• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Neutral B Ideas

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys so I picked up Ness a little while ago and noticed his Neutral B is absolutely terrible. Even if that move instaKOed it would still be unusable. I was want to hear some people's ideas of what a possible new Neutral B could be. Or if justify why he should have such a horrible special.

Boiko

:drshrug:
PK Flash isn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination and I personally net quite a few kills with it. It's great as an edge guarding tool, because it forces your opponent to avoid it in order to recover. It's also great for covering descents.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
I used to go to a weekly that had a Ness player who tried to do stuff with Neutral B to edge guard which never worked, you could either air dodge to grab ledge if you were close or use your jump to land the other side so you get launched back on stage. Not to mention that Ness has godlike off stage edge guarding with Fairs, Nairs, or rising Dairs. IMO Ness has a plethora of way better ways to edgeguard than trying to guess where someone will be in the Future where as he can use his other methods to cover more options and do them be reaction. The only purpose for this move is to edge guard which it isn't great at. but Ness excels at that anyways.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Maybe that Ness player was bad. You shouldn't use it if the opponent is close enough to air dodge to stage and make ledge. And if they're going to jump over it and "go back to stage" well, what if they're at 100%? That option is eliminated.

Ness has good edge guarding, yes, but being predictable by committing to the same off stage edge guards every stock is bad. Plus, sometimes you can't go deep enough to catch Samus bomb jumping. Say you know Ganondorf is going to down b, put the Flash where he'll end up. It's simple.

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
Whaaaa.
PK Flash is insanely good in PM. Of course it's not a free edgeguarding tool. If it was any better than it is now, that would just be too much. It's great for forcing situations and for long range spacing. How is someone going to punish the lag if there's a giant hitbox surrounding/in front of you? You don't need to aim at your enemy; aim to reduce their recovery/movement options. It's bait and punish. If they get hasty, they'll fall in your trap.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
Whaaaa.
PK Flash is insanely good in PM. Of course it's not a free edgeguarding tool. If it was any better than it is now, that would just be too much. It's great for forcing situations and for long range spacing. How is someone going to punish the lag if there's a giant hitbox surrounding/in front of you? You don't need to aim at your enemy; aim to reduce their recovery/movement options. It's bait and punish. If they get hasty, they'll fall in your trap.
You guys should send me videos or something because it sounds like you have to rely on your opponent not knowing the match up. Maybe it is just the safe onstage edge guarding for Ness which I never do. Going off stage has such a high reward compared to just knocking them back off of just percent. I'd like to think that I am decent at edge guarding and more often than not get a kill from doing off stage edgegaurding, you guys should try it more often.

PS. I noticed you are from boulder which is pretty cool. I live in Lafayette so I live fairly close. Do you have netplay, because the ping would be great.

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
You guys should send me videos or something because it sounds like you have to rely on your opponent not knowing the match up. Maybe it is just the safe onstage edge guarding for Ness which I never do. Going off stage has such a high reward compared to just knocking them back off of just percent. I'd like to think that I am decent at edge guarding and more often than not get a kill from doing off stage edgegaurding, you guys should try it more often.

PS. I noticed you are from boulder which is pretty cool. I live in Lafayette so I live fairly close. Do you have netplay, because the ping would be great.
Dude! You're in CO?? That's pretty neat. I actually do not have netplay, but if you're ever around you gotta hmu. Do you ever go to wavedash Wednesdays in Aurora?

Also, PK Flash is just a mixup. I use is scarcely but effectively, and I don't imagine there's too many good ways to centralize it in your gameplay. Whether your opponent knows the matchup or not, you can definitely force your will on your opponent with it in a lot of situations. If you're fighting a hasty player, it can be an effective tool. It's certainly more useful than the melee iteration, 3x faster just about.

And off ledge edgeguarding? sonnnnnn you're talking to the master XD

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
Dude! You're in CO?? That's pretty neat. I actually do not have netplay, but if you're ever around you gotta hmu. Do you ever go to wavedash Wednesdays in Aurora?

Also, PK Flash is just a mixup. I use is scarcely but effectively, and I don't imagine there's too many good ways to centralize it in your gameplay. Whether your opponent knows the matchup or not, you can definitely force your will on your opponent with it in a lot of situations. If you're fighting a hasty player, it can be an effective tool. It's certainly more useful than the melee iteration, 3x faster just about.

I have not heard of wavedash wednesdays, but I will look into it. I'd love to do some friendlies. I try to use PK Flash and see what I get out of it.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman

Alright, so I just went to wavedash Wednesdays, holy **** that fun. I didn't do so hot in the tourney, but I had so many good friendlies learned a ton. Thanks for telling me about it.

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
Alright, so I just went to wavedash Wednesdays, holy **** that fun. I didn't do so hot in the tourney, but I had so many good friendlies learned a ton. Thanks for telling me about it.
duude WHY DIDN'T YOU HIT ME UP. I was there killin it w/ ness lol tag was x420x

Last edited:

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
**** really? Well I am for sure coming back next week. I go by the tag Lab Rat there because it is a little shorter. I need to get used to the timing difference with the analog TVs because I am used to digital.

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
**** really? Well I am for sure coming back next week. I go by the tag Lab Rat there because it is a little shorter. I need to get used to the timing difference with the analog TVs because I am used to digital.
Oi, hit me up when you're there and we'll ness ditto

Top Bottom