• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Orleans Monthly #1. [Meta Knight was banned.]

-Ran

Smash Master
1. Lee (Lucario)
2. Cyphus (DK)
3. Pierre (Lucas)
4. CJ (Snake)
5. Sudai (ROB)
5. 1221 (DK/ROB)
7. Nick (D3)
7. Cotton (Marth/Falco)
9. holychef (IC/D3)
9. Mankosuki (ROB)
9. DJ (Olimar)
9. Ran Iji (Snake)
13. Testament (Ness/C.Falcon/Yoshi)
13. FakeGeorge (G&W)
13. MuraRengan (Luigi)
13. Cloud520 (Lucario)
17. Ricky B. (Marth)
17. Chaddly (Snake)
17. BBO (Kirby)
17. Sev (??)
17. Roni (Ike/Falco)
17. John Wu (Lucario)
17. Battou (Marth/Lucario)
17. Dark (D3)
25. Matthew (Olimar)
25. Shyguy (Olimar?)
25. Mak (Luigi)
25. Nell (??)

http://www.gametabs.com/pages/events/bracket/bracket_table.php?id=60 for Bracket.

Special notes:
-John Wu was DQed after losing to Sudai due to not showing for his match in the Loser's. Evidently he left.
-In the Loser's bracket when CJ and DJ were going to fight 'again' I swapped my fight with Cotton to fight CJ. Cotton beat DJ, and CJ beat me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hypothesis: Meta Knight makes people perform better in tournaments than they should because he is a character that is so far beyond the rest of the cast that he allows worse players to win.

Experiment: Lee, a Meta Knight main who typically places first, enters a tournament where Meta Knight is banned.

Results: Lee places first with Lucario.

Conclusion: Lee is a strong player, and he happens to main Meta Knight. This conclusion does not support the hypothesis.

These tournament results will be catalogued for further research.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Hey, look, same people won anyways.

You proved nothing.
I wonder what it's like to be so stupid

Hypothesis: Meta Knight makes people perform better in tournaments than they should because he is a character that is so far beyond the rest of the cast that he allows worse players to win.

Experiment: Lee, a Meta Knight main who typically places first, enters a tournament where Meta Knight is banned.

Conclusion: Lee is a strong player, and he happens to main Meta Knight. This conclusion does not support the hypothesis.

From what I understand, he plays a ton of Lucario and it is his secondary character. He is obviously familiar with him because he beat Azen's Lucario 2 games and forced Azen to go MK. Just another piece of data to add

Also, that character diversity is beautiful. It makes me cry!

-Ran

Smash Master

Pretty much. Lee picked up Lucario fully right after Hobo 11, and has played him NONSTOP since. He only used Meta Knight once in the Baton Rouge monthly that took place a few weeks before the New Orleans tournament. From my conversations with him, he feels that Lucario is much more fun to play with over MK, and the competitors all enjoyed having no Meta Knights to play against. Pierre did phenomenal. Everyone was blown away by him. He typically gets 'stage fright' and usually doesn't play to his level.

Full brackets can be found:
http://www.gametabs.com/pages/events/bracket/bracket_table.php?id=60

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I wonder what it's like to be so stupid
Why don't you tell me?

Stupid things you have said recently:
"Bum is inconsistent." (He placed 1st every tourny besides one.)
"Atlantic North only has scrubby MKs." (We probably have the BEST ones.)
"NinjaLink is inconsistent." (Playing at his worst, he takes 5th.)
"Inui only wins because of MK." (I won a lot and did well consistently before using MK and I have a lot of proof of that.)

I could go on when it comes to your vast ignorance.

From what I understand, he plays a ton of Lucario and it is his secondary character. He is obviously familiar with him because he beat Azen's Lucario 2 games and forced Azen to go MK. Just another piece of data to add
Azen beat M2K's MK in tourny recently. That's a bit of a hard counter to what you just said.

null55

Smash Master

Most people would look at this comment and automatically devalue the point of banning Meta Knight because your conclusion makes so much sense, but the major flaw here is that the hypothesis isn't necessary to allow worse players to win, but worse characters to win. We're looking for diversity in characters not player skill level (people who are bad at the game won't win consistently... period).

Top Bottom