• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New MK Player, how should I tackle neutral?

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Get good at dash dancing really well so that you can punish them going in with grabs, pretty much like Marth. That's one of the more important things as MK.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
l'm pretty new to MK myself, but l feel like dtilt is a good option it you're sick of getting amazing follow-ups out of DD grabs.

But in all seriousness, l like dtilt. The base of the blade launches up for aerials like Roy and knocks people away at the tip, like Marth.

Not much else l can say.

bassoon titanium

Smash Rookie
how do i dtilt while im moving in neutral? are there any other good options besides wavedashing out of dashdance or run?

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
l'm pretty sure you use it to poke at people and threaten space.

Isn't that the definition of the neutral game in a nutshell?

l'm sure your dtilt comes in handy out of WD, which (as you stated) can be done out of DD.

bassoon titanium

Smash Rookie
l'm pretty sure you use it to poke at people and threaten space.

Isn't that the definition of the neutral game in a nutshell?

l'm sure your dtilt comes in handy out of WD, which (as you stated) can be done out of DD.
Thank you. Do you think WD dtilt a reliable option even given the 10 or so frames of endlag that occur out of WD or is dash-dance a better option given that?

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
l honestly can't say for certain. l haven't played enough PM to be able to answer that. Just go on Anther's Ladder and play some matches. That's the best advice l have for you.

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
Heres what I do:
Run-cancelled d-tilt is really good at controlling space with the sour hit or setting up combos with the inner hit. It comes out fairly quickly so you get a pretty good advantage despite having only doing 5%~ damage with the sour spot. But I think you need them to have at least some damage for it to be genuinely useful. WD d-tilt I don't find to be good since MK's WD sucks and his short dash lets him to run-cancelled d-tilt at medium lengths. At short lengths, your enemy is probably going to be approaching you so WD d-tilt doesn't make too much sense. d-tilt in place can be ok to deny a run-up grab.
DD grab is a basic fundamental option. Metaknight's dash length might be really short, but his foxtrot is actually really good.
I've been experimenting using f-tilt as an anti-approach option against certain characters, notably those who use shffl to approach (like spacies, falcon, etc). Resets to neutral at lower percents, but gets them in the air at higher percents which is great.
If you're an MK who likes to take to the air/using platforms, a spaced bair can be pretty good against certain characters. Also can be good on retreat.
Against projectiles, try to abuse your jumps/platforms. Your sword can't clank with projectiles. I like to come down with bair, but dair can work in some situations. Just make sure you don't come down on a crouch-cancelling peach with a dair though. You'll take 20-40% usually.
I'm not a fan of it (I like to play more defensive), but nair approaches are really good and your go-to offensive option. Try to overshoot your nair so it can't be shieldgrabbed when you land (kinda like pikachu). You have nothing to cover your landing with.
RAR bair is niche
DACUS is greedy and can work against someone spaming DD from a distance.

RECAP:
Main options: D-tilt (safe), nair (aggressive), f-tilt (defensive), DD grab (defensive), spaced bair (aggressive), DACUS (janky)

bassoon titanium

Smash Rookie
Heres what I do:
Run-cancelled d-tilt is really good at controlling space with the sour hit or setting up combos with the inner hit. It comes out fairly quickly so you get a pretty good advantage despite having only doing 5%~ damage with the sour spot. But I think you need them to have at least some damage for it to be genuinely useful. WD d-tilt I don't find to be good since MK's WD sucks and his short dash lets him to run-cancelled d-tilt at medium lengths. At short lengths, your enemy is probably going to be approaching you so WD d-tilt doesn't make too much sense. d-tilt in place can be ok to deny a run-up grab.
DD grab is a basic fundamental option. Metaknight's dash length might be really short, but his foxtrot is actually really good.
I've been experimenting using f-tilt as an anti-approach option against certain characters, notably those who use shffl to approach (like spacies, falcon, etc). Resets to neutral at lower percents, but gets them in the air at higher percents which is great.
If you're an MK who likes to take to the air/using platforms, a spaced bair can be pretty good against certain characters. Also can be good on retreat.
Against projectiles, try to abuse your jumps/platforms. Your sword can't clank with projectiles. I like to come down with bair, but dair can work in some situations. Just make sure you don't come down on a crouch-cancelling peach with a dair though. You'll take 20-40% usually.
I'm not a fan of it (I like to play more defensive), but nair approaches are really good and your go-to offensive option. Try to overshoot your nair so it can't be shieldgrabbed when you land (kinda like pikachu). You have nothing to cover your landing with.
RAR bair is niche
DACUS is greedy and can work against someone spaming DD from a distance.

RECAP:
Main options: D-tilt (safe), nair (aggressive), f-tilt (defensive), DD grab (defensive), spaced bair (aggressive), DACUS (janky)
How do i run a cancelled attack? Is that the same as when i crouch when my character is running and then just do move or is it something different? Also thank you for the all the other material as well. For anti-air ftilt do you find that it's best to do the full sequence or just the first attack?

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
How do i run a cancelled attack? Is that the same as when i crouch when my character is running and then just do move or is it something different? Also thank you for the all the other material as well. For anti-air ftilt do you find that it's best to do the full sequence or just the first attack?
yeah, just hold down when you're running to cancel it into a crouch and then you can do any other move out of it, specifically a d-tilt. Don't press down and a too fast or you might d-smash.

As for how many f-tilts you use, its situational, but I find going for all 3 works best, and mixing up the timing of each slash and how many you do is only good as a mixup. If you only ever do 1 to ground them and go for a grab, your opponent might catch on an buffer a spotdodge or try throwing out their own moves. Note that his f-tilt can be SDI'd along with his f-air and up-smash, so keep an eye out for how good your opponent is at escaping it and adjust accordingly.

bassoon titanium

Smash Rookie
yeah, just hold down when you're running to cancel it into a crouch and then you can do any other move out of it, specifically a d-tilt. Don't press down and a too fast or you might d-smash.

As for how many f-tilts you use, its situational, but I find going for all 3 works best, and mixing up the timing of each slash and how many you do is only good as a mixup. If you only ever do 1 to ground them and go for a grab, your opponent might catch on an buffer a spotdodge or try throwing out their own moves. Note that his f-tilt can be SDI'd along with his f-air and up-smash, so keep an eye out for how good your opponent is at escaping it and adjust accordingly.
Great thank you so much

Faust the Lich

Smash Cadet
Great thank you so much
No problem, best of luck out there. I might have under-exaggerated the power of nair though. Its a great approach tool. Try to overshoot it (like how axe overshoots his nairs with pikachu) so you don't get shieldgrabbed. And also be very careful of crouch cancelling. It beats pretty much MK has at low percent (biggest reason why the samus MU is so hard).

Top Bottom