New Member Application Discussion

surri might not like it, but ill go ahead and say that nintendude1189 is likely in (stellar app), while boom has still got some other people to judge
Nintendude is definitely a tough player. He consistently beats me if I'm off my game. If an application wasn't part of the process (i.e. if was just based on our own experiences with the person), I would let him in, which might be saying something considering how much I've voiced my view that the BR shouldn't be much larger. :)

ANYWAY

The 4 new members

Nintendude1189
th3kuzinator
Mahie
firo

And the new backroom deity

SmasherLink

SilentSlayers got enough votes for me to consider letting him in, but there was some IRL stuff that made us put the decision on hold. As such, he is still in hiatus.

I'm still irked nobody responded to my opinion on that exact matter as well, but if the members wish to post their personal apps, that's fine by me.

I'll ensure that we come to some sort of decision about backroom members at least viewing prospective apps.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I'll post mine, I don't mind at all.
[Collapse= My Application]
Smashboards Username

Mahie.

France.

Character Main

Fox.

Secondaries

Most of the cast, mainly Falcon and Puff.

What history do you have playing Super Smash Bros.?

I got into the series with the original 64 installment in 2000. I was just having fun playing casually for countless hours, items set on very high and feeling proud when beating Lv9 computers.
When Melee came out, it was the same amazement all over again, and I think I've spent at least a thousand hours playing the game with my friends, considering myself a good
player for beating them effortlessly, until in late 2007, I stumbled upon the advanced how to play, and realized I knew next to nothing about the game.
I attended my first tournament in early 2008 ( ESA2, in Paris, the biggest European tournament to date, with 256 players), and of course I got my *** handed to me. Having only one person to practice with in my area, I knew I needed something else to improve. That's how I set my eyes on SSB64 online, at first only to get better at Melee, but after a while I'd just want to play SSB64 for the sake of playing it, and I wanted to get better at it too.
Since then I've just tried to play it whenever I have some free time online, and with the other Europeans we created a group to help develop and strengthen the community, having more than 200 members now.

What level of player do you consider yourself? How do you compare to the community at large?Do you have any results (if you do have results, links would be appreciated) or personal recommendations from other SWF members to back up that claim?

Although I'm not satisfied with my level, I do believe I'm a good player, being one of the top European players. I'm not completely sure how I compare to the American level, but I do consider having good odds against most of the top players. (With the exception of monsters like Malva or Boom)

Which aspect of SSB64 do you have confidence with? Do you specialize yourself in knowing select characters? Do you have considerable knowledge about 64's physics engine?Maybe you are good at devising training mode combos. Please elaborate on what you think you specialize in.

Let's start with the combos , since it's the easiest part to elaborate : I've never entered the training mode in SSB64. Whenever I play the game, it's solely for the versus, being the only thing I find exciting in the game. I therefore try to get as good as I can in that aspect, and for that I guess I do like everyone else : I play a lot and try to spot and correct as many of my mistakes as I can. I do specialize myself in knowing a few characters, although I try to play them all, and those would be Fox, Falcon, and Jiggly-puff, as said above. I also really try to adapt to my opponent, rather than having my own set style, focusing on spotting errors and reacting as fast as I can to them, and then just keep on abusing them until they change their tactics, and so on until the game is over and I won. It's obviously not that simple in game, but at least that's what I tell myself to do when I want to win.

How often do you attend console/online tournaments? Specify between Console/Online.

Well sadly, there are no Console 64 tournaments in Europe, for a very simple reason : the lack of set-ups. Rare are those who own an NTSC 64 with the NTSC version of SSB64, and no one really wants to play the PAL 50Hz version, or so it seems. It seems likely though that in the future Melee events, such as B.E.A.S.T.2 this summer in Sweden, SSB64 gets its side-event, and I'll try my best to attend those. If that's relevant, I do attend Melee/Brawl tournaments whenever I get the chance to.
As for Online tournaments, the same problem exists : European tournaments are non existent. There was one in 2008, and there is one ongoing now, and I did play in both ( and as of today I'm still playing in the ongoing one). Granted, it's up to us to step up and organize them, and thanks to King Funk for that (I know he'll be reading this eventually) and hopefully his effort will lead to a series.
I've also played in a couple American tournaments but high delay and incompatible timezones do not help at all. Most tournaments nowadays are NA only anyway.

Are you a TO yourself? If so, how successful are your tournaments? Again, please specify whether the tournament was console or online.

There are Brawl monthlies in my town, and whenever I attend I usually help the organizers, and even make my own side-events, such as Melee or P:M, so I have some experience in yelling at people for playing friendlies instead of their matches while all you do is sit in front of T.I.O and wait for the results to come in. Most of those monthlies have around 16 entrants for Brawl, and about the same for whatever other event we decide to do.

Have you made topics, posts or videos that benefit the community as a whole? Please indicate relevant contributions with links

There must be a few posts scattered over the boards that could be considered “benefiting the community”, but overall I don't think I really did something like that on Smashboards. I don't visit the boards too often anyway, I only go there when the subjects discussed are interesting ( ie. The discussion about the Backroom or Boomfan's thread about Hyrule) and such threads are found mainly in the BR, which is one of the reasons for which I want to join.

What opinions do you have on the current published tier list and ruleset? All insightful responses are welcome, and extended responses will be read and considered. Show off your ability to be consise and persuasive.

The thing I really don't agree with is Fox and Pikachu being in the same tiers, and Kirby being in Falcon and Mario's tiers. In my opinion the higher part of the tier list should look like that :

SS Tier :
Pikachu

S Tier :
Fox
Kirby

A Tier
Falcon
Mario

The actual tier list would be something closer to the Hyrule tier list than to the SSB64 tier list, especially given the current ruleset.
Fox is not quite as dangerous on DreamLand as he can be on Hyrule, where he can certainly get close to being as good as Pikachu (in Pika's tier) , but still not as good. He can still get gimped badly on Hyrule, and in the end facing a Fox is usually a matter of being more patient than he is, avoiding the camping and high priority, and getting one devastating combo, usually taking a stock in one go.
Pikachu is the same, you have to avoid his high priority moves, pay a lot of attention when you approach him near the edge, and then try to somehow hurt him but you just can't kill him the way you can kill Fox. And if you mess up, you're way more likely to die right away than if facing Fox.
As for Kirby being better than Falcon or Mario, it's once again the new stagelist that makes me say that. Kirby is just really good on DreamLand, and he does good on Kongo too, he just can be camped easily on Hyrule, having such a slow horizontal movement speed, but he can avoid having to play there by striking it right away.

Which leads to us to the current stage list. I agree with the choice of 3 starters and stage striking entirely, it helps avoiding the really broken match-ups ( Fox Samus on Hyrule for instance) and thus makes the tournament much more entertaining and competitive.
One thing, however, although near impossible to enforce, is the time limit rule. When a best of 5 set takes 36 minutes with the last round being 11 minutes, it just makes you want to create such a rule. Yes, camping and really defensive gameplay IS legit, but it's not really entertaining, and I'm not sure this is what people want the game to become, but this is only a matter of personal opinion and it's not based on any competitive-based argument. It's something I believe should somehow be limited, but at the same time I can't think of how to make it possible.

What do you plan to bring to the SSB64 Backroom that others may not be able to offer?

In-depth knowledge of the actual tournament based metagame at a high level on most match-ups and topics, through the eye of a different community (Europe).
Is there anything else you would like us to take into account for your selection? Please show your initiative and willingness to be an active member to the backroom.

I have to admit I'm not too active on the 64 boards, although I do check them almost everyday, but as I said earlier the kind of discussion that actually makes me post is what is found in the Backroom, so it's a given that I'd be much more active in it.
I've been interested in joining since the very beginning (when the idea was just being presented and starting to be discussed) but sadly, ever since I moved, back in November, I've experienced internet issues ( a lot of bad luck, actually) which made me unable to enter the first round of admissions. Now, though, I'm back to having a decent connection even though I've been having issues again in the last few days, it should all be back to normal soon enough, and for good this time around.
I don't think I have anything to add so I'll let the Backroom judge whether I fit the job or not.

[/Collapse]

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
[collapse=My Application]
Smashboards Username: th3kuzinator
Alias on Kaillera Servers: th3kuzinator
Character Mains: Yoshi & Fox (Very knowledgeable about both characters)
Secondary Characters: DK, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Mario, Pikachu, Ness

Quote:
What sort of history do you have playing the Super Smash Brothers series?
I have been playing Super Smash Bros. 64 since it first came out on the n64. At that time, however, I was young and never tried to get into the competitive side of the game. I played SSB:M for a while as well, but never played the game on a competitive level either.

During the fall of 2009, I picked ssb64 back up with my friends on an emulator and played offline with them for about most of the fall/winter. Although I was always the best of my friends, as my attraction to the game grew, I constantly went searching for new ways to improve. At the time, I did not know about SWF or Mevsec’s videos so it was some time before I was able to improve my game any further.

By November of that year, I had the concept of most of the advanced techniques down, but could not do any of them proficiently yet. From that time, I played ssb64 non-stop and rapidly improved by game with my friends offline. In March of ‘10, I stumbled upon SWF and thus learned about the online component of smash. I have been playing on Kaillera ever since and have drastically improved my skill level to such a point that I feel I may be one of the best keyboard users online.

Upon reflecting back, I am very satisfied with my rapid Super Smash Bros. improvement and definitely feel I am dedicated to the game.

Quote:
What level of player do you consider yourself? How do you compare to the community at large? Do you have any results (if you do have results, links would be appreciated) or personal recommendations to back up that claim?
In terms of the North American tier list, I would say I am high b-tier. Regarding the community at large, I am one of the better players on galaxy and would probably rank myself somewhere between 10-15th best online. As for recommendations, you can certainly ask anyone on Kaillera, as I have become somewhat of a regular. I have pretty much played everyone currently in the Backroom as well as two of the leaders (Surri and Boomfan) so you can ask any of them to attest to my skill level

Here are the results of a tournament I hosted and participated in a while back during the summer (take not that I have improved drastically since then).

http://challonge.com/images/brackets/ssbtourney.png

http://challonge.com/tournament/show...multiplier=1.0

Quote:
Which aspect of SSB64 do you specialize in? Do you specialize yourself in knowing select characters? Do you have considerable knowledge about 64's physics engine? Maybe you are good at devising training mode combos. Please elaborate on what you think you specialize in.
If I had to categorize myself as anything, I would definitely call myself a technical player. I take a character, watch some advanced videos of that character and then practice those specific advanced aspects in training mode for hours on end. It is for this reason I know a lot of about a range of characters, especially ones that are more technical than others (Yoshi, Fox, Ness (the former two being my mains)). I definitely know more about every character than the average player and am extremely in depth with over half the cast.

As a result of this, I am fairly familiar with the ssb64 physics engine and I know most of the tricks and quirks that come along with it. Because I spend so much time in training mode, I have become pretty good at devising new training combos as well. I definitely feel I am better at training techniques rather than creating combos, however (for example, I can drop cancel pretty well, use Mario and Luigi’s 3rd directional upB, platform drop Uair chains with DK (very difficult on keys)).

This said, I still feel I am proficient at training mode combos. Two of them are linked below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNZGm...el_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZz8j...el_video_title

Quote:
How often do you attend console/online tournaments? Specify between console/online.
I attend online tournaments often, almost every tournament made by myself or another person. I also participated in Surri’s “Ranked Tournament and “The Series.” I have not been attending current tournaments due to my availability and computer issues, but those are both fixed now and I plan to participate in the next one hosted.

As I am a keyboard player, I do not attend console tournaments.

Quote:
Are you a Tournament Host yourself? If so, how successful are your tournaments? Again, please specify whether the tournament was console or online.
Yes I am a tournament host. I host all online tournaments, and currently have one still going called “Green Malaise.” I advertise the tournaments often in galaxy and usually have very good turnouts. I am the unofficial NA tournament organizer for our section and Surri stickies my tournament threads. Thought I have temporarily stopped making new tourneys due to lack of turnout during the school year, I will be ready to start making them again come summer.

[/QUOTE] Have you made topics, posts, or videos that benefit the community as a whole? Please indicate relevant contributions with links. [/QUOTE]I have made many good contributions to the smash64 community and feel that I have a lot of in-depth character knowledge.

In this thread I rank characters based on specific aspects within smash. Throughout the entire thread I make lengthy posts detailing my stance on specific decisions and reasons why.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290406

I also have made a Fox guide that currently holds the OP in the Fox Smash 64 Character Specific Discussion. I put loads of time and effort into the guide and the link is below.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288187

Here is a post I made on teleport, which I feel sums up the techniques very nicely.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....&postcount=119

There are plenty of other places I have contributed to, but I do not want to go hunting for every legitimate post I made.

Here is a thread I made to garner opinions on the GameShark stages.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292922

Quote:
What opinions do you have on the current published tier list and ruleset? All insightful responses are welcome, and extended responses will be read and considered. Show off your ability to be concise and persuasive.
I talk in length about many of the character’s attributes in this thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290406

Personally, I would keep the tier list as it is because I find it’s ranking highly accurate. I would perhaps consider either moving Mario down a tier or moving Yoshi up a tier, as I feel both candidates don’t quite fit perfectly well with the surrounding ones, but all characters should retain their current number slot. I would also argue that, although a Luigi/Link switch is certainly debatable, I would keep Luigi in the lead as I feel he fares well against a larger majority of the case than Link does.

My comments on the recommended rule set can be found

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....1&postcount=17

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....7&postcount=18

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....2&postcount=20

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....8&postcount=41

and my thoughts on the DK cargo hold

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....&postcount=146

As for the GameShark stages,

-Battlefield should not be allowed due to the platforms being at heights incompatible with autocanceled running or standing Short Hops. It’s ledges also screw up and sort of DI, which make the entire game, more of an edgeguarding match rather than straight up play.

-Both beta stages should not be allowed for the grabable platforms and other oddities, which would obviously detract from fair play.

-The Metal Mario stage should not be allowed simply due to its size and lack of maneuverability.

-The Tutorial Stage should not be allowed due to the quirky camera zoom on both sides which my unfairly hinder recovery and the ridiculously close vertical blast-lines which give an unfair advantage to characters with strong special moves.

-Final destination, thought a little small, should be allowed as a playable stage if the stars are removed and it became easier to play on. It has no unfair advantages and it simple a flat playing field on which to fight on. The only thing inherently wrong with this stage is its overall difficulty to access and its complete incompatibility with some computers. If this could be fixed, Final Destination should be a neutral.

Quote:
What do you plan to bring to the SSB64 Backroom that others may not be able to offer? Please elaborate, and, if possible, offer ideas.
I think the backroom could use someone who is very knowledgeable about the game’s mechanics and is very good at the game. Besides my validity at smash, I am very familiar with how forums work and frequent SWF often. I post in many other places on SWF, not just and 64 section, and really feel I could get behind devoting large chunks of time in to improving the smash64 community. I am also not adverse to the idea of writing large amounts info for guides or character discussion.

I think we could use the aforementioned categorized tier list thread as a template to release some legitimate sub-aspect tier lists. I feel we could really change other people’s (especially those from other smash sections) outlook on the game.

Quote:
Is there anything else you would like us to take into account for your selection? Please show your initiative and willingness to be an active, contributing member to the backroom
I think I summed up my dedication to SWF and the BRoom in my other responses. If it was not already obvious, I am a keyboard user therefore could bring that aspect to the BRoom table. I obviously have a different learning curve due to the way I learned and improved at smash and I really feel I would be an important, intelligent individual to have in the BRoom.

Although I have not been posting as much in the 64 section in the past months due to demanding coursework and computer issues, both problems have been fixed and I would be free and highly motivated to contribute to the 64 backroom, if admitted.

Thanks in advance for your consideration when reviewing my application!

With Gratitude,
-th3kuzinator[/collapse]

Nintendude

Smash Hero
In case people are curious:

[collapse=Nintendude's Application]Smashboards Username: Nintendude1189
Aliases on Kaillera servers: Nintendude1189
Location: Tristate (NYC metro area) / Upstate NY while at school
Character Main: Mario/Samus
Secondary Characters: Falcon, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Pika.... I can use all the characters at least fairly competently

What sort of history do you have playing the Super Smash Brothers series?

I started playing around when the game came out and was a scrub until around 2003 when I learned advanced techniques in Melee. I've progressed considerably since then, entering my first Melee tourney in 2006. I started playing SSB64 on kaillera in 2007 and learned high level SSB64 play almost entirely via online matches. I believe that my first SSB64 tournament was Smashtality 2 in 2007. I dabbled a bit with Brawl during the spring / summer of 2008 but have since stopped playing that game. I still play competitively in Melee and SSB64 to this day.

What level of player do you consider yourself? How do you compare to the community at large? Do you have any results (if you do have results, links would be appreciated) or personal recommendations from other SWF members to back up that claim?

I think I'm a solidly above average player, but still lose pretty consistently to people like malva, SuperBoomFan, and JaimeHR. Other than those people I can at least go even with everyone I face on kaillera. The only substantial SSB64 tournament I have entered recently was at Apex 2010, and I placed 2nd, losing to Sensei 3-1 in two sets. I've played almost everyone that plays this game online, including Europeans since I spent last summer in Iceland.

Which aspect of SSB64 do you have confidence with? Do you specialize yourself in knowing select characters? Do you have considerable knowledge about 64's physics engine? Maybe you are good at devising training mode combos. Please elaborate on what you think you specialize in.

I'm very knowledgeable about the game's mechanics. For example, I figured out a consistent way to get the reverse ledge DI and apply it regularly in my matches. I have good knowledge of things like what attacks will outprioritize / outrange other attacks, what attacks will hit through platforms in certain positions (simple example is Falcon can up-smash through Dreamland side platforms), applications of different jumps in certain situations (ex: Fox needs a stick jump to jump out of the Hyrule pit without using 2 jumps), and random things like how using aerials during Jiggly's jumps increases the horizontal distance she can cover.

I'm also fairly knowledgeable about how to apply practical combos with many characters on different stages and in different situations. Nothing overly flashy - just simple stuff like maximizing the effectiveness of Falcon Uair combos on Dreamland, how to extend Jiggly's combos long enough that Rest will kill, when f-throw -> Giant Punch works in a DK ditto, etc.

How often do you attend console/online tournaments? Specify between console/online.

I haven't entered an online tournament in about a year now and don't plan on entering any in the near future because I'm very busy with school. I attend console tournaments when possible. I entered Apex 2010 in August and attended a local tournament on March 12th. I plan to enter the Apex 2011 SSB64 tournament and any other nearby ones that occur between now and then.

Are you a Tournament Organiser yourself? If so, how successful are your tournaments? Again, please specify whether the tournament was console or online.

I've never organized a SSB64 tournament, but I have helped run Melee / Brawl tournaments at the annual CornellCon. These events are only for students at my university and are very casual. They have always run smoothly and professionally.

Have you made topics, posts, or videos that benefit the community as a whole? Please indicate relevant contributions with links.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264886

What opinions do you have on the current published tier list and ruleset? All insightful responses are welcome, and extended responses will be read and considered. Show off your ability to be concise and persuasive.

First of all, I don't think the Mages DQ Rule should be part of any published ruleset. It has to do with the efficiency of the tournament, not the gameplay. It's akin to saying something like "TOs should provide x setups where x = ceiling((# of entrants) / 5)." It's just not relevant to the game itself.

I'm also an advocate of Zebes and Saffron City being legal counterpick stages. The main issue with the stages are, obviously, the hazards, but they are very avoidable if you have knowledge of how the stage works. On Zebes it is not difficult to know when the acid is rising (the stage starts to shake) and characters jump and fall slowly enough that players should have no problem avoiding the acid, even when it is at its highest point, unless they get comboed into it. Saffron City is admittedly a bit more random, but the stage is large enough that the Pokemon don't dictate the flow of the match. The most dangerous Pokemon, Electrode, gives you plenty of time to escape, and if you are getting caught in bad situations because of Pokemon popping out, chances are it is because you aren't playing smart in terms of your positioning on the stage. Don't forget that Peach's Castle can screw you over too due to "random elements" (ok, not random, but neither is Zebes acid). The bumper can take away your kills when you land an up-smash or Luigi up-B, and its position is extremely difficult to predict due to lack of an in-game timer. I think the bumper has the potential to affect matches just as much as hazards on Saffron and Zebes.

As for the tier list, I think that the top-2 tiers are spot on. B and C, however, might have some inaccuracies. Luigi being in C-tier is debatable because of his up-B combos - he can kill much more efficiently than the other C-tier characters. Dair -> fastfall Uair is also very potent and underutilized due to its technical difficulty. Jigglypuff, Ness, and DK might need some shuffling but honestly they are all too close for me to have a strong opinion about how they should be ordered.

What do you plan to bring to the SSB64 Backroom that others may not be able to offer?

I can offer years of experience from online and console play and vast knowledge of the entire cast and the game's mechanics. I'm much more knowledgeable about Samus than most people and can definitely give a more informed opinion about stuff relating to Samus since I use her so much.

Is there anything else you would like us to take into account for your selection? Please show your initiative and willingness to be an active, contributing member to the backroom.

I haven't really posted all that much recently, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading the boards - there just hasn't been any discussion that has piqued my interest enough for me to want to reply. I care a lot about this game and if given the opportunity to share my thoughts in a more professional setting you'll definitely see me contributing a lot more than I have been. Thank you for your consideration.[/collapse]

Mahie, it's interesting that you mentioned using SSB64 to get better at Melee because that was my motivation as well. My original plan was to use SSB64 to get better at spacing, adaptation, etc. It's definitely worked wonders.

Oh, by stick jump I meant standing jump. I just called it a stick jump because I have a habit of using the stick to do that kind of jump out of a dash.