so Sand is weak against Fire.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
So, this has probably been done before...sometime in the past. But as of right now, no such thread exists... that I'm aware of. :p

So, anyway, here's the topic: If you could create a Pokemon type, what would it be? Weakness and Resistance? Thoughts on Pokemon from the past that should be coupled up with the new type? I'll start out with the most screamingly obvious choice: Light.

Strong Against:
Darkness (Obv)
Psychic
Ghost
Ice (Sunlight melts it)

Weak Against:
Steel (Reflects light)
Grass (Absorbs light)

Resistant to:
Darkness
Ghost
Psychic

Weak to:
Steel
Grass

The most obvious choice for a past Pokemon to be light type in my opinion would be Ampharous... simply because it is the light pokemon, and works in Olivine Lighthouse. But Light can be taken two ways... As in Good, and as in Light, much as Dark can be taken in Evil, and as in Darkness. In that regard, I feel Blissey would also be a good canidate. So...that's what I think Pokemon needs! :] Thoughts?
Psychic is light.

Hmmm......Light, that might not be a bad Idea!

My type: Sand

Strong against: Rock, Ice, Steel, water

Weak against: Poison

Resistance: Fighting, Flying

Weakness: Ground, Grass, Fire

I figure you could make Trapinch/Vibrava a sand type.

Sand types strive in heat and cold and can live w/o water and other necessities for a long time. Over time they wear and tear against rocks to create sand. When mixed with Fire it creates glass so Sand is weak against Fire.
You mean 'Ground?'

I don't think we need anymore types. If I could add a type, though, I guess it'd be... Erm... Plastic?

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Nuclear

Weaknesses: Ground, Dark

Resistances: Poison, Ice, Grass, Nuclear

Immunities: Fire

Strong against: Water, Flying, Grass, Normal

Resisted by: Steel, Bug, Nuclear

Explosion could be changed to be a Nuclear type attack while Voltorb/Electrode could be Electric/Nuclear.

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
Psychic is light.
Psychic type wouldn't be light for a few reasons. 1) If it were light, why would darkness have power over it, and it have no power over darkness whatsoever? 2) Light, much like darkness, as I said before, could not only represent physical properties, such as light like from the sun, but also alignment as well. Notice how some dark Pokemon are wicked in appearance and acts according to the pokedex. Crawdaunt is a rogue, Houndoom looks evil, Honchkrow is a mobster, and Darkrai... need I say more? Psychic types seem rather neutral, much like all the other types. I just feel there needs to be a light type, much like there were light types in the TCG. I wish those would've lasted longer.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
We don't need anymore types. This will prompt Nintendo to make more ****ty Pokemon, which leads to more ****ty legendaries.

The amount we have is already fine, thanks. Any other types would just be stupid. A light type is already represented by thunder and fire. A sound type would just be stupid. A sand type? Are you kidding me?

Yeah, no more types, thanks.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Psychic type wouldn't be light for a few reasons. 1) If it were light, why would darkness have power over it, and it have no power over darkness whatsoever? Because that would be a terrible RPG stereotype. 2) Light, much like darkness, as I said before, could not only represent physical properties, such as light like from the sun, but also alignment as well. Notice how some dark Pokemon are wicked in appearance and acts according to the pokedex. Crawdaunt is a rogue, Houndoom looks evil, Honchkrow is a mobster, and Darkrai... need I say more? Psychic types seem rather neutral, much like all the other types. What about Cresselia, Celebii, Gardevour, Mew, etc? I just feel there needs to be a light type, much like there were light types in the TCG. I wish those would've lasted longer.
Comments in bold. Psychic is definately intended to be the Light-type.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I'd say sound type. We have tons of sound based attacks, might as well make use of them. Plus we have sound devotee pokemon.

Exploud
Chimecho
Chatot
Politoed (The Pokedex description says he likes to sing to attract other frogs)
Kricketune
JIGGLYPUFF

There are some others, but they already have good typing, such as Crobat, and Yanma.

Super Effective:
Steel (sound travels faster through metals than air)
Water (see above)
Ghost?

Not very effective:
Bug (insensitive hearing)
Psychic (They're good against 2 types but are weak against 3. I'm just balancing it)
Rock (Most don't have ears?)

Resistances:
Steel
Ghost
Water
Fighting (Hah, I resist the ghost/fight combo! WHAT NAO!!?)

Weaknesses:
Psychic
Bug

But it failed: (To make Soundproof Pokemon just as good as Levitating Pokemon)
Soundproof Pokemon

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
The only thing I can think of is that Flying is a bit too wide arching... Probably because it was originally supposed to be strictly for birds, but running out of ideas forced them to change that making it essentially what an Air type would be. Maybe a Cloud, Mist or Wind type, that's effective against Fighting, Flying, Fire, weak to Ice and maybe Ghost. Rock and Wind are immune to eachother (like Ghost and Normal).

In short, though, any new type I can think of is a midway point between two different types...

Spire

III
BRoomer
i think cloud or fog would be a good one, swablu and altaria could be could/fog type.
Clouds and fog are the same thing, firstly, and are composed mainly of water. For specific, conceptual types like "cloud", you could easily cross Water with Flying, and voila, you have "cloud".

I don't suppose you want to know how to make a "Squall" or "Tidus", do you?

Why isn't this topic going on in the 5th Gen thread? It has been the heat of discussion for the last few pages, and should continue there. Please do so.

Ilex

Smash Ace
Spire III said:
Why isn't this topic going on in the 5th Gen thread? It has been the heat of discussion for the last few pages, and should continue there. Please do so.
That thread is too chaotic to discuss everything regarding the 5th gen. This thread addresses one aspect in particular, and doesn't even necessarily mean 5th gen.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Not every idea can be suggested "for the next generation", because they have to be adjusted each time.

Light-type is not great, but I like Sound-type. Only catch is, either Bug Buzz will lose power, or Soundproof will have to block it as well. Perhaps Soundproof could block Sound-type moves as well as sound-based attacks.

Wait- does that make Politoed weak against the Psychic-type?

Stellar-type would be nice. Magic users, as well as Clefairy, could benefit from such a conversion, particularly if Facade turned Stellar.

0RLY

...Sure? I wasn't sure on what Sound should be ineffective against... It doesn't seem to fit well with the other types so I just chose what could make the MOST sense. Any changes you think I should make?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have an idea,

???

Super Effective against: Nothing
Not Very Effective against: Nothing
Resistances: None
Weakness: None
Immunities: None

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
a sound type would be cool and so would a space type IMO. But all the sound based moves would become sound attacks so soundproof would simply block sound based attacks.

I know it would be strong against water, steel, fighting? and psychic (sound does affect how the mind thinks). I agree weak against bugs and probably some off the wall type weakness (reminded of the bug weakness of psychics).

the Igglbuff line up, chatot, chimecho and chingling, and the exploud line up should definitly be sound types, not so sure about Politoad.

Also the space theme is undeniable. Pokemon like Deoxsys, clefiary and friends among others have that theme of space and with the moon stone, and moves like gravity....as for type advantages I'm not sure but I think it would have an advantage over psychics and a disadvantage over bugs (cocaroach). Maybe also a advantage over dragons because the whole dinosaur/ meteor concept (though I know dragons aren't dinos but....)

honestly i'd love to see a type with no weaknesses or resistances.

Megachuk

Smash Ace
Sound type sounds cool, it should probably be Super effective against ground since its so over powered right now. Or have cool abilities that get rid of sandstorm/stealth rock as they come into play, as if the force of their cry blows them away. It also gives sound proof more of a use.

The idea of a magic type is neat as well, prolly super effective against normal, dragon, and rock. And perhaps weak against dark, and ghost.

roy is my boi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Luster Purge gives it away, big time.

I'd say sound type. We have tons of sound based attacks, might as well make use of them. Plus we have sound devotee pokemon.

Exploud
Chimecho
Chatot
Politoed
Kricketune

There are some others, but they already have good typing, such as Crobat, and Yanma.

Super Effective:
Steel (sound travels faster through metals than air)
Ghost
Grass
Water?
Flying?

Not very effective:
Bug (insensitive hearing?)
Psychic
Grass
Flying?
Water?

Resistances:
Steel
Ghost

Weaknesses:
Psychic
Bug

But it failed:
Soundproof Pokemon
Maybe effects of the sound move are eliminated, but the attacks are halfed?

Various Bug and Flying types would work well with this typing. Any changes I should make?
This is prob the best idea so far. IMO

I have an idea,

???

Super Effective against: Nothing
Not Very Effective against: Nothing
Resistances: None
Weakness: None
Immunities: None
maybe divine type? like mewtwo and stuff?

Mewter

Smash Master
WOAH!
There's already a thread like this!
Maybe we should sort through the 3 pages of stuff the Pokecenter has and find it.
By the way.
How about there are three types of antimatter types?
Solid- Good against rock, fighting, ice, ground,
Liquid- good against water, fire, lightning
Gas- good against psychic, dark, ghost, bug
I think so.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
WOAH!
Maybe we should sort through the 3 pages of stuff the Pokecenter has and find it.
By the way.
I think so.
Solid- Rock, Ground (not really a type as a solid can be anything, grass,ground,rock,ice)
liquid- we have water
gas- not sure about this but ghost seems to go with gas as ghost.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
WOAH!
By the way.
I think so.
Ill agree with the gas, types, but few would fit. that part doesn't matter, but gas is the closest thing we might have to a new type

LAME.

We need a sunkern and magikarp type

Good against: Nothing
Bad against: everything
they should make pikachu a type

good against: evertyhing
bad against: NOTHING
you uys are hilarious
*sarcasm*

0RLY

Made some tiny changes to Sound type, if you guys are still interested! :)

Poison should be super effective against Bug, or the other way around.
Poison should be super effective against Normal, to make Zangoose and Snorlax's ability more useful (add a resistance to the type in addition to the immunity to the status). The Poison typing is too weak as it stands right now.

PAPER TYPE! ORIGAMI POKEMON FTW! Nah... just kidding.

Top Bottom