• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New OOS Options on Platforms with Shielddropping

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
I think you can buffer the motion during shieldstun and drop through frame perfect every time. Testing will be done in the near future

EDIT: after testing I've discovered that you can
1. After the 4th frame of shield, or holding a trigger button while on the platform for 4 frames (ex. after L-canceling aerials or holding R after a laser or just after landing) you can drop through on the NEXT FRAME by having your control stick in a very specific spot about halfway between center and all the way down.
2. You can buffer it out of shieldstun. That means that you can be holding that specific position throughout all of hitstun and you will pass through on the frame you are out of hitstun.

This is crazy ****

Pi

Smash Hero
I think you can buffer the motion during shieldstun and drop through frame perfect every time. Testing will be done in the near future

1. After the 4th frame of shield, or holding a trigger button while on the platform for 4 frames (ex. after L-canceling aerials or holding R after a laser or just after landing) you can drop through on the NEXT FRAME by having your control stick in a very specific spot about halfway between center and all the way down.
2. You can buffer it out of shieldstun. That means that you can be holding that specific position throughout all of hitstun and you will pass through on the frame you are out of hitstun.

This is crazy ****
What
that sounds amazing

LLDL

Smash Hero
The Dash Drop duh.

Edit: nvm thats taken. the dan drop :>

Lovage

Smash Hero

This is crazy ****

WHAT

um that's potentially amazing, we'll see

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llq9Ef-1lyQ

I just added pc drop to the mix. Really only posting this to tell people not to be deterred, i learned this in 20 minutes, this was my first recording, i can do it 60% of the time, and most importantly, i main frickin luigi. yall can do this, cmon now.

:) ill maybe try to make a longer one with a few added things in a little.

Edit: Its nothing new, but its a little longer and demonstrates the point i was trying to make (whatever that was :) ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpAZ8K3EnO8

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i cant get the buffered shield drops down

are you supposed to time it or angle it a certain way?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master

This is crazy ****
Woah.

Woah.

Woaaaaaaaah.

dashdancedan is amazing.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
i cant get the buffered shield drops down

are you supposed to time it or angle it a certain way?
The angle is just above the angle required to sidestep. It helps if you do the normal movement for shielddropping so that you end up at that (control stick) position by the end of shieldstun. After you can shield drop consistently from a neutral standing position, you'll see where the stick needs to go and you can do the motion faster and faster as long as you stop at that angle or position.

It's like slightly above the 315/225 degree notch.

Pi

Smash Hero
Not so sure that 2nd one was shield dropping, he WD'd forward so he could have just dropped through

I'm still a bit fuzzy on this tech.
Run me through a step by step in this situation:

You are on a platform
Holding shield (no direction, just holding it)
Marth Utilts your shield, you are in shield hit stun, what do you do from here (in order to shield drop as fast as possible)? step by step
Also at what point can you release shield (I'm samus so can't hold shield and neutral A or grab)

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
Not so sure that 2nd one was shield dropping, he WD'd forward so he could have just dropped through

I'm still a bit fuzzy on this tech.
Run me through a step by step in this situation:

You are on a platform
Holding shield (no direction, just holding it)
Marth Utilts your shield, you are in shield hit stun, what do you do from here (in order to shield drop as fast as possible)? step by step
Also at what point can you release shield (I'm samus so can't hold shield and neutral A or grab)
Do the motion you usually do for shielddrop ending on the position that you would start your drop through when hitstun ends. Learning that motion with get you familiar with the position needed to shielddrop when hitstun ends.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Glad I caught this. Thanks for spreading this info.
I can't do it perfectly yet, but I'm getting better.
Thankfully, I have the debug menu to help me with frames.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
Man, are there any tricks to doing this? This is really really hard.:mad:
roll from center to about halfway down at varying speeds until you get it. Once you find a speed that works, then practice that, continually increasing your speed to the SAME POINT on the control stick when you stopped on the slower runs.

Too slow and you just move your shield, too fast and you sidestep.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
I was under the impression that you cannot "Isai drop" until you are in full run. So wouldn't it be more efficient to shield drop from a dash?

If this is the case, it would be a more precise way to space and drop down from a platform. It also stops all of your momentum giving you more control over your DI.

I would only "Isai Drop" if I wanted to keep more momentum, which, IMO, seems more risky.
situational

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you mean shai drop, not isai drop

isai drop is when you're walking and you cannot "isai drop" from running animation

shai drop is the running shield drop although i might start calling it the zhu drop

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up.

is shai a smasher or just the name, and why zhu drop? whats wrong with love drop lol <3Drop

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Why is is that there are ocassions where when I try this Yoshi, that even though I don't press the shield button, Yoshi will dive toward the end of the initial dash animation when I hold downwards like a quarter-circle forward down?
I can't seem to reproduce this with the other characters. :/
I looked through the frames and it DOES say PASS.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Gotta perfect this before No johns tommorow LOL

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i dont like any of those names for shai drop

running shield drop is my fav
<3drop lol. I think shai drop sounds cool, but its a dashing shield drop. soooo.... as long as you can do it I guess.
I thought I typed shai, didn't I?
You did, it was my mistake. I didnt know that running shield dropped had a name other than running shield drop. I just kinda assumed you were saying to do a running shield drop or an isai drop because they are easier to do.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Is anyone trying to do stuff out of shield pressure
I think ppl get shield pressured(nair shines or similar) on platforms alot less often. but as marth or something shielding and falling thru with an upair would be beast. I can Shai drop consistently but Im pretty bad oos for somethings. Im pretty sure ill sidestep and get punished. But ill practice tho.

Top Bottom