• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Olimar Match-up Thread - Preventing Extinction

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Ryker says for approximately the first 1/3 of phantasm, he is completely invincible. No damage, no knocking him out of it.

I tried to ask if nair beats it, in case he would know, but the call dropped. I think it's meant to be that we never know.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Nair works. I've always had problems punishing the first 1/3 so I just stopped

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
All of our air moves can beat phantasm, as long as you don't try to hit him out of his invincibility.

:phone:

Edit: I only tested our air moves but I am pretty sure every single move we have can knock him out of his side b.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Did you test with all pikmin?

I didn't pluck any whites or purples but I don't think olimars priority will change in the air unless it's the yellows disjointed disjoint.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
If the topic is falco right now then i guess this aint the place.

However I've been having trouble with the diddy kong MU and i gotta say I'm unfamiliar with how to fight him, so if there is a thread for disabling diddy please.. dont hesitate.

Dnyce

Smash Master
If you want to disable diddy, you might want to check out the brawl workshop in the general discussion forum.

Noa.

Smash Master
Diddy: Even
• Use the negromar costume to help mindgame the Diddy lol.
• PS the bananas, jump up and grab them, and throw them down.
• Be cautious with shielding because Diddy’s Side B goes through it.
• Focus on maintaining a distance and preventing Diddy from closing in on his bananas.
• Grounded pikmin toss and fsmash is the way to camp in this matchup. Only SHtoss when Diddy is pulling out bananas. Otherwise he can easily approach you if you are short hopping while camping. The fsmash will hit the bananas and prevent them from hitting you, unlike grab.
• Stop Diddy’s momentum. When Diddy is having difficulty, it is very arduous for Diddy to regain control of the match.
• Diddy's main KO moves are dsmash, a fresh bair, or a fresh fair. Dsmash will usually only land after you trip. Diddy tends to manage kills with bair or fair through edgeguarding. Try to stay alive as long as possible in this matchup with whistle to frustrate the Diddy. He can’t kill you very easily.
• Grab is Diddy’s main way to juggle olimar and keep him from landing offstage. Try to fair him or nair to the ground to punish his grab. Or right before you land UpB away from him.
• Diddy is easy to punish when he’s landing so make sure to juggle him well with throws, uair, and nair.
• Ban: Final Destination
• Counterpick: Delfino, Lylat

williamwsharp

Smash Cadet
Wassup guys william here, just wanted to inform anyone thats interested tomorrow Mew2king arrives to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to join us and participate in what is the biggest tourney in the country and probably in the carribean after VxG.

We'll be playing friendlies and finally going face to face (hopefully) in the big tournament.

Ill be saving matches and replays so you can watch later on. Wish me luck for i am the hope of DR xD

:)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Good luck, sir! Remember to get replays, if you can.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think you can simply usmash it OoS after it hits your shield. Just makes sure they hit the top of your shield so you don't get hit by the landing hitbox.

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
If hes high enough up you can up-air, but the tip of the key may kill the pickman before it hits if its at low life.
If he lands in front of you, you can grab him after shielding the knock-back he generate when he lands... or pivot if hes behind you.
If he lands directly on top of you, you can sweat spot a down smash.

The best G&Ws can cancel the Dair after it hitting your shield then Dair again. If this happens the safest thing IMO is to Spot dodge the second hit or tilt your shield up. Either way he will have lag when he hits the ground so you may punish.

Hb2

Smash Cadet
I think G&W can Up-B after hitting your shield with D-air, making it completely safe as long as you don't U-smash OOS. I could be wrong though. Best options I can think of are U-air, pivot grab or shielding and punishing his Up-B with your own.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
GW cannot upB when he dairs you unless he does it from a really high position with slowfalling so it ends right as it touches your shield. That move has a lot of landing lag and should be punished by characters like Olimar with ease.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, Up Smash OOS smashes GW's key attempts to shreds. If you don't know how to Up Smash OOS yet, let us know and we can give you the run down :) It's not too hard once you get the motion down, and it's a huge help in this matchup, as well as many others.

LzR, perhaps you overestimate Olimar's close range punishment options after a shield drop. Sure, Up Smash OOS flips just about everything around, but Hb2's pretty much right. If not an UpB, GW has enough quick moves with much more priority than the hilarious tools Olimar has at his disposal when at close range. Sans Up Smash OOS, haha.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah, but if Usmash is your only option in the situation then just use it, capitalize on GWs dair as much as you can, 99% of GWs abuse the hell out of that move and if you start punishing them out of it they'll freak out.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm all about some Usmash OOS abuse. Haha. It's the only way Olimar can consistently punish quite a bit of what GW has.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think Oli can quite easily punish pretty much everything we have with usmash. I think it's one of the reasons why we lose to Oli.

Top Bottom