• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
MK character Icon next to your name for the lulz?

Also, signups start at noon, so get there around then.

I won't be at the UNM tourney till about 12:45ish. I have class at CNM until 11:40.
Hm? I thought I had a Marth avatar up. >_>

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
****it Andy, I told you using a picture of yourself for your avatar was a bad idea!

Me, Kendric, possibly Destry and Beau will be at Nickel City arcade again later, probably around 7.

Anybody who wants to join us in our conquest of Gauntlet Legends and/or get destroyed in baby olympics, hit me up. There'll also be BB/smash/whatever else afterward.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
But yeah, as Nolan said earlier, just make MK soft banned among scene veterans.
I'm actually against, just because last time we attempted this, it quickly turned to "if your chips are down, use MK"...which almost everyone, vets and non-vets, did(and was the sole reason JT and I didn't claim 1st). If everyone can not be gay about it, then cool. Otherwise, ban-there's no reason to have him.

C'mon Johnsville! do it!! unban mk and maybe i'll be able to respect you and give the "johns state" title to someone else :3
To be honest, I don't think anyone really cares what you call us. Not to mention, you lost that right when you got 3-0'd in MM and NM took first at that tourney.

On that note, the word "johns" sure does get tosssed around liberally. It's not a john if it's true, just saying.

Hm? I thought I had a Marth avatar up. >_>
It's MK, lulz. And WELCOME!

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
LOL what's with all the gkirbz hate? He's just trying to get you to un cripple your scene. In reality, that's all your ban is doing... It may make tourneys a little more enjoyable, but when you go OoS or anything, you have no experience against the #1 used character in the game.

And unless it's a top level MK, MK really isn't bad to fight against anyways.

So I think you guys should un ban MK :D

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
andy, man, you might want to go see doctor. i heard side affects of ****** include stds, pregancy, seeing text in mauve (or whatever the hell that color is), and thinking you were born in 1969 :I

lol looks like i got *****.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Well playing against MK is mainly about knowing the match-up and how to play against him.

I played against Dojo (top 3 MKs in the nation, top 2 imo), and went even/was winning in the last round, and then got gimped due to my terrible DI on a dsmash (or something like that, I had bad DI and he was clutch as ****, so I died ><)

Yet we've had MK banned forever. We do MK friendlies with each other all the time, and I can assure you that we are trying our ***** off, even in friendlies, as we want to improve.

The only thing that taking the ban off would do good for our scene is to eliminate the strife. Even if we were to alternate between ban/unban at tourneys, it would at least give some others who have a differing opinion on the ban a shot at playing in tourneys where they agree with the ruleset.

If only the character weren't busted as ****, or were unquestionably broken! Then we wouldn't have a problem in the first place :p

tekkie

Smash Master
pretty much this. i don't care if it's a random scrub because if some random dweeb somehow beats me w/MK then either a) i can beat him with a counterpick or b) he deserved it anyways.

oh and the gkirbz hate is probably because he's an arrogant dong (<3, but you're arrogant as hell). i personally don't care because i'm zen as **** and i'll still smile even if he gets all agitated when new mexico mindgames him during a silly-as-**** tournament match.

I got *****.
chocobo <3.

edit: i stand by my statement.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
LOL MK isn't broken.

And Dekar, you're probably the only one in NM who has real MK experience... We kind of realized that when Sinz fought Yaz for the first time XD (And friendlies against your MK don't count :p )

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
Since this is my first tournament...how long do tournaments usually last? I know it's dependant on how many participants there are, but is there a general estimate?

Edit: Changed my icon to Marth, lol.

Dekar173

Justice Man
The tourney will probably end around 9ish :O

Tourneys take a while, as people like to **** around and not report their results T.T

Everyone remember- the INSTANT you finish, report! Don't want any repeats of Hobo going on in NM...

@Kenny- Goyf was rocking DSF's world at Genesis ;P He's got MK experience :D

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Okay, so that's two people out of your state with MK experience. I'm not saying it's impossible to not have MK experience when in a MK banned area, I'm just saying your entire scene overall would be better prepared if he wasn't banned. 2 people out of an entire state doesn't really count for you having MK experience when pretty much every player in other regions has that exp.

You guys should come to a Utah tourney :D

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
The tourney will probably end around 9ish :O

Tourneys take a while, as people like to **** around and not report their results T.T

Everyone remember- the INSTANT you finish, report! Don't want any repeats of Hobo going on in NM...

@Kenny- Goyf was rocking DSF's world at Genesis ;P He's got MK experience :D
9-ish? Holy crap. That's long. Of course, I could probably leave early if I lose.
Speaking of, there's usually a losers' bracket that people have to go through, isn't there?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
9-ish? Holy crap. That's long. Of course, I could probably leave early if I lose.
Speaking of, there's usually a losers' bracket that people have to go through, isn't there?
Its worth it man. :)

Yeah there is a losers bracket.

tekkie

Smash Master
they're pretty much all day things. like, people will be there until forever.

and yeah it's double elim. single elim would suck.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
LOL what's with all the gkirbz hate? He's just trying to get you to un cripple your scene. In reality, that's all your ban is doing... It may make tourneys a little more enjoyable, but when you go OoS or anything, you have no experience against the #1 used character in the game.

So I think you guys should un ban MK :D
It's not crippled, it's better. There would be no point in allowing MK-THAT would cripple the scene and just turn it into boring, broken hell. All of us are pretty much on the same skill level, so having the MK advantage pretty much breaks the scene. Especially characters like mine (Pit) who just don't have a chance if I were to go against an "evenly matched" (i hate that phrase) MK. There is no "knowing" the match up at that point, since there's nothing that can be done to make it better.

Experience is a moot point in the MK case-you could learn and study the pros and cons of, say, Snake or Marth, learn which of their moves can be punished, how to gimp them, how to bait them, etc. practise against them, and improve your chances. This really isn't true with MK, since he has so few cons to exploit. And a MK doesn't have to lose if he wants to, simply by playing "gay" (or doing some BS like air camping the clock *cough Dojo Cough*).

And friendlies suffice, and we've got some people that know how to use MK well enough to get practise. It shows when we continually have people place well in OoS. It'd be better if the community wasn't in such a sorrid stae to allow this uneven character to continue.

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
As for the Meta Knight debate...since I personally dislike him, I'd say we go for a softban on him. I just hate how he's quite better than the rest of the cast.

This is especially if all I see is Meta Knight. >_>

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It's not crippled, it's better. There would be no point in allowing MK-THAT would cripple the scene and just turn it into boring, broken hell. All of us are pretty much on the same skill level, so having the MK advantage pretty much breaks the scene. Especially characters like mine (Pit) who just don't have a chance if I were to go against an "evenly matched" (i hate that phrase) MK. There is no "knowing" the match up at that point, since there's nothing that can be done to make it better.

Experience is a moot point in the MK case-you could learn and study the pros and cons of, say, Snake or Marth, learn which of their moves can be punished, how to gimp them, how to bait them, etc. practise against them, and improve your chances. This really isn't true with MK, since he has so few cons to exploit. And a MK doesn't have to lose if he wants to, simply by playing "gay" (or doing some BS like air camping the clock *cough Dojo Cough*).

And friendlies suffice, and we've got some people that know how to use MK well enough to get practise. It shows when we continually have people place well in OoS. It'd be better if the community wasn't in such a sorrid stae to allow this uneven character to continue.
Haha so it's crippled Utah's scene? Guess how many MKs Utah has? One. People try to pick him up and realize that they get ***** if they don't put a TON of work into it. MK isn't just some character you can pick up and win with. Just ask Dekar about how his MK did ;)

And in the case of specific matchups, I could use that same exact logic to be like "marth makes ness unplayable and absolutely no fun. If it's an evenly matched marth, the ness stands no chance. BAN MARTH." That's not a valid reason to ban a character. It's just a john. Either you learn the matchup to perfection and win with that character, or you pick up a different character for that matchup.

I agree that MK is slightly better than every character in the game. That doesn't mean he should be banned though.

Arms

Smash Rookie
ill be there tomorrow! i got no school tomorrow, so ill be at nolans to introduce patrick to the great world of tvc and practice some teams with matt :3

no movies for me, im a tad broke right now :p
I'll be there, but later... unless someone knows a place I can park early without being towed..

INB4 EINSTIENS

*Tw!st3r*

Smash Rookie
Patrick I can drive you down there at 2 I always park at the dorms and I never get towed or get a ticket. Maybe because they see my parking pass for south lot and just don't care or something.

The only problem is I have work early tomorrow at 4:30 :(
you would have to find a ride back later or leave with me like at 4 o'clock =o

Top Bottom